PDA

View Full Version : Fluid film wouldnt break it loose

ProStreetCamaro
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
I just had to replace the center spindle on our old lazer hp. It is a 1998 or 99 model and the center spindle was original. For the past week I have been soaking it with fluid film thinking it might work its way down and help free the pully up. Well today I go and put the 3 jaw puller on it and nothing happened but a tottaly bent up pully. So I tried a sledge hammer and yet again it wouldnt budge. After 2 hours of the puller and beating the ever living $hit out of it I finaly broke out the sawzall and fresh blades and went to town. 30 minutes later I was finally through that thick shaft and the old unit was free. 15 minutes later it was all back together (WITH ANTI SEIZE ON THE SHAFT).

If I could get my hands on the morons (or rather the management that decides to save $.10 per mower by not useing anti seize) that assemble these things I would beat them into submission.

Anyway just thought I would give that short review of fluid film as a penetrant. In this case it did nothing. Honestly I dont think anything would have helped short of a torch to heat it up and even then it probably wouldnt have budged. Fluid film does work wonders in all other areas such as protection from rust and as a lube.

KGR landscapeing
06-17-2008, 04:08 PM
PB blaster is the only thing that normaly helps. fuild film makes a losy penatrating oil. JMO

Nickos
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
i still cant figure out why everyone thinks this stuff is some magical do all spray

bought a can and was not really that impressed by it

im not saying anything bad about it, it works but it works just as well as a lot of other products, i found nothing special about it

Dano50
06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Holy Moly, you guys are going to give me a heart attack. J/K

Fluid Film's #1 function is to stop corrosion. It will stop or prevent corrosion better than any other competitive product. We've got the test results to prove it. It is also an excellent lubricant because the product will not evaporate, get gummy or tacky, or readily wash off a surface.

As a penetrating oil, it is not a quick fix. If you've got something as stuck as that center spindle, I'd bet money that Fluid Film would eventually break it free. How long would it take? I don't know. But I do know that the product would continue to last and penetrate for at least a year, if it is kept indoors.

Most penetrating oils are high solvent content, which is why they either work real fast or not at all. They evaporate quickly, so if they don't bust something loose right away you've got a problem.

Where Fluid Film is going to prove itself is over time. When you notice that you don't have to reapply, that is where the payoff comes. I hear very different stories regarding Fluid Film on mower decks. The reason there is such a strong difference of opinion is because of the following:

The deck needs to be clean to start. Period. You need to put a good coat on a few separate times, and then you will start to see some good results. Once again, it is not a quick fix. If you use it on a regular basis, the payoff will come.

I'm not just a salesman. I am a die-hard believer in this stuff. I have seen how well it can work, and I have been amazed at the variety of applications available. I've seen the test results, heard the testimonials, and use it on a regular basis myself.

ProStreetCamaro
06-17-2008, 05:05 PM

Fluid Film's #1 function is to stop corrosion. It will stop or prevent corrosion better than any other competitive product. We've got the test results to prove it. It is also an excellent lubricant because the product will not evaporate, get gummy or tacky, or readily wash off a surface.

As a penetrating oil, it is not a quick fix. If you've got something as stuck as that center spindle, I'd bet money that Fluid Film would eventually break it free. How long would it take? I don't know. But I do know that the product would continue to last and penetrate for at least a year, if it is kept indoors.

Most penetrating oils are high solvent content, which is why they either work real fast or not at all. They evaporate quickly, so if they don't bust something loose right away you've got a problem.

Where Fluid Film is going to prove itself is over time. When you notice that you don't have to reapply, that is where the payoff comes. I hear very different stories regarding Fluid Film on mower decks. The reason there is such a strong difference of opinion is because of the following:

The deck needs to be clean to start. Period. You need to put a good coat on a few separate times, and then you will start to see some good results. Once again, it is not a quick fix. If you use it on a regular basis, the payoff will come.

I'm not just a salesman. I am a die-hard believer in this stuff. I have seen how well it can work, and I have been amazed at the variety of applications available. I've seen the test results, heard the testimonials, and use it on a regular basis myself.

I know fluid film is great stuff so im not really knocking it. It just wasnt able to help in my situation. I understand that it is geared more toward protection than it is toward being a penetrant.

Dano50
06-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I know fluid film is great stuff so im not really knocking it. It just wasnt able to help in my situation. I understand that it is geared more toward protection than it is toward being a penetrant.

Yeah, I know. I got that impression. I like the real talk you get on here, but I wanted to just clarify the strengths of the product.

seabee1
06-17-2008, 11:07 PM
fluid film is a excellent rust preventive and preservative but once you have rust started the best rust release agent i have run into was silikroil http://www.kanolabs.com/google/ but some time's a judicious use of heat is the only option .(then never seize)

Raven386
06-17-2008, 11:19 PM

yea, so die-hard he got a F.F tattoo on his left cheek... I didnt see, a certain somebody told me all about it :rolleyes: has she given you a hard time yet? I asked her to bust your chops extra for me! lol.

Lbilawncare
06-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Most likely the heat "welded" the pulley to the shaft. I've seen it dozens of times on spindles that got ran dry (not to say that yours did) 19000 feet per minute is spinning pretty fast and produces a lot of heat. I use Fluid Film and have had great results, I spray down my blade bolts and don't have to reapply for weeks (that is removing them every day)

Dano50
06-18-2008, 10:56 AM
yea, so die-hard he got a F.F tattoo on his left cheek... I didnt see, a certain somebody told me all about it :rolleyes: has she given you a hard time yet? I asked her to bust your chops extra for me! lol.

Uh oh, Secrets out! :laugh:

;) No, really, I don't have a butt cheek tattoo. ;)

dura to the max
06-18-2008, 11:12 AM
i used a sample can on the underside of my deck and was VERY pleased. prevent buildup in wet grass wonderfully. i want to put some on the top side and see if it helps aound the pulleys.

Lazer_Z
06-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Uh oh, Secrets out! :laugh:

;) No, really, I don't have a butt cheek tattoo. ;)Hey Dano, If the higher ups ever get into a pow wow session, quietly bring back up the idea of an Official FF tattoo. I'm still game for the first one and I've still got room. Like I said all I'd want is a lifetime supply of FF and your logo will be inked on me. Heck, if ya want I'll PM you all of my contact info and you can pass it along to someone with pull, and have them contact me. I'm serious too! :waving:

Dano50
06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Rob, I don't know if they would ever go for it, but I'd love to see it! (Unless it was on your butt cheek). :laugh:

Hey, if you get a tattoo we'll send you out a free Customized Sure Shot Sprayer!

JoyofFluidFilm
06-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Rob, I don't know if they would ever go for it, but I'd love to see it! (Unless it was on your butt cheek). :laugh:

Hey, if you get a tattoo we'll send you out a free Customized Sure Shot Sprayer!

To put a Fluid Film tattoo on your butt cheek means courage, honor, and faith in the product.

Not only do you cherish Fluid Film, but you are ONE with the product.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dano50
06-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Joy, our Fluid Film Zen Master, has spoken. I had no idea she was so deep. Makes me want to get a Fluid Film tattoo...

Lazer_Z
06-20-2008, 06:14 PM

Hey, if you get a tattoo we'll send you out a free Customized Sure Shot Sprayer! Trust me Dan, that's not the place I'd put it :dizzy:

I'll have to talk it over with my artist, but a customized sprayer on my end doesn't sound too bad.