PDA

View Full Version : Scag Turf Tiger vs Bad Boy AOS vs Hustler Z XR-7

cmalaker1
06-16-2008, 05:00 PM
OK,

I am about to embarq on an expensive purchase and I have narrowed my search to these three. Here is my situation:

10 acres of lawn - fescue in Missouri - rolling hills w/ lots of bumps right now (I am looking to roll to flatten things out)

I like the idea of mulching, but from what I read, it is better to blow????

Ideas? Opinions?? pros and cons??? scalping issues???? :dizzy:

Thanks in advance!!!

tacoma200
06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I had the Super Z Hustler very comfortable, good ride, especially with the flex forks. I now have a Turf Tiger because it does better on the grass/weeds in this area. I would get all the power I could with the Super Z, those big pumps and motors really suck the power. You will just have to demo them on your type grass. I can tell you that the Scag is built very well and the Velocity deck will cut in almost any conditions and it hold hills very well. I haven't demo'ed a Bad Boy so can't comment. In certain type grasses the Super Z does well and is the most comfortable I've been on. The Scag Velocity deck is an amazing design, not the smoothest, I give that to Exmark but it can handle much more grass. You really need to demo them on your home turf. Do some searches and you will find fans of all the above.

capnsac
06-16-2008, 06:05 PM
last but not least, cub cadet tank. bing bang bong!

cmalaker1
06-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Tacoma - When you say not the best ride, are you saying the Scag is tough on the bod when there is a lot to do???

Mike Blevins
06-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I also have the Turf Tiger and can say they are an awsome machine. Have tried the Badboy and they had good ride but weren't the hill machine the Turf tiger is. Do yourself a favor and get a Turf Tiger. Best all around mower out there. Demoed Deere, Exmark, Badboy,and Hustler this past fall and went hands down with the Turf Tiger. In this commercial mower business you get what you pay for. Scag "Simply the Best"

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-16-2008, 06:59 PM
We run scags every day in thick turf @ high speeds, i love mine..

bigclawn
06-16-2008, 09:58 PM
we bleed cats eye gold.....

Turf Dawg
06-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I just bought a super z 66/31 about 3 weeks ago. I demoed the scag, kubota, jd and the hustler. I went with the super z because of the ride and the handling. I have to say that the scag and the kubota had a little better cut but not nearrrrr as comfortable and as the hustler and I liked the handling on the hustler better. Do yourself a favor and try to demo the ones you are thinking of buying, because the bottom line is your the one who will be running this mower. All you have listed are good units.

1parttimer
06-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Our TT now has 250 hrs and im still in love its not the best ride but in the mix of grass we cut its the way to go. Dont have any hustler dealers cost .:usflag:

RTR Landscaping
06-16-2008, 11:35 PM
We run all Scags and absolutley wouldn't have anything else. I have 2 Turf Tigers and they will cut in any condition (wet or high grass) better than any mower I've ever seen. I have no experience with Hustler or Bad Boy. You also need to look at the dealers for each brand. Make certain they will take care of you after the sale, but buy a Scag!!

Happy Frog
06-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Demo them all before buying.
Check out the Bad Boy Lightning with the Kawasaki 31 HP or the one I have. Iam sure you will be impressed. :waving:

tb8100
06-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Definitely demo all three. You'll find the Hustler and Bad Boy are more comfortable and faster. All three are very smooth operating. Are you looking at gas or diesel? If gas, are you looking at EFI/DFI or carbureted? Bad Boy doesn't have any EFI gas options, but Hustler has the 28hp Kohler and Scag has the 29hp Kawasaki LC DFI, which is a beast

Also, are you looking at 60"/61" or 72"? If you're looking at Scag, you can only get the 72" Velocity Plus with the 28hp CAT (great engine). You can get the 61" V+ with any of the engines however.

The only Hustler Super Zs I would look at would be the 28hp Kohler EFI or the 31hp big block Kawasaki. The others, from what I've seen on here, are not enough power for it. The Hustler Z diesel is an option too. I don't know how the Hustler Z stacks up against the Super Z. Hope this helps-

Turf Gnome
06-17-2008, 06:01 AM
I just picked up a 35 Hp Cat powered Bad Boy AOSD w/ 60" deck. This thing is amazing. After trying out all the other big boys out there, The diesel torque, just can't be beat. The speed is way fast (if you dare to cut at 15 mph) and it will climb a hill like no other mower I've seen. I believe the torque on the 35hp cat is 75 ft. lbs. I cannot be happier with my new AOSD bad boy. My 2nd choice would be a Scag Turf Tiger. But overall the comfort is perfect, the seat adjusts about 15 different ways and the only drawback would be that the steering controls are not adjustable as they are on a Scag.

tacoma200
06-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Tacoma - When you say not the best ride, are you saying the Scag is tough on the bod when there is a lot to do???

