PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Nalgene Bottles and where do you put them/ secure them

Supper Grassy
06-16-2008, 06:16 PM
For those of you who are using nalgene bottles where do you put them?
Do you attch them to the mower, if so how?

Nalgene Bottle:
http://kismif.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/nalgene-bottle.jpg

Lawn-Sharks
06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
For those of you who are using nalgene bottles where do you put them?
Do you attch them to the mower, if so how?

What is that????

JimQ
06-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I wondered what the heck you were talking about. I had never heard of them.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/

Q

corey4671
06-16-2008, 06:23 PM
well..If I were to use one of those ridiculous things, I'd put in in my cupholder. I buy bottled water and gatorade. Keep a bucket on the trailer to toss the empties in. Burn them in my trash barrel at home.

Lawn-Sharks
06-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Why did you just say water bottle??? 2 of the 3 mowers i got have cup holders, i put my water bottle in them and go to work.

Supper Grassy
06-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Why did you just say water bottle??? 2 of the 3 mowers i got have cup holders, i put my water bottle in them and go to work.

they are bigger than a water bottle and almost unbreakable

capnsac
06-16-2008, 07:06 PM

you should put some dried-ice in one of those, add a little water, put the top on that nalgene bottle, shake and enjoy.

South Florida Lawns
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM

And prolly cost 50 bucks too!

Pastaboy62
06-16-2008, 07:45 PM
be careful, the plastic in them leak estrogen and other chemicals. Use a Sigg canteen...

Johnson LCO
06-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I cant believe noone has heard of nalgene bottles, they are extremely popular here in DE. They are pretty expensive, i think about 20 bucks but you can literally throw it against the wall and it will not even have a scratch.

STIHL GUY
06-16-2008, 07:53 PM
yea we have those around here. on a camping trip my friend chucked his down a cliff and we climbed dow to look at it and there was only a couple small scratches. oh it was filled to the top when he threw it too lol

bohiaa
06-16-2008, 07:56 PM
What ever happened to, Go To the truck and get a drink out of the water cooler ?

corey4671
06-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I cant believe noone has heard of nalgene bottles, they are extremely popular here in DE. They are pretty expensive, i think about 20 bucks but you can literally throw it against the wall and it will not even have a scratch.

for .99 I can buy a plastic bottle of water and throw it against a wall and it won't scratch or break either...:laugh:

tamadrummer
06-16-2008, 08:33 PM
for .99 I can buy a plastic bottle of water and throw it against a wall and it won't scratch or break either...:laugh:

Shoot for 3.88 I can get 24/20 oz. plastic bottles filled with Sam's Choice water and not throw them at anything and not feel too awful bad if one does break.

I can say, I don't use Nalgene bottles.

derbydon
06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
What do you have against a $.69 Polar Pop?

capnsac
06-16-2008, 09:37 PM
What do you have against a $.69 Polar Pop?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

MJS
06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Shoot for 3.88 I can get 24/20 oz. plastic bottles filled with Sam's Choice water and not throw them at anything and not feel too awful bad if one does break.

hahahaha that's the way I see it, too. Or I just end up drinking a gallon of Gatorade.

:weightlifter:

RhettMan
06-16-2008, 09:56 PM
who drinks fluid when their working?? i just hit up the 2 stoke mix when i need a sip

Pastaboy62
06-16-2008, 09:59 PM

I can say, I don't use Nalgene bottles.

Yeah, but that creates excess waste. These water bottles are reusable...And to answer the question. I stuff mine in between my seat and the center console.

RhettMan
06-16-2008, 10:01 PM
while we are on the topic, does anyone else freeze gallon water jugs and leave the on the trailer for ice cold water?

MnDLawn
06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
5 gallon Igloo cooler and everyone has a good old fashion plastic bottle. Do you really need to drink while mowing a lawn unless we are talking acres?

ncgrad00
06-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I ran my nalgene over with my car and it didnt break. The only problem is the top plastic will break before the bottle does.

shovelracer
06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
I freeze all my drinks this time of year. I have had a few nalgenes and a few knock offs. The nalgenes are unbreakable. I ran over one with a truck once and it crushed but didnt break. They dont fit in most cup holders, but a carabeaner will hold them to about anything. They also keep a drink colder longer than any regular bottle of water. Say what you want I like them better than spending $5 a day at the store or having to deal with empty bottles all the time.

capnsac
06-16-2008, 10:26 PM
while we are on the topic, does anyone else freeze gallon water jugs and leave the on the trailer for ice cold water?

yup, at about 3 or 4 hours in when I get really thirsty is when that puppy is all thawed and good to drink

Supper Grassy
06-16-2008, 10:27 PM
How full do you fill the gallon jug?

