PDA

View Full Version : 14" wire spoke wheels

Tharrell
06-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Here's some pics for anyone wanting to replace 14" plastic wheels on any equipment.
Seems like more and more equipment is coming with the crappy chinese plastic wheels. I bought some America made steel spoke wheels to replace those shoddy plastic things when they disintigrated. Tony

By the way, I found them on Ace Hardware's website. Free shipping to the store.
EDIT: Like some of you, MY yard suffers during the cutting season!!!

greenred
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Here's some pics for anyone wanting to replace 14" plastic wheels on any equipment.
Seems like more and more equipment is coming with the crappy chinese plastic wheels. I bought some America made steel spoke wheels to replace those shoddy plastic things when they disintigrated. Tony

By the way, I found them on Ace Hardware's website. Free shipping to the store.
EDIT: Like some of you, MY yard suffers during the cutting season!!!

I was at the dealer yesterday for those vacuums and I could not believe how cheaply the wheels where made on a supposedly commercial piece of equipment.

Tharrell
06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
I would have GLADLY paid the extra money for wire spokes if I had the choice. To me, plastic wheels larger than 6" or spoked in any way are crap.
Originally, I searched for 14" bicycle wheels but there is no such thing. I had just about given up when I came across Ace Hardware.
I was determined to NOT put that crap back on there just to see it happen again. I was even thinking of fabricating some swivels up front which would be excellent for hard surfaces. Tony
EDIT: I sent an email to Snapper over 6 weeks ago and haven't heard from them yet.

greenred
06-17-2008, 06:38 PM
I would have GLADLY paid the extra money for wire spokes if I had the choice. To me, plastic wheels larger than 6" or spoked in any way are crap.
Originally, I searched for 14" bicycle wheels but there is no such thing. I had just about given up when I came across Ace Hardware.
I was determined to NOT put that crap back on there just to see it happen again. I was even thinking of fabricating some swivels up front which would be excellent for hard surfaces. Tony
EDIT: I sent an email to Snapper over 6 weeks ago and haven't heard from them yet.

how do you like the machine otherwise? I have looked at those types of machines before but for the jobs we were doing it would fill up in about 5 mins. In the long run I figured it was cheaper and made more sense for me to just go with grass gobblers on our WB's.

Supper Grassy
06-17-2008, 07:08 PM
email snapper again

Tharrell
06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
It was purchased to vacuum parking lots primarily although it is excellent on turf. The adjustable height is very easy to use. Except for the plastic wheels and non response from Snapper, I'm satisfied with this machine. Tony

Richard Martin
06-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I have found the problem isn't usually with the wheel itself but the bearing gives out long before it should.

Tharrell
06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
That could be but not in this case. All 4 hubs were cracked and 2 of them disintigrated, I haven't even changed the oil for the first time in this thing.
High wheel mowers have small wheels in front so they would't be as problematic for this. Plain and simple, Snapper should put these wheels on their machines, in my opinion. Tony
By the way, I operate it primarily on hard surfaces and lift when turning. I believe the lifting and turning is where the cracks came from.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
06-19-2008, 01:00 PM
We custom make 14-inch wheels we have for our MV, and custom made 12-inch wheels on our KV series to avoid those very wheels you're showing. Richard Martin is right in that the bearings normally give out before the wheel. That's one of reasons we even sell replacement bearings.

Buying a Billy Goat will avoid those wheel problems and you will get a response from us.

zemzabob
06-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Plastic and wheels just don't mix IMO

Tharrell
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
I knew Billygoat had 12" steel wheels on one model a buddy of mine has. I called a dealer and she inquired about the current wheels but couldn't get a confirmation about what they were made of. These wheels from Ace were about $110 for the set and MADE IN AMERICA. I really like the castor kit for the Billygoat. I just got a 5 year contract that I may need something like that. Part of my newest contract includes frequent city parking lot and alleyway maintenance. It would really be nice to ride a vacuum through the city!!!
Would it pull a sulky? Tony