PDA

View Full Version : T350 Or Fs250?

NORTHMAN
06-15-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm thinking about getting a heavy duty trimmer,I wanted a Shindaiwa T270 but gave up hope of finding a new one,the other option to me would go bigger and heavier,either the Shindaiwa T350 or Stihl FS250,the Stihl is more powerful but I've had great luck with Shindaiwa products,I do have some questions please?Has any one used both and how do they compare?Does the loop handle FS250 and T350 have an attachment for a strap?Loop handle or bike handle?Thanks.I just relized I posted in the wrong forum,should have been Commercial mowing,would a Moderator please move,thanks.

johnnybravo8802
06-15-2008, 10:19 AM
I bought an FS 250 about three years ago and it's been very dependable. I was running FS 80's, bought 2 on the same day and had major probs. with both. I had been running the 80's before and had had really good luck. I started thinking they were mass producing them and had gotten cheap and that's when I switched to the 250. However, I've never been impressed with the power since day one. It's a 40+ cc engine but it doesn't feel like it. I have a 40cc Husky clearing saw and they are night and day with the power-may be because of the gearing. All-in-all, I feel like the only thing I gained was weight and no power. It's a big weedeater that makes a lot of noise. I have some heavy trimming I do on embankments and around ponds and it's not enough!!!Hope this helps. If I had wanted a weedeater for trimming around houses, I could have gotten another FS80 that's much lighter:hammerhead::hammerhead:

SNAPPER MAN
06-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I have 2 FS-250R's and love them. My guys would not use a new lighter 4 mix FS-100RX when I bought it for them because they wanted power over lightweight. The 250 is very powerful and you can feel the 40cc's. Ive learned to never let a new guy use it because it is so different than most other trimmers. They are the best in my personal opinion.

Just Mow
06-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I run the 250r's. Powerful,dependable. Just a beast and lighter than the shiny. What more could you want.

tacoma200
06-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I have 2 FS-250R's and love them. My guys would not use a new lighter 4 mix FS-100RX when I bought it for them because they wanted power over lightweight. The 250 is very powerful and you can feel the 40cc's. Ive learned to never let a new guy use it because it is so different than most other trimmers. They are the best in my personal opinion.

I've seen the same thing. You would think they would go for the light trimmers but if they get there first they grab the 250.

jkilov
06-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Stay away from T350. It weights a ton ! Without the strap you'll die.

I still see some LCOs in my area that use the FS250. Some swear by it. It's the only large thing out there that's light enough for normal use. And from what I hear it's bullet-proof.

Personally, I don't ever consider trimmers with more than 1.5hp. Never need that power and the weight kills you. You must be cutting some serious stuff.

tacoma200
06-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I keep 3 sizes 55, 80 and the 250. The 55 is supposed to be a consumer model but I have been using it for years with no problems except the on/off switch. I would have chosen a slightly smaller model than the 250 but I wanted a 2 cycle and all he had was 4 mix. I don't regret it a bit, it has knocked a lot of time off some trimming jobs. I will run the 2 cycle Stihls as long as I can.

K/B
06-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Stay away from T350. It weights a ton ! Without the strap you'll die.

Have you used the T350?

johnnybravo8802
06-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I guess it depends on what you're using it for. I couldn't really see a big difference between the 80 and 250 and I do a lot of heavy trimming-ditches, embankments,ponds with really tall and thick growth. I am solo so I speak from a lot of personal use. If you compare the 250 to my 240R, it doesn't hold a candle. Of course, I also do a lot of clearing and the Husky will slice through a 4" tree like it's nothing-you can imagine what it does with cord. I used to use a fixed head and it would break the 130 cord faster than I could re thread it so I went to a tap-and-go. With the bicycle handlebars, they are a huge advantage when you mow acres of fence line and ditches and do a lot of walking because the weight floats on your shoulders. For lighter use though, go with the loop handle.

jkilov
06-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Have you used the T350?
Only as a loaner while my T270 was in the shop. This was years back.
Now I'm no macho but not a sissy pushover either. That thing was heavy! :weightlifter:

Luckily, I picked up the T270 the next day and it was like welcome back honey. Big difference in weight. After many rewarding seasons I retired it and replaced with a 3410 that feels the same weight.

K/B
06-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Only as a loaner while my T270 was in the shop. This was years back.
Now I'm no macho but not a sissy pushover either. That thing was heavy! :weightlifter:

Luckily, I picked up the T270 the next day and it was like welcome back honey. Big difference in weight. After many rewarding seasons I retired it and replaced with a 3410 that feels the same weight.

:) Thanks.

To the original poster, why not try a T3410?

jkilov
06-15-2008, 04:25 PM
:) To the original poster, why not try a T3410?
My guess is he wants a 2-stroke. These C4 engines seem to spook off peps. I've yet to see anyone else use one in my area.

Also very expensive but worth every penny.

nosparkplugs
06-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Stihl FS250R, you need to look at the weight at 13oz it's only 2oz heavier than the next smaller Stihl model?. So I cannot understand all this whining about weight. We only use the Stihl FS250R now their smooth running, well balanced, very powerful.

NORTHMAN
06-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.Its correct that I want a 2-stroke.