PDA

View Full Version : When does the stupidity stop?

IN2MOWN
06-17-2008, 12:02 AM
So today I am on my way home from work when I notice a guy out with his kid. I assume he owns a company because he has a Great Dane Stander and I have seen a truck with a trailer in his driveway.

He has the kid, who is no more then 4 or so years old up on the top of the Stander near the controls sitting up there while he mows! Blades going and everything!

Now sometimes I will put my kid on the pedestal where you stand and take him up the driveway but there is no way in hell I would have him on top with the blades going.

One false move and that kid falls off in front of the mower and something terrible could happen.

When will people learn????? :hammerhead:

MileHigh
06-17-2008, 12:08 AM
He'll learn when he runs over his 4 year old..

CFB
06-17-2008, 12:08 AM
My neighbor does this every week on his dixon Z.

Chilehead
06-17-2008, 12:18 AM
He'll learn when he runs over his 4 year old..

Slice and dice, man! :drinkup:

greenred
06-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Then he sues and some jackoff jury finds great dane responsible and we get stuck with asinine safety features like having to pull the pto switch up while reversing and mowing on my John Deer LX279.

I swear it is only a matter of time before it happens to ZTR's. The next thing you know all the new models will have to have beepers that announce when the ZTR is reversing and/or they will make the reversing speed slow as a snail. I hope Im wrong.

doubleedge
06-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Then he sues and some jackoff jury finds great dane responsible and we get stuck with asinine safety features like having to pull the pto switch up while reversing and mowing on my John Deer LX279.

I swear it is only a matter of time before it happens to ZTR's. The next thing you know all the new models will have to have beepers that announce when the ZTR is reversing and/or they will make the reversing speed slow as a snail. I hope Im wrong.

I dont think they would be able to, as you have to pull back one stick to make a 0 degree turn

greenred
06-17-2008, 12:59 AM
I dont think they would be able to, as you have to pull back one stick to make a 0 degree turn

Well I meant anytime either side of the ZTR was put into reverse regardless of whether it is turning in its own radius or not.

I never dreamed they would put the asinine feature on my John Deer for reversing while mowing - but they did - in response to law suite/s. Never under estimate the lack of common sense when it comes to law suits, court mandated features, and cooperate knee jerk reactions to them.

I truly hope Im wrong but only time will tell.

ALC-GregH
06-17-2008, 01:03 AM
just by-pass the switch on the forward/reverse lever/pedal.

greenred
06-17-2008, 01:10 AM
just by-pass the switch on the forward/reverse lever/pedal.

Right now Im just using a cloths line pin to hold up the pto switch in the fully extended position.

What bothers me is that I should not have to do any such thing in the first place and why I have to do it. But there is not really much you can do about it other then *****.

DLCS
06-17-2008, 01:24 AM

Deere started putting the reverse safety switch on the garden tractors bacuse a doctor backed over his kid while mowing. The doctor was drinking while mowing too. He sued John Deere.:rolleyes: This is what a dealer told me several years ago.

jaybird24
06-17-2008, 01:31 AM
My daughter and I like to play a game called 'Maximum Overdrive'. We put the 21" proline in 3rd gear and tape the control lever for full speed. We then try to outrun the mower, good fun.

greenred
06-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Deere started putting the reverse safety switch on the garden tractors bacuse a doctor backed over his kid while mowing. The doctor was drinking while mowing too. He sued John Deere.:rolleyes: This is what a dealer told me several years ago.