The other two have a suspension option for the front forks and ride better. I wouldn't trade the tiger for either but that's just my personal preference. The Scag rides OK, better than Exmark but not as good as the Hustler with the flex forks (I had one with the flex forks and it rode good just wouldn't cut our turf).

capnsac
06-17-2008, 09:19 AM
We run all Scags and absolutley wouldn't have anything else. I have 2 Turf Tigers and they will cut in any condition (wet or high grass) better than any mower I've ever seen. I have no experience with Hustler or Bad Boy. You also need to look at the dealers for each brand. Make certain they will take care of you after the sale, but buy a Scag!!

Just curious how the scag holds up in wet weather? Does the deck clump at all?

Mike Blevins
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Just curious how the scag holds up in wet weather? Does the deck clump at all?

Heres one for you Tacoma! I have the 29 dfi 61" Tiger velocity and it will cut wet thick grass better than any mower out there! Tacoma is very experienced with cutting thick wet grass with his Tiger. (even has pics I believe) I have yet to clog or clump with my velocity plus deck. ""simply the best" is Scags motto and I am a believer! These mowers are unstoppable.:usflag:

tb8100
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
The other two have a suspension option for the front forks and ride better. I wouldn't trade the tiger for either but that's just my personal preference. The Scag rides OK, better than Exmark but not as good as the Hustler with the flex forks (I had one with the flex forks and it rode good just wouldn't cut our turf).

Just curious, how in the world is there a difference in ride in the eXmark and Scag? They have the same seats, wheels, and tires (and no suspension other than what's in the seat!) Were you running the same tire pressure?

mag360
06-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Just curious, how in the world is there a difference in ride in the eXmark and Scag? They have the same seats, wheels, and tires (and no suspension other than what's in the seat!) Were you running the same tire pressure?

Longer wheelbase + more weight should contribute some. Seat placement (centered or closer to the drive wheels) comes into play as well.

tacoma200
06-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Longer wheelbase + more weight should contribute some. Seat placement (centered or closer to the drive wheels) comes into play as well.

He hit it on the head. Longer, heavier, seat placement toward the back. The Lazer is rough and the Scag can be compared to one with suspension forks. Same air pressure 8-10 psi rear. Scag is not one to jump on the band wagon too quickly. I would say one day they may come out with a front suspension but they will study it a long time.

The main job of a ZTR is cutting the grass. Wet or dry, pure turf or weeds, Northern or Southern, this is where Scag is strongest as well as being built very well. Ride comes in third behind cut and reliability. Scag doesn't loose as many pumps/motors as Hustler and cuts much better here. I can't speak of how it cuts other places.

No comment on Bad Boy, never been on one.

hawgcaller
06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Wow, guys now this is really what those in the market for a new ZTR really wants to read..Great info from several users with experience and practicality.

I have been contemplating a new mower for some time now to replace an aging JD, and this thread is helping me decide.

Thank for helping a new guy (To this site) weed thru all the bravado and hype. Now to interview some new dealers, not happy with my JD dealer after 9 years.
Time to move on .

Van

Ridin' Around
06-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Definitely demo all three. You'll find the Hustler and Bad Boy are more comfortable and faster. All three are very smooth operating. Are you looking at gas or diesel? If gas, are you looking at EFI/DFI or carbureted? Bad Boy doesn't have any EFI gas options, but Hustler has the 28hp Kohler and Scag has the 29hp Kawasaki LC DFI, which is a beast

Also, are you looking at 60"/61" or 72"? If you're looking at Scag, you can only get the 72" Velocity Plus with the 28hp CAT (great engine). You can get the 61" V+ with any of the engines however.

The only Hustler Super Zs I would look at would be the 28hp Kohler EFI or the 31hp big block Kawasaki. The others, from what I've seen on here, are not enough power for it. The Hustler Z diesel is an option too. I don't know how the Hustler Z stacks up against the Super Z. Hope this helps-

The Scag is also available with a 31hp EFI Kohler this year. Any time you go with Fuel Injection or Diesel you are going to gain about 40% in fuel economy versus a carb maybe more if you are looking at one on the Big Block machines. We demoed a 72" tiger with a 35hp bigblock briggs. That motor had Awesome power but was very, very thirsty. We put 15 gallons of fuel through it in what my 25hp kohler 72" Toro usually mows on about 8.5 gallons. I will say it had power to spare and we were mowing heavy tall grass. I also felt the carb cut out a few times on our hillside where all of the FI machines never had that problem.
Keep in mind that both Scag FI units are also liquid cooled, That will extend the life of the engine compared to an air cooled, diesel will last longer yet. All of these upgrades will cost you to get though. Good luck. My Vote is the Tiger w/ kohler FI BTW! The Scag can be had as a Diesel (Kubota) unit with a 61" deck, shorter wheel base than the 72".

