PDA

View Full Version : Best hardware store, Winston-Salem, NC

Tharrell
06-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Anyone looking for a one stop best hardware store in the Winston-Salem area?
Check out Webster Ace Hardware in Walkertown.
Ace was the only place I could locate steel wire spoked wheels to replace the crappy plastic ones on my Snapper lawn vac. I ordered them and they shipped to the store for free. Made in America, by the way.
While I was there, I spent $161 on tomato baskets, used fs85 shaft, grease, safety goggles, hard to find 7/8 washers.
They sell Stihl, Wolverine, Carhartt among others.
They have a full service Stihl shop and only service what they sell.
I could have spent hours in that place just looking around at all the things not seen at big box hardware stores.
Affordable tomato baskets couldn't be found until I pulled up to Webster Bros Ace.
Ace is truly the place. Tony

By the way, I am not affiliated with them at all just excited!!!

DCE
06-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Been there a few times!

The big box home centers are good, but it's these smaller, locally owned places that you can find stuff that you might not find in a big box chain store. Speaking of hardware stores, there's another kick-ass mom-and-pop hardware store in Jonesville, NC called 67 Hardware. It's not too far from the I-77 Jonesville exit and from Winston-Salem, just take 67 (Reynolda Rd) all the way. 67 is a full service Sentry hardware store, though, they don't sell power equipment. They have a full selection of hand tools, yard tools, and knives. They have the best selection of Case knives I've seen here in NC as well as other big name brands not normally found in hardware stores like Benchmade, Boker, and Kershaw. It's worth a trip to 67 Hardware if you love hand tools.

Tharrell
06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Someone else told me about that place, I'll have to check it out. It's just down the road from my night job there in Jonesville at PVH. Tony

DCE
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Someone else told me about that place, I'll have to check it out. It's just down the road from my night job there in Jonesville at PVH. Tony

You'd be sorry if you don't check it out! This is the kind of place where they have $hit everywhere...floor to ceiling and wall to wall. I've been going there for a while now and I STILL end up seeing something I didn't see previously :D But, those folks there are good people. If you like knives be sure to take some time to peruse their selection.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Good and refreshing to read about you guys taking advantage of local businesses like you are....
Instead of running to Mr Big Box (aka your money goes straight out of town), you are supporting local business and your $$'s are staying right in your local community.
Plus, sounds like these local hardware stores mean business!

hockeypro1411
06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
i have no choice but to use a lowe's. the ace hardware in my town is so rediculas. i swear they hire only the dumbest/slowest people. i ran in there and asked an employee where the garden hose repair stuff would be and he did what i wouldve done myself...walk around the entire store and find it eventually. as if that wasnt bad enough the teenage chick at the register was sitting there texting and as i walked up she was like oh hang on a sec. i was beyond myself. i left the crap on the counter and walked out. went right to lowes

Pastaboy62
06-16-2008, 06:03 PM
might need to make a trip down there....

DCE
06-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Good and refreshing to read about you guys taking advantage of local businesses like you are....
Instead of running to Mr Big Box (aka your money goes straight out of town), you are supporting local business and your $$'s are staying right in your local community.
Plus, sounds like these local hardware stores mean business!

Well...considering that Lowes Home Improvement's corporate HQ is right up the road from here in North Wilkesboro, NC, that money is staying local :D I shop at Lowes more than I do Home Depot primarily for that reason. But the mom-and-pop hardware store in Jonesville holds another attraction for me with the knives (hardcore knife guy right here!) Their selection of knives as well as hand tools makes it worth it for me to make the 25 minute drive from where I live. You just cannot find this stuff in any big box store.

Tharrell
06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I absolutely love a hardware store like the Ace in Walkertown. It's the kind of store my dad would have had, it's a merchants store.
The typical big box store managers are not merchants, they follow plans and guidlines from corporate with little consideration of the local community. Maybe you guys that don't have one in your area should consider a new business opportunity? Tony

wdn
06-17-2008, 09:33 PM
heck with the hardware....how about the avitar chick....oooffffff.......

greenred
06-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Our Ace hardware stores here are great. They started selling hot dogs and sodas for dirt cheat about 25 years ago and still do. You can get a hot dog and a soda for around 65 cents. My little brother is a assistant manager at the one near me so I go in and have lunch with him. Sometimes I even splurge and buy his too. lol .