PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood Flyers

puffyhead929
06-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Im 16 and i was wondering if it was a good idea to put something like "My name is David. I'm 16 and go to Novi High School. I work hard and use professional equipment. I live at ....... if you would like to look at my yard...." is it a good idea to put something like that on a flyer in my neighborhood?

STIHL GUY
06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
you should put down your phone # and your services (mowing mulch leaves) and a logo to start

puffyhead929
06-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Yea i already have a flyer i put out about 2 months ago and got 8 accounts (all but one were from work of mouth) I was thinking of attaching this to the flyer because i wanted to put that i also do mulching now (i have 300 flyers left over and dont want to go and print up new ones)

mowerbrad
06-15-2008, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't put your street address on your flyers. You don't know who will get your flyer.

NOOB
06-15-2008, 11:22 PM
being 16 and in high school Is what differance than being one of the other lawn people in your area ????

puffyhead929
06-15-2008, 11:24 PM
some people like to hire a high school kid who works hard to save up money to pay for college

CosmicCharley
06-15-2008, 11:31 PM
I handed out around 100 flyers, & not one person called me. I got my accounts from word of mouth from the people's yards I made look rock hard. I had this POS yard that an elderly couple owned, & it was nice grass, but just really, really long, & unkempt.

People were stunned that I did such a good job on the lawn, that they called me.

So...whatever you do, do it solid & people will come to you.

greenred
06-16-2008, 01:45 AM
I found fliers to be a great way to gain new customers. At the beginning of every year if I had room for new customers I would target neighborhoods I wanted to expand into and would pass out fliers in those areas. With the help of my father who is a pro at photoshop we would design a flier, print off a master copy, then I would go down to kinkos and make a few hundred copies. I would also keep them in my truck to pass out to properties next to my current customers that looked like they might be in the market for a lawn care company.

My fliers always featured me and my brothers who helped me posed with all of our equipment, our phone number and email, what kind of services we provided and also the fact that we were insured.

Few tips on passing out fliers I learned over the years doing it. People dont want to be bothered. Most homes have a storm door, I would open the storm door and place the flier between it and the frame and let the door close on it. Dont knock on their door and give it to them in person, not only will it slow you down but it will also irritate home owners who feel interrupted. If their main door is open, dont open the storm door but knock and hand it to the person and just say excuse me for bothering you I just wanted to give you this have a nice day. If the storm door is locked I would fold the fliers and would usually still be able to fit them into the slit between the door and frames. If you see the home owner outside as you are passing them out just say excuse me but I just wanted to give you this and have a nice day. People dont like to feel like someone is approaching them trying to sell them something. Just minimize your interaction, be polite and courteous, and let your flier do the selling.

Like I said fliers are best used for targeting specific areas you want to get into. For every hundred I passed out or so I would average one or two customers usually. In the suburban neighborhoods i was targeting it didnt take long to pass them out either as I went door to door.

hope this helps

greenred
06-16-2008, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't put your street address on your flyers. You don't know who will get your flyer.

Also I highly agree with mowerbrad

F.S Lawn Care
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Market yourself as a young, hardworking legal student trying to earn money to pursue an extended education. If your work is good, a lot of people would rather hire you than another company because it's kind of a personal thing and they think they're helping someone out. Thats what I used to do until people saw me with 3 dudes helping me and doing their lawn in 10 minutes or less. Once I began to look a little more professional I lost the "neighborhood lawn boy" status and I have to say it is harder to find business because I'm like the rest of them now but I'm in college too so I don't know.

lapseal
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Im 16 and i was wondering if it was a good idea to put something like "My name is David. I'm 16 and go to Novi High School. I work hard and use professional equipment. I live at ....... if you would like to look at my yard...." is it a good idea to put something like that on a flyer in my neighborhood?:

usflag: Make up a business card say around 1,000. Make sure it looks good. Put your home or cell number on it and on the back put this statement.

Mow, Trim and Blow. $25.00 (Or what ever yopu think is fair for the neightbor you want to mow in...

Go out and tape them on to door handles. My Son started that way and he has a very good business. He just completed hios freshmen year in college.

Good Luck.

Turf Gnome
06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
We use flyers. They really are the most cost effective way to get your name out there. Just make sure that the flyer is eye catching. I posted my flyer on my website in a PDF form if you'd like to see it. I did all the work myself. As a word of marketing advice, be sure to keep all your materials consistant, fonts, colors, etc. It shows professionalism. There is nothing more horrid when you are trying to read something that has poor layout or a million different fonts and font sizes or just doesn't flow. Then you go to the website or whatever and see a million more variations of the same thing. It's annoying IMO.

It's also a good idea to put some sort of eye catcher - "discount", "freebie" People like to hear that they are getting something for free or at a discount, even though it's marked up to be marked down and you still make a profit.

As far as saying you are 16 and in high school, etc. I would discourage the use of that only because I've dealt with a lot of clients who are older and they never want to hear from some "kid", even though I'm 34 years old. To them, they are older and think they know more, or better yet, "I've been cutting grass longer then you've been alive" They may have the mentality what does he/she know about taking care of my lawn and I'm 30,40,50,60 something, I know more then him/her. Try it w/o and see how it goes for you, if nothing comes in, then remove it in another postcard/flyer campaign.

Also, I get better results doing a multiple flyer campaign. Say you print 300 flyers, don't give it to 300 individual houses, but give it to 100 homes 3 times ever two weeks, etc. The first time they may overlook the flyer and trash it, the 2nd time they may leave it around and the wife/spouse may trash it, the thrid time they will call you.

Just my 2 cents.

Mimowerman
11-11-2008, 10:49 PM
flyers are great... but your business will come from word of mouth 95% of the time , especially at your age and starting out the business. I am just now starting to get more into marketing for my business , five years ago 250 copies was alot now I'm into the 5-8,000 range in .... gets expensive, time consuming, and annoying sometimes , expect less than 1% return.. I sent you a p.m. maby we can get together sometime this winter and shoot the breeze? the business is a great one and you can make alot of $ but you got to do it right -Chris 07 NHS grad

ClearCutLawn
12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
If you are worth a crap meeting them in person can sell you. I know a financial advisor that profits over 300k a year who walks door to door. It works if you can talk.