PDA

View Full Version : dealing with the heat

Pro-Scapes
06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
How many of you guys split your work day up to deal with the heat ? I worked for about 5 hours this morning and started getting dizzy (98f heat index with 50% plus humidity)

I decided around 1pm it was time for a break and came home. I will return to work about 4pm until probably 9pm.

k911lowe
06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
we start at daybreak and usually end before 2 pm when it gets about 113 % already and its not even summer yet.

Pro-Scapes
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
yeah I know the drill with the desert heat since I lived in vegas for 7 yrs but I could take that 120 dry heat over this humidity crap anyday. Its when your clothes get wet and your body doesnt breath that it gets bad.

At least in the desert you sweat but stay fairly dry. Ask any of the South east boys. It gets downright nasty down here.

k911lowe
06-17-2008, 04:11 PM
yeah I know the drill with the desert heat since I lived in vegas for 7 yrs but I could take that 120 dry heat over this humidity crap anyday. Its when your clothes get wet and your body doesnt breath that it gets bad.

At least in the desert you sweat but stay fairly dry. Ask any of the South east boys. It gets downright nasty down here.

if you don't think we have humidity you haven't been here in july or august.dry heat my ass(donkey)we wear t shirts to absorb the sweat and long sleeve buttoned in the middle only so the breeze will cool you off.i have been here since 1975 and been to vegas many times.you have no idea what hot is.

Lawn-Sharks
06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I start mowing at 7am and work till im finished which sometimes is till 8pm, drink plenty of water & keep a sweat rag with you because i dont want to come back later and finish nothing!

TXNSLighting
06-17-2008, 04:22 PM
I start earlier, but still work straight trough. altho im home right now...i just try not to think about it as best i can. the days go by so fast now, so that its time to go home before i know it.

Lite4
06-17-2008, 04:22 PM
We are 92 here today. Fortunately I am sitting at home getting 3 bids done in the A/C. AAAHHHHH. Tomorrow is a different story entirely. Back to losing fluids again. I try to just gut it out and finish the whole day. Most days I am out from 7-6 and sometimes until dark if I have an adjustment or demo to do. Heck it isn't even getting dark enough to see my lights until 10:30 right now. Sucks living on the edge of a time zone.

Chris J
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Ah, the heat. When I was younger and in better shape I would press on no matter the temp. These days, If we can't be done by 3PM, then I'll come back the next day to start burying the wire early in the AM. I would probably still just keep going, but my employee had to be hauled home due to heat stroke twice last year and once the year before. I don't think I'd go back at 4PM as that's the hottest part of the day.

Marcos
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I try to start at about daybreak each day and come home for lunch, and to check up on the kids who are off school, and usually hanging around the house, more often than not, during the summer.
I'll stay there and chill out for the worst 'heat' of the day, maybe 2 hours or so.
Then I'll go back out after cooling off for a while and typically work 'till about 7 or 7:30.
(Kind of like a Mexican schedule...come to think of it !!)

I sure wish more mowing contractors around here would adopt some type of summer 'beat the heat' daytime schedule like this...which would take them and their equipment off the lawns during the HOTTEST PART of the day.

That...as well as stop stabbing themselves and others in this industry in the back every year... by the practice of lowering the height of the blades once the turf begins to get a little "summer stressed" and slows down.
These folks are honestly just looking to do "billing runs" at this point, and no doubt feel guilty if they, their crews, and / or the CUSTOMERS don't actually see much of anything coming out of the discharge chutes !!!

Running ZTRs and heavy walk behinds around on lawns infected with an active case of brown patch....

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/brnptch.htm

...can serve to spread the disease around on the turf, just the same way a knife spreads peanut butter over bread !!

By the end of July, early August around here, on non-irrigated fescue lawns primarily, alot of lawns are 'patched out' so bad by mowing equipment that the homeowners think their lawn's DRY, even if it ISN'T !!

Lowering the blade height in order to do a "billing run", typically on non-irrigated turf, is the result of the foreman / crew leader / business owner being ignorant of the long-term ramifications of this action.

As a matter of fact...many of them are too stupid (or more accurately, maybe, naive) :hammerhead: to realize that by mowing at the wrong times and/or the wrong height, they're possibly damaging the chances of the lawn bouncing back to do future cuts in later summer...should conditions improve quickly and dramatically.

springgreen
06-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Anyone else experiencing these? I can go outside for as little as 20 mins. and I can tell my blood pressure rises, and my head starts pounding and it doesn't let up for several days. I am otherwise a healthy 40 something female and have never had issues of high blood pressure. Anybody found cures for this besides Advil or Tylenol? Thanks!*trucewhiteflag*

Marcos
06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Anyone else experiencing these? I can go outside for as little as 20 mins. and I can tell my blood pressure rises, and my head starts pounding and it doesn't let up for several days. I am otherwise a healthy 40 something female and have never had issues of high blood pressure. Anybody found cures for this besides Advil or Tylenol? Thanks!*trucewhiteflag*

Many women take one look at me...(a 40 something male:rolleyes:)...and their heart starts pounding and doesn't let up for several days !
;) :dizzy: :weightlifter: :cry: :clapping:

All kidding and b.s. aside...You sound like a poster child for allergy problems !!
Go tell your doc that you're working outdoors...and maybe have him test you for various outdoor allergens

JoeyD
06-17-2008, 07:25 PM
the heat is terrible...during my work day when it gets hot I walk over to the A/C button and flip it to ON.