create_username
06-17-2008, 11:46 PM
The Scag is also available with a 31hp EFI Kohler this year. Any time you go with Fuel Injection or Diesel you are going to gain about 40% in fuel economy versus a carb maybe more if you are looking at one on the Big Block machines. We demoed a 72" tiger with a 35hp bigblock briggs. That motor had Awesome power but was very, very thirsty. We put 15 gallons of fuel through it in what my 25hp kohler 72" Toro usually mows on about 8.5 gallons. I will say it had power to spare and we were mowing heavy tall grass. I also felt the carb cut out a few times on our hillside where all of the FI machines never had that problem.
Keep in mind that both Scag FI units are also liquid cooled, That will extend the life of the engine compared to an air cooled, diesel will last longer yet. All of these upgrades will cost you to get though. Good luck. My Vote is the Tiger w/ kohler FI BTW! The Scag can be had as a Diesel (Kubota) unit with a 61" deck, shorter wheel base than the 72".

Before buying my new TT I demoed everything Scag could throw at me and narrowed it down to the 29 Kawi DFI and the 31 Kohler EFI. After talking with several on this site ( for which Tacoma was a huge help) and demoing both machines I went with the 31 Kohler EFI. It was a big deal for me because I've always been a big Kawi guy. After reading and being told of the 40% plus fuel milage gain going FI I was excited. Fuel milage is like fishing stories with the truth being stretched at times but this is the truth. Now with 40hrs plus on my machine it's burning .8 - .9 gph and has an awesome torque curve. Most here where I live run the 27 Kohler AC because they won't put out the extra cash but with gas 4 bucks a gall it don't take long for .8 - .9 as apposed to 2.0-2.2 to pay the difference. The times of the diesel guys carrying the fuel millage mantle are over. Demo Demo Demo and look at which machine will save you in the long run not just for the "here and now".
Good luck.

JShe8918
06-18-2008, 12:44 AM
I have a turf tiger and love it. Wish it had a little more power when bagging. Definitely go with either the TT 29 DFI or the Bad boy CAT 35. Both have there pros and cons. Scag is more experienced and we know they will be in business for many years to come. So no worrying of " what if they go out of business" like you have with bad boy. Bad boy has been doing this for 15 or so years. They are cheaper, built like a tank, but do not hold hills nearly as good as a Scag. Going straight up hills BB are better but across they are far worse than Scag. Best of luck with your desicion.

create_username
06-18-2008, 01:50 AM
I have a turf tiger and love it. Wish it had a little more power when bagging. Definitely go with either the TT 29 DFI or the Bad boy CAT 35. Both have there pros and cons. Scag is more experienced and we know they will be in business for many years to come. So no worrying of " what if they go out of business" like you have with bad boy. Bad boy has been doing this for 15 or so years. They are cheaper, built like a tank, but do not hold hills nearly as good as a Scag. Going straight up hills BB are better but across they are far worse than Scag. Best of luck with your desicion.

How are BB's "better" "going straight up hills"?

capnsac
06-18-2008, 08:42 AM
How are BB's "better" "going straight up hills"?

I'm taking a wild shot in the dark but it probably has something to do with the power. Possibly the wheel motor has something to do with that as well. As far as stability along a hill though, then the BB probably has a tendency to slip, whereas the scag won't because of it's super wide wheelbase.

Turf Gnome
06-18-2008, 08:57 AM
I've never had any issues going up or down or even laterally on a hill. My home is on a hill and the street level by the curb is 25' down form the hill about 35' away. So the rate of rise is 25' over 35' length. I bet i could tow my trailer on that with my ASOD.

tb8100
06-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm taking a wild shot in the dark but it probably has something to do with the power. Possibly the wheel motor has something to do with that as well. As far as stability along a hill though, then the BB probably has a tendency to slip, whereas the scag won't because of it's super wide wheelbase.

The Bad Boy has just as wide a wheelbase... however, the wheelbase is shorter in length.

JShe8918
06-18-2008, 09:39 AM
scags center of gravity is lower just about all of the weight is centered on drive wheels and going up any little slope my front end pops up off of the ground and when i demo'd the bad boy with the 28 cat going up steep hills it stuck but not across. It slipped across. The bad boy seems to just be built with more weight up front i am guessing

Happy Frog
06-18-2008, 11:39 AM
The Bad Boy has just as wide a wheelbase... however, the wheelbase is shorter in length.

Which is best for going sideways on hills...
The longer the wheel base the harder it is to keep the caster wheels in line with the rear wheels.
Good factors are: short wheelbase, low and aft center of gravity (C.G.), wide and good condition of the rear tires.
The Bad Boys have all of them but the aft C.G.
However, the more centered location of their C.G. will prevent these mowers from rolling on their back when going on a steep up hill (that is good, very good).

tacoma200
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I haven't ridden the bad boy but the Scag I have will go strait up a hill that you can't hardly stand on. These pics are all I can find right now but I cut steeper area's and never slip a wheel unless it's wet. The front end never offers to come up. This is a lake home elevation about 1,000 ft and the lake in the back of the property is at 550 feet right now. I have hundreds of pics just can't find anymore with steeper slopes on short notice. I mean if you need one to cut much steeper you should probably use a WB.

tacoma200
06-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Another side ways. I can also go up and down on this hill if I need to and it gets steeper ahead of me where I turn. I have slipped and fell more than once trimming around the rocks and have no doubt I could mow steeper area's but I'm not going to.
I don't see how you can compain about the Turf Tigers hill holding ability or at least I'm happy.

