PDA

View Full Version : Own Yard

Lawnbiz Jeff
06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I know that the last thing any of you guys want to do after mowing all week is to mow your own yards. It seems like from many threads it is a badge of honor for some of you to have the worst yard in the neighborhood. I don't have the energy to do my own 2 acre yard as well as I do my customers, but I do it every week - even if I don't string trim everything very often. My neighbors mow much more often, but I do get mine weekly. My question to you guys that don't keep up with your own yard is how much business does it cost you in your own neighborhood to not keep your own yard up? I feel that I have to keep my yard at least presentable since my neighbors know that I am an LCO. In fact there are other LCO's ( 1 school age kid and 1 guy with a lawn tractor and new ztr) starting to enter my neighborhood.

k911lowe
06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
your still new at it.you will get over it after about 10 years.unless you have kids to do it .my 3 donkeys mow my 2 1/2acres.

Greene Brothers Lawn Care
06-16-2008, 08:00 PM
I have not trouble keeping up with my own lawn, but come to find out, one of my customers has his own lawn service. I recently ran into him at the local gas station. I think it is kind of funny.

grandview (2006)
06-16-2008, 08:02 PM
My neighbor cut my lawn,it was nice coming home like everyone else and the lawn was cut.:cool2:

jkilov
The blacksmith's horses are always barefoot.

bohiaa
My employees do mine,

grandview (2006)
06-16-2008, 08:04 PM
The blacksmith's horses are always barefoot.

The shoe makers kids never have shoes.

evergreenedmond
06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
i have the best lawn in my neighborhood, I live in a high traffic area & it has helped pick up a lot of business for me. I live pretty close to a high end steak house & bar & all of the people see my house after eating a $150.00 steak.

freshprince94
06-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I take good care of my own yard, it has helped me get business and I maintained it nicely before I started mowing.

CFB
06-16-2008, 08:33 PM
I have not trouble keeping up with my own lawn, but come to find out, one of my customers has his own lawn service. I recently ran into him at the local gas station. I think it is kind of funny.

I've considered shopping out my yard to another LCO, or seeing if he will trade me an account for my own yard. My yard looks terrible, 1 acre of mess... when all my neigbors love their own lawns and mow 3 times a week. I'm not interested in business in my neigborhood, however.

At least I got out the string trimmer twice this year. Last year I only trimmed one time.

Mowing my own lawn is the last thing I want to do when the day is done.

hackitdown
06-16-2008, 08:48 PM
My yard is very nice. No one can see it, since it is very private. I just do it as I put my stuff away for the day.

STIHL GUY
06-16-2008, 08:49 PM
im in High School and only have 8 accounts so far so i have time to mow my yard twice a week to keep it looking nice

Sym
06-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I live on 1.5 acres of bahia down an obscure dirt road that 3 other LCO's live on within a mile of each other and judging by the yards...none of us are interested in any of the few neighbors that live here. Hell, I only have a few bahia yards that I mow, all the rest are some form of St. Augustine.

lawnwizards
06-16-2008, 08:54 PM
i have the best lawn in my neighborhood, I live in a high traffic area & it has helped pick up a lot of business for me. I live pretty close to a high end steak house & bar & all of the people see my house after eating a $150.00 steak.

the only way i'd pay 150 for a steak is if it was served on scarlett johanson's naked body. :D

SNAPPER MAN
06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I keep my lawn beautiful. I have the best yard on the street. I have around 40 flats of annuals in my flowerbeds, mulch twice a year, and mow it to perfection every time. I just have my employees help me do it because we mow 3 other houses in a row on my street. My yard has gotten me alot of business.

ALC-GregH
06-16-2008, 09:15 PM
In the past I've been a slacker but in the last few years, I've been working to get the lawn and everything around it looking great. I hate looking at a un-trimmed house with dead clippings all over the place and weeds growing 4ft tall around the front porch. Now, I planted a few trees and I'm cutting in a new flower bed in the front with a Trencher bed edger tomorrow and mulching everything so it looks nice and clean as I feel it's a direct reflection of your company. And to be honest, I really like my own place to look good anymore as I had said before, I use to be a slacker and had junk laying everywhere, garbage piled up, toys, bikes, trampoline with grass 2ft tall growing around it, swing set that most any kid wouldn't consider using with 3+ft tall weeds and grass around it. Working a full time job over an hour from home made for long days and rarely would I be home before dark. If I missed one weekend, I'd have to deal with 2 weeks of growth and it would just escalate to some "Munsters" looking back yard. LOL The bad part was, I really liked a nice yard but never had the time. Now I have too much time and mow it 2 times a week. I cut it shorter then I wanted last cut and want to let it grow out a bunch and bag and strip it cut longer then normal to see what it will look like. It needs cut now and I'm dieing to cut it but I have to have some self control and wait. LOL :o

PushingupDaisies
06-16-2008, 09:31 PM

LOL, you have no idea how tempted I have been:laugh:

jaybird24
06-16-2008, 09:47 PM
I have a friend do mine and I do his. Neither of us wants work in our own neighborhood- did that once and they seem to think you are always accessible to do stuff right now. By doing each others our neighbors figure we are too busy to take on any more work, (which I am right now). When I get home, I'm home- I don't want to think about more labor work, it's paperwork time. I do everything except mow, and I keep my yard up real nice. I have done landscaping for some, but they never like the bill, they seem to think they should get a deal, even though I have to go to town to get materials just like any other customer.

