PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

lawncare
01-04-2002, 09:29 AM
:confused: I have a guy in the area that just started landscaping in an area were I maintain lawns he stays 2 doors down from a friend I have spoken with him on several occasions even sold him some equip when he first started gave him a few pointers. He caught me yesterday and asked if he could do some work for me or help me from time to time from the conversation i gathered he did good this summer but didn't save any money for the winter and know he's behind on his house payments(trouble is he lowball me on a few houses in the area i didn't mention i use to be the 1 doing just feeling him out at the time they wasn't paying what it was worth but hell i don't turn down money it all adds up) I want to help but don't want to whup him if he comes into my areas he dosn't cover as much ground as i do. Should i draw up a no compete agreement and treat him as an employee or just say i can't use him i kinda feel sorry for him he asked for a loan with equip as collateral but if i have the equip hows he going to work to get it back when summer comes.

fivestarlawnken
01-04-2002, 09:56 AM
This situation sucks for the both of you,sounds like you feel bad for the guy and he is going to lose his home.I think your best answer might times are hard for me also.He might try to stab you in the back when its all said and done.Does a no compete contract really mean anything in some guys eyes?Sounds like he is bad shape asking another LCO for a loan,maybe offer him a crazy low amount for his equip and hold for collateral.Be careful and go with your gut insinct.:eek:

Lawn Dog2001
01-04-2002, 10:10 AM
Sounds dangerous to me. You may help him out to be nice. Next thing you know he is putting flyers in your customers doors. This guy could easily study your business while he is working for you. He will eventually know how much you charge each customer and where all your customers are. Are you going to be comfortable the first time you come around the side of a house, and find him talking to a good customer of yours?

Help the guy by giving him advice on how to run his business better. Or you can sub out some undesirable accounts you have. But that is as far as I would go.

65hoss
01-04-2002, 12:16 PM
Lets examine this.

Since its winter, will you be going to your customers houses or are you doing other types of work that puts you at non regular customers houses?

Since you only know him like an aquaintance, I would be careful. Its not like he's an old friend. If I could work him without him seeing the details of grass cuttin' customers then maybe. If not, I would think real hard about it first. It would be different if he was in a different area cutting, but he's in the same area.

If your asking this question, you probably see something in him you don't trust. I read people pretty well, and if I don't trust them they get no help from me. On the other hand, if I trust them, and see they are a genuine good guy, I will help out. Even if they would be competing in my same areas. Why not? This way we could both get what it is really worth.

Randy Scott
01-04-2002, 01:21 PM
I'm the jerk here in the group. I wouldn't lend him a hand. He makes the bed he is going to lay in. Bailing him out is not your problem. He should have had better foresight than this. That's exactly why this industry is the way it is. Everyone thinks they can start an LCO. They can, it's simple, it isn't rocket science. Now running a successful business is where it gets difficult. Mowing the grass IS easy, no doubt, running the business takes a little more planning and brains. His problem,not yours!

tailoredlook
01-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Sounds like he's sol. If you help, he's either gonna rob you blind or keep comming back for more. Gotta let him stand on his own two feet.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Sounds like to me your buddy is a wolf in sheeps clothing. How much would you pay him if you did decide to help him out? $8/hr? If that's the case, I would give him a copy of the help-wanted classifeds. If he's hungry enough he'll find a job to get him through the winter.

LAWNS AND MOWER

Michael Fronczak
01-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Tell him keep looking.

gogetter
01-04-2002, 05:07 PM
Everyone he has made some good points. My advice is take a bit from each.
First, this should definately not become your problem. If he needs work, he can look in the classifieds (which is the boat I'm in right now).
I definately wouldn't lend him money! That's just asking for trouble.
And I wouldn't hire him as an employee, even if you need the help, because he already has the mind set of working for himself. So he will only use you to gain experience and learn some in's and out's, and then will take that info to grow his company.

I would offer him advice, maybe give him some undesirable clients/work if you have them to give. But that's about as far as I'd go.

I see that you feel bad for him, but most people get it together when in a pinch. He'll find work. It's not your weight to carry.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
I'm the jerk here in the group. I wouldn't lend him a hand. He makes the bed he is going to lay in. Bailing him out is not your problem. He should have had better foresight than this. That's exactly why this industry is the way it is. Everyone thinks they can start an LCO. They can, it's simple, it isn't rocket science. Now running a successful business is where it gets difficult. Mowing the grass IS easy, no doubt, running the business takes a little more planning and brains. His problem,not yours!

I'm going to second this. You have helped him enough.

Advice is one thing, but bailing him out, and getting screwed in return is another.

I did similar with a long time friend and it cost me just over $100,000.

So before you even waste your time thinking, end the thoughts now and forget about him.

lawncare
01-04-2002, 05:46 PM
I got stab in the back by a relative once in this biz he didn't las long i guess ill buy the 5 x 10 trailer and the walkbehind he has and if he wants it back comes spring he can buy it back if he dosent want to do it that way. i feel sorry but there always room at the shelter i guess since its cold down here now i was feeling sorry but im woke now i guess hes sol

Nathan
01-04-2002, 09:45 PM
You have probably already answered your own question. Do you really need help, especially during this time of the year? and is he really that good of a friend to you to make you care?

hubb
01-04-2002, 11:35 PM
Screw him!:angry:

dj'slawnservice
01-05-2002, 01:00 PM
I agree that this guys financial problems are not yours !
I personally wouldn't/couldn't hire him this time of year.
If your good samaritan conscience is telling you to help him out there is ample room here for educating this guy....much like what is done here. Just remember that he is and will be your competition.
I believe we all need a friend in this business.....a mentor really.
Probably most people here started out pretty much in the dark about most aspects of this business. And because we did we want everyone else to do so ????
Yes, we all have to "pay our dues". But how high should that price be ?

geogunn
01-05-2002, 03:14 PM
if you feel like you should help the guy and he is kinda down, open your wallet and flip him a hundered.

otherwise you will be disappointed when you expect him to remember you after you did him the favor of letting him work for you.

GEO

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-05-2002, 04:29 PM
This thread reminds me of a guy who used to mow in my area. Before he lost his license to a dewee, he would drive a beat up pickup truck with his helper crammed in the cab of his truck and his chow would be sitting in the window seat with his head out the window. When he lost his license he was reduced to one neighborhood and would strap everything on his push mower and would walk from yard to yard with his chow in tow. Funny thing is, his quality of work was fantastic. Edged,trimmed, bagged, etc... Then he got in trouble and was time for him to take a vacation in the big house. I picked up a few of his accts but his customers called me so its not like I was a vulture. Ran into this guy last spring and he asked me for a job. He was down on his luck, his chow had the mange. Told him I didn't need any help (which was true) but slipped $50. Considered this his commission for his accts I got.

LAWNS AND MOWER