Reassurance Property
06-16-2008, 10:33 PM
nalgenes are great. Strong and Reusable. As for who ever said they burn their plastic bottles when they get home, that's not cool. Also they make Nalgene's in different shapes and sizes so you can get them in a cup holder.

jaybird24
06-16-2008, 10:43 PM
I read somewhere Nalgene is coming out with a new bottle that doesn't leech the chemicals out of it. I don't know how bad it is, but I'm sure they are probably outlawed in Cali. Anyway We just use a 3 gal. cooler- cost $15 and keeps water colder and doesn't leech estrogen. I think Nalgenes slogan is 'You make me feel like a natural woman'.

RhettMan
06-16-2008, 11:05 PM
How full do you fill the gallon jug?

not to the top because the frozen water will expand and bust the plastic and when you throw it in the truck and forget about it you will have a wet seat/carpet...... id say leave about 4 inch from the top of the jug opening to the water line, then in the morning before work, pour tap into the top (or whatever water that you drink) to fill it, soon the frozen part will be a floating ice berg

corey4671
06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
As for who ever said they burn their plastic bottles when they get home, that's not cool.

guilty :waving:

corey4671
06-16-2008, 11:09 PM

when I still lived at home on the farm, this was what we did. gallon milk jugs filled about 3/4 way with water. put em in the deep freeze and then tie it somewhere on the tractor (no a/c, open tractor) good ol COLD water all day.

nosparkplugs
06-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I purchase .69 cent Wal-Mart gallon jugs of drinking water, and paper or plastic cups, the guys work until it's time for a break, and not one person has ever decided to take a "water" break on a ZTR. I bet if you through those Nalgene water bottles under a deck going at 19,00FPS their toast. Not one of my guys has ever used a cup holder on our mowers. The Nalgene bottles are like designer cloths your "cool" if your drinking out of one.

corey4671
06-16-2008, 11:17 PM
The Nalgene bottles are like designer cloths your "cool" if your drinking out of one.

:clapping::clapping:YES!!:clapping::clapping:

RhettMan
06-16-2008, 11:18 PM
when I still lived at home on the farm, this was what we did. gallon milk jugs filled about 3/4 way with water. put em in the deep freeze and then tie it somewhere on the tractor (no a/c, open tractor) good ol COLD water all day.

this is where i learned it also, another thing i have seen is insead of using the water gallon freeze as a drink it self, i have seen farmers freeze the gallon completely and use it as an ice cube in their water coolers, funny how on a farm you can be so resourceful

KatKutter
06-16-2008, 11:25 PM
A 5 gallon water jug on the trailor has worked just fine for 20 years. Water all day nice and cold for the price of a bag of ice. Besides Im to busy working to suck on a bottle of water all the time when im mowing. I can get a drink between mowing and trimming. This isnt a luxury job boys, Its a damn hot and hard working job, if you want to make it work for you, your gonna get dirty, thirsty, tired, and even sick of it at times. Keep on Cuttin says the Katkutter (lol)

AdamChrap
06-17-2008, 12:13 AM
As for who ever said they burn their plastic bottles when they get home, that's not cool.

I think it's cool :blob2:

nosparkplugs
06-17-2008, 12:46 AM
A 5 gallon water jug on the trailor has worked just fine for 20 years. Water all day nice and cold for the price of a bag of ice. Besides Im to busy working to suck on a bottle of water all the time when im mowing. I can get a drink between mowing and trimming. This isnt a luxury job boys, Its a damn hot and hard working job, if you want to make it work for you, your gonna get dirty, thirsty, tired, and even sick of it at times. Keep on Cuttin says the Katkutter (lol)

Could not agree more, Gotta lol at the guys who wear shorts doing this too
Their are days we skip lunch; because it's so frinkin hot, and everyone would rather work to the point of nausea if it means getting done early for the day, and out of the sun. Stopping for water while mowing?, your sitting on your arse how dehydrated can sitting make you. We freeze our Gator-Aid Rain, and buy mid day it's thawed perfect for a break. I feel better getting all the weedeating done before a break.