1993lx172
06-16-2008, 10:36 PM

The painter's house needs paint.

The mechanic's car needs work.

freshprince94
06-16-2008, 10:42 PM
the only way i'd pay 150 for a steak is if it was served on scarlett johanson's naked body. :D

lmao true that

PerfectEarth
06-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I love working in my yard. It's crazy, but I find it a bit relaxing to water my planters and mess around a bit after I get home. I put in the major labor on it years ago so I now have it tweaked so I can tinker on the smaller stuff. And it DOES generate good business for me in the area. I've done 4 landscapes within a block because of my yard. AND built up the equity in my home.

Sym
06-16-2008, 10:50 PM

I'm more of a Jessica Biel kinda guy

Grits
06-16-2008, 11:21 PM
My yard looked better before I got in the biz. It looks pretty bad now. But I still get biz in my neighborhood (even though I don't recommend working in your hood).

topsites
06-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I feel bad in two ways...
One if my yard is absolutely horrible, that to me is a terrible reflection upon my business, at least from any onlooker's perspective an Lco's yard shouldn't be the worst looking one.

But to maintain it takes company money, and that money comes from my customers, so every time I do something I almost feel like I am taking their money and putting it to my own benefit instead of theirs.... Which that's fine, but to a point, a full lawn treatment on my acre lot runs a thousand dollars... Granted the labor I can leave out but it still takes something like 1,600 pounds between seed and fertilizer and lime, plus using the machines and the cost of the stuff...
So I don't think from my own perspective it would be very wise to charge high prices and have a class-A lawn UNLESS all of my customers had that type of turf, too...

So I keep up on it, it's not the worst, far from the best, somewhere in the middle.
Then I have headlights on the Z, wouldn't be the first time I've cut my own after dark :p

bohiaa
06-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Well I MUST admit,,,, Last year, I was Very busy, my wife was after me to make our lawn look good, " before the letter from the city arrives"

I would say ok dear tomorrow, well tomorrow never came...

So When I got home one nite,,,, You Guessed it, a lawn Co. was cutting my lawn.

AdamChrap
06-17-2008, 12:23 AM
This is my compound

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=44633&ie=UTF8&ll=40.616966,-81.91241&spn=0.01189,0.018711&t=h&z=16

If you ever see my yard you are a good friend or you will never see it again. lol.

CFB
06-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Well I MUST admit,,,, Last year, I was Very busy, my wife was after me to make our lawn look good, " before the letter from the city arrives"

I would say ok dear tomorrow, well tomorrow never came...

So When I got home one nite,,,, You Guessed it, a lawn Co. was cutting my lawn.

Nice. You're wife is cool to give you a break like that. Hopefully he was a lowballer.

DuallyVette
06-17-2008, 12:27 AM

" The cobblers children have no shoes"
:)

Pastaboy62
06-17-2008, 12:52 AM
I make my lawn the first one of the week...

KS_Grasscutter
06-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Yea, my lawn gets done same as the rest of them. It helps this year since I am doing the one next door, so it's easiest to just do them both at the same time.

The way I look at it, if a potential customer sees your rig sitting at a house at night that has a ghetto ass lawn, are they gonna hire you?

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-17-2008, 02:29 AM
...My question to you guys that don't keep up with your own yard is how much business does it cost you in your own neighborhood to not keep your own yard up?

Ahhhh, the joys of living on a dead end road in the country...

mngrassguy
06-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Ahhhh, the joys of living on a dead end road in the country...

Same here. My PO Box doesn't have a lawn either.

I have 2 acres of SOLID oaks and maples making it very hard to grow grass. My fall clean-up is massive. Takes me about 40 man hours to do it myself.

Then there's my hosta gardens, Koi ponds and Bio falls.

Keith
06-17-2008, 04:09 AM
My yard comes and goes. It looked like crap when I bought the house. I did the irrigation, landscaping and sod the next year. It looked good for about two years, then I let it go. I resodded it and tore out some of the landscaping last year. This year it is back to needing some help. The front yard is all I really care about. And that's pretty small, so when I get motivated it gets done pretty quickly.

rt20
06-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Neither of us wants work in our own neighborhood- did that once and they seem to think you are always accessible to do stuff right now. By doing each others our neighbors figure we are too busy to take on any more work, (which I am right now). When I get home, I'm home- I don't want to think about more labor work, it's paperwork time. I do everything except mow, and I keep my yard up real nice. I have done landscaping for some, but they never like the bill, they seem to think they should get a deal, even though I have to go to town to get materials just like any other customer.

I actually enjoy doing my own yard, but I have turned down work for neighbor and referred them to competitors.

"Friends" who ask for deals are told," Actually since we know each other would you mind if I charge you extra? You wouldn't mind helping me out would you." :laugh:

RICHIE K
06-17-2008, 07:20 AM
my workers do mine

hackitdown
06-17-2008, 07:31 AM
my workers do mine

Me too, I go inside and do "paperwork" while he gets it done.

CALandscapes
06-17-2008, 07:49 AM
My yard hasn't been mowed in several months...

I keep meaning to hire the neighborhood lawn guy to cut it... :o:o:o

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 08:02 AM
I have 7 lawns to maintain so thats like over 3 accounts, and I have another prorerty that I cut over 3 acers, that takes me around 2 hours <with BEER of coarse> to cut and trim and do a little extra. Im just a poor man but I do have a yard of a millonare