PDA

View Full Version : Why Quit

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Ive been reading several threds in the past 3 weeks about people wanting to sell or quit their business. One feller dropped half his accounts and was thinking of going to work at Home Depoit. Ive been working for the MAN for too many years to count and I dont understand why someone would give up on a successful business. I sold my business in So California in 1993, but the only reason I sold out was to move. I still miss it to this day. Now I find myself wanting to get back into it. Why would anyone want to quit running their own business and go work for the MAN?

JB1
06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Ive been reading several threds in the past 3 weeks about people wanting to sell or quit their business. One feller dropped half his accounts and was thinking of going to work at Home Depoit. Ive been working for the MAN for too many years to count and I dont understand why someone would give up on a successful business. I sold my business in So California in 1993, but the only reason I sold out was to move. I still miss it to this day. Now I find myself wanting to get back into it. Why would anyone want to quit running their own business and go work for the MAN?

who is this "MAN" you speak of.

LawnBrother
06-17-2008, 08:24 AM
It's just not for some people. Either you think it's worth making it work or you don't. I wouldn't keep doing something I hated, or didn't make enough money at. Sometimes an opportunity comes along that's too good to pass up. None have come my way yet hahahaha.

ProStreetCamaro
06-17-2008, 08:31 AM
I think some people might feel with the economy the way it is that they should sell and get out while there business is still worth something. They fear they will loose there customer base and then what would they have left? Alot of equipment and no customers.

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 08:34 AM

Corpporate America.............Im not against Corporate America I would just rather work for myself

Carolina Cuts
06-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I quit years back (16-24 years old)... went to work for corporate..... was promised "Never any layoffs", instead, they eliminated my position and offered me A) the door... or B) a lesser position making less money. THANKS! They found a loop hole to keep their promise.
I left.
Went to work for a Home Automation company installing high end home theaters, lighting, security in 5+million dollar homes. That was depressing for one... TWO, the owner out priced himself out of the market, lost tons of work to Best Buy and Circuity City... another lay off.... refusing to go on unemployment, I went to work for a landscaper... learned alot, but hated being a foreman for 'someone else' as he sat in the office all day and made alot of money. Got layed off at the end of the summer.... took my unemployment, packed up my sh*t and moved outta state.... tended bar on the ocean for a summer and thought about what I really wanted for myself... took some money, bought some equipment.... started over again. Been ditch diggin' and ridin' mowers for 3 years now... overall, I'm happy and making a living....

I suppose a part of me likes NOT knowing exactly how much money I'm gonna make at the end of the week.... could be $500..... could be $3000.... it's all up to me.... never really cared for... "Hey, it's friday, here's your check, the same as last week... spend it wisely"

Roger
06-17-2008, 09:10 AM
.... I dont understand why someone would give up on a successful business. ...

If "giving up" means selling, this may be the best thing to be done. Many folks have done well for themselves financially, as well as accepting the challenge of entrepreneurship, by selling their successful businesses. Sometimes keeping a successful business is the wrong thing to do. The owner may see a downturn in the future, and choose to sell while the business still has value.

Often the same thing is said on these threads, "... not wanting to work for somebody else." It is stated as if it is a bad thing to do. Many, many people have had very successful careers only working for somebody else.

Clearly, some people are not cut from the fabric of entrepreneurship, or business ownership. This Board is highly populated with these folks. In reading some of the posts about running a business, building a business, financing, marketing, legal, etc., they should be working for somebody else. They are destined to loose in the long run. That does not make them a bad person, it does not put them any lower than anybody else. That is just the landscape of the business world. I think the success rates of new business are about 2 of 10 in the first five years. That means that many who thought they wanted to be business owners were unable to make it happen for the long run.

White Gardens
06-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I quit years back (16-24 years old)... went to work for corporate..... was promised "Never any layoffs", instead, they eliminated my position and offered me A) the door... or B) a lesser position making less money. THANKS! They found a loop hole to keep their promise.
I left.
Went to work for a Home Automation company installing high end home theaters, lighting, security in 5+million dollar homes. That was depressing for one... TWO, the owner out priced himself out of the market, lost tons of work to Best Buy and Circuity City... another lay off.... refusing to go on unemployment, I went to work for a landscaper... learned alot, but hated being a foreman for 'someone else' as he sat in the office all day and made alot of money. Got layed off at the end of the summer.... took my unemployment, packed up my sh*t and moved outta state.... tended bar on the ocean for a summer and thought about what I really wanted for myself... took some money, bought some equipment.... started over again. Been ditch diggin' and ridin' mowers for 3 years now... overall, I'm happy and making a living....