02DURAMAX
06-17-2008, 12:49 AM

sure......

MJS
06-17-2008, 12:51 AM

Dude, do you know how much plastic stinks when it burns? Not cool :laugh:

AdamChrap
06-17-2008, 01:14 AM
well don't stand there over it while it's burning dumb@$$!! :laugh:

But I like the smell of that beautiful black smoke :dancing:

KS_Grasscutter
06-17-2008, 01:17 AM
I have a 1/2 gallon rubbermaid water jug for spring and fall, and a 1 gallon for summer. some days I even need to take both. That little pussy ass tiny pollitically corrected up nalgene bottle aint exactly gonna do it for me, i'd have to refill it like 80 times.

[edited] watch the language.jodi

AdamChrap
06-17-2008, 01:17 AM
I am a fan of the BFC Monster Kaos energy drinks in the aluminum cans and no I do not recycle. My father recycles aluminum cans but not for the environment because he figures it is dumb to throw away a can that is worth 2 cents. I told him I would pay him 3 cents a can to throw them away just so I didn't have to look at them laying around in various spots and have to hear him give me crap for throwing them away :laugh: he didn't take me up on it.

AdamChrap
06-17-2008, 01:18 AM
I have a 1/2 gallon rubbermaid water jug for spring and fall, and a 1 gallon for summer. some days I even need to take both. That little pussy ass tiny pollitically corrected up nalgene bottle aint exactly gonna do it for me, i'd have to refill it like 80 times. f**k that...

:laugh: Awesome

mngrassguy
06-17-2008, 04:15 AM
Burn them in my trash barrel at home.

Not to mention illegal in some places.

petekief
06-17-2008, 08:55 AM
A freind of mine suggested this.
I tried it and will continue to do it.
Mix powdered Gatorade 2.5 scoops instead of the recomended 4 to a gallon. Mix it in gallon jugs and kept one for each man in ice water in a cooler and one spare aside.
Throw back a quick drink everytime you go back to the truck.
Nothing like turning up a gallon jug and glugging away.
"glug - glug - glug - glug - glug - tsk - aahhhhhhhhhh"

gatorade mix 50 cents

gallon jug from walmart 79 cents

cold thirst quenching refreshment running down your chin neck and shirt - ahhhhhhhh - priceless

Supper Grassy
06-17-2008, 12:46 PM
One of the construction crews around here mix up gatorade (water it down) then put the mix into plastic bags so they are big ice cubes for the 5 gallon continer

corey4671
06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a 1/2 gallon rubbermaid water jug for spring and fall, and a 1 gallon for summer. some days I even need to take both. That little pussy ass tiny pollitically corrected up nalgene bottle aint exactly gonna do it for me, i'd have to refill it like 80 times.

somebody buy this guy a drink!! He has NOT drank the koolaid yet, thank God!:usflag:

hockeypro1411
06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
im gonna find an old nalgene bottle from someone and toss it under a mower. kinda curious as to what would happen.

- video will follow

nashmower
06-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I have used nalgenes for years - we just switched over to the eastman plastics version that does not have BPA (arguably bad-for-you ingredient in most all #7 recyclable plastics). As far as attaching them - if you're on a walk behind, you can always use a strap and carabiner (sp?) on the handlebars. Also!! BUY THE splashguard inserts for the nalgene!!! They are worth their weight in GOLD! - - you can actually drink your beverage of choice while walking without spilling it all over yourself.

BPA has the most potential for harm in younger children (baby food containers), and pregnant or nursing women. If you're 55yrs old - I don't think the trace amounts of BPA are going to catch up with you. :)

Careful when trying to test their "unbreakable under normal circumstances" claims.

I once had a youth who, upon hearing of it's 'unbreakable' claim instantly had to test his metal against the bottle. - as predictable, . . if you throw a hard, resonant object against a concrete slab, it will rebound with almost exactly the same force you put into it! It was the zeal with which he leaned over into the throw that almost did him in.