Mike Blevins
06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I have taken a Badboy on a couple of hills and there isn't any comparison with the Tiger period. Badboy guys say what you want but I have rode the Badboy up hills and across and it just ain't happening. The only thing that I demoed this past year that was near the Tiger on hills was the 757 Deere and its not that close. The Exmark doesn't even compare. I didn't get to take the Hustler on a hill as there were none around. I take my Scag on hills that I probably shouldn't (so steep the Hydro fluid runs out of the top of the resorvoir) and there is no way I would take these other mowers where I take my Tiger.

newtostone
06-18-2008, 05:14 PM
I am just going to put my .02 cents in. I didnt have a TT but i had a wildcat, and i can honestly say i never really knew why anyone would want a walkbehind, i could hold hills everywhere. Once i got my exmark lazer, I had to get a walk behind. I dont even think any mower can even compare. Not saying others arent as good but scag makes a machine that feels stable on the worst of hills. Tocoma those pictures dont look to bad:laugh: Those alone should show anyone how well these machines hold hills.

Mike Blevins
06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
I am just going to put my .02 cents in. I didnt have a TT but i had a wildcat, and i can honestly say i never really knew why anyone would want a walkbehind, i could hold hills everywhere. Once i got my exmark lazer, I had to get a walk behind. I dont even think any mower can even compare. Not saying others arent as good but scag makes a machine that feels stable on the worst of hills. Tocoma those pictures dont look to bad:laugh: Those alone should show anyone how well these machines hold hills.

I also had a Wildcat and as good as they are on hills go try the Tiger. They are that much better. Your right Scag does make a great machine for hills.

Mickhippy
06-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I heard the Scags are light in the front and tend to wheelie up hills!

I will ask this again some time down the track but while were all here...
Would you pay $4000 to $6000 or so more for a Scag TT than a Super Z? Are they worth the extra dollars? SZ'z cut fine here so thats not an issue!
I payed Au$18000 for my SZ. TT's were $24000 at the time. And yes, thats a hell of a lot of money either way!
$6000 is a hell of a lot of money

Turf Gnome
06-18-2008, 08:59 PM
I think a lot of these posts are the fact that guys are spending 12k plus on a mower and don't want to be let down knowing that there is something better out there.

MJB
06-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Another side ways. I can also go up and down on this hill if I need to and it gets steeper ahead of me where I turn. I have slipped and fell more than once trimming around the rocks and have no doubt I could mow steeper area's but I'm not going to.
I don't see how you can compain about the Turf Tigers hill holding ability or at least I'm happy.

Hey Tacoma, The picture tells it all. You got some beautiful country out there, compared to the dessert I live in. How does the Scag do going down hill ? My Hustler will hold a hill going straight down it, way better than the Exmark, or Gravely I just demoed. I hate getting to the bottom the exciting way , all puckered up if you know what I mean.:laugh:

Is it as good or better than your Exmark?

Also , I want to point out that to everyone, that Tacoma backs up his statements with pictures, so if we are going to compare all these machines lets see more pictures, especially from the Bad Boy guys. I want a Bad Boy real bad, but haven't seen enough pictures to compare with the Scag. I think both are exceptional mowers, Bad Boy just has the price more enticing than Scag.

tacoma200
06-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I think a lot of these posts are the fact that guys are spending 12k plus on a mower and don't want to be let down knowing that there is something better out there.

I gave a bit over $8,000 for my Turf Tiger with the 31 hp Briggs and 61" Velocity deck so that isn't the case with me. It was an 05 model they needed to move in 06. My front end does not come up going up a steep hill. I guess you could throw the levers forward really fast and get the wheel up a bit but the back end would catch it since it hangs over. It would be very difficult to raise the front wheels too far because the way the back end is so low and extends much further than most ZTR's it would drag before the front end could come up. I would spend $12,000 on a new one though, it would be worth every penny.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM

You are trolling this thread.....:hammerhead:

tacoma200
06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey Tacoma, The picture tells it all. You got some beautiful country out there, compared to the dessert I live in. How does the Scag do going down hill ? My Hustler will hold a hill going straight down it, way better than the Exmark, or Gravely I just demoed. I hate getting to the bottom the exciting way , all puckered up if you know what I mean.:laugh:

Is it as good or better than your Exmark?

Also , I want to point out that to everyone, that Tacoma backs up his statements with pictures, so if we are going to compare all these machines lets see more pictures, especially from the Bad Boy guys. I want a Bad Boy real bad, but haven't seen enough pictures to compare with the Scag. I think both are exceptional mowers, Bad Boy just has the price more enticing than Scag.

