PDA

View Full Version : Equipment running hot

lewdo
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Last summer I noticed that when the temps were over 90 degrees after 5-6 hours of running my equipment I had difficulty starting them back up between jobs. I am starting to experience that again. Has anyone had this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

I run Stihl blowers and trimmers and John Deere ZTR 737 and 810. No problem with the 810 so far as it is new, but have already noticed it on the 737 and the blowers.

Thanks.

wiselawns
06-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Both my echo trimmers do the same thing when it gets over 85 or so. They usually start okay but i have to choke them for a few minutes before i start trimming. Whats weird is that when they do this if I turn them sideways and start trimming along sidewalks and such they will do just fine, but if i hold them upright and try to trim around a tree or something they will bog down for a couple of minutes. But when its below 8o or even cold as hell out they both fire right up and go like crazy. My echo backpack blower doesnt give me this problem. The scag is the same way when it is hot out. It wont fire immediately on the trailor after a few yards unless I choke it real fast.

lewdo
06-17-2008, 10:18 PM
guess it's just me and you that have this problem. sux to be us....:hammerhead:

Jason Rose
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Well I have the same troubles. the 27hp kohler on the Grasshopper gets harder and harder to start the hotter it gets, as well as the 20hp Walker. Heck, it barely wants to run after it's sat on the trailer between jobs. I think a lot of it has to do with the CRAP gasoline we have to deal with now that has ethanol in it. The ethanol and super hot running air cooled engines dosn't mix well all the time. I think it tends to evaporate in the fuel lines that are close to the hot engine when it's off.

txgrassguy
06-18-2008, 12:18 AM
85* isn't hot.
Come down to central Texas where my crews operate.
We are experiencing our 27th day straight of 100*+ temps.
And no, we don't experience hard starts.
Keep the cooling fins clean of accumulated build-up, blow the grass off of the mower before putting it back on the trailer and change your fuel filter every oil change or during periods of temp changes and you will be alright.
Almost all of my mowers see 500 hrs or so each year in temps ranging from right at freezing to perhaps 115* will not experience noticeable problems.

mngrassguy
06-18-2008, 12:28 AM
All my stuff starts on the first pull everytime except my Exmarks. They are electric starts. lol As far as getting hot out, it seldom gets over 90 here. Ice just came off the lakes a few weeks ago.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Richard Martin
06-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Just like I preach that you should never shut a hot mower off without letting it idle for a minute or so I going to say the same about your 2 stroke equipment. The only time I have trouble restarting equipment is when I have to shut it off immediately after using it. For example a customer walks out and wants to talk right then and there. Shut the trimmer off and yack. Then I have to pull the trimmer 20 times to get it to restart. I'll usually let them idle for 10 or 15 seconds before shutting them off on the way back to the trailer.

Atlantic Lawn
06-18-2008, 07:01 AM
A coil that's marginal will lead to start up problems.

Oldtimer
06-18-2008, 07:03 AM
The quality of fuel can certainly be an issue. Try BP 89 octane. We use BP and Opti-2 in everything we use, sell & service with excellent results. I began using this mix in 1983 and feel it is the best available.

Oldtimer

Carolina Cuts
06-18-2008, 07:14 AM
'For example a customer walks out and wants to talk right then and there. '

don't ya love that? I have one, cool lil' old man.... but he forever and always comes out with a check, when I have 2-3 passes left to make on the mower. Drives me up a wall, but it's ok cause he's paying me (on time) and he's been throwing me an extra $10- this season.

jkilov
06-18-2008, 07:50 AM
This is EPA again. All new engines run leaner than ever before. This means they run hot and are harder to start/restart. Nothing you can do about it really. Just keep the cooling fins as clean as practical and perhaps consider an L/C engine next time.

As for the handhelds if any have adjustible carbs then adjust to richer mixture (1/4 c.c. hi-end needle).

I don't know how you guys cope with the heat. I can hardly work in the mid's of the day.

milkie62
06-18-2008, 11:47 PM
My Husky dealer said he got a ton of calls 2 wks ago on this.He said it is vapor lock since most everything is running lean non-adjustable carbs now and 10% ethanol.Hot muggy weather kills them.

Richard Martin
06-19-2008, 04:25 AM
My Husky dealer said he got a ton of calls 2 wks ago on this.He said it is vapor lock since most everything is running lean non-adjustable carbs now and 10% ethanol.Hot muggy weather kills them.

Can't be vapor lock. Pushing the primer bulb would cure that. My FI Dixie Chopper will do it too and vapor lock isn't possible. As soon as you hit the key the lines are pressurized with fuel at 80 PSI.

02DURAMAX
06-19-2008, 04:45 AM
my mowers start on the first pull every Time...and 2-Strokes take abut 2 to 3 pulls..