I suppose a part of me likes NOT knowing exactly how much money I'm gonna make at the end of the week.... could be $500..... could be $3000.... it's all up to me.... never really cared for... "Hey, it's friday, here's your check, the same as last week... spend it wisely"

I hear you, I thought about working for someone else but then I realized that I would be putting my faith of labor into the hands of a company that might not be around in 10 years.

It used to be that you could get a good job, benifits and all, and you had the security of knowing that you couldn't get canned or layed off. Now, it seems like every company is down-sizing, or making it that all new worker are labled as part-time in order not to pay them benifits. Nothing like working 38 hours a week and being called part-time.

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=Roger;2377961]If "giving up" means selling, this may be the best thing to be done. Many folks have done well for themselves financially, as well as accepting the challenge of entrepreneurship, by selling their successful businesses. Sometimes keeping a successful business is the wrong thing to do. The owner may see a downturn in the future, and choose to sell while the business still has value.

Often the same thing is said on these threads, "... not wanting to work for somebody else." It is stated as if it is a bad thing to do. Many, many people have had very successful careers only working for somebody else.

Clearly, some people are not cut from the fabric of entrepreneurship, or business ownership. This Board is highly populated with these folks. In reading some of the posts about running a business, building a business, financing, marketing, legal, etc., they should be working for somebody else. They are destined to loose in the long run. That does not make them a bad person, it does not put them any lower than anybody else. That is just the landscape of the business world. I think the success rates of new business are about 2 of 10 in the first five years. That means that many who thought they wanted to be business owners were unable to make it happen for the long run.[/QUOTE

Sure not everyone is cut out to run their own business, but Ive seen several threds of sucessful businesses wanting to quit, I understand if you dont like the business, however where can they go and make decient money. Even a LOWBALLER can make better money then one could cver make at Home DEpoit

KGR landscapeing
06-17-2008, 09:27 AM
mentally this is a tough job. when your not busting your butt cutting grass building things cleaning up properties. to keep your head above the water in this feild is a challange. other companys cut your prices customers wont always pay up. your guys need more money you need more money because your over head is an ever climbing hill these days. Customers drive me nuts boss's drive me nuts if dying was an option id be in a box in the ground by now. And hey i lose alot of sleep if a job at home cheapo would get me to a place where i could live normaly and enjoy my family and friends ido go there too. i havent lookd yet but it might be something that ill do in the near future.

topsites
06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Supply and demand, in this case we have an overabundance of supply and not enough demand, and this trend will likely continue for some time, maybe years... This is a part of how the equation likes to balance itself out, much like every other boom-bust this business has its ups and downs, too. As far as I'm concerned there was a time the money was good, and the problem is everyone saw that and of course everybody and their brother got into it, so now you've got a scaper on every corner and the customers know it, too.

Some of us hang in there, others as likely feel it's not worth it, so I'm guessing it's just about that time.

jim163
06-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I want to sell half of my accounts because I'm behind in my sidework. Everyone knows the money isn't in cutting lawns.

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
mentally this is a tough job. when your not busting your butt cutting grass building things cleaning up properties. to keep your head above the water in this feild is a challange. other companys cut your prices customers wont always pay up. your guys need more money you need more money because your over head is an ever climbing hill these days. Customers drive me nuts boss's drive me nuts if dying was an option id be in a box in the ground by now. And hey i lose alot of sleep if a job at home cheapo would get me to a place where i could live normaly and enjoy my family and friends ido go there too. i havent lookd yet but it might be something that ill do in the near future.

I have respect fpr people who work at Home Depoit. But heres the deal, at Home Depoit your gonna make about 10$ I can Lowball 4 houses at 25$ and be done in 3 hours and make more money or do 10 houses and make triple money. If your business is keeping you up at night ......... rearrange ir... mabey think of cutting back and go SOLO.

