PDA

View Full Version : Flat bed trucks

kjslawn
06-14-2008, 09:58 PM
How out there has one? I am thinking of hauling my mower on a flat bed truck instead of pulling a 18 foot traler to save on gas and waer and tear on truck. Looking for 12' or 14' flatbed

93Chevy
06-14-2008, 10:19 PM
If you're looking for 12 or 14 foot flatbed, why do you need an 18' trailer?

kjslawn
06-14-2008, 10:22 PM
If you're looking for 12 or 14 foot flatbed, why do you need an 18' trailer?
I currently hae a 18 trailer with gas @ 4.50 a gallon I was wondering if putting mower in or on the truck would save on gas and wear and tear on truck. I would park the trailer.

jason9696
06-14-2008, 11:11 PM
The cost of buying a flatbed, setting it up and maintaining it would be way higher than any gas savings you might experience. Why do you think it would get better gas mileage than a truck with a reasonable sized trailer?

TPendagast
06-15-2008, 12:37 AM
well first off all there are many more benefits to a flat bed dove tail than savings gas.
No trailer lights always going out, No hooking un hooking.
No issues parking or backing up etc.

Will you make/save more money with a flat bed, yes!

Doyou need 14ft?
I doubt it.

I can fit 2 60" ztrs in 12'x6'

kjslawn
06-15-2008, 05:09 PM
The cost of buying a flatbed, setting it up and maintaining it would be way higher than any gas savings you might experience. Why do you think it would get better gas mileage than a truck with a reasonable sized trailer?

I would think that carrying a load directly over the tires of a truck would give you much better gas milage. Than hauling a 1500lb trailer also no up keep with the trailer. tires lights ,brakes ,treating wood,etc I mean there has to be a reason the big dogs have a cab over dove tail flat bed truck.

kjslawn
06-15-2008, 05:12 PM
well first off all there are many more benefits to a flat bed dove tail than savings gas.
No trailer lights always going out, No hooking un hooking.
No issues parking or backing up etc.

Will you make/save more money with a flat bed, yes!

Doyou need 14ft?
I doubt it.

I can fit 2 60" ztrs in 12'x6'

Yes I only said 14' because as a # I seen this gate that would be great for unloading ZTR or wb www.tailgateramps.com

iseegreen
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Get a trailer ! We all use em. Dont worry about gas and just get out there and work. It will take care of its self. Dont sit around and worry about a few dollars more for gas. Go get 1 more account and make up for it.

kjslawn
06-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Get a trailer ! We all use em. Dont worry about gas and just get out there and work. It will take care of its self. Dont sit around and worry about a few dollars more for gas. Go get 1 more account and make up for it.

I have a trailer thats what I use.I was asking about flat bed trucks If I could save 500 a yr doing somthing different I am going to do it I am not worrying. But in Business if you dont change with the times you could die doing things the old way. Example K-Mart/ Winn- Dixie/ Ford. I always try to look at how I can save $ doing the same thing.

PHS
06-16-2008, 07:17 AM
I always try to look at how I can save $ doing the same thing.

Exactly right, cost is king. Another way to look at it for the work harder not smarter crew. If, using your example, it costs you $500 more to run a trailer, you can't just go out and pick up another $500 account to make up for it because fuel, maintenance, etc. is all post-tax money. You would have to earn in the ballpark of $675 pre-tax to stay even.

addicted56
06-16-2008, 07:58 AM
It is hard to say if it will net your company money, but it probably will. Depends on a lot of things. Fuel economy of your current truck, cost of your current truck, price of the new flatbed, etc.

Also think that it may take a lot more energy to grab some of your smaller hand tools out of a truck bed that is a few feet in the air. Maybe not though depending on how big a truck you get.

It would make it much easier to drive...it would be one less piece of equipment you would have to maintain...greasing axles, tires to replace, and depending on state, liscensing and registration.

I bet it would save money though. Even the smallest of trailers add a significant amount of weight, especially an 18' trailer. The extra rolling resistance of those tires will kill your mileage as well.

You may also want to look into a diesel powered rig depending on how heavy duty you are going to go. Sure it may have higher fuel costs but depending on your driving habit and area, and wieght haulded may save more money per gallon. Just something you will have to figure out yourself.

shepoutside
06-16-2008, 09:03 AM
A rig like this is awe-sum to work out of, and will save you in the long term. Add the fact these are safer for help to drive, and takes less room to park. only downfall I see, is if the truck breaks down, so dose work. A trailer is nice to just hook up to another truck.
I run mini trucks with these type of decks, and would never think of going back to trailers, but that's just how I have my biz set up.

kjslawn
06-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Who says I want more jobs I want less work more profit lol