PDA

View Full Version : Lawns got toasty real fast, this week

General Grounds
06-14-2008, 10:19 PM
:clapping: Thank God, the lawns are finally looking like mid summer, brown and toasty, no maybe i can catch up on the side work. tony

doubleedge
06-14-2008, 10:25 PM
It is still raining alot up here. Last week I had to push some accounts back because of rain.

topsites
06-14-2008, 11:01 PM
I never got this, why do you want to burn the turf?

Actually, for those of you servicing Hoa's, I 'get' it.
But, residentials?

LawnBrother
06-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm behind on OTM work too but damn, I'm sure glad the rain keeps coming, we're like a foot ahead for the year already.

jpmako
06-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Im with Tony
If the growth slows down and turf goes dormant I can catch up on some side work too, Maybe even get some time off over the summer:). This is why I charge Monthly...

shovelracer
06-15-2008, 11:06 AM
How high do you cut your lawns. I have been cutting everyone at 4" for 2 weeks now and they werent affected by the heat yet. If they do get slow then a little rain will pick them back up. As for everyone else I saw some dudes cutting at 3", which is short around here, the other day when it was close to 100*. I may get a few comments about stragglers in the shade, or it being to long, but they will forget about that when their lawn is green and the neighbor's is yellow. I was told once by an old timer that leaving them long shades the roots and helps keep the soil temps down. Even if it is a few degrees that could be all the difference.

lostmdboy
06-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I think too leaving it longer allows the plant to old just that much H2o. Man you should see around here so many peeps cutting it short, and now it is drying up. I just keep praying for rain.

jpmako
06-15-2008, 11:01 PM
We cut at 4" almost all season except for fall clean-ups.
Yes the taller the grass the better it will do in adverse conditions such as high heat/ low moisture environments. here are some other tips for green lawns

1. Proper Fertilization- I use mostly low Nitrogen content fertilizers with a high % of Iron.

2. Proper Watering- Deep infrequent watering as apposed to misting it five times a week.

3. Aeration- Very beneficial to turf for many reasons.

4. Sharp blades- Dull blades hurt lawns and productivity.