PDA

View Full Version : enclosed vs open trailer

tsmiff1
01-03-2002, 04:15 AM
I plan to start mowing and some landscaping full time next year. Since I will be going to full time I will need a bigger trailer. Should I get an enclosed or open???? I started to get an enclosed when I bought my first trailer but the summer heat changed my mind. Thanks for any suggestions.
Tracey

ohiolawnguy
01-03-2002, 04:50 AM
many variables involved there. do you have storage space, (IE garage or warehouse)? if not, enclosed may be way to go. just drive it back home and park it. now, if you do have storage space, the cost of an enclosed may be a factor.. all but one of our trailers are open trailers. the enclosed is used for ladscaping only(great for not causing any windburn on a plant when hauling it from a nursery 40-50 miles away down the highway).i suppose experience in pulling a trailer could be a factor, but that really is just a matter of getting familiar with the particular trailer. some people find difficulty backing up an enclosed trailer. mastering that just comes from practice, and using your mirrors. how long of a trailer are you considering?

mdb landscaping
01-03-2002, 12:15 PM
i bought an enclosed trailer 8 by 14 last year. i thought i would miss the open trailer, but i needed it for storage. its absolutely great at the end of the day, to just unhook and drive away. it took a little getting used to backing up using my mirrors, but i caught on quickly. the only thing i miss is gassing up the mowers right on the trailer. it just takes a little longer to unload and fuel up.

http://www.stslawncare.com/STS%20Lawn%20Care%20MDB%20Landscaping3.htm

heres a pic of my trailer. you may want to consider V-nose if you go enclosed, it makes it a little easier to pull. definately get at least two vents and side vents. i regret only haveing one roof vent.

tsmiff1
01-03-2002, 12:50 PM
I currently have an open 6x10. I need something to put a walker, 48" walk behind, and a 21" mower on comfortably. Thanks.

ohiolawnguy
01-03-2002, 01:10 PM
if you can afford it, just buy a 16ft trailer, open or closed, in a couple years, youll have it full of equipment. if you just buy a 12ft one youll be looking for another one before the season is over

gogetter
01-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Hey Tracey, I know sometimes people get tired of hearing this said, but use the search feature. Especially for this question, because this has been discussed alot here and there is some really great posts on this topic already.

Flex-Deck
01-03-2002, 10:35 PM
All I know is I have a 24' enclosed trailer, and it gives me a lot of advertizing, and also acts as a garage. I would never go back to an open trailer.

tsmiff1
01-04-2002, 01:50 AM
I just thought of something that may be the deciding factor. What about leaves in the fall? How complicated is this work with an enclosed trailer????????
Tracey

gogetter
01-04-2002, 02:32 AM
Tracey, good question. First a question for you.
Do you have to pay to dump? If so you may want to look into finding someone in your area that has a truck loader.
I used a guy this past fall. I get the leaves to the curb, call him and he comes by and sucks them up into his truck.
For what he charged me, it came out to about the same (if not less), then what it would have cost me in travel time and dump fees to take them to my local facility.
I didn't even have to bring my trailer. Just threw the blowers in the pick up.
With this method, you can go with an enclosed trailer.

David Haggerty
01-04-2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
heres a pic of my trailer. you may want to consider V-nose if you go enclosed, it makes it a little easier to pull. definately get at least two vents and side vents. i regret only haveing one roof vent.
That's a really nice looking trailer!
Check a camping trailer supply for adding your own vents.

Dave

Lawn Dog2001
01-04-2002, 09:19 AM
If you have the funds buy the enclosed. I bought a 6.5 by 12 open trailer 2 1/2 years ago. I really wish I would have looked closer at enclosed trailers.

fshrdan
01-04-2002, 11:05 AM
tsmiff1, I can get a Walker, 44"WB and 21" trim easily on my 6X12 trailer. I've got a cage on it for BP blowers and sprayers, hedge trimmers, etc. Right now I'm in the market for an enclosed trailer, though. My Walker is new, and I don't want to have to unload it every night and put it in the garage.

Why don't you plan on keeping your open trailer for cleanups and stuff. They are only +/- $700, and they sure are handy when you have to make a trip to the landfill.

mdb- Is that a door in the v-nose part of your trailer? I've never seen that around here. How do you utilize that v-nose space? It seems like it'd be a good place to build shelves for the little stuff.

Mowin4cash
01-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Can I get 1 each of a 50", a 60" and a 72" Dixie Chopper in a 8 X 20 enclosed? How about a 6'4" X 18 open?

Mike

HOMER
01-04-2002, 11:46 AM
Mowin 4...............I saw 2 Walkers and a Lazer in a 20 footer the other day.....it was wall to wall but he made it. The 72 just barely fits between my wheelwells and I think mine is an 8.5 wide trailer. That - I would question on an 8'.

earthandturf
01-06-2002, 10:56 AM
An enclosed trailer is the only way to go. I have a 16' Cargo Pro with 2 side vents, 2 roof vents and reinforced sideboards. It looks much more professional than an open trailer, is a rolling billboard and keeps all my equipment organized and out of the weather (and out of the garage too).:blob3:

6inline
01-06-2002, 03:12 PM
MDB:? What brand of enclosed trailer is your trailer? Also what is the frame material and gvw on that trailer? Thanks, great looking trailer.

tsmiff1
01-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys.
Earthandturf, how do you use your enclosed for leaves? I will probably go with an enclosed if I become convinced I won't regret it in the fall.
Tracey

Allyn
01-07-2002, 12:06 AM
This is my trailer. I hope that this came out. I have had open and enclosed. I would stay this the enclosed. I have never hand any tools stolen. I have room for just about all my equipment. Any leaves and grass I put in the truck.

Allyn