Charles
06-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I have respect fpr people who work at Home Depoit. But heres the deal, at Home Depoit your gonna make about 10$ I can Lowball 4 houses at 25$ and be done in 3 hours and make more money or do 10 houses and make triple money. If your business is keeping you up at night ......... rearrange ir... mabey think of cutting back and go SOLO.

When Home Depot was booming during the housing boom, employees were getting wealthy on the HD stock plan. Many managers were worth millions. HD was just giving away stock like candy.
Like I said before, hard to be in a business that depends on the weather. Hard to imagine what its like unless you live in a drought prone area. Water restrictions. High temp days in a row that kill grass despite rain and watering. Many of us in this type situation keep plugging away, but it does make you dream of a more stable business.
Of course working for someone else has its risk too. Best thing for kids of today to do is get a good education in something you love doing and that there is a demand for. Education expands your options.

topsites
06-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Too many guys getting in fail to see or fail to realize the true cost of doing business.
It's not just gas + license + insurance + taxes + truck + Trailer + all the equipment.
That's just a summary, what about safety supplies, goggles and first aid kits and what have you?
Oh yeah I'll just shrug it off, a First Aid kit runs 50 bucks for a decent one.

There's maintenance cost, both in terms of parts AND labor (more failure here, I know myself I used to think since I didn't have to take it to the shop that I was saving all that money and then promptly forgot to pay myself). Bank deposits, paperwork, all of this takes time, estimates...

Then come tax time I have to pay double social security, and unemployment too, there's two extra taxes that apply only to a business. So not only do I spend more time doing more complicated tax paperwork, but I wouldn't pay these two extras when working for someone else... Heck if by the time one gets health and medical and life insurance I would be surprised if there's ANY money left to pay myself.

I still don't see how, after it's all said and done, I can come even close to earning what guys working for someone else get paid, but then I've said it before and I'll say it again: If someone's thinking of getting in this business strictly because of the money, prepare to be disappointed and better off working for someone else.

Because four times $25 might be $100 but it's not all take home, maybe 5 or 10 dollars of that is, after considering all of the costs... And we can disagree but remember you're the one who lowballed it, there's not any profit in it and I'm even more surprised anyone can make ends meet like this.
Granted, after taxes Lowe's $10 / hour isn't all take home either, but then I haven't even got to the tax part yet.

The reason I do what I do is because of the benefits, lets just say I'm not getting started on these politics.

WHIPPLE5.7
06-17-2008, 11:21 AM
That was me talking about going part time at Home Depot and the reason I phased out 1/2 my customers is because they were total pitas, to far off my servicable route, had dogs that tried to bite, didn't clean up dog crap ever, never paid, etc. I wasn't dead set on Home Depot though. Now I'm looking into a job in the early morning unloading the UPS plain and sorting packages. $15 an hour plus health care and retirement plan. I could easily maintain my customers and work there. In the future I plan on doing power raking, aerating, hydroseeding, and thats about it. This mowing bs sucks. Way too many guys cutting the prices low. I know those loosers will never have to power rakes, aerators, and hydroseeders so I can stay plenty high on that end of it. Why not make $25,000 from March 15 to May 1 doing preps and renovations and then work part time the rest of the year?

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Too many guys getting in fail to see or fail to realize the true cost of doing business.
It's not just gas + license + insurance + taxes + truck + Trailer + all the equipment.
That's just a summary, what about safety supplies, goggles and first aid kits and what have you?
Oh yeah I'll just shrug it off, a First Aid kit runs 50 bucks for a decent one.

There's maintenance cost, both in terms of parts AND labor (more failure here, I know myself I used to think since I didn't have to take it to the shop that I was saving all that money and then promptly forgot to pay myself). Bank deposits, paperwork, all of this takes time, estimates...

Then come tax time I have to pay double social security, and unemployment too, there's two extra taxes that apply only to a business. So not only do I spend more time doing more complicated tax paperwork, but I wouldn't pay these two extras when working for someone else... Heck if by the time one gets health and medical and life insurance I would be surprised if there's ANY money left to pay myself.

I still don't see how, after it's all said and done, I can come even close to earning what guys working for someone else get paid, but then I've said it before and I'll say it again: If someone's thinking of getting in this business strictly because of the money, prepare to be disappointed and better off working for someone else.