This is the same thing I was told by my dealer too.

greenred
06-17-2008, 01:34 AM
My daughter and I like to play a game called 'Maximum Overdrive'. We put the 21" proline in 3rd gear and tape the control lever for full speed. We then try to outrun the mower, good fun.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lbilawncare
06-17-2008, 01:56 AM
4 years old, geez that kid should be running the mower himself by now. Why do parents feel they need to stand over their kids? Seriously though, that is pretty dangerous. I have driven my kids around on a ztr, but never w/ the blades going.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Every time I cut my grass my kids come running out and want to ride on the sulky with me. Nowhere near the blades, so I stick the earmuffs on 'em and they absolutely love it. I can't wait till I don't have to be on it with them. :D

bohiaa
06-17-2008, 03:13 AM
I cant help wondering how much childern cost these days, so far I have never had to pay for one,

however this guy 2 streets over is learning the price,

He wont keep his dogs inside his yard,
the children come off the bus trying to go home, dogs run after them they run into the street to avoid the dog and bam,

I really wish I had never seen that, so far it took a month to get any sleep.

mngrassguy
06-17-2008, 03:43 AM
I saw a man, wife and 4 year old out spraying their lawn today with weed control. The man carried the hand can while the child spayed. All three had bare feet, no gloves...Oh ya, and I took a pic. Sorry about the poor quality.

farmboy1285
06-17-2008, 05:25 AM
My neighbor caries around his 1 or 2 year old around in one of those backpack baby holders while he mows the yard. Its kind of funny really.

LawnBrother
06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
So today I am on my way home from work when I notice a guy out with his kid. I assume he owns a company because he has a Great Dane Stander and I have seen a truck with a trailer in his driveway.

He has the kid, who is no more then 4 or so years old up on the top of the Stander near the controls sitting up there while he mows! Blades going and everything!

Now sometimes I will put my kid on the pedestal where you stand and take him up the driveway but there is no way in hell I would have him on top with the blades going.

One false move and that kid falls off in front of the mower and something terrible could happen.

When will people learn????? :hammerhead:
They might never learn. It's just natural selection at work.

White Gardens
06-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Ah, I remember the days growing up on the farm, sitting on an open-air special on the fender. "hold on tight" my dad would say. It's amazing how thinking has changed in the last 20 years, you can't even ride in the back of a truck anymore.

Seriously though, one farmer around here had his kid on the tractor, and unfortunatly he fell off and was run over. I don't think I would ever take that chance with my son. Mowers are a lot smaller, but kill just the same.

Lawn-Sharks
06-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Wow thats crazy!

topsites
06-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Oh yeah I like playing that game with the 48" in 5th gear but it's only really fun when the blades are engaged and the mower gets away unintentionally LOL

Which on the note of safety features, on mine there's no electric clutch as the blades engage manually.
So long the blades are engaged, there exists an operator presence switch that a sheer moment of inattention shuts the whole machine down... It doesn't just disengage the blades because it can't, the whole machine shuts down.
I was always having to restart that engine, it's not that easy when a hot engine just shuts down from WoT like that.
Don't forget it's recoil start, but the absolute worst of it was that even with this supposed 'emergency shut down' it took time for everything to come to a grinding halt... In a true emergency I failed to see how in these seconds of time it would keep anyone from harming themselves or others, if by the time the blades are chomping say on someone's leg it's never no two seconds of lag lol.
Granted, in some instances it would be a blessing that at least it was on its way to stopping...
But more like 98% of the time the machine kept shutting down on me for reasons other than emergencies, usually I'd hit a bump or I wasn't paying 100% attention to how much grip I was exerting and ooops, shut down.
Man I hated that so much...
None of mine have this stupid switch anymore :p

johndeerboy26
06-17-2008, 10:21 AM
When I was about three and four years old my Dad would let me ride with him why he mowed and in kindergarten I was push mowing our front yard and even my Grandparents front yard in TN.

Grasshog
06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
He will stop when the law speaks with him.. To put your child in harms way is the bumest *&^ thing a man can do

KGR landscapeing
06-17-2008, 05:37 PM

haha well as long as its fun and hey with adrenaline it shouldnt catch you.
But ya back in the day we used to ride 6 kids on the IH farmall

GraZZmaZter
06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Who cares ... not your problem.

Look, learn, move forward.