PDA

View Full Version : What's this old Gravely worth?

laxative
06-16-2008, 12:23 AM
It's a loaner from my dealer who's pretending to work on my mower. Failed to mention I had a backup and didn't really need it, but I'll use it for a couple days because 50" is better than my 36" backup. No idea what year it is. Trade-in from the local high school. Has 806 hours, dual hydro, Kohler Magnum 18hp. Most things work. Has a front tire that won't take air, doesn't back up much with the right side, smokes just a little (white) when it starts and shuts down. Haven't looked at the deck or tried to adjust/fix/diagnose any of the problems. Cut one small but very overgrown yard with it so far.

Dealer wants $2500 for it, which sounds insane to me. But I like it and he has the new version with a Kaw 17 in the back collecting dust. Maybe a couple years old but never used. He'll bullshit me on price. What's the old one worth? Might make a lowball offer on it. What's the new one worth? Pics of the old one. You probably know what a newer one looks like.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-16-2008, 01:25 AM
No idea what it's worth, but how's it do with those rear tires?

Groh's Mows
06-16-2008, 01:46 AM
Spend some time surfing ebay in the outdoor power euip area. This time of year trere are 500 or more mowers for sale and you will see alot of older 48" wb of various brands. It will give you a good price range idea. $2,500 should buy a better used mower than that one, especially with almost 900 hrs.

greenred
06-16-2008, 01:55 AM
No idea what it's worth, but how's it do with those rear tires?

yeah - bar tires on a wb is really interesting. Was it used in really hilly areas?

Richard Martin
06-16-2008, 04:10 AM
Since hydro problems can be expensive to fix I wouldn't give much over $750 for the old one.

If the new one comes with a factory warranty I would expect to pay upwards of $5000 for it. That's what they cost.

DCE
06-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Looks to be one of the early models of their dual hydro unit. I think, maybe one that was made in the old Gravely factory when they were in Clemmons, NC. Look on the serial number plate, it should say where it was made. If it was Clemmons, then this was from a long time ago...best guess mid 1990's??

MarcSmith
06-16-2008, 07:12 AM
I like the strap that holds the battery on....Yikes...

FWIW we just sold one of our gravely Pro 40 WB belt drive for 500 bucks....its it was in much better shape at least appearance wise....

ProStreetCamaro
06-16-2008, 07:21 AM
I want it!!!!!!!!!! Thats exactly like the old PRO-50 we used to have my dad bought new back in the early 90s. Same engine and everything except ours was a belt drive. It had over 3500 hours when we sold it and still going strong. There has NEVER been a better engine than the Kohler magnums period. That was my father favorite mower of all time over everything else we have ever owned.

It looks to be in good shape with very low hours. If there is zero problems with it I would say it very well may be worth $2500. I would offer 2K and see what he says.

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 07:28 AM
It's a loaner from my dealer who's pretending to work on my mower. Failed to mention I had a backup and didn't really need it, but I'll use it for a couple days because 50" is better than my 36" backup. No idea what year it is. Trade-in from the local high school. Has 806 hours, dual hydro, Kohler Magnum 18hp. Most things work. Has a front tire that won't take air, doesn't back up much with the right side, smokes just a little (white) when it starts and shuts down. Haven't looked at the deck or tried to adjust/fix/diagnose any of the problems. Cut one small but very overgrown yard with it so far.

Dealer wants $2500 for it, which sounds insane to me. But I like it and he has the new version with a Kaw 17 in the back collecting dust. Maybe a couple years old but never used. He'll bullshit me on price. What's the old one worth? Might make a lowball offer on it. What's the new one worth? Pics of the old one. You probably know what a newer one looks like.

Run as fast as you can from it.It will cost what a new one cost(if you can get parts) to fix. ive had 15 or so of them.it was made in the mid 90's.It was the best Clumping mower we ever had.

ProStreetCamaro
06-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Run as fast as you can from it.It will cost what a new one cost(if you can get parts) to fix. ive had 15 or so of them.it was made in the mid 90's.It was the best Clumping mower we ever had.

:laugh: It figures! We cut the same basic grass in the same conditions and ours only clumped if the grass was real tall and soaking wet.

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
:laugh: It figures! We cut the same basic grass in the same conditions and ours only clumped if the grass was real tall and soaking wet.

Thats the fab deck:cry: slow blade speed and all:waving:

laxative
06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Tires are great. Was used at local high school for however many years. Best place to go sledding.

Richard Martin
06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
It looks to be in good shape with very low hours. If there is zero problems with it I would say it very well may be worth $2500. I would offer 2K and see what he says.

It's already having hydro problems. The right side won't back up properly. If the wheel motor and or pump on the right side isn't replaced immediately it could trash the whole hydro system with it's impending failure.

John Gamba
06-16-2008, 03:01 PM
It's already having hydro problems. The right side won't back up properly. If the wheel motor and or pump on the right side isn't replaced immediately it could trash the whole hydro system with it's impending failure.

Its a 500 buck mower that will cost 1500 more to get it to cut.i hope the motor did not heat up to much because thats what made the pancake type engine die early.

laxative
06-17-2008, 12:12 AM
You guys are right. Put 4-5 hours on it today (walking sucks and I shoulda taken my sulky off mine). At a fast walk the blades couldn't keep up. Sure they're dull as dirt but my own walk behinds cut a lot better with duller blades going a lot faster. Fixed the "hydro problem" with a little adjustment to the handles. But then it started to backfire, amd the left front caster fell off. Just a broken or lost pin and a quick fix with a stray nail, but it was a deal killer.

The bar tires are great, and I might put some on my mowers, or at least a new mower if I buy one. Or maybe I'm too cheap. Could drop it a couple feet over hills and back it right back up, in places mine never woulda gone without a lot of muscling and swearing.

Thanks.

MarcSmith
06-17-2008, 06:14 AM
the only problem with the bar tires is that they will tear up turf if you are not very careful on your turns....

laxative
06-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Today the PTO clutch or something smoked and burnt on the first lawn. Bladed don't engage. Belts look fine. Dropped it back off at dealer. No thanks.

csy5000
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I have that same mower actually. It has the 60" deck and 20hp Kohler Magnum though. I have loved it, but am now getting out of the business. The dealer seems like their ripping you off, but mine is up for sale as well...for much less.