PDA

View Full Version : purchasing new lawnmower

grasskeeper
01-03-2002, 08:12 PM
I am looking to buy a new 32 inch belt driven walk-behind mower, by either Scag or ex-mark. If anyone has any information on either of these mowers that would help me choose the better one, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

keifer
01-03-2002, 09:58 PM
This maybe far off but exmark is owned by toro and i have a toro 32 proline with a 12.5 kohlar it is well built and other than the clutch i have had no probs. as far as price it is quite high.

ps. snapper makes a nice 26 inch.

Administrator
01-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Welcome to LawnSite.com

Make sure whatever choice you make that you dealer support is great.

AL Inc
01-03-2002, 10:47 PM
Grasskeeper- I don't think you can go wrong with the Scag. I run a 36" with the 12.5 Kawi and a 48" with 14 Kawi. Both machines cut well and haven't had any major problems.

I'm new to Lawnsite, but have been enjoying surfing the last week or so. Definitely have A LOT more time on my hands with eaf clean-up done and no snow! Mike

65hoss
01-04-2002, 02:30 AM
First off, the info on that very subject is posted in book length on many threads. Do a search and you will get hours of reading on this scag vs. exmark debate.

As stated, dealer support is key. I can tell you the exmarks are awesome. Cut quality is top notch, reliability is grade A, and factory support is second to none!!!!!

scagman
01-04-2002, 06:23 AM
I like the scag 32" because I have one that is 1991 model still cuts and runs good. Scag only offers a gear drive 32" and as far as a 36" or 32" there have been numerous times where I barely squeeze through with the 32". This spring I will be retiring the scag and buying the new 32" Exmark viking hydro with ecs controls and a 15hp kohler. I have heard so many good things about exmark that I know I cant go wrong.

Atlantic Lawn
01-04-2002, 08:35 AM
Listen to what these guys are sayin' use the search feature to learn even more, and find a dealer who gives you the best support and not just the best price.

Lawn Dog2001
01-04-2002, 09:00 AM
I dont know enough about Scag to comment. I love my Metros though. After using Emarks this year I cant ever see switching. I have never used the 32" Metro. I have checked them out closely at the dealer, and they are every bit as well built as my 48"s. Also the guys at the Exmark Forum here at Lawn Site have always been great whenever I had a question.

grasskeeper
01-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies. This is my first time using the lawnsite forum and you have all be very helpful. I will definately try using the search function and see what it comes up with.

WREBELMACHINE
01-04-2002, 06:11 PM
I couldn't tell you between scag or exmark because they I just don't see hardly anyone useing them. Most everyone down here uses encore or bobcat so I would suggest that you find the brand in your area with the best service!

Eng Mwr Guy
01-04-2002, 07:10 PM
There is also brand G.

Faster, stouter, and better cut than any mentioned. Don't believe me?....demo one and prove me wrong.

Barry
Gravely Guy

joed
01-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Grasskeeper,

You can't go wrong with either Scag or Exmark. Both machines are solid with Exmark being a slightly better choice. You may also want to check out two other models:
Toro 32" fixed deck gear drive: Same as Exmark only with the T-Bar steering. ECS controls are not available on the 32" gear drive Exmark.
Husqvarna: They make a 32" model with a 12.5 Kawasaki or 13 hp Kohler engine. It retails here for $3 400 Canadain (approx $2100 U.S.) It has the same tranny has the Exmark too.

Good Luck

65hoss
01-05-2002, 01:02 AM
Sorry Barry, I forgot about the Gravely's. If I wasn't using exmarks, I would probably be strongly considering the Gravely. They have a very long track record and with recent changes to bring their w/b's up to date, they are worth considering.

Set up some demos now for the spring. If the dealer will not demo for you, forget that dealer. They will only be trouble in the future.

GrassChopper
01-05-2002, 07:12 AM
Why a belt drive? You probably will have more success with a hydro.

grasskeeper
01-05-2002, 04:23 PM
thanks again. I guess that I will have to go to the dealer and demo some of these brands. I appreciate all the help.

Flex-Deck
01-05-2002, 08:47 PM
I think EngMowerGuy hit it on the head - demo all the units you can and make your decision. Opinions on this forum are often tainted by personal experience with only one brand - if it does well it is the greatest in the world, and if it does not, it is dog dudu. - Just do the sponsors of this site a favor and visit the sponsor forums. - We do pay for them. Thanks, Brad