I know, I'm a sissy working in the office!

springgreen
06-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks there Marcos- ha, ha, cute come back. One can check my eye lids to forecast the pollen count...lol. To measure the amt. of time I've spent outside, I will be like a drooping flower for anything more than 20 mins. I'm hoping this means that I will one day, soon... I'll be transplanted to a cooler climate, where I would love to be.:canadaflag: Kuddos

Mark B
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I will come home about 12ish as well. I will go back out in the afternoons. I take 1-3 big bottles of gatorade with me as well.

springgreen
06-17-2008, 08:11 PM
JoeyD- naaaah- no sissy about it, heat exhaustion or stroke is no fun. I one time when I could not find a decent desk job, I had to work for Walmart, where they keep it warm 24/7, 1 of the largest company in America, go figure. I was working in my dept. going up and down on the ladder, it being much warmer...everytime I ascended to the top. After 2 hrs. of working and lifting, etc. I started feeling lethargic, and again, the ole pounding headache. I recognised my smptoms, and like the 3rd grader I was as a 40 yr old employee there...had to go to the store mgr. to get "permission" to go home. I was useless the rest of the evening and of course I lost pay, pay I really needed.Thank God He gave me this great office job, and going outside is limited. Again I say, Amen!

The Lighting Geek
06-17-2008, 11:14 PM
we start out of the office at 6:30 am with cotton shirts, lifeguard straw hats, and 5 gallons of cold gatorade at half strength. I make the crew drink through out the day. The crew trailer has a bathroom in it. We quit at 3:30 pm. The trucks have remote starters and they have air set to high so the truck is cooled off when they get in. It is 97 and 40% humidity here in Sacramento today. We get to 110 and 40-60% in july and august.

Mike M
06-17-2008, 11:35 PM
When I first moved south, I wore my boots for a year to do landscaping, now I throw safety to the wind and wear below-ankle boat shoes with no socks. My feet are green.

Chris J
06-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Who needs a bathroom? I drink water and Propel like it's going out of syle during the day, and I sweat so much I don't have to go till I'm back home for a couple of hours.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-18-2008, 12:36 AM
Our heat and humidity issues are easily solved... we just go for a swim! Throughout July and August I usually have a swim at lunch and then again at 3pm or so. Its something we actually look forward to.

As for hours.... Well yesterday I started at 7am, and laid my head to 'rest' at 4:20am. Today I started at 7am, it is 11:30pm now, and I have about 2 hours of billing to do and three systems to quote at some point! Tommorow start at 7am, install until 6pm, then off to another install to finish by 9pm, aim and tweak, home by midnight....

You lawn jockey's have it pretty easy I would say! I don't know ANY other trade that keeps the crazy hours that outdoor lighting companies do.

Have a great (long) day.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-18-2008, 08:57 AM
I work from 6:30am to 8pm or 9pm with a very short lunch break, have dinner and walk the site until midnight. I am on site every other week. I find the hottest time of the day in the isalnds is 9 am, hot humid and no breeze yet. I just do my best to stay in the shade and drink lots of water.

when I'm not on an island I run the hottest part of the day here, 3-4pm so I sweat more and dont get pansy-ish. You get used to AC you are going to want AC.

I hear a lot of you complain in the winter that you can go out and work, now its summer and you are telling me that you take a "siesta". I'm jealous. You must be making the bug bucks that's all I have to say. I'll siesta when I retire and not until then.

Sweating is good for you. I feel great after sweating all day.

What are you guys wearing. Bright colors help, I wear very thin linen all day. When I do have to help trench and stuff, because guys are moving slow, I just take it easy and move slower than i would in Ohio or wherever.

But I'll tell you, most of you are owners of the company and your income depends strictly on how many jobs you seel and install. I'm on a salary and i still feel like I'm wasting time just sitting having dinner.

I work on the most beautiful islands and you will NEVER find me on a beach or in a pool before midnight. I'd feel horrible if I did that.

Growing up I had some neighbors who wouldn't play soccer, mind you that we were 8-14 years old, because it was too hot. They sit inside and play video games. I didnt have AC until I bought a prtable unit in college. Running cross country, my coach never cancelled training because of heat so maybe my body is different. I wish for 95 and sun 24/7 and I love hot humid days. I love to sweat even in dress clothes.

By the way heard this great expression the other day..."doing a great job aroun dhere is like peeing yourself in dark pants, you get a warm feeling but nobody seems to notice..." lol

Venturewest
06-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Have any of you guys tried moisture wicking performance clothes. In our humid climates (like 80% plus) it makes what feels like a 10 deg differance. Allows evaporation from your body to continue when your clothes are drenched unlike cotton. Also when you hop in your truck, the A/C dries it out in a few minutes. Nike, columbia, North Face, etc. are starting to make some good looking polos. Now you don't have to look like, "Put me in Coach!" when you wear them. I am getting ready to order some with my logo on them.

It is to the point now, that at the end of a humid day I can't stand to put on a cotton t-shirt to just hang out in. Feels too heavy, damp and clingy.

JoeyD
06-18-2008, 10:57 AM
By the way heard this great expression the other day..."doing a great job aroun dhere is like peeing yourself in dark pants, you get a warm feeling but nobody seems to notice..." lol

note to self......... wear dark pants from now on!

Thanks Doug!!! LOL :drinkup:

Pro-Scapes
06-18-2008, 08:13 PM
many days like today we work straight thru and my guys normally break down before I do but there are just a few days here and there we really need the break. When you start getting dizzy and start feeling light headed its time to cool down.

As for sweating in dresss clothes that just aint right. If im gonna sweat I at least wanna be comfy.I guess its just worse right now because its the start of summer. By August we will pray for days like that.

Lite4
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
I hear ya Billy. We didn't get to acclimate this year. It went from highs in the low 50s and raining all spring to within 2 days in the low 90s. Summer just sneaks up on you here. It is like someone flipping a switch for the hot weather. It does the same when it turns cold too.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-18-2008, 09:36 PM
now I',m hearing some sense, you are right...I thought i heard some whining...but I hear you now...you need to acclimate. Makes sense...

I do sweat like a pig when I work, the locals laugh at me, but I grin and bear it and it does make me feel good. Sweat all those poisons out, you know?

David Gretzmier
06-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Man, I wish I had known back when I first started cutting lawns when I was thirteen, 26 years ago, that I would be working outside. C'mon guys, If you choose to work outside, don't complain about the heat! but how to deal with it-

I-

shave head
start early
wear big straw hats
khaki shorts,
wicking shirts ( yellow is coolest )
gold bond in shoes and other places
keep towel in truck for sweat/hose down dryoff
drink fluids like crazy
rinse down your head and back of your neck with garden hose, rinse your wrists with cold water ( makes you feel way better)
fresh socks at mid-day with fresh gold bond powder
don't run air in truck except at lunchtime and end of day.
use gas blower if you have it to dry you off.

springgreen
06-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Thank you for sharing those helpful tips!
I'm sure that will be helpful to many.

Peace!

irrig8r
06-22-2008, 08:44 PM
David those were all good tips...

As I've gotten older, long pants don't bother me... in fact, I end up with fewer scratches, cuts and resultant infections this way... not to mention mosquito bites. My knee pads are rough on bare hairy legs, especially when they get dirt and gravel in between...

Now if I could just come up with that solar powered crotch ventilator fan I'd be in great shape :laugh:

We just went thru a heat wave here.. topped 103 a couple of days after a few days in the high 90s... I took the afternoon off Friday, worked yesterday morning and ended up working this AM just to catch up..

Been going through an awful lot of ice water and unsweetened tea, and have tried to plan the shadier work in general for the afternoons ...

And then some days I do like Billy and take a mid day siesta and listen to the cicadas hum with a cool drink in the shade.

Pro-Scapes
06-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I see nothing wrong with the mid day break. There is more to life than working 12-14 hours a day which I have had my fair share of in my life.

I too have grown to appreciate pants more expecially when crawing around on the ground. I used to do the shorts thing all the time but we get mean chiggers here (they call em redbugs) and there is a whole lot of things that will make ya itchy by the end of the day. I just ordered up a stack of the moisture wicking shirts and will have my local shop put our names on em.

Mike M
06-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm on my second week of no socks with boat shoes instead of boots.

I am moving slower and stopping for a cup of water each time I switch equipment.

I will continue wearing the lightest colored t-shirt possible. Thinking of going silk, but expensive.

David Gretzmier
06-23-2008, 06:46 PM
I've heard that silk is warm in the winter, but had not heard it can be cool in the summer. I use the yellow performance wicking t-shirts from wal-mart, they are around 10 bucks or so and work great. I can't wear boat shoes because of traction on slopes.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Mike, try linen not silk! Silk will not be a good thing in the humidity... Linen is the way to go, but you are talking some serious bucks! Of course you will look like Tommy Bahama on site. :)

springgreen
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Irrig8r....LOL

Solar powered crouch ventilator! A great idea! Love your creativity!
Any more inventions to share? Thanks for the smile :)

irrig8r
06-24-2008, 11:32 PM
You thought I was joking?

I think maybe I could adapt this to blow air down some kind of tubing... how about something like a funnel... to poly drip tubing... and then a belt made of soaker hose... or Netafim maybe...

I would mount it on the back of my hat rather than the front so it wouldn't get in the way...

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Gaiam/17-0328?$large$

http://www.gaiam.com/product/id/1006644.do?GCID=C18376x014&keyword=17-0328

And no, I wasn't planning on letting those blades get anywhere near any sensitive parts...

irrig8r
06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
BTW, just ordered two of them to play with... should be here in 7 to 10 days.

The fashion statement for the new millenium. I was thinking I could combine one with one of those hats that dispenses beer too... for my days off...

http://www.howtomakeahat.com/beer-drinking-hat/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Beer-Helmet----Army-Style/

klkanders
06-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Hmmm Tommy is the "Lighting Geek" in Cali. and now Gregg wants to wear a beer drinkers hardhat with a beer on one side and a bottle of water on the other for his soaker hose belt with cooling fan. What is your tag name going to be?
Are you guys getting maybe just a little too much sun or something out there?

Mike M
06-25-2008, 12:52 AM
I thought Gregg would look much older.

klkanders
06-25-2008, 01:01 AM
Thats funny.
Hey Mike M what are you doing in this thread....your monthly business thread is the place to be.......:)

Chris J
06-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Not any more Keith. The subject was removed for obvious reasons. If you'd like a copy of the transcript, I have saved it to my files. It's just good defense when your feuding with a guy that screams like a ***** every time he gets into an argument. "I'll Sue! I'll Sue!" "Libelous remarks, I'll Sue!"

irrig8r
06-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I thought Gregg would look much older.

LOL. I like the beat up rolled brim look though....

Mark B
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
While you are at could add some earbuds to the hat so you can listen to the iPod. Then you could have surround sound and take a few sips and work all at the same time.

springgreen
06-25-2008, 07:11 PM
There's this quality of my make up,can't quite explain it---but ppl who are creative in inventing things I'm just an immediate fan. Maybe it's simply because I'm creative, and to see others come up with solutions to everyday problems it's the practical application remedying problems, which is super. :)
I also can't do this but really admire the researchers out there that invent new cures for dieases, or are making inroads in understanding these things. The one little thing I've heard of is a bandana that's made to slip a gel pack inside, (it's rolled up) you freeze it, wrap it around your neck, to "enjoy hours of refreshment"...lol...not...maybe one hour probably ;) I live here in the nations most- like- a -sauna- city, Houston, TX. I know it gets hot in Southern CA, how about the humidity? I bet we win ;)

springgreen
06-25-2008, 07:12 PM
That last 2 smiley faces were suppose to be winking!

Pro-Scapes
06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
today it went from 95 and humid to about 70 and windy in a matter of minutes. Was like mother nature switched on the ac... then the water.

Mike M
06-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Billy is that heading my way??

irrig8r
06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
There's this quality of my make up,can't quite explain it---but ppl who are creative in inventing things I'm just an immediate fan. Maybe it's simply because I'm creative, and to see others come up with solutions to everyday problems it's the practical application remedying problems, which is super. :)
I also can't do this but really admire the researchers out there that invent new cures for dieases, or are making inroads in understanding these things. The one little thing I've heard of is a bandana that's made to slip a gel pack inside, (it's rolled up) you freeze it, wrap it around your neck, to "enjoy hours of refreshment"...lol...not...maybe one hour probably ;) I live here in the nations most- like- a -sauna- city, Houston, TX. I know it gets hot in Southern CA, how about the humidity? I bet we win ;)

Well, I'm in Northern Cal., but humidity is usually pretty low unless you're on the coast. 106 in the shade late last week was unusually and unbearably hot (for working in), but at least not humid.

BTW, those gel bandanna things are not bad...

springgreen
06-27-2008, 10:40 PM
irrig8r

Northern CA ??? I am sooo jealous :) I've visited Portland, OR, in awe of the awesome huge trees (love trees) loved Portlands, climate, hilly front yards, hiked up somewhere close to Mt. Ranier, ferried from Seattle to Victoria thru Pugent sound, also visited briefly Whidby Island and Vancouver. I loved it all so much, I cried when we had to leave! Have you ever visited Houston? Yes, thousands have come here for jobs, but the weather is so uncomfortable, many leave after one summer. We also have no moutains close, just the hill country, northwest of here, and it IS lovely--- but this city is overcrowded and over run. One of my dream vacations....is to drive that Hwy that follows the coast all the way from San Fran to Southern CA> I've seen CA beaches--spectacular.

Marcos
06-28-2008, 06:01 AM
How many of you guys split your work day up to deal with the heat ? I worked for about 5 hours this morning and started getting dizzy (98f heat index with 50% plus humidity)

I decided around 1pm it was time for a break and came home. I will return to work about 4pm until probably 9pm.

That's a real good idea.

I feel that this is one lifestyle and work habit many older Mexicans have instilled in their children.
Whether you resent south-of-the-border guest workers or not, everyone in this industry working outside in intensely warm climates should have options like this.

After all...who wouldn't want to stop home for 2-3 hours for an extended lunch, hang out with the kids a little, and maybe have a little 'nukkie time' with the old lady :rolleyes:.....before meeting back with crew at a designated place and time...and then work 'till dark ?!?

Mark B
06-28-2008, 08:56 AM
maybe have a little 'nukkie time' with the old lady :rolleyes:.....before meeting back with crew at a designated place and time...and then work 'till dark ?!?

Or with the extra GF.. LOL. Now I like the way you are thinking.

When it gets hot like that I will go home and relax, take a cat nap. I find alot of my friends that are scapers think i'm nuts for doing that.

Marcos
06-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Or with the extra GF.. LOL. Now I like the way you are thinking.

When it gets hot like that I will go home and relax, take a cat nap. I find alot of my friends that are scapers think i'm nuts for doing that.

:clapping:

Amen, brother !

Doesn't it feel like you're absolutely just reborn when you get back to work ?!?

Years ago my dad and I used to work like dogs on the weekends, then eat lunch together at the family farm.
Afterwards we'd just kick back and close our eyes, in COMPLETE silence, in the Lay-Z-Boys for, maybe, 25-35 minutes....no more than that !

Then.....we'd go back outside... and if we'd had a bad morning for some reason, often we'd see the world, as well as the "work at hand" , with a whole different perspective!

:)

springgreen
06-28-2008, 09:26 PM
It's unanimous....

naps win! Everybody wins :clapping:

Alan B
06-29-2008, 02:07 AM
88-94 and full humidity 6 months a year here in Tampa. You have to drink a lot of water and a change of shirt if you're working outside.

Mark B
06-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I know all of us drink gatorade. But has anyone tired cytomax. I have used it when I go mtn biking or trail running. You will not have that drained feeling after a long day in the sun sweating. You can find it at biking stores.

TXNSLighting
06-30-2008, 01:08 AM
I know all of us drink gatorade. But has anyone tired cytomax. I have used it when I go mtn biking or trail running. You will not have that drained feeling after a long day in the sun sweating. You can find it at biking stores.

Vitamin water! My new best friend.

Mark B
06-30-2008, 09:10 AM
I do not drink any of the pre mix drinks. They are loaded with junk. When you are dealing with the heat you want to replace the electrolites (sp). When you drink the pre mix drinks they do NOT provide you with what your body needs. I use the powder mix of gatorade. But the cytomax is the way to go. IF you get in the evening and your body feels tired and beat, then you are NOT getting what you need.

springgreen
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Good advice sleepyhead, thanks!

Mark B
07-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I forgot to say don't drink to much of the cytomax at one time. For one reason it cost to much. The other it will mess with your stomach if you drink to much at one time.

irrig8r
07-02-2008, 12:44 AM
I made the mistake of chugging one of those sports drinks with a lot of minerals in it... can't remember the name, but Joe Montana used to push it in TV ads... anyway, it had a rapid, startling and very unpleasant laxative effect... :laugh:

Mike M
07-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Gregg;

I have to wonder, as I'm sure you may have been out in the field without restroom facilities: how or where did this immediate "effect" manifested itself?

Anyways--I bought a very nice silk shirt for doing demo's in, and it was perfect, since it was baggy and airy and I didn't have to tuck it in (only goes to just below waste). I guess these are called "camp shirts." The Tommy Bahama is expensive, but I just bought one and I'll wash it a lot for consultations & demo's.

I want to try a white linen Tommy Bahama shirt for consultations, but I'll have to save up for that, or eat cereal for all meals, ride a bike instead of my truck, and cancel my cell phone.

David Gretzmier
07-04-2008, 12:58 AM
poweraid has that "effect" on me as well. there is a recipe on the internet for making your own gatorade that will replace all the things your body loses during hot days and it has no high fructose corn syrup or junk. I've never made it, but folks rave about it on other web sites and they say it is cheap, like 25 cents a quart or so.

Mark B
07-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Do you have the site. The gatorade powder mix that makes 6gallons cost around$8.00. If you know the site I'm up for trying. The cytomax is expensive. But it works well just don't make it to strong.

irrig8r
07-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Found this:

Want a Sports Drink without the Price?
Here’s a recipe for a homemade sports drink that will work as effectively as store-bought drinks, but it costs a lot less:

4 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup orange juice OR 2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 3/4 cups cold water
In the bottom of a pitcher, dissolve the sugar and salt in the boiling water. Add the juice and cold water; chill. Makes 1 quart.

Each 8-ounce glass of this sports drink contains 12 grams of carbohydrate (5 percent glucose), provides 55 calories, and costs about 7 cents to make. A typical store brand may cost about 28 cents per 8-ounce glass.

It's from this page:

http://fcs.tamu.edu/health/Health_Education_Rural_Outreach/Health_Hints/2006/spring06/energy-and-sports-drinks.php

I noticed it doesn't add any potassium though.... and for that I eat bananas and drink grapefruit juice.

Potassium chloride is sold as a salt substitute though, so maybe if you went half and half with fake salt and real salt...?

This page also says:

If you know you will be doing vigorous physical activity, such as participating in a race, sports event, or football practice, it is recommended that you schedule hydration. The following schedule for fluid intake can help you maintain adequate hydration:

Weigh yourself before the activity.
Consume 2–3 cups of fluid about 2 hours before the event or practice.
Consume 1 cup of fluid 15 minutes before the event or practice.
Consume 1/2 to 1 cup of fluid every 15 minutes during the activity.
Weigh yourself after the activity, and consume 2–3 cups of fluid for every pound lost.
Remember that during warm, humid days, sweat does not evaporate very quickly from your skin, making the need for scheduling hydration even more important. Cool beverages are the best choice, since they are absorbed better than warm beverages.

Mike M
07-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Here's my recipe:

I fill up one of those orange things with water from my hose. Since the fresh hose water has chlorine, I leave the leftover water in it, resulting in about 50% chlorinated water and 50% chlorine-free but possibly contaminated water.

Then for other nutrients I just eat pretty good before I leave.

Tip: anyone get real sleepy and cranky? Too much sucrose (cane sugar, etc.). Try eating fruit or juice without added sugar, as it will slowly metabolize and then slowly get spent. Otherwise you crash from regular sugar which goes directly to your blood and head as is spent immediately. I learned this while teaching ridiculously long days in the south with ridiculous caseloads. Trail mix stuff works well for this.

:sleeping:

Chris J
07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
My lead installer got wigged out by the heat today. This is the 4th time in 3 summers, and I'm betting it will happen again this summer. I kept telling him to go sit in the truck to cool off, and he did on a few occasions, but when I looked back he was on his hands and knees beside the truck hurling last nights dinner and today's lunch. I guess I worked him too hard, but I wasn't feeling too much pain. I ended up wrapping everything up and going back to bury tomorrow. I'm wondering if the AC is the wrong thing to do on summer days? Myself, I don't like to get in AC until the day is done. I always feel lazy after I get back out into the heat.

Eden Lights
07-15-2008, 11:41 PM
It's been a pretty good summer for me so far, but the hotter it get's the slower I have to stand up from kneeling positions to prevent the dizzies.

irrig8r
07-15-2008, 11:46 PM
I rarely use the AC, but it's also rare that we get humidity like you do.

I discovered that a wet bandanna applied to the neck and inside the wrists does wonders. Those solar fans arrived, and they sorta work, but I'm afraid that when my hat droops it'll chop off the end of my nose. :)

Consuming potassium seems to help: bananas, melons, oranges, grapefuit, POTATOES (http://www.mealographer.com/food/WENDYS/French-Fries-21247.html), etc.

And whoever suggested Gold Bond powder...thanks. At least now my pants are mentholated. :laugh:

TXNSLighting
07-16-2008, 01:10 AM
I guess the heat just doesnt effect me any more. Its been 100+ for the past 3 weeks or so and i work til 5 or so.

JoeyD
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Lite4
07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Man I feel for you guys in the south. We have been hovering around 100 here, but our humidity is only about 20%. Its a high desert, dry heat which is tolerable. That humid air in the south is so heavy when it gets hot, I honestly dont know how you guys do it. You are tougher than this Yankee.

Mike M
07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Easy. Business sucks. hehe.

I can't wear my sunglasses, they get covered in pouring sweat and I can't see. My hat feels better off, too.

The other day I came home at lunch, took a shower, and went back out.

I also eliminated extra activities, such as standing in the sun messing with tie-downs on my equipment.

It also helps to not think about anything, and to listen to music. Especially when you pull up to a house and just sit inside with the ac going and you have satellite radio.

All these things help distract me from working too hard.

Pro-Scapes
07-17-2008, 12:02 AM
it was pretty hot today but I chugged thru it. Everything definatly takes longer in this heat. Getting easier than it was a month ago tho. I found raising the AC temp at home helps some. It doesnt feel as hot out the next day.

Chris J
07-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Arrived at a small 15 light job this morning around 8:00. By 10:00, my installer was sitting in the truck to cool off. He got out once, but was back in there with the shakes in less than 30 minutes. I finally decided to clean up, and finish the installation tomorrow morning. Home before noon, and no check in hand. Dang it! The high today is 94, with probably 70% humidity. Feels like 120! In two hours I think I sweated a couple gallons, but I felt fine. I should have just finished the installation myself, but I needed to get him home.

TXNSLighting
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Arrived at a small 15 light job this morning around 8:00. By 10:00, my installer was sitting in the truck to cool off. He got out once, but was back in there with the shakes in less than 30 minutes. I finally decided to clean up, and finish the installation tomorrow morning. Home before noon, and no check in hand. Dang it! The high today is 94, with probably 70% humidity. Feels like 120! In two hours I think I sweated a couple gallons, but I felt fine. I should have just finished the installation myself, but I needed to get him home.

ok its a 100 here with 100% humidity...we work til 5. maybe your installer isnt playing fair? that would just strike me odd if one of my guys did that... hell my guys arent even starting til noon today. and one always works in jeans!

Chris J
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
He's a good worker, and extremely reliable, but the problem is his weight. He's on some metabolic research diet, and he's lost a few pounds, but he's still got a long way to go. I gave him a $1000 incentive to lose 50 lbs by November 30. If he doesn't do it, I think I'll have to make different arrangements for next summer.

Lite4
07-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Currently about 70 degrees here, light breeze and overcast with sporadic light rain showers. A very nice day. Too bad I am stuck inside catching up on paperwork.

David Gretzmier
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Very warm today, after this week, I am going to try to start at 6am and quit at noon.

Chris J
07-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Currently about 70 degrees here, light breeze and overcast with sporadic light rain showers. A very nice day. Too bad I am stuck inside catching up on paperwork.

70 in July? I'm moving to your neck of the woods! Need a partner?

TXNSLighting
07-22-2008, 03:39 PM
He's a good worker, and extremely reliable, but the problem is his weight. He's on some metabolic research diet, and he's lost a few pounds, but he's still got a long way to go. I gave him a $1000 incentive to lose 50 lbs by November 30. If he doesn't do it, I think I'll have to make different arrangements for next summer.

aw that makes sense. i got ya. yeh best to cut him lose if he doesnt take 1000 bucks.

Lite4
07-22-2008, 04:08 PM
70 in July? I'm moving to your neck of the woods! Need a partner?

It won't last. It was 96 yesterday.

pihta
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Damn guys! U live in a hot place. :D

We have 77-88F (25-30C) last month, some storms, a couple of strong rains.
Very comfortable :-)
Meteo news said that where could be more than 95F in late July, beginning on August. :(

Lite4
07-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Damn guys! U live in a hot place. :D

We have 77-88F (25-30C) last month, some storms, a couple of strong rains.
Very comfortable :-)
Meteo news said that where could be more than 95F in late July, beginning on August. :(

Dang that Al Gore anyway, he never said anything about LOCALIZED global warming. He was way off.. The coastlines are going to rise 600'.... but only in the United States. Egor, you and all of your Russian counterparts will experience some slight cooling...and..uh.. your coastlines will drop 600' :laugh:

springgreen
07-22-2008, 08:01 PM

Tim Ryan/Firefly Lighting Pro
...tread softly, love (wink) when you've got grown men, dehydrating and struggling w/ severe temps of 95 and 100 % humidity, hearing that you are enjoying those nice, cool days, can be brutal on the mind. And then on the other hand, who has more hutzbah...a dude working in the heat...or a dude, in cool climes...? (wink-<3) food for thought, goodwill to all!

Lite4
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah, just remember what comes around goes around. When you are enjoying 45-55 degree days in the winter, I will have to endure working in snow and sub-freezing temps. This last february I had to remove a foot of snow from the ground so I could install my wire.

Chris J
07-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Snow? What's that? Sounds like fun!

Eden Lights
07-23-2008, 12:10 AM
100 degrees on Monday and the Humidty was about the same. We went to lunch, never to be found again.

TXNSLighting
07-23-2008, 12:16 AM
aw 102 tomorrow. 103 the next day. good times!

David Gretzmier
07-23-2008, 01:05 AM
And I thought 92 felt hot today. 88 tomorrow, and off thursday to Omaha Nebraska to speak at a CHRISTMAS LIGHT CONVENTION. So A/C for a few days. got 4 landscape light bids to do when I get back. hopefully things are picking up .

Lite4
07-23-2008, 03:08 AM
Dave,
have fun in the A/C. I need to find one of those Christmas lighting seminars in my area. Things are definitely picking up for me here. Sold a decent job yesterday (my demo) and another one tonight.

pihta
07-23-2008, 03:58 AM
Heh, sometimes we make demos in winter. -4F in february. In such times I love that halogen lamps are so hot :D

Oh, and yes. Snow. :)

Lite4
07-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Egor you and James will have to fight it out for the coldest working weather. I think you both are around the same parallel. Too cold for me.

Pro-Scapes
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
been real hot here still. I think we had a heat index around 104 the other day. Saturday we had some odds and ends to do at a commercial site to reinstall an existing system and clean up the landscape. insane hot. I think we went thru 48 bottles of water with 3 of us

JoeyD
07-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I guess I wont rub in that it has been about 89deg light breeze with no clouds int he sky!! Typical San Diego summer time weather!!!

David Gretzmier
06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread as the heat is picking up this week. 95 today, heat is starting to get to me at 40 years old this year. I am seriously going to build a fan hat or something. I continue to do all my tips on post #26, and I am adding a computer cooling fan and battery pack to my list once I build it.

anybody got new ideas for battling the heat?

Lite4
06-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Dang, this midwest humidity is a killer. It poured rain this morning and then hit 91 this afternoon. I was dripping sweat and my shirt was soaked with sweat just unboxing fixtures on the back of my truck. I miss that nice dry heat out west.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-23-2009, 12:24 AM
It's hot up here now too... 88 Degrees today, over 90 predicted for tomorrow. At least we are surrounded by nice, cool freshwater lakes! My best advice to you for beating the heat: Take 1/2 of your lunch break and go for a swim... amazing how a quick dip can cool you down and re-focus you on the work to be done.

TXNSLighting
06-23-2009, 12:41 AM
It got to 100 today, and is going to continue that way for the next two weeks...It is terrible but i just block it out as best i can and go with the flow. Lots and lots of water guys!! Drink up!!

Pro-Scapes
06-23-2009, 09:21 AM
10 degrees above average here for past 2 weeks. Been really kickin our butts. I do have a new tip. I went with the under armour heat gear shorts (like biker shorts) under my regular work shorts (izod saltwaters) and it seems to have really helped not only keep me more comfortable and cooler but also eliminate any form of heat rash and keeps me real dry. THe under armours I have are actually baseball shorts they call the sliders. I know they are pricey but worth every dime.

99 plus heat index today should hit 107 or so with no end in sight. hovering around 50% humidity.

irrig8r
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
We've been mostly below normal temp for a couple of weeks... not complaining though.. except for the increased humidity some days...

Don't think it even hit 80 here last week.

About 88 yesterday though... I could not work efficiently in 50% or higher humidity...

Pro-Scapes
06-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Gregg rememeber I grew up just south of you in Gilroy. Ohhh how I miss bay area weather. You really dont know how good you have it there.

No one ever said anything about being effecient in this heat. Here it is 1030am and I am down for a few hours to cool down. The addition is still going on the house and the AC is not yet working in it. At the rate we are going the pool will be in just before fall comes!

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
48 bottles of water...you should be shot...I hope you were filling them up out of the hose or something!!!

Lite4
06-23-2009, 05:34 PM
48 bottles of water...you should be shot...I hope you were filling them up out of the hose or something!!!

Would you rather he die of heat stroke? Should be shot? That seems a bit extreme.

David Gretzmier
06-23-2009, 09:45 PM
97 here today. very warm. sun seems bright even with fully wrapped safety glasses ( kind of like eye surgery glasses ) and a big straw hat.

new tip today- if you guys pack a large ice chest and carry bottles of water ( I bring a gallon Jug ) or sports drinks, take both your wrists and bury them in the cooler as long as you can stand it, at least a minute will do it. the blood essentially is cooled as it circulates through your wrists. you will feel an instant rush of cooling. I also dunked my head in at least 3 times today, and each time it bought me another 30-45 minutes of feeling somewhat normal.

had my guy running wires through an attic today. It was like 150 degrees plus in there. he could only stand it for 10-15 minutes at a time.

Lite4
06-24-2009, 09:34 AM
whoa, attics are brutal this time of year.

irrig8r
06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Billy, even Gilroy is hotter than here, usually...

I like it when I have the luxury of working on larger property with enough mature trees so that I can plan my day around where the sun or shade is... sunny areas in the AM, shade in the afternoon...

David Gretzmier
06-26-2009, 05:51 PM
97 again here today. I can feel my arms burning even with sunscreen. taking James advice and going swimming tomorrow.

yesterday it was 95 or so , and in 5 minutes the sky cluded up and it started raining hard. I just laughed and kept working and ejoying the cool shower. I figured I was drenched with sweat anyway. in 15 minutes the rain stopped and whoa! the humidity. I felt as if I was eating the air to breathe.

I worked up until 9:30 pm last night, and it was 87 when I drove by the bank. at least it is 75 or so in the mornings from 6 til 8 am or so. by 11 it is over 90 and hot. I am taking the rest of the day off in 30 minutes or so. and taking the weekend off. yee hah!

Lite4
06-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Ughh!! I feel your pain brother. About the same here today.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-26-2009, 09:52 PM
As Artie Lang would say: "Whhhhaaaaaa!"

If you can't take the heat, then just hire more labour, get in your A/C Truck and sell some more jobs! :)

Had a GOOD week here! Sold 6 new jobs in 5 days! :) We are now fully booked well into September. :)

David Gretzmier
06-26-2009, 10:17 PM
For some reason last week was a great week for me as well. closed 4 lighting jobs, and did some of that work this week. I am booked til...2 weeks from now? But looking around, and guys are going out of business, tons of unemployment, I'll take 3 weeks work in a minute.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Good news is good news any way you look at it. Way to go David!

It appears that there are now pockets of relative stability and even some growth out there. New construction seems to be more attractive for some right now as there has not been a 'better time to build' in a long while. I am finding that those contractors who cater to the top end are as busy as ever. Not so in the middle of the market.

You really have to be schrewd at where you target your sales efforts. If I may be so presumptive to offer you guys a hint: Look to the finance sector as a relatively good niche to market too. Also look to the medical sector. As always, I recommend you focus your efforts at gaining entry to the top 5% of the market in your area.

Top quality designs, top quality components, professionally installed, professionally maintained, targeted to the top 5%... and treat your clients like GOLD. Is there a better way to beat the heat?

Lite4
06-27-2009, 09:12 AM
It does seem to be loosening up a bit. I sold 2 yesterday. 1 medium size and one pretty decent one. One of the ones I sold to also has a house on the lake up in Michigan she says needs some attention when this one is done. "ROAD TRIP"- WAHOO

QualityLawnCare4u
06-27-2009, 01:01 PM
The only way I am able to hold out is to work from 7-1 and then get out of the heat. I go back around 4 or so feeling much better and rested up. No job is worth dying for.

David Gretzmier
07-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Finally got some relief this week. temps got down to Jame's canada hot- 89 or so. once you have worked in 97-98 for a few days, and then feel 91 than 89 as the high, it feels good. I sat outside tonight and it was 75 degrees and it felt cool. I can handle 4th of July at 91 or 92. but 96 and up is just tough.

Pro-Scapes
07-02-2009, 09:06 AM
We still were at 96 yesterday by 1pm. Got down to 67 Tuesday night which was downright nice!

VERY VERY dry here right now. We need some rain. Even very sunny irrigated yards are stressing out. Ground is hard as a rock to dig in and it just sort of crumbles which makes burying wire a real challenge.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey I wish I could send you our weather Billy.... Been raining solid here for the past 5 days and we are sick and tired of it. Hopefully we will start to get some 'normal summer' here sometime soon. The mosquitos are legendary this year!

TXNSLighting
07-03-2009, 01:09 AM
105 here today. It was terrible..

Lite4
07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm back in Boise this week moving the fam out to Indiana.* It has been about 95-100 but I have got to tell you it has been very pleasant with next to no humidity.* All the times I complained about it in the past, I just didn't know what HEAT felt like with 70% humidity.* I am going to miss this nice, dry air. :cry:

David Gretzmier
07-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Well, that is your punishment for taking a regular job, with benefits, good salary, great marketing budget, security, etc. no more dry air for you buddy.

Lite4
07-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Yes sir, and I have the salt rings on my shirt to go with it too! It's all good though!

Pro-Scapes
07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
after living in Vegas 7 yrs I can totally relate to the humidity thing there Tim.

That dry weather is so comfy to work in. This humidity is just downright nasty. We are supposedly supposed to get some rain next week but I am not holding my breath. It has been a non stop heatwave for 3 weeks now and we are just burned out on it.

Lite4
07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Wow Billy, It sounds like you need some rain badly buddy. Indy is experiencing one of their wettest years on record. We had 18" of rainfall in April and May. Not sure what we had in June but it was plenty though. Last week was dry though, so maybe summer is coming finally. I don't mind the rain though, it's humid with or without it. At least it keeps the soil soft and workable.

David Gretzmier
07-03-2009, 10:28 PM
we had a crazy wet april and may, but june was more normal.

was in Vegas in July 2005, and experienced 111 degrees. The bus driver said it was 117 the week before. I don't care what they say, that was freaking HOT. I could see the heat. I guess it is all relative, as now 91 degrees feels fine compared to 98. The high yesterday was 88. 65 at night. I can live with that -Joy !

Lite4
07-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I was in Phoenix last week it was 108. I got off the plane and onto the jetway ramp and it felt like someone opened the oven door with my head next to it. Hot and dry!

S&MLL
07-04-2009, 12:15 AM
You guys are more then welcome to come vacay in humid Jersey

Pro-Scapes
07-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I can relate to the oven door but that dry heat is alot more comfortable to work in. going to be 99 here today with predicted heat index of 108. That with all the humidity will just take your breath away when you walk outside