PDA

View Full Version : Damn hackers!

dlomb72
06-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I just bid a job for a customer that moved into an affluent community. I have been taking care of this customer's property for about 10 years at his prior location and tried to bid it as fairly as possible. His new property breaks down like this:
Lawn area: 21,500 sq ft
Bed area: 3300 sq ft

I bid the weekly maint. @ $65 per cut and told him I would keep the beds weed free for $40 per month.

This is the best part! The guy who was taking care of the yard up to this point told him he would stay the same on his price of $41 dollars per cut! Am I really that high with my prices? Is this guy even making money for his service? Somebody please talk me off the ledge here!!!!:hammerhead:

Carolina Cuts
06-17-2008, 08:56 AM
yes, he is making money.... not alot or what he could be... but he's making money... or else he wouldn't be doing it.

dlomb72
06-17-2008, 08:58 AM
I failed to mention that all clippings are collected and hauled away from the site.

dlomb72
06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
are my prices that far out of whack?

topsites
06-17-2008, 09:22 AM
The question I have is this...

If the customer already has someone doing it, and in this case at such a good price...
Why call around, why get more estimates?

btw I would do it for 40 but I don't bag.
And in the meantime they can keep the $41 guy,
time to say thank you and have a nice day.

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
75$ per week........Im thinking 1 hour worth of work..............I would have bid it at 50-60

ALC-GregH
06-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Thats what I'm thinking, 1 hr. 50-60 total weekly.

jsf343
06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I guess everybody has their prices, but I think you are easily in line with your price. The only thing I didn't read if you are solo or not. I know for myself I wouldn't do it as cheap as everybody else says but that's me, and if I lose the business to a scrub then I guess I lose. We do city yards (5,000 to 10,000 sq. feet) for $35-45.00. Like I said though that's us, maybe it is a bit lower in your area. Funny how we as an industry were doing the same yards for close to the same price 10 even 20 years ago, and unfortunately we will likely still be doing them for the same price 10 to 20 years form now because of guys like him that "just want the business at any cost" I think that if you have a good reputation, do good work, are dependable, accessible, and treat your customer fairly he/she will stay with you most of the time, or if they do leave, they may come back after seeing the grass isn't greener on the other side.

larryinalabama
06-17-2008, 10:35 AM
I guess everybody has their prices, but I think you are easily in line with your price. The only thing I didn't read if you are solo or not. I know for myself I wouldn't do it as cheap as everybody else says but that's me, and if I lose the business to a scrub then I guess I lose. We do city yards (5,000 to 10,000 sq. feet) for $35-45.00. Like I said though that's us, maybe it is a bit lower in your area. Funny how we as an industry were doing the same yards for close to the same price 10 even 20 years ago, and unfortunately we will likely still be doing them for the same price 10 to 20 years form now because of guys like him that "just want the business at any cost" I think that if you have a good reputation, do good work, are dependable, accessible, and treat your customer fairly he/she will stay with you most of the time, or if they do leave, they may come back after seeing the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Hey Im all for making money if I could get 75$ per week that would be great.

However if he bid 75$ and the other feller bid 40, dicussion is over. If you bid 55$ you have a little wiggle room over the flower beds and might be able to negoate a deal. If you need 75$ per hour just move on to the next house

jsf343
06-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey Im all for making money if I could get 75$ per week that would be great.

However if he bid 75$ and the other feller bid 40, dicussion is over. If you bid 55$ you have a little wiggle room over the flower beds and might be able to negoate a deal. If you need 75$ per hour just move on to the next house

I was going to mention the same thought Larry but had to get out the door.

I agree there has to be a little room to negotiate. It is really hard to give the perfect price or advice because we only know what you have wrote about to start the thread, all kinds of variables that may affect the price.

dlomb72
06-17-2008, 07:16 PM
We are a crew of two. After hearing the other guys price I told him that I would include taking care of the beds into the $65 dollar per week price. Everybody else is paying $5 dollars a gallon for diesel, $700 per year in workmens comp ins, $800 in liability ins, and $900 in truck and trailer insurance, right? Not to mention $500 per year just to be in business in the state of RI (LLC fees a.k.a. BS fee!)
I was cutting this guy's 6,000 sq foot lot for $30 per week! I guess the smaller yards are where it is at!