The Scag will slide a tire a bit going over a steep hill but it's miles ahead of the Exmark. I always turn up hill. The Exmark isn't that good at all on slopes, not terrible just not exceptional. The Hustler was pretty good on slopes, not sure how it would compare with the Scag. I'm guessing the Scag is just a bit better. My Super Z had no roll bar so I never tried anything super steep. I'm sure there are some mowers that are better than the Scag on slopes but it's very good. I would give the Scag a 9 on slopes and the Lazer a 5. Hustler 8????

Turf Gnome
06-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Trolling I doubt, but maybe it's slightly obvious? Either or, I mean they are both great machines, and the fact that the matter is, each will have a downfall in some area. Is there such thing as a perfect mower?

tacoma200
06-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I heard the Scags are light in the front and tend to wheelie up hills!

I will ask this again some time down the track but while were all here...
Would you pay $4000 to $6000 or so more for a Scag TT than a Super Z? Are they worth the extra dollars? SZ'z cut fine here so thats not an issue!
I payed Au$18000 for my SZ. TT's were $24000 at the time. And yes, thats a hell of a lot of money either way!
$6000 is a hell of a lot of money

I liked my Super Z. It was a cut issue here. You need a very high lift deck in this area and the XR7 is more of an open lower lift type design great for rigid grass or thicker stands of pure turf grass that will stand up to be cut. If the Super Z cuts well for you then you have a great machine for the money.

I'm not sure what a Super Z with the 31 Kaw would run here but that would be the only model I would look at. I'm going to guess in the $9,000+ range while a Scag would be closer to $12,000 with the same size engine. They priced me a 29 dfi Scag for $10,600 last year but I'm sure they would be higher now. I gave about $8,000 for my Super Z 27 hp plus $200 for flex forks. Always good to hear from you Mick:)

Happy Frog
06-18-2008, 10:16 PM
It is very possible that the TT might stick better on hills than a Bad Boy. I don't have an account with a hill steep enough to make mine slide so I can't really compare... :waving:

tacoma200
06-18-2008, 10:17 PM
It is very possible that the TT might stick better on hills than a Bad Boy. I don't have an account with a hill steep enough to make mine slide so I can't really compare... :waving:

I've never been on a Bad Boy so that's why I just can't comment. I don't know who's the best, I just know the Scag is good.

Mike Blevins
06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I've never been on a Bad Boy so that's why I just can't comment. I don't know who's the best, I just know the Scag is good.

Scag is better period.

Turf Gnome
06-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Scag is better period.

Trolling?

Craftsman 20" PM is better period. ;)

tb8100
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Scag is better period.

Do you work for Scag or are you a dealer? :waving:

MJB
06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I gave a bit over $8,000 for my Turf Tiger with the 31 hp Briggs and 61" Velocity deck so that isn't the case with me. It was an 05 model they needed to move in 06. My front end does not come up going up a steep hill. I guess you could throw the levers forward really fast and get the wheel up a bit but the back end would catch it since it hangs over. It would be very difficult to raise the front wheels too far because the way the back end is so low and extends much further than most ZTR's it would drag before the front end could come up. I would spend $12,000 on a new one though, it would be worth every penny.

Wow , That was a good deal. What time of the yr did you buy it? I was quoted $11399. for the TT 27 kohler 61" velocity deck

tacoma200
06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow , That was a good deal. What time of the yr did you buy it? I was quoted $11399. for the TT 27 kohler 61" velocity deck

I bought it last Spring. It was an 05 tractor and they put an 06 Velocity plus deck on it to try to move it. The 31 Briggs was discontinued and the 35 Briggs was taking it's place. They were just trying to move last years (05)model and I was in the right place at the right time. I was lucky but they are more competitive on Scags here than a lot of places. I'm sure you could get a 29 dfi or 35 Briggs for that in Lexington, KY. They're a Scag Gold dealer and buy large volumes. You will find there are large price discrepancies on models and brands around the country.

That was 07 when I bought it so they needed to move an 05 tractor. I have no idea why it sit for almost 2 years but the dealer was really wanting to move it.

Mickhippy
06-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Always good to hear from you Mick:)

Thanks mate! Good your still floating around also!

Im a while from getting a new machine but I like to start researching early! :hammerhead: lol

I wish Scags weren't so much more expensive. $4-5-$6000 more is a heap of grass to cut! Dunno if its worth it!

retrodog
06-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks mate! Good your still floating around also!

Im a while from getting a new machine but I like to start researching early! :hammerhead: lol

I wish Scags weren't so much more expensive. $4-5-$6000 more is a heap of grass to cut! Dunno if its worth it!

