PDA

View Full Version : Is washing you mower ok?

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
06-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if washing you mower off with the hose is ok. I want the mowers to look good and clean but will washing them with the hose rust them. (I'm Assuming) What do you guys do to keep them clean?:confused::hammerhead:

Thanks
Ryan

TPendagast
06-15-2008, 12:31 AM
yes it is.

Do not power wash mower's engine.

topsites
06-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Compressed air here, but it doesn't matter, water or air over the years will strip or otherwise damage the finish and eventually it starts to rust... Of course so does leaving it dirty, so just do the best you can all I know.

Some wash it, others blow it off, some leave it dirty.
Take your pick lol

brianhanson37
06-15-2008, 03:50 AM
I clean my equipment every few weeks, I have repainted a deck that was over 6 years old and made the mower look like new so in my opinion, painting is the best cleaner. Even though you can't repaint your deck after a job every time lol.

zemzabob
06-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Clean good dirty bad.lol

punt66
06-15-2008, 08:44 AM
I blow mine off at the end of every day and power wash it every saturday. I even armoral the plastic and tires hahha. I know its silly because after the first cut its dirty again but i like to see it shining in the garage and it also allows me to do a good inpection when its clean.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-15-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't recommend it,water and all the elec fittings will not work,+ the key switches always get stuck when there wet......:hammerhead:

metro36
06-15-2008, 08:57 AM
I hose it off and blow the water off with the back pack.

ALC-GregH
06-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I try to keep my Tiger Cub clean but when you get it stuck in mud up to the frame, sometimes you HAVE to wash it with water. LOL Yes, I got my Tiger Cub completely buried in the mud yesterday. I was mowing in a fenced area near a pond on the farm I hang out at and sure enough it was way softer then I thought and couldn't tell it had standing water. I made it in, looked back and thought, great, it's muddy. The wet part is only going through the gate area, the rest was dry. I finished mowing and tried to get out, first attempt, stopped me dead, managed to back up out of it, thought, OK, full bore and I should make it, wrong, it sunk in so deep it wouldn't even move.

You can rest assured, I'll make damn well sure I take the striping roller off the back next time I try that move again. LOL Yep, I'm a idiot, tried making it with a striping roller on the mower. shakes head in shame...... :hammerhead:

To answer your question though, water is fine to clean the mower, it won't rust over night if you get it wet.

punt66
06-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Have you guys never mowed in the rain? Its ok to get mowers wet! They are made for it! I happen to use an enclosed trailer so my machines get less wet than most and i power wash. Dirt will do much more damage than water. But to each his own. I am only a ASE certified master mechanic but what do i know right.

Firefighter337
06-15-2008, 10:07 AM
it also allows me to do a good inpection when its clean.

The best answer yet.

I wash my equipment and then dry it with the blower.

WHIPPLE5.7
06-15-2008, 10:37 AM
I power wash under the decks every weekend, then sharpen blades, set machine down and lightly rinse off any other dirty parts(tires, top of deck, etc.) I also let the machines idle while I'm washing close to engine area so if any water gets in the air cleaner it drys out instantly and saves from problems later. Since I power wash often I wash away some of the grease so I regrease my zerts after washing so no water stays in there and rust.

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
06-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey thanks for all the help everyone!

Ryan :usflag:

SoloSulkySurfer
06-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Since I power wash often I wash away some of the grease so I regrease my zerts after washing so no water stays in there and rust.

Yep, a very important part of washing your mower, regreasing afterwords.:clapping:

John Gamba
06-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if washing you mower off with the hose is ok. I want the mowers to look good and clean but will washing them with the hose rust them. (I'm Assuming) What do you guys do to keep them clean?:confused::hammerhead:

Thanks
Ryan

NO! It promotes rust in the welds and you can wash grease out of the joints.

DaughtryLC
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
There is a car wash in one town I work in and every couple of weeks or if it needs it Ill go by and wash. By the time Im home everything is dry. Open trailer of couse!!

STIHL GUY
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
i blow mine off with the backpack blower after i mow

John Gamba
06-15-2008, 08:43 PM
i blow mine off with the backpack blower after i mow

Smoth move. a rag works well also.

lifetree
06-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I hose it off and blow the water off with the back pack.

