PDA

View Full Version : Darn Divots

rslawnscapes
06-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm having a heck of a time reducing/eliminating those awful divots caused by turning a zero turn too quickly.The scag manual suggests 3 point turns as a solution.I've tried that.I really try to feather it on all my turns but still have problems.I can't help but think weight plays a role as my walkbehind doesn't have as much of a problem.Any suggestions?Anyone else have success in this area?
Rippin it in vt

bohiaa
06-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Slow down, and dont let 1 tire stop while turning,,,, make one tire go frontwards, while the other go backwards, BUT SLOW.....

It will take a while to get the hang of it, and when it's wet, it's worse......

Keep going and it will become natural, I CANT make them anymore, and when I hire NEW help I cant understand how they make them....

Good LUCK AND SLOW DOWN

CFB
06-17-2008, 12:11 AM
I am fine on a z or a belt wb, but man my toro tbar is terrible about this. The hydro's are so jerky I stand no chance when it's wet.

rslawnscapes
06-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks.that's the key.I will chisel that on my forehead.

topsites
06-17-2008, 12:32 AM
awful divots caused by turning a zero turn too quickly.

Yeah you did just answer your own question lol

But I always carry a spare bag of seed in the truck anymore, whether it's left over from a job or if I run out I buy one, 50 pounds and sure it's not usually full... But whenever my mower or I leave a bare spot, I grab some seed and throw it down by the handful, it really helps patch things up. I also use it on my full service accounts to patch up most any bare spots regardless of reason, unless it's just a really big area, the customers seem to like that I do this.

And it does cost a bit, but it helps me slow down in ways ahaha

greenred
06-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah you did just answer your own question lol

But I always carry a spare bag of seed in the truck anymore, whether it's left over from a job or if I run out I buy one, 50 pounds and sure it's not usually full... But whenever my mower or I leave a bare spot, I grab some seed and throw it down by the handful, it really helps patch things up. I also use it on my full service accounts to patch up most any bare spots regardless of reason, unless it's just a really big area, the customers seem to like that I do this.

And it does cost a bit, but it helps me slow down in ways ahaha

I did basically the same thing but instead of just seed I kept that scotts product that is mulch/fertilizer/seed all in one to patch divots. The green color of the stuff helped not make the divot stand out so bad. It really worked well for me as the lawns I usually used it on where over watered and over fertilized so the grass grew back very quickly. That stuff is a little expensive but 1. it helped me perfect my ZTR operating technique so I did not ( for the most part lol) cause them in the first place and 2. it was a heck of a lot cheaper then losing an account over something so easy to fix.