PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With Cheap Customers?

lawn crafters
06-16-2008, 07:40 PM
i have a customer for lawn care and every time i ask her to cut it (because they dont want weekly) she always says its not long enoughwhen it really is like almost a foot high. what whould you do in a situation were you cut every 16 days

k911lowe
06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
if it fits in your schedule and you can make money,if not dump her.

mowerbrad
06-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Every 16 days? I would never agree to a schedule like that, every time that I would mow would be a different day of the week. That lawn really sounds like a pain. If you can get them to switch to every 14 days then do that but if not just drop her.

shepoutside
06-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I offer 7 and 14 day contracts, so not a huge deal to me.

lawn crafters
06-16-2008, 07:52 PM
well the problem is she is my neighbor

lawnpro724
06-16-2008, 08:44 PM
I offer 7 and 14 day contracts, so not a huge deal to me.

I offer 7 and 10 day contracts 14 days is way to long between mowings especially in spring and early summer. This year all it does is rain and every 10 days seems like a long time between mowing, after 7 days the grass is already to long.

lawnwizards
06-16-2008, 08:48 PM

drop her. the situation will never get better.

Sweet Tater
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
neighbor or not, no longer than 14 days, if not, drop her.

ALC-GregH
06-16-2008, 09:27 PM
I'd let her know when it needs to be cut. Thats why they hired me. I always tell them ahead of time that it will be every week until growth slows down and them I'll decide if it needs mowed.

billslawn89
06-16-2008, 10:01 PM
if she's your neighbor and you don't have any drive time with the truck, just mower, i would keep her, but cut it when you have time...she calls and said she wants it done, tell her when you can fit it in your schedule, but cut it a little higher! LOL thats easy money there! i have a few like that, sucks i know, they call when they think its time, but when i cut it, its cut high...still looks good because its so freaking tall, any height you cut it will make it look good!

STIHL GUY
06-16-2008, 10:14 PM
mow every 14 days and raise the blades so it grows faster

andyslawncare
06-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I only offer weekly-every 7 days-33 cuts/year & bi-weekly-every 14 days-19 cuts/year (i get paid the same 12 months/year)
when people ask me to come on a day when we arent in the area, the answer is no...most of them will agree as they don't want to bother calling another service if they are happy with your work when you come....Now tell your customer that the reason that they hired you was to make the lawn look good...when people tell me that it doesn't need cut I say, "Thats why we are here, your lawn always looks good because we cut it BEFORE it needs it and looks bad." I'll drop a customer only when its out of the way and I can replace them with 3 more in the same week.

Green Pastures
06-16-2008, 10:23 PM
I offer 7 or 14 day contracts.

Period.

bohiaa
06-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I'd let her know when it needs to be cut. Thats why they hired me. I always tell them ahead of time that it will be every week until growth slows down and them I'll decide if it needs mowed.

I have a few like this.....

Just cut it when you think it needs cutting.......

I can Garentee you It needs cutting every week, Or when I make it out there

Chilehead
06-16-2008, 11:33 PM
I offer 7 and 10 day contracts 14 days is way to long between mowings especially in spring and early summer. This year all it does is rain and every 10 days seems like a long time between mowing, after 7 days the grass is already to long.

Exactly my style!:drinkup: I offer to cut every ten days or weekly. I'd find a replacement for that customer, then drop her.:waving:

hackitdown
06-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Do what she asks, and charge accordingly if it takes longer. If she won't pay extra, warn her that it will look bad if she waits too long...then cut it after 20 days, and show her the results. Let her decide.

Liendeni
06-17-2008, 08:17 AM
I'd maybe be nice and tell her that the grass being that high is bad on your equipment. Tell her that it is getting so high that it almost needs to be bush hogged and not mowed. Maybe tell that 14 days is really the max that any lawn should go without being mowed...and even at that....its still not that great on your equipment. "And to be honest mam....I have 123 accounts and you are the only person that wants me to mow it this high" - I'd like to keep your account but I because I have to mow it so often....I often have to go back over it twice, which just means more work for me....and more wear and tear on my equipment." I hope you understand.

A little common sense explaining can usually go a long way. And besides...if you are nice and "explain" it to them like that....where you put them in the position of understanding that they are somewhat screwing you by asking you to mow it they way they have....and if they still persist....man....I'd drop them real quick.

Just means they really don't care about you whatsoever and are just looking to be super cheap. There seems to be more unrealistic....anything to save a buck....even at your own expense....kind of people out there than good ones. Real shame too.

I am quickly realizing what I already knew, "I hate humans!"

TheBigGW
06-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Do not cut the house over 10 days 11 max are you crazy its gonna beat the crap out of your machines neighbor or not is she gonna pay to fix the machine it dont sound like she will. Weekly or bi weekly(Monday then next friday then skip a week then monday the next friday then ski[p a week) The best biweekly schedule you can go with. But you dont want longer then 10 or 11 days it grows to high. Or you raise your blades and cut it and then drop your blades and do it again. THAT sux but what can you do. Tell her you are to busy. Or that you dont do work for friend family or neighbors.

lawn crafters
06-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Do not cut the house over 10 days 11 max are you crazy its gonna beat the crap out of your machines neighbor or not is she gonna pay to fix the machine it dont sound like she will. Weekly or bi weekly(Monday then next friday then skip a week then monday the next friday then ski[p a week) The best biweekly schedule you can go with. But you dont want longer then 10 or 11 days it grows to high. Or you raise your blades and cut it and then drop your blades and do it again. THAT sux but what can you do. Tell her you are to busy. Or that you dont do work for friend family or neighbors.

id like to tell her i dont do neighbors but 4 of my customers are neighbors. but i think i got the problem resoluved because she nows i am getting pissed and i just cut it today. and the cut today was a 8 day cut so i think she realizes i may drop her because i have been hinting at it and now she says ok fine just cut it.

HOOLIE
06-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Remember these key points:

1) It's your business. You started it. You make the rules and regulations.
2) As Rule #1 is in effect, you don't have to make excuses or come up with some sort of story to deal with a customer. You just tell them how it is.
3) You can still be a good guy to work with, AND call the shots. Within a short period of time, you'll have better clientele.
4) Don't worry about her being a neighbor and not liking you. You already don't like her.
5) When in doubt, refer to rule #1 :cool2:

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 12:36 PM

She wants your body

Tapr Lawn Care
06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Tell her that cutting a lawn when it is that long will ruin your mower. Equipment cost too much to go through that ware and tare. And that most companies would charge extra for cutting a lawn at that height. that's what I'd say anyway.