Same here !!

ed2hess
06-15-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't recommend it,water and all the elec fittings will not work,+ the key switches always get stuck when there wet......:hammerhead:

I agree mowers should not be washed and should be kept out of the rain when not on the job. Water can even get into sealed bearing if it sits on them and into all the non greased pivots. And the best of decks will rust at the weld joints so why hurry that along.

bohiaa
06-16-2008, 10:32 PM
We wash ours, AND KEEP THE TRUCK CLEAN.....

We have gotten several new customers simply because we look Clean.

Also it can really change the atuide of your self, Employees and your customers....

I just hate seeing a bunch of dirty guys pull up in a dirty truck with dirty equiptment, reguardless of what there doing....

Keep it clean guys

JB1
06-16-2008, 10:48 PM
hot water pressure washer, no problems and it hasn't rusted down.

Green Team Landscaping
06-22-2008, 07:34 PM
It's better than leaving it dirty.

Lawnut101
06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
I was and blow it off. If it's got mainly grass on it, then I will just blow it off. But if it's muddy, then I will wash it off.

mngrassguy
06-23-2008, 12:22 AM
I was told to avoid the sealed bearings when preasure washing. I use the blower after each job and wash with water only if it needs it.

MowHouston
06-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Straight from the Exmark website:

"Clean your unit as often as possible, but minimize the use of water. Water under pressure + detergent = corrosion and problems. Pressure washers clean great, but they also put water and detergents into places that can be very detrimental to your equipment. Use compressed air or blowers as much as possible. Also make sure you grease and lubricate the unit afterward if water was used."

Fine Cut
06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a honda HR214SX that my dad bought in 1986. When he got it he washed it with the water hose after every time he used it. Now I just finished putting a new rear axle and bearings. The bearings had rusted out and eventually wore the shaft in two. Also we have replaced the handle bars, because they rusted in two. So even thou it might keep it cleaner, in the long run washing it with water screws stuff up.

punt66
06-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Thats a bunch of nonsence. Water will give you swim ear so dont take a shower!

MUDFLAP
06-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I was told by dealer at point of purchase to blow them off, and NOT to use pressure washer on equipment, but hand washing with a hose would be ok. I dont think water is the problem, water under pressure is.

MowHouston
06-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Thats a bunch of nonsence. Water will give you swim ear so dont take a shower!

No... It isn't nonsenSe. It promotes rust, etc. I'm sure dealers and manufacturers aren't saying it for fun.

By the way, swim ear is caused by bacteria or fungi, both of which are not very (if at all) present in city water systems. Thus, the reason you get it from SWIMing in areas with bacteria/fungi such as lakes and rivers.

So. Yeah, water, especially high pressure water isnt good for the equipment. Good attempt at a joke though.

punt66
06-25-2008, 07:16 AM
No... It isn't nonsenSe. It promotes rust, etc. I'm sure dealers and manufacturers aren't saying it for fun.

By the way, swim ear is caused by bacteria or fungi, both of which are not very (if at all) present in city water systems. Thus, the reason you get it from SWIMing in areas with bacteria/fungi such as lakes and rivers.

So. Yeah, water, especially high pressure water isnt good for the equipment. Good attempt at a joke though.

As a former swimmer, i can tell you the dozens of times i had swim ear it was never from a lake or pond ;)

Oh dont wash your truck either it might rust. And never drive in the rain!

MowHouston
06-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Swimming pools too, still more bacteria in there than your shower water.

Your truck (or at least mine) is protected by a layer of clear coat. I'm pretty sure most vehicles are the same.

Now, you dont want to power wash your truck -engine- for the same reasons that you dont want to power wash your machines.

Give it up already. This is getting stupid. It is obvious that water can lead to rust and damage to your machines.

punt66
06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Swimming pools too, still more bacteria in there than your shower water.

Your truck (or at least mine) is protected by a layer of clear coat. I'm pretty sure most vehicles are the same.

Now, you dont want to power wash your truck -engine- for the same reasons that you dont want to power wash your machines.

Give it up already. This is getting stupid. It is obvious that water can lead to rust and damage to your machines.

ok your right. :dizzy:

MUDFLAP
06-25-2008, 01:41 PM
My FERRIS is still under warranty, so if it gets a ear infection, i should be covered.

LawnBrother
06-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I suggest using a hose and blowing it off with a backpack blower. Avoid pressure washing as it will force water in where it doesn't belong.

mngrassguy
06-25-2008, 10:37 PM
My FERRIS is still under warranty, so if it gets a ear infection, i should be covered.