Because four times $25 might be $100 but it's not all take home, maybe 5 or 10 dollars of that is, after considering all of the costs... And we can disagree but remember you're the one who lowballed it, there's not any profit in it and I'm even more surprised anyone can make ends meet like this.
Granted, after taxes Lowe's $10 / hour isn't all take home either, but then I haven't even got to the tax part yet.

The reason I do what I do is because of the benefits, lets just say I'm not getting started on these politics.

Topsites how you been doing?
My lowballing was an example and I dont do it or recomend it. I realize all the ins and outs of this business. I was jsut stating why sell off a successful business to go to work for someone else.
I know we have rained out days, and droubt, but we also have days we cut 15 lawns at 50$ and thats close to 2 weeks pay at Lowes.
t me theres nothing like being self employed, sure you have 60 bosses, but no single one can make or break you.

Charles
06-17-2008, 02:27 PM
That was me talking about going part time at Home Depot and the reason I phased out 1/2 my customers is because they were total pitas, to far off my servicable route, had dogs that tried to bite, didn't clean up dog crap ever, never paid, etc. I wasn't dead set on Home Depot though. Now I'm looking into a job in the early morning unloading the UPS plain and sorting packages. $15 an hour plus health care and retirement plan. I could easily maintain my customers and work there. In the future I plan on doing power raking, aerating, hydroseeding, and thats about it. This mowing bs sucks. Way too many guys cutting the prices low. I know those loosers will never have to power rakes, aerators, and hydroseeders so I can stay plenty high on that end of it. Why not make $25,000 from March 15 to May 1 doing preps and renovations and then work part time the rest of the year?

UPS loader? May as well join the Marines:dizzy: They will put you in the back of a 130 degree trailer where you will dream of the lawncare biz good ol days:laugh:

CRM Lawncare
06-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Why do people sell businesses? That's how you make the real money. Build a business sell it, build another sell it, etc... It makes millionares out of people. Just ask my early 50's retired father-in-law hanging out at his beach house right now.

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 02:48 PM

UPS would be good, however I still think you can make alot more than 15$ per hour, even dealing with the lowballers. I like your second idea, I too have purchased a bunch of different equiptment. Im trying to become a rental yerd on wheels so to speaak. I just say hang in there if you can get 30 good accounts and do the othe side jobs you will have a nice business.

k911lowe
06-17-2008, 03:23 PM

its called lazy.

TXNSLighting
06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Well just sold mine, and i really didnt quit, i just hate mowing and didnt want to do it anymore. Ive got a nice landscape company and lighting company still affloat that make so much more money! No brainer..

TXNSLighting
06-17-2008, 03:31 PM

whats depoit?

Grasshog
06-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I cut my buisness back just so I would have more time for life... During my 20 and early 30's I never had time.. Always running and doing.. Now I'm semi-ret. Love it to.. I banked it when I was young so I can spend it now.

Toy2
06-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I had to get out, drought hit and accounts dropped like flies, did some handyman stuff for some of my customers, but once I started to dip into the savings, wife said enough.......got a goverment job/no layoff and could not be happier, ton of comp time instead of OT, sitting on 4 weeks of vacation,sick,holiday................................ home all day with pay to see the Doctor at 3pm today..getting fat........mowed this morning for some gas/tool money.......

Once the Mexicans learn to take the Texas test on sprinklers.....the bottom will drop out of the local sprinker guys around here.....that's a promise!!!!

Its sad...

HOOLIE
06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
A lot of guys have job skills to fall back on, not everyone is destined to end up at Home Depot.

I'm sure the reasons for getting out are as varied as the reasons for getting in. If your only desire is to not work for someone else, then you'll likely always be happy running your own business.

There are pros and cons to being self-employed as there are for being employed by someone else. It all just depends on what you want out of life, and over time your priorities might change.

IF I were to ever get out, it would likely be to have more family time and not be working all sorts of weird hours/days 9 months of the year. But, at the same time I would need a job that could replace the income I get from the business.

ATL Lawn
06-18-2008, 04:17 PM

i'm the MAN.. from what i over hear my guys say..

ed2hess
06-18-2008, 10:48 PM
After a few weeks at 100F almost any other job might look pretty darn nice. I liked working for the MAN. I had AC a nice office a nice place to eat and since most of the people only worked 50% of the time it was easy for me to work my way up. Now running a big scag that is throwing dust all over me all day just isn't much fun.

topsites
06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
After a few weeks at 100F almost any other job might look pretty darn nice. I liked working for the MAN. I had AC a nice office a nice place to eat and since most of the people only worked 50% of the time it was easy for me to work my way up. Now running a big scag that is throwing dust all over me all day just isn't much fun.

