PDA

View Full Version : Mowing banks along interstates

XterraJohn
06-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Has anyone seen how the mow the banks along the interstates here in Texas? Perhaps they do it the same way elsewhere. While I've seen the specially designed hill mowers on here before, the state guys here appear to be using stock John Deere 6000-series 4WD tractors with bushhogs on the back. I've seen them do it, and I still don't understand how they keep the tractors on 4 wheels. Do the wide mowers behind them help provide stability? Some of the hills look to be at least 20-30 degrees.

bohiaa
06-17-2008, 02:08 AM
bat wings,
In fact I have several bids in on this type of mowing,,

I used to live in the DFW area,

XterraJohn
06-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Do the bat wing mowers some how keep the tractor from tipping over?

yardmanlee
06-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Do the bat wing mowers some how keep the tractor from tipping over?

not really, it may help a little but most tractors have hitches that swivel, here we have slope mowers Deweez (sp) makes them they look like a dirtbike w/ a mowing deck under it and they work well 2 wheel drive and can mow close to a 30 degree bank

ncgrad00
06-17-2008, 08:02 AM
With a batwing you are more likely to slide down the hill than to tip over. I have lots of experience I live on a farm and spend most of the summer running the batwing up and down the road and in places we cant mow for hay.

D6c
06-19-2008, 07:46 AM
The batwing mower isn't going to give you any protection against rollover....you have to know your tractor and go slow. Things can get hairy quick if you hit an anthill on the high side and a gopher hole on the low side...

ncgrad00
06-19-2008, 07:55 AM
A 15 foot batwing off the back of a tractor is going to give you protection against roll over. The hydrolics that hold the batwing up also hold it down. You are going to have to be on a very steep hill to have one tip over. Like I said you will slide down the hill before you tip over.

SNAPPER MAN
06-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Ha the guys that do it im my area either use the big John Deere 4wd tractors or there are 8 guys out there swinging Stihl FS-250R's.