Wait 'till the warranty is up...it'll start cryin' like a wittle baby.:laugh:

MowHouston
06-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I would think that your machine will be damaged after warranty. Also, I wonder if your warranty would cover it since you're the one doing the damage when the manufacturer specifies not to clean it in that manner.

Not saying that is the case, but it might be some things to think about.

Edit: Yay post 300!

Lil'MowinMan93
06-28-2008, 12:17 AM
i do the same as metro 36 no rust and easy as pie lol

1MajorTom
06-28-2008, 12:38 AM
NO! It promotes rust in the welds and you can wash grease out of the joints.

ditto.....

punt66
06-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I would think that your machine will be damaged after warranty. Also, I wonder if your warranty would cover it since you're the one doing the damage when the manufacturer specifies not to clean it in that manner.

Not saying that is the case, but it might be some things to think about.

Edit: Yay post 300!

My dealer pressure washes every machine that comes in for service or repair. New or old. HHMMM Just use common sense. Dont pressure wash the carb, or directly on electronics and grease machine after your done. Keep equipment clean.

JB1
06-28-2008, 12:44 PM
My dealer pressure washes every machine that comes in for service or repair. New or old. HHMMM Just use common sense. Dont pressure wash the carb, or directly on electronics and grease machine after your done. Keep equipment clean.

thats the problem, there is no common sense anymore.

MowHouston
06-28-2008, 06:56 PM

Give me the number to your dealer so I can ask him why he's doing the opposite of what the manufacturer recommends.

heather lawn sp
06-28-2008, 07:17 PM
1994 mower
2003 mower
2005 mower
2005 mower
2007 mower

power wash and grease when done

punt66
06-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Give me the number to your dealer so I can ask him why he's doing the opposite of what the manufacturer recommends.

Give it up people. If you want dirty machines then dont wash them.

coopmaster
06-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Again common sense works best. Pressure wash in areas that are common to grass build up. Avoid electronics and grease fittings. If an area can be cleaned by using a blower then by all means use the blower.
I like adding a little Simply Green into the pressure washer tank. It works great.

ferriswheels
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
So what powerwasher to buy. Go with gas and maby do a few jobs or an electric just for around the farm. I have a felling that with this crowd its bigger is better.

Steve

Amble Lawn and Gardens

punt66
06-30-2008, 07:14 PM
So what powerwasher to buy. Go with gas and maby do a few jobs or an electric just for around the farm. I have a felling that with this crowd its bigger is better.

Steve

Amble Lawn and Gardens

Well actualy im on year 4 with a excell 6.5hp home depot unit. Washes my equipment every weekend and i do maybe 4 pressure washing jobs a year for my regulars. I dont offer pressure washing services but will do a few jobs. I did one this morning. A 12 X 18 second floor deck. 2 hours for $225.

punt66
06-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Oh i am on my third pressure hose and second trigger assembly. Not a commercial unit but works for what i want it for.

ed2hess
06-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Still think it is bad idea to put water on these units. Last nite I was to lazy to put tarps on my trailer and it rained(first time in months). Well I replaced the trimmer before I left the shop because I new they won't start. I look over and the guys are pulling the cords on the blowers until they almost dropped. Yep water in the air cleaner area...will have to to into those. Two hours later the big scag wouldn't run and guess what the rain got into the fuse holders and they shorted and blew. I knew when the unit only runs on full chock the pull down solenoid is not working and that was the fuse that blew.

punt66
06-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Still think it is bad idea to put water on these units. Last nite I was to lazy to put tarps on my trailer and it rained(first time in months). Well I replaced the trimmer before I left the shop because I new they won't start. I look over and the guys are pulling the cords on the blowers until they almost dropped. Yep water in the air cleaner area...will have to to into those. Two hours later the big scag wouldn't run and guess what the rain got into the fuse holders and they shorted and blew. I knew when the unit only runs on full chock the pull down solenoid is not working and that was the fuse that blew.

All my equipment is kept in my enclosed trailer so it doesnt get rained on. The only water it sees is when its washed or the occasional shower during a job. I dont pressure wash handhelds and never leave them sitting in the rain. Aftter pressure washing the mowers the blower comes out to dry them and the grease gun to follow. Never any problems.

heather lawn sp
07-01-2008, 02:06 PM
We leave 'em out in a Canadian winter on the trailer and fire 'em up in the spring