Lol, right now you can get a Bad Boy 31hp Kawasaki 60" deck for $8495! You ride on the suspension paired with the michigan seat for that price cruising at 14mph with a solid 1/4 inch thick deck you guys will thank me for telling you about this.....:) especially instead of getting a big briggs! If you can stand not getting the suspension and the michigan seat, you can get the Pup model with a 60" deck 31hp kawasaki for $7395 just mow on one, thats all I ask!:laugh:

MJB
06-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Lol, right now you can get a Bad Boy 31hp Kawasaki 60" deck for $8495! You ride on the suspension paired with the michigan seat for that price cruising at 14mph with a solid 1/4 inch thick deck you guys will thank me for telling you about this.....:) especially instead of getting a big briggs! If you can stand not getting the suspension and the michigan seat, you can get the Pup model with a 60" deck 31hp kawasaki for $7395 just mow on one, thats all I ask!:laugh:

Is that for the Lightning $8495 ? I want the L/C Kawi and foot assist and mulch kit. What would that run? How much is shipping to 98837 ? Wa st.

retrodog
06-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Is that for the Lightning $8495 ? I want the L/C Kawi and foot assist and mulch kit. What would that run? How much is shipping to 98837 ? Wa st.

26hp Lc Kawasaki 60" is $7995, mulch kit is $200, and the foot assist is $179 if ordered with the mower. Pm me for shipping info, and you might want to get one this week if you are going to this year, BB is having an increase July 1!

Razorblades
06-19-2008, 09:55 AM

What's wrong with the "Big Briggs" engines, I've heard and read nearly all good reviews about those engines? Razorblades.

retrodog
06-19-2008, 10:14 AM
What's wrong with the "Big Briggs" engines, I've heard and read nearly all good reviews about those engines? Razorblades.

Nothing, I just know I can't give away the Briggs around here, everyone wants the Kawasaki or the kohler, they just usually can't afford the big kawa's on these streamline brands because they are so high. I personnally sold a guy a ZT BB with a 26hp Briggs ELS. He came in to buy a $1000 mower, and I talked the ZT up big time. I delivered it to his house, he made one pass on his yard, and the motor locked up. Full of oil, it just locked up prematurely. I got my feelings hurt, made me look really bad. I gave him a new mower, and they next dayed me a new engine, but the whole point of the thing upset me. They offer the 27hp Kohler for the same price, so I started ordering them. The past 2 weeks I have almost sold 1 a day on the Kohler, before the ZT wasn't really a good seller for me. 50" 27hp $4695, and 60" $4995, they are buzzing all over the ZT now! Bad Boy has theirs for $7395 31hp big block kawa with a 60" deck. They also use the 32hp vanguard for $8295, and the 35hp Vanguard AOS for $8995 with a 60", or $9495 for the 72"(which are great motors), I just can't get people to bite off on them. I think Bad Boy is thinking the same way, cause I saw an AOS at the factory the other day with a 37hp Kawasaki on it they were testing out. If they offer the 37hp kawa on the big machine for the same $8995 price point as the Vanguard, I think I will sell alot more of the big gassers. Most everyone gets the $7495 26hp LC Kawasaki Lightning or they just step up to the $11295 Cat diesel, I don't have any really consider the Vanguard gassers at all. I think the vanguards are awesome, but you have to put on the machines what the consumers feel comfortable about.

Mike Blevins
06-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Do you work for Scag or are you a dealer? :waving:

No I don't work for Scag nor am I a Scag dealer. I can recommend the BEST Scag dealer in the country if need one.:usflag::waving:

Turf Gnome
06-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok, guys, I just demoed the Scag 61 Velocity with the 29 EFI Kaw TT.
It's a great mower. However, I've never bogged down my Cat 35 ASOD BB.
The Scag is great, low center of gravity, etc. The BB is definately more powerful, hands down. The BB is also a nicer ride with the suspension forks & rear bushings. The seats are the exact same. It's a bumpy ride on the Scag compared to the BB. The cut, is almost exact. Honestly, the power lacked. I stalled it on 5" tall fescue with clumps from a homeowners JD Z445 he made last cut 2-1/2 weeks ago. I never bogged down the BB, and the ride is better. As for hills, comparing it to the BB on the same terrain, the hills are almost identical. The Scag had a tendency to slide a bit, but that may be to the left power drive not in sync with the same position of the right stick. I had to keep the right back a bit in order to keep it straight. So, my decision would be BB as I mentioned before. No I'm not a BB Dealer, and do want the best bang for my buck, and I believe I found it with the BB ASOD & 60" deck.

tb8100
06-19-2008, 07:45 PM
No I don't work for Scag nor am I a Scag dealer. I can recommend the BEST Scag dealer in the country if need one.:usflag::waving:

Hopefully you would recommend me! :) just playing man. All I know is that you're apparently VERY pleased with your Scag stuff. I think it's a combination of a great product and great dealer support.