-too funny - - it was a graze, not a full impact - otherwise we might have been emergency room bound.

-after that I stopped handing over my nalgene bottles to people who were eager to try break them. :)

As others have said - if you go through a lot of plastic bottles - - PLEASE RECYCLE!!!!!! Show a little love for those that will be living long after you are gone. -- surely someone has mentioned that plastic bottles are a petroleum product!? :) mmm hm. . . hi gas prices huh?

Grasshog
06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
So I should speed 20.00 dollars on a plastic bottle. So if I ever have my water slung into a brick wall it would be safe... I think I'd rather use a empty soda bottle.

nashmower
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I've never spent $20 on a nalgene.
try $6-$9

where are you guys buying these things?

Let me know if you need to know where to order them for cheaper.

Supper Grassy
06-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I've never spent $20 on a nalgene.
try $6-$9

where are you guys buying these things?

Let me know if you need to know where to order them for cheaper.

where are you getting them?

nashmower
06-17-2008, 05:52 PM
rei.com
or
campmor.com

both have links to BPA free products on their front page.

Dear moderator - I don't know whether putting up those site references is allowed or not - I have no affiliation with them whatsoever - - and if you need to delete them, you have my blessing! otherwise - relish in the freedom from $20 nalgene (there are other brands that are just as good.)

Jason Rose
06-17-2008, 11:23 PM
So, the WATER BOTTLE in question... where's the insulation?? How does that keep water cold? If you put ice and water in it 1. it's going to sweat an insane amount, and 2. it will be hot in a matter of a 1/2 hour. Of course that wouldn't matter much since that's only about a 1/2 hours worth of fluids... I have never seen a reason to carry a drink with me on the mowers. Unless you are far far from the truck and mowing for hours on end in the blistering sun... But there's the trouble, your bottle pictured will be hot as hell and empty before you are done anyway.

Supper Grassy
06-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I dont have the luxury of a Z so i am not sitting down riding around, i am walking around behind my 36"

The nalgene is small but allows me to carry enough water untill i need to refill

jaybird24
06-18-2008, 12:48 AM
My wife has one that she puts in our radio flyer when she takes our daughter to the park.

Gardens55
06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
gatorade mix 50 cents

gallon jug from walmart 79 cents

cold thirst quenching refreshment running down your chin neck and shirt - ahhhhhhhh - priceless

:laugh::laugh:

cgaengineer
06-18-2008, 09:22 AM
But I like the smell of that beautiful black smoke :dancing:

Thats why I burn tires!!

AdamChrap
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Thats why I burn tires!!

That is illegal! :drinkup:

cgaengineer
06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
That is illegal! :drinkup:

Keeps the neighborhood free of mosquitoes...especially if you do it on a day where the ceiling (clouds) is low and humidity is high.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I start the tires burning with several gallons of waste oil and diesel fuel. Dont worry about me burning the neighborhood down...I do all of this right next to my favorite trout stream. I also use this fire to get rid of any old pesticide bottles and also any pesticides that still have liquid in them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dont really burn tires or pesticides, but it is sure fun to talk about doing wasteful and environmental damaging things around the greenies!!

AdamChrap
06-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Keeps the neighborhood free of mosquitoes...especially if you do it on a day where the ceiling (clouds) is low and humidity is high.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I start the tires burning with several gallons of waste oil and diesel fuel. Dont worry about me burning the neighborhood down...I do all of this right next to my favorite trout stream. I also use this fire to get rid of any old pesticide bottles and also any pesticides that still have liquid in them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dont really burn tires or pesticides, but it is sure fun to talk about doing wasteful and environmental damaging things around the greenies!!

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttt :laughing::laugh::laughing::laugh::laughing::laugh:

KS_Grasscutter
06-18-2008, 07:55 PM

WTF? Do you have some cameras hidden on my place? You just described the exact way I do it, too.

:)

EDIT: I forgot to add, I am always careful not to over do the used oil in the fire, as I have to have quite a bit left to use to keep weeds down around the shop and stuff...

cgaengineer
06-18-2008, 08:08 PM
WTF? Do you have some cameras hidden on my place? You just described the exact way I do it, too.