But there's no politics, none of this for instance:

I left.

See that garbage used to make me sick, and I mean sick like in the head.
That doesn't even touch the surface of the large reserves of BS in the corporate world, but what ails me isn't the BS per se but the fact I am supposed to believe it as truth or else... When so much of it is strictly political folklore, manufactured horse crap, self-made manure and pro-created garbage...

How many times have I had a manager tell me a fat lie to my face, all the while smiling and nodding their head up and down with a grin on their face... As if to say "see it is true, I believe it and now so will you..." But the worst of it is they forgot I overheard the supervisor telling the manager those very words I am now hearing, and not three days before this happened the manager and I had a conversation about this very issue and we were strongly against it... So what happened, why the sudden turn of belief?
No explanation, the choice is believe the lie or go look elsewhere for a job.

People, the workers themselves create this political atmosphere of BS, likely and mostly for the reason of competition, that is to advance but not necessarily in a fair manner... In that world folks will step on anyone they feel the need to, explain it away with some rule about "I'm sorry but it appears you were no longer meeting our requirements" and it just never ends...

In that world working hard doesn't pay, it's who you know and mastering the art of brown nosing and paper shredding and just about every other ill conceived notion of how it works is present in the corporate world. Because the simple fact is, once you're out of the way someone else is ready to take your place, and I mean ready and they feel GOOD about it, they think their advancement was justly deserved (and maybe it was, but it happened at someone else's expense).

I've watched good men work their tail to the core for a single corporation for 40 years and all the time believing in that golden retirement rainbow... And you know what happened, right?
Yup.

This happens to workers the world over, time and time again.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

If we could run our cars on corporate BS we would have free fuel forever.
But the money is better, no argument there.

ed2hess
06-18-2008, 11:16 PM
But there's no politics, none of this for instance:

See that garbage used to make me sick, and I mean sick like in the head.
That doesn't even touch the surface of the large reserves of BS in the corporate world, but what ails me isn't the BS per se but the fact I am supposed to believe it as truth or else... When so much of it is strictly political folklore, manufactured horse crap, self-made manure and pro-created garbage...

How many times have I had a manager tell me a fat lie to my face, all the while smiling and nodding their head up and down with a grin on their face... As if to say "see it is true, I believe it and now so will you..." But the worst of it is they forgot I overheard the supervisor telling the manager those very words I am now hearing, and not three days before this happened the manager and I had a conversation about this very issue and we were strongly against it... So what happened, why the sudden turn of belief?
No explanation, the choice is believe the lie or go look elsewhere for a job.

People, the workers themselves create this political atmosphere of BS, likely and mostly for the reason of competition, that is to advance but not necessarily in a fair manner... In that world folks will step on anyone they feel the need to, explain it away with some rule about "I'm sorry but it appears you were no longer meeting our requirements" and it just never ends...

In that world working hard doesn't pay, it's who you know and mastering the art of brown nosing and paper shredding and just about every other ill conceived notion of how it works is present in the corporate world. Because the simple fact is, once you're out of the way someone else is ready to take your place, and I mean ready and they feel GOOD about it, they think their advancement was justly deserved (and maybe it was, but it happened at someone else's expense).

I've watched good men work their tail to the core for a single corporation for 40 years and all the time believing in that golden retirement rainbow... And you know what happened, right?
Yup.

This happens to workers the world over, time and time again.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

If we could run our cars on corporate BS we would have free fuel forever.
But the money is better, no argument there.

Sorry Tops we agree to disagree....you had a bad experience and I had a very good one. And I can assure you that since I was a technical manager I knew exactly who was doing the work and they got the biggest raises on merit not sucking up. And I had a lot of guys just like you

larryinalabama
06-19-2008, 07:49 AM
I have to agree with Topsites............. No matter how much money you make the MAN, your job is alaways in jepordy.

Carolina Cuts
06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
When so much of it is strictly political folklore, manufactured horse crap, self-made manure and pro-created garbage...

now don't hold back... tell us how you really feel???? :laugh::laugh::laugh: