PDA

View Full Version : Door knockers

aaacrown
06-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Has anyone had good luck on door knockers. What is the best advertisement that has been the most successful

Lawn-Sharks
06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Door knocking is considered soliciting work that's a no no and you need a permit for that! You can put do hanger on doors that's considered advertisement! Good luck and check local laws.

k911lowe
06-17-2008, 03:42 PM
phone book

Lawn-Sharks
06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
If you cant afford a picture w/ your number in the phone book then i wouldnt advertise in the phone book. I have got more work from word of mouth and my website then any other method. And my website was cheaper then an ad in the phone book. But every one has their own luck with things! Good luck.

mowerbrad
06-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Word of mouth is the best advertisement out there.

Honey Do Property Mgmt.
06-17-2008, 10:51 PM
4 to a page fliers from kinkos. 10 cents per sheet. 18 accounts this year and few scragglers here and there

MowHouston
06-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Word of mouth is the best advertisement out there.

This is the most overstated and overused comment when these new guys ask this question. :hammerhead:

Word of mouth is only the best when you have a name for yourself and secondly, its only good because it is free.

It doesn't help you get started and it doesn't bring you the volume of customers that a new lawn company needs.

So, yes, its good, its free, but no, you arent going to get 30 customers from word of mouth this year.

Dont waste (and money) your time with the phone book.

Now then... The general consensus is that doorhangers / postcards are the best advertising. From a marketing standpoint you generally have a 1% conversion rate (you hand out 100, you get 1 customer) GENERALLY, not saying it is a fact. That statistic can fluctuate depending on the quality of your advertising. You go off and print some crap off on your printer that is out of yellow ink and dont expect much.

Order something online, get it professionally done and you'll get a good response. Its a lot of hard work and I dont do it, simply because Houston has a better market for online advertising. But the small town guys have the best option with hanging door hangers / postcards.

Also, it couldnt hurt to do some free advertising and go to http://beaumont.craigslist.org/ and post once a day to see what kind of response there. Make sure to list your minimum price to ward off any low paying customers.

Good luck

bohiaa
06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
This is the most overstated and overused comment when these new guys ask this question. :hammerhead:

Word of mouth is only the best when you have a name for yourself and secondly, its only good because it is free.

It doesn't help you get started and it doesn't bring you the volume of customers that a new lawn company needs.

So, yes, its good, its free, but no, you arent going to get 30 customers from word of mouth this year.

Now then... The general consensus is that doorhangers / postcards are the best advertising. From a marketing standpoint you generally have a 1% conversion rate (you hand out 100, you get 1 customer) GENERALLY, not saying it is a fact. That statistic can fluctuate depending on the quality of your advertising. You go off and print some crap off on your printer that is out of yellow ink and dont expect much.

Order something online, get it professionally done and you'll get a good response. Its a lot of hard work and I dont do it, simply because Houston has a better market for online advertising. But the small town guys have the best option with hanging door hangers / postcards.

Also, it couldnt hurt to do some free advertising and go to http://beaumont.craigslist.org/ and post once a day to see what kind of response there. Make sure to list your minimum price to ward off any low paying customers.

Good luck

GREAT POINT....

however I would NEVER advertise on Craigs list......

MowHouston
06-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I wouldnt either if I was way out in Bellville :)

RhettMan
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
GREAT POINT....

however I would NEVER advertise on Craigs list......

why would you not take advantage of craigslist?

JFF
06-25-2008, 05:45 PM

Good luck

Excellent response. I would only add that it has been my experience that the responses to my postcards have increased as people have become more familliar with my company name. I have had far more responses this year than last year mailing to the same neighborhoods.

topsites
06-25-2008, 11:51 PM
I agree, for a new business word of mouth is probably one of the worst forms of advertising you'll face. At least for me it was, seems like everyone kept shoving that crap down my throat like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread... And all for a good reason: If I relied on it, then they 'had' me where they wanted me.

Sure thing, if customers have this much control they will command pricing among other things.

The anger from that realization lasted a long time...
Years...

Word of mouth does work.
But not until at least my 5th but really 6th or 7th year did that stuff start working for me.
That's not to say it will take 5-7 years in anyone else's case, it's just how long it took for me.
Now I'm almost 100% word of mouth, the sick of it is I spend a fortune on advertising to make SURE I never get caught up in that 'free' advertising fiasco ever again.

So I agree...
At least in the first few years if you rely on word of mouth alone they will buttrape you.
Especially if you really need the work.

why would you not take advantage of craigslist?

Free advertising.
Translation: You're either cheap, or desperate (and maybe both).
The problem with advertising is, customers 'read' through it, don't ask me how or why but that's what they do.
Not just lawn customers, any customers.
And not always, but where that ad is placed makes that kind of a difference.

That, in a nutshell is why word of mouth isn't so hot for the first few years either, at least in my opinion.

Doorhangers would be my recommendation.

BG3246
06-27-2008, 12:03 AM
I am a small lco and have a property that is too big for me I would like to send your way.

Ben
832 876 4936

mbrooks17
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Wheres the best place to get quality postcards done online for the best price?

RhettMan
06-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Wheres the best place to get quality postcards done online for the best price?

try www.nextdayflyers.com

coopmaster
06-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Getting customers is not the problem. Getting good customers is more of the issue.

RLLServicesCT
06-30-2008, 12:55 AM
I started my service going door to door, and hey, if someone doesn't open it go next door. Mow that lawn and when the person who wouldn't open their door sees the job you did, you get them too. I've gotten most of my business door to door, and word of mouth goes along with that and a long way. Good luck.

MowHouston
06-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Free advertising.
Translation: You're either cheap, or desperate (and maybe both).
The problem with advertising is, customers 'read' through it, don't ask me how or why but that's what they do.
Not just lawn customers, any customers.
And not always, but where that ad is placed makes that kind of a difference.

That, in a nutshell is why word of mouth isn't so hot for the first few years either, at least in my opinion.

Doorhangers would be my recommendation.

Free Advertising = Extra opportunity. I spend $300-$500/mo on Google advertising and I still post on Craigslist three times a day. I'm not cheap.

Craigslist delivers. Sure there's the tirekickers and cheapskates, but gas is $4.00 a gallon man. I get cheapskates from calls off of my truck decals. Everyone is looking for a deal.

So how do I get around the cheapskates on craigslist? My website buffers them out. I have a link that says "Bi-weekly Service" they click on it and it tells them we dont do Bi-weekly Service during the summer. Its that easy.

Not to say that bi-weeklys arent good customers. I'm just tired of dealing with those crazy schedules.

Anyhow, off topic there a bit.

Last point, craigslist often makes the first page of google searches. With companies paying SEO gurus $1000's a year to get ranked on google's first page of their keywords, I'd say thats far from cheap advertising.

I always know when my craigslist ad hits google's first page. Like when I came home and had 17 new voicemails on the office phone and 8 estimate requests in my email. :D