Mike Blevins
06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Hopefully you would recommend me! :) just playing man. All I know is that you're apparently VERY pleased with your Scag stuff. I think it's a combination of a great product and great dealer support.

tb100 I am very pleased with my all my Scags that I have owned from my 36" walk to the 52 tiger,52 Wildcat, and now my 29 dfi Turf Tiger. I know alot of people in the lawncare industry from part timers to companies with 150 accounts. One thing is certain around here and that is Scag is definatley becoming the norm. I see more and more Scags everyday and when I get a chance to talk to these people I have never found one yet that didn't like them. I guess I am just a loyal Scag fan. Dealer support is a BIG deal and my dealer's service is second to none. You got to have the complete package from a to z in this business. If someone gets upset because I talk about Scags on here all the time oh well. I feel Scags are the better mower. I can tell you that I don't like Badboy mowers and you can tell me that I am crazy. I demoed one and it wasn't for me. Am I crazy because I paid a little more for a mower I think is better than Badboy? I also think Scag is better than Deere,Hustler,Exmark, if I didn't I would have one of them on my trailer. I don't buy equipment becuase its "Cheaper" or looks better. I buy equipment because when I get up in the morning and go mow I know that instead of going to my great dealer to get some work done I going to make money. Bottom line is we are all in this business to make money period. I feel that I have the best equipment that I can buy on my trailer to do that with. Just like someone else with a Deere or Exmark does. Its Ford or Chevy I guess, its all about opinions and yes I do have one a so does everyone else.:usflag::waving:

Mike Blevins
06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Ok, guys, I just demoed the Scag 61 Velocity with the 29 EFI Kaw TT.
It's a great mower. However, I've never bogged down my Cat 35 ASOD BB.
The Scag is great, low center of gravity, etc. The BB is definately more powerful, hands down. The BB is also a nicer ride with the suspension forks & rear bushings. The seats are the exact same. It's a bumpy ride on the Scag compared to the BB. The cut, is almost exact. Honestly, the power lacked. I stalled it on 5" tall fescue with clumps from a homeowners JD Z445 he made last cut 2-1/2 weeks ago. I never bogged down the BB, and the ride is better. As for hills, comparing it to the BB on the same terrain, the hills are almost identical. The Scag had a tendency to slide a bit, but that may be to the left power drive not in sync with the same position of the right stick. I had to keep the right back a bit in order to keep it straight. So, my decision would be BB as I mentioned before. No I'm not a BB Dealer, and do want the best bang for my buck, and I believe I found it with the BB ASOD & 60" deck.

I would think that a 35 Cat would be more powerful than the 29 dfi. I own the 29 dfi and I'm calling b.s. on the stalling in 5" fescue:laugh:. I also have demoed the badboy and it doesn't cut near as good as the Velocity. I also took the Badboy on hills and again it doesn't perform anywhere near the Scag on hills but this wasn't a Diesel model I demoed. Go demo the new Cat diesel Scag and let us know what you think.:laugh: Talk about someone "TROLLING" :hammerhead:

retrodog
06-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I would think that a 35 Cat would be more powerful than the 29 dfi. I own the 29 dfi and I'm calling b.s. on the stalling in 5" fescue:laugh:. I also have demoed the badboy and it doesn't cut near as good as the Velocity. I also took the Badboy on hills and again it doesn't perform anywhere near the Scag on hills but this wasn't a Diesel model I demoed. Go demo the new Cat diesel Scag and let us know what you think.:laugh: Talk about someone "TROLLING" :hammerhead:

I'll chime in on this one, I just got through mowing on the 28hp Cat TT today at a cemetery. The unit is around $15000. I liked it don't get me wrong, its a nice machine. Cut just like the 35hp BB I had out there. The 35 had a ton more power than the Scag, and taking it through the pasture there was no contest. The BB was by far a smoother running stronger power machine with the 35hp 4 cylinder. I mow about 2 days a week myself for about 12 hours a day, and from my outside point of view looking in, there is no way I would buy the Scag 28hp for $15000, over the Bad Boy 35hp for $12195. And I will tell you why. Both had the michigan seat, but the Bad Boy was slightly more comfortable, and took the bumps alot easier. Might not see a big difference if I only spent an hour a day mowing, but for me the suspension is a definate for me now (getting kinda spoiled out there...lol). I will admit, I am alittle biased because I am a Gold Bad Boy dealer, but I put that asside when comparing the two. TB might be able to chime in too, as he is both a Bad Boy and a Scag Dealer. Ask him which unit he sells the most of right now. Really looking at the 2 side by side, the BB is easier to work on by far with everything folding out. The 1/4 inch deck makes the scag's look sad. The front castors look bigger on the BB, but not sure the size of the Scag. Not to mention the cooling sytem bad boy puts on this diesel (this is sick!) 9 quart hyrdo tank, etc. All in all, my comparison comes to the conclusion that I would recommend putting the $3000 back in your pocket (or buy you an extra hydro walk behind...lol), get the massive 35hp 4 cylinder BB that is smooth and produces 70lbs of Torque at 1800 rpm instead of the 3 cylinder 28 which spits out 51 at 2300. You will thank me when you get an industrial, or cemetary, and are laughing at the guys getting beat to death on your old mowers...lol. TB won't like to see this though, cause I think the markup is alot better on the Scag...lol

