PDA

View Full Version : To those that sold their business

ALarsh
06-15-2008, 08:56 PM
To those that sold their lawn care business, how do you know feel about the decision you made after selling. Are you relieved to be doing something else and are you happy with the decision you made? I would like to hear from those individuals that had an established business (at least 60 accounts) that sold their business and what their gut feeling on it has been.

Thanks

John Gamba
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
To those that sold their lawn care business, how do you know feel about the decision you made after selling. Are you relieved to be doing something else and are you happy with the decision you made? I would like to hear from those individuals that had an established business (at least 60 accounts) that sold their business and what their gut feeling on it has been.

Thanks

I got out just in time(under bidders).ive never made a better decision in my life(the timing). i do miss the cutting(i love the mowers).

ALarsh
06-15-2008, 09:15 PM
What have you been doing now? Are you starting up a new business or have any future ideas of what you want to do?

Thanks for the reply John.

John Gamba
06-15-2008, 09:41 PM
What have you been doing now? Are you starting up a new business or have any future ideas of what you want to do?

Thanks for the reply John.

I did some house flipping,spa sales in general.i would like to do retail food of some sorts in the near future..

The great thing about flipping was i put the bid in for the landscape-mowing and got it every time:laugh: no matter how high the bid was:laugh::waving:

Make sure if you sell you have enough to do your next step.

lifetree
06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
I got out just in time(under bidders).ive never made a better decision in my life(the timing). i do miss the cutting(i love the mowers).

John -- When did you sell your business ?? What were the reasons that brought you to that decision ?? From the posts you've made here on LS I thought you were going to be doing this the rest f you're life !!

Green Finger
06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
When you sell it's like getting a divorce. or Spliting yourself into two. To me It was all I knew. You are someone, people know you, Relationships are formed that is all i knew. Lawn Business. I had over 75 accounts, crews, govt. contracts the whole gambit.

Yes i have a degree, it's not about working in ac with a shirt and tie. It's something about having your own business. watching it grow.

I sold I was miserable. I took four years off. Back in the business. Wiser, part-time yes. Peace of mind of course

lifetree
06-15-2008, 10:09 PM
When you sell it's like getting a divorce. or Spliting yourself into two. To me It was all I knew. You are someone, people know you, Relationships are formed that is all i knew. Lawn Business. I had over 75 accounts, crews, govt. contracts the whole gambit.

Yes i have a degree, it's not about working in ac with a shirt and tie. It's something about having your own business. watching it grow.

I sold I was miserable. I took four years off. Back in the business. Wiser, part-time yes. Peace of mind of course

Interesting story, thanks for sharing !!

Mowingman
06-15-2008, 11:48 PM
I got out last year after 25 years of full and part time mowing and landscaping. At one time I had 3 crews and nearly 200 properties with several large municipal contracts. I am so happy I got out last year. This spring was very relaxing for once, no phone ringing at all hours with customers wanting me there right away.
The guys who bought my business call often with questions and talk about how far behind they are. I just laugh and tell them that is part of it, you never seem to get caught up.
I do miss running the ZTR's. I have always liked machinery. Currently I am just grinding stumps by myself, and doing some contract land clearing with a forestry mulcher. No payroll to worry about, no personnel problems, no scheduling problems. I am a pretty happy camper right now. I really do not miss the daily mowing grind at all.

johnnybravo8802
06-16-2008, 12:08 AM
One question-Why would anyone be on this site who sold there business and got out of the Green Industry????;)

Green Finger
06-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Keyword no payroll. Sleep at night, no stress. All the money that comes in is YOURS!!!!

Just because guys sold thier business does not mean they are out of touch. It just doesn't go away. This site is for current and former LCO.

Sometimes they offer wisdom and insite to the young guys comming up in the business.

ALarsh
06-16-2008, 01:10 AM
These are the kind of responses I was hoping for. Glad to hear that most are happy with their decision. I think I am leaning towards selling out within the year, depending on how the progress into my new business idea goes.

I do enjoy running the Z and making some lawns look the best they ever will, but I don't enjoy doing it for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, etc. And I don't think the answer for me is to just hire somebody to do it for me. It is a lot easier said than done.

greenred
06-16-2008, 02:04 AM
One question-Why would anyone be on this site who sold there business and got out of the Green Industry????;)

Because we still like to follow the industry, love the equipment like big kids, like to help out new guys, learn from other pros, and talk about a love/hate subject that only those who have done it can relate to.

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Because we still like to follow the industry, love the equipment like big kids, like to help out new guys, learn from other pros, and talk about a love/hate subject that only those who have done it can relate to.

Bingo,Saved me from what i hate to do----typing----what he said:cool2::waving:

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 06:55 AM
John -- When did you sell your business ?? What were the reasons that brought you to that decision ?? From the posts you've made here on LS I thought you were going to be doing this the rest f you're life !!

#1 5.5 years ago.#2 Money:cool2:#3 I love the mowers:waving:

daysel
06-16-2008, 09:28 AM

Personal interest. Why does anyone get on any site?:rolleyes:

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Personal interest. Why does anyone get on any site?:rolleyes:

Bad Habits:laugh:

larryinalabama
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
I sold my business in So California to move to Alabama in 1993. To this day I still miss it. Im now trying to build a new business. Ive quit alot of jobs and never looked back. I would never sell a sucessful landscape business to go work for someone else.

johnnybravo8802
06-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I sold my business in So California to move to Alabama in 1993. To this day I still miss it. Im now trying to build a new business. Ive quit alot of jobs and never looked back. I would never sell a sucessful landscape business to go work for someone else.
I agree 100%. Once you've worked for yourself, it sucks to work for someone else. The freedom is what it's about to me + yr. round contracts that pay the same in the winter and you're working 1/4 as much-can't do that at a regular job.

ALarsh
06-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Well I would still be self employed... just in a different industry.

I think I am going to ease into the new business idea in the next several months or so to see if I can develop a client base.

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Well I would still be self employed... just in a different industry.

I think I am going to ease into the new business idea in the next several months or so to see if I can develop a client base.

Keep us Posted:cool2: Good Luck:)

Charles
06-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I think it has more to do with loving your job. Whether it be self employed or working for someone else. Once you lose interest then any type situation becomes a drag. You also have to work with good people whether self employed or working a regular job

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I think it has more to do with loving your job. Whether it be self employed or working for someone else. Once you lose interest then any type situation becomes a drag. You also have to work with good people whether self employed or working a regular job

I love MONEY! no Money no interest:weightlifter:

Charles
06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I love MONEY! no Money no interest:weightlifter:

I made great money last month and am still bored with mowing lawns. I think I have mowed one lawn too many:laugh:

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I made great money last month and am still bored with mowing lawns. I think I have mowed one lawn too many:laugh:

My last day(on Ls) i'm going to post that pic i have of you on the back of your boat:cool2::laugh::waving:

johnnybravo8802
06-17-2008, 10:09 PM
You're exactly right!!! That's what gripes me about this business-too easy to get into and people think it looks easy. I've seen people get into this business that I was mowing for 20 yrs. ago. They didn't have one interest in the business and were too lazy to mow their own grass and now they're doing it. I can mow 7 days/wk. and still get excited about Monday. It's a passion and everyone needs to search until they find that passion in whatever they do-don't just settle!:clapping: