PDA

View Full Version : Jim Lewis

Waterit
06-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I notice Jim Lewis hasn't posted since he landed that big service deal.:laugh::laugh:

EagleLandscape
06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
He's busy going to the beach and out to dinner at 5 courses restaurants since he's currently livin' the high life!

Wet_Boots
06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
I notice Jim Lewis hasn't posted since he landed that big service deal.:laugh::laugh:

It's a b-i-i-i-g system!

Mike Leary
06-17-2008, 07:09 PM
He kept it to himself, too, I showed up with my Rain Master hat and motor home & he
called the cops!

Wet_Boots
06-17-2008, 07:31 PM
He's busy going to the beach and out to dinner at 5 courses restaurants since he's currently livin' the high life!From greasy spoons to Pinot Gris in one easy step!

JimLewis
06-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Wow! My own self-titled thread??? I am honored!

That estate my irrigation tech. is working on is a large job. He's made a few grand there in just two Thursdays (we are only allowed on the property on Thursdays).

But that's not the reason I haven't been posting to LS. First off, I generally don't post a whole lot during the busy season. I post more in the fall and winter when things are slow. But second, I have been working a lot just trying to land some big jobs to keep our crews working. This is a tough year. Hard to land jobs. But my hard work paid off this week when I signed a contract for a $75,000 job. That's just one residential yard. And just the back yard at that. We already did about $40K in the front yard earlier this year. Anyway, this is a pretty big job for us - the biggest contract I've ever landed. We're starting Monday and it will take a good 4-6 weeks probably. Lots of Irrigation, 2500 sq. ft. of paver patio, a ton of rock boulders and rock slab staircase, a large lawn to install, a ton of plants and trees, lighting and more. So that's the kind of stuff I've been busy doing. I have a few other smaller jobs in the works too but waiting to hear back on a few of those.

Mike Leary
06-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Come on, you must have time to :drinkup: and post a pic or two. :)

JimLewis
06-21-2008, 11:16 AM
I haven't taken any photos of this place yet. But I'll get some before photos on Monday for the back yard project we're starting. The Before-Afters will be pretty awesome.

Just as a side note, as big as this job is for us, it still doesn't outweigh the loss of business we've had this year - sad to say. Landscape construction and new irrigation systems are way down this year. We were lucky to get this project. If I hadn't, I'd be laying off another crew.

Waterit
06-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Just as a side note, as big as this job is for us, it still doesn't outweigh the loss of business we've had this year - sad to say. Landscape construction and new irrigation systems are way down this year. We were lucky to get this project. If I hadn't, I'd be laying off another crew.

Anyone else want to weigh in on how much decrease/increase they've experienced this year?

Our installs are way off - we usually do 2-3 a week, down to 2-3 a month.
Service is down 35% from last year.

Commercial construction picking up some, but housing still flat as a board.

EagleLandscape
06-21-2008, 11:43 AM
500% growth this year:)

but then again, im full time now.

DanaMac
06-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Service is down 35% from last year.

Really. I am just the opposite. 35% increase. And still backlogged.

JimLewis
06-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Come on, you must have time to :drinkup: and post a pic or two. :)

All right. I took some time today to take some photos for you all. Here is the project we've been working on lately.

These first few photos are of the mostly completed work we did already in the front yard.

JimLewis
06-25-2008, 05:07 AM
One more from the front yard.....

JimLewis
06-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Here's 1 of the 5 designs we have for what's going on in the back yard....

JimLewis
06-25-2008, 05:10 AM
And here is the back yard project in progress.......

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Very nice JIM! Primo looking work. I still don't know how you guys bid that larger stuff. Ballsy if you ask me.

Mike Leary
06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Nice work, Jim!

JimLewis
07-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Lots of people been emailing me asking to see some "during" photos of this project. So for Hosk and the rest, here are some updated photos of this large job in-progress. Just the back yard has turned into over $100K job now. We're currently working on pavers. And be gentle, this work isn't done yet. So don't criticize too heavily until we're finished.....

Here are some photos of the paver work in-progress....

JimLewis
07-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Another Paver photo.....

JimLewis
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Some photos of one of the rock slab stairs we installed. There are about 6 of these in the back yard. This is 1/2 of the largest set of stairs.

JimLewis
07-16-2008, 07:47 PM
And here is a photo from a distance of where we are working right now....

Mike Leary
07-16-2008, 07:53 PM
I take it the guy on the far left is your lead, or you? Nice work, Jim.

JimLewis
07-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Took me a minute to figure out which photo you were referring to.

Yah, that's Jeremy, our project manager. He usually is just out giving bids, running errands, and managing material-flow. But on this project he's actually been working down on the ground with the guys most all day. You'll notice the knee pads. There, he was on the phone. But he's been getting down a dirty with all the other guys.

I wish I was that skinny! :laugh:

EagleLandscape
07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
what brand paver is that? mega bergerac from belgard?

Waterit
07-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Beautiful-looking work, Jim.

JimLewis
07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
what brand paver is that? mega bergerac from belgard?

That's the Venetian Stone by Pavestone;

http://www.pavestone.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,57/flypage,shop.flypage_pavers/product_id,43/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,136/

bobw
07-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Very nice looking work. I'm stunned how cheap that back yard is; around here you'd have priced that at 2-3 times as much.