tb8100
06-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I'll chime in on this one, I just got through mowing on the 28hp Cat TT today at a cemetery. The unit is around $15000. I liked it don't get me wrong, its a nice machine. Cut just like the 35hp BB I had out there. The 35 had a ton more power than the Scag, and taking it through the pasture there was no contest. The BB was by far a smoother running stronger power machine with the 35hp 4 cylinder. I mow about 2 days a week myself for about 12 hours a day, and from my outside point of view looking in, there is no way I would buy the Scag 28hp for $15000, over the Bad Boy 35hp for $12195. And I will tell you why. Both had the michigan seat, but the Bad Boy was slightly more comfortable, and took the bumps alot easier. Might not see a big difference if I only spent an hour a day mowing, but for me the suspension is a definate for me now (getting kinda spoiled out there...lol). I will admit, I am alittle biased because I am a Gold Bad Boy dealer, but I put that asside when comparing the two. TB might be able to chime in too, as he is both a Bad Boy and a Scag Dealer. Ask him which unit he sells the most of right now. Really looking at the 2 side by side, the BB is easier to work on by far with everything folding out. The 1/4 inch deck makes the scag's look sad. The front castors look bigger on the BB, but not sure the size of the Scag. All in all, my comparison comes to the conclusion that I would recommend putting the $3000 back in your pocket (or buy you an extra hydro walk behind...lol), get the massive 35hp 4 cylinder BB that is smooth and produces 70lbs of Torque at 1800 rpm instead of the 3 cylinder 28 which spits out 51 at 2300. You will thank me when you get an industrial, or cemetary, and are laughing at the guys getting beat to death on your old mowers...lol. TB won't like to see this though, cause I think the markup is alot better on the Scag...lol

Hey man, I have no problem comparing the two mowers. Believe it or not, my Bad Boys have better margins than my Scags! Don't ask me how they pull that off.

I think some clarity should be made. We can talk all day long about torque at 1800-2300rpms, but it's more important to know what your torque rating is at the actual operating speed on the mowers, and the 35hp CAT comes in around 60lb-ft. This is far and away a more powerful engine than the 28hp, but don't let me downplay the 28hp. It's a beast too.

This is an aside, but with the 35hp CAT having such insane low-end torque, it's the perfect engine for the new utility vehicles. I hope they put it in them!

retrodog
06-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Hey man, I have no problem comparing the two mowers. Believe it or not, my Bad Boys have better margins than my Scags! Don't ask me how they pull that off.

I think some clarity should be made. We can talk all day long about torque at 1800-2300rpms, but it's more important to know what your torque rating is at the actual operating speed on the mowers, and the 35hp CAT comes in around 60lb-ft. This is far and away a more powerful engine than the 28hp, but don't let me downplay the 28hp. It's a beast too.

This is an aside, but with the 35hp CAT having such insane low-end torque, it's the perfect engine for the new utility vehicles. I hope they put it in them!

Rumour is they are, I have 5 deposits right now so I hope they do, if not I just told them it would have the Cat diesel!...lol I don't even know how much they are gonna be...:). I took a bunch of pics of the prototype, and my trailer manufacturer, our mulch company, and a couple of buddies have already flopped down deposits so they will get one of the first of them...:weightlifter: Do you have to go through a distributer to get the Scags, or are you factory direct? That is crazy, I thought the BB's were low on the margins. I have a friend that works at the Grasshopper dealer, and he said they average out over 28%payup! I got the information on the Dixie Choppers cause they want me to be a dealer, and I got really excited when I saw their margins, then they informed me that none of the dealers sell at the retail...lol, but the promo price still had more mark up than the BB's.

tacoma200
04-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Many of you probably assume I think the Scag is the ultimate ZTR. Post 30 and 31 will show you some of the steep grades I have to cut at times and why I can't use some of the other major brands. I think most company's make good ZTR's but there are just a few models that will hang on rough slopes as well. I hear some brands will do even better. My Exmark would never do this, I actually doubt the Super Z would hold these hills. So I use Scag because it is versatile and I can cut slopes, wet grass, or manicured lawns with the same equipment. Took a while to find this old post.

tacoma200
04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
There is no way my Lazer wold hold.Another side ways. I can also go up and down on this hill if I need to and it gets steeper ahead of me where I turn. I have slipped and fell more than once trimming around the rocks and have no doubt I could mow steeper area's but I'm not going to.

capnsac
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm confused, are you having a conversation with yourself Tacoma?

tacoma200
04-27-2009, 08:59 PM
. .

I must be if this doesn't post the pics. Apparently I'm no good trying to post with a small hand held. I was trying to bring this picture forward to save others from having to look back to find it with a blackberry. I screwed up.