:)

EDIT: I forgot to add, I am always careful not to over do the used oil in the fire, as I have to have quite a bit left to use to keep weeds down around the shop and stuff...

I stopped using oil to kill the weeds it worked too slowly, even though gas is more expensive it gives me the kill I am looking for and since it leaches into the soil so well the weeds stay gone for years!

cgaengineer
06-18-2008, 08:09 PM
WTF? Do you have some cameras hidden on my place?

Nope, its just that great minds think alike!

KS_Grasscutter
06-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Nope, its just that great minds think alike!

Ah, yes.

We pretty effectively hijacked this thread about the inferior water containers. To get back on track, I went through my 1 gallon jug in the half day that I worked today... if we did one more lawn, I woulda regretted not bringing both. Lets see... I think that woulda taken 5 Nalgene bottles....which is like $100 or so worth of water bottles...

AdamChrap
06-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Ah, yes.

We pretty effectively hijacked this thread about the inferior water containers. To get back on track, I went through my 1 gallon jug in the half day that I worked today... if we did one more lawn, I woulda regretted not bringing both. Lets see... I think that woulda taken 5 Nalgene bottles....which is like $100 or so worth of water bottles...

We were talking about water bottles? I wounder if it will be nice and dark on the 4th for my bond fire?

This is one I had last year and I swear everything in it was totally legal to burn :rolleyes:

jaybird24
06-19-2008, 01:20 AM
I bet one of those magic water bottles could somehow have enough water to put that fire out, heck I bet you could throw it in that fire and it wouldn't even melt.

bare spot
06-19-2008, 01:37 AM
been doing this for a long time, works good, just keep it out of the sun. got one for tom. in the freezer now.

cgaengineer
06-19-2008, 07:54 AM
We were talking about water bottles? I wounder if it will be nice and dark on the 4th for my bond fire?

This is one I had last year and I swear everything in it was totally legal to burn :rolleyes:

Got to be some tires on that fire!!

jaybird24
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Tires, maybe a chunk of paraffin, or could it be magnesium?

cgaengineer
06-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Tires, maybe a chunk of paraffin, or could it be magnesium?

Yeah thats it...old VW parts!! Those Nalgene bottles should be used for gas can since they are so tough...

I filled up a few weeks ago (Blitz 5g) and put it into trailer beside my Toro 40". As I was leaving my customers, one of my tie down straps came untied and got under the tire of my trailer. When this happened it came across my gas can and the ratchet struck the can poking a hole right near the bottom of the full Blitz can. Gas was pouring all over the place. Without an extra 5gal can to transfer the leaking can into I turned it upside down, tossed the strap into back of trailer (it was damaged) and proceeded...damn if this whole process didn't repeat itself! This time it was a much smaller hole, but still leaking. I then rushed to the nearest parts store and purchased another crap Blitz can to transfer my gas.

When it rains it pours!! It doesn't take much gas poured on pavement to look like several gallons.

corey4671
06-20-2008, 12:36 AM
ok you all can call me a liar all you want, but yesterday I had my PLASTIC water bottle that I had frozen the night before in the cup holder of my Warrior. Tree limb caught it and knocked it out. Before I could stop I had run over it and mower shot it about 15 feet across the yard. I got off and went to retrieve it expecting it to be shredded as I had just installed a brand new set of blades on the mower that morning. Put bottle back in cup holder expacting it to just leak out as the ice melted. Ya know what? never leaked a DROP! so all you nalgene tree huggers...GITCHA SOME OF THAT!!

KS_Grasscutter
06-20-2008, 12:39 AM
ok you all can call me a liar all you want, but yesterday I had my PLASTIC water bottle that I had frozen the night before in the cup holder of my Warrior. Tree limb caught it and knocked it out. Before I could stop I had run over it and mower shot it about 15 feet across the yard. I got off and went to retrieve it expecting it to be shredded as I had just installed a brand new set of blades on the mower that morning. Put bottle back in cup holder expacting it to just leak out as the ice melted. Ya know what? never leaked a DROP! so all you nalgene tree huggers...GITCHA SOME OF THAT!!

RIGHT ON!!!:clapping::clapping: