PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a deal on a 580D??

xjcraver
06-15-2008, 12:43 AM
First post, maybe a dumb question, so be easy on me...

Anyway, I found an 80's model 580D 2WD with a severely bad engine that can be had for 2500 bucks (and maybe even less, depending on my negotiating skills). It needs a rebuild on the Mitsubishi, and maybe an injector or two. The rest of the unit appears to be in fine shape, and everything works (it will start and run at the moment). Hour meter shows a tick over 6,000, and it was bought new and used until recently by a local golf course.

Now, I only mow about 15 acres total, once a week, for myself and the in-laws. I own a construction company and farm on the side, so making the mowing take as little time as possible would be greatly beneficial. And since these are supposed to cut 14 acres/hr., it should definately whittle down the seat time! And, not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty handy and could take care of the rebuild (minus machine work) here at the farm shop. So...

Buy it, pass, or stfu and go away... Thoughts??

-J

desii
06-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Don't do it. JMO. Unless your sure you can do the rebuild. I just found out today that my 580D's Mitsu engine needs replaced / rebuilt. Somewhere in the 10K + range to have the dealer do it. The (apparent) hard part is getting the parts for the older Mitsu engine. Mine is a '94, so I'm sure your 80's machine will be even tougher.

If you do attempt it, please let us know how it goes. I don't think I'm going to sink any $$ into mine, but I'm not sure just yet, but I'm thinking about going down the same road as your seller did!

bridley
05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
desii, did you do anything with your 580d i

kaferhaus
05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
you'd just be throwing good money after bad. I wouldn't touch it if it were free.