PDA

View Full Version : Echo Edger

mbrooks17
06-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Is there an after market edger blade for an echo? We just bought a new echo edger and it is going through blades like crazy. We've had it for a month and are on the 3rd blade?

Lawn-Sharks
06-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Oregon makes replacement blades, but check at your local mower shop you can buy them in bulk also its not uncommon to go through blades that quick i use a blade a week per edger. You can also slow down the blade wear a little by raising the depth hight. Hope this helps.

tamadrummer
06-17-2008, 06:35 PM
I use an edger blade just about every day or two. They are CHEAP!

Do you think that there is something wrong with your Edger because you are using blades?

Just go and buy a box of 50, I got my last box for $26.00. Granted they are not heat treated but so what. I can buy them so much cheaper than the heat treated ones that it makes fiscal sense to me.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy your edgers or blades from HD/LOWES they will drain you! GO to a dealer and they will be about $.50 if you buy one or if you buy 50 or if you go to the box stores they will get you for about 3 or 4 bucks each.

J&R Landscaping
06-17-2008, 06:36 PM
There are some days when I kill a blade in less then a day. I buy them by the 50 pack (or 40) whichever from my dealer. Get a good price, its really