PDA

View Full Version : My Rig For 08..

MileHigh
06-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Here is my maintenance rig. Me and my employee cut about 80-100 residential lawns and 2 commercial accounts a week. My next large purchase will be a F-450 or an 4500 diesel dump truck. Tell me what ya'll think. I also use a hedge trimmer and another edger, stihl model.

ATouchofGrass
06-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Love the trailer, cutting that many accounts why not think of a 350 and getting a rider?

MileHigh
06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Love the trailer, cutting that many accounts why not think of a 350 and getting a rider?

I'm going 450 dump.

ZTR would be nice but 99% that I cut isn't that large...so maybe next year I land some larger in size accounts...but I love a lot of little checks rolling in.

freshprince94
06-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Nice rig. eXmark is the way to go.

corey4671
06-16-2008, 07:51 PM
maybe its just the way the truck and trailer are parked but CRAP, that rear gate looks awful steep! Nice setup by the way.

kreft
06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
just wondering... why do you need a dumptruck? love the exmarks btw!

MileHigh
06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
just wondering... why do you need a dumptruck? love the exmarks btw!

grass clippings, mulch, ICE MELT.

Thanks.

lifetree
06-16-2008, 08:01 PM
... ZTR would be nice but 99% that I cut isn't that large...so maybe next year I land some larger in size accounts...but I love a lot of little checks rolling in.

Yeah, I haven't seen too many LCO's with 3 WB's and no ZTR ... that is a little unusual !! But nice rig and equipment.

MileHigh
06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen too many LCO's with 3 WB's and no ZTR ... that is a little unusual !! But nice rig and equipment.

What's so unusual?..

I cut resi's, the 48" does most front yards, 36" does most gated backs, 32" does the gated backs the 36 or 48 can't get into, the 21" hardly gets used and goes into the very few gates a 32" won't fit...

make any sense?...well it works well for me and my helper.

I've noticed that we can cut lawns much faster if I handle the front, he handles the back, and whoever is done first does what the other isn't...pretty easy, real efficent for us.

oakhillslandscaping
06-16-2008, 09:13 PM
nice exmarks man

Supper Grassy
06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Hwo does the 36 pull you on the standon?

MileHigh
06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Hwo does the 36 pull you on the standon?

Like I'm a little girl..

S man
06-16-2008, 11:41 PM
VERY NICE setup! Love the exmark and shindaiwa stuff. Which handhelds do you like better? The stihl or shindaiwa?

newtostone
06-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Thats a great setup you have going for yourself, and even tho your lawns are smaller you seem to have it down pat to get in some lawns per week. I think you have the right idea for the walkbehinds, i used to use ztr's and i got my first exmark walkbehind this year. without a doubt any smaller or tight area lawns your are hands down faster, better cut, and less turf damage. They are cheaper to repair, cost less $ in fuel each day, cost less to buy, and the best part is it takes about 20 min to learn how to cut with it. Just keep on doing what you do and go big. (side note here, look into a 550 or 5500, with a 19k gvw you can still stay under the cgvw of 26k even when hauling a 7k landscape trailer, but this will let you move more topsoil salt and not wear your truck nearly as much when plowing of loading it as much as you will.) Best of luck and keep us updated on your success's.

MJS
06-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Nice equipment :weightlifter:

It cool to see a lco who hasn't succumbed to the pressure that tells you to by a zero turn, regardless of whether you really need one, they just look cool doncha know. hehe

A treat to see a well planned wb/only setup.

MileHigh
06-17-2008, 12:18 AM
VERY NICE setup! Love the exmark and shindaiwa stuff. Which handhelds do you like better? The stihl or shindaiwa?
Thanks. I like my shindy's, my helper like's the stihl's. The stihl trimmer has more power than the shindy, and the shindy edger does a much better job cutting through the thicker edges.

Thats a great setup you have going for yourself, and even tho your lawns are smaller you seem to have it down pat to get in some lawns per week. I think you have the right idea for the walkbehinds, i used to use ztr's and i got my first exmark walkbehind this year. without a doubt any smaller or tight area lawns your are hands down faster, better cut, and less turf damage. They are cheaper to repair, cost less $ in fuel each day, cost less to buy, and the best part is it takes about 20 min to learn how to cut with it. Just keep on doing what you do and go big. (side note here, look into a 550 or 5500, with a 19k gvw you can still stay under the cgvw of 26k even when hauling a 7k landscape trailer, but this will let you move more topsoil salt and not wear your truck nearly as much when plowing of loading it as much as you will.) Best of luck and keep us updated on your success's.

Thanks for the advice.

farmboy1285
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Nice equiptment, is there any advantage to having the high sides on the trailer?

S man
06-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks. I like my shindy's, my helper like's the stihl's. The stihl trimmer has more power than the shindy, and the shindy edger does a much better job cutting through the thicker edges.

Thanks for the advice.

Same with me. I have stihl and redmax. I like the redmax and my dad likes the stihl. Do you get much string with the speedfeed and gaurd on?? I'm thinking about putting the gaurds back on.
Again great setup!

RedMax Man
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Looks good, there are crews in my area that run only walkbehinds. The large zero turn mowers aren't for everyone. I don't even have one myself because just wouldn't fit what i do as well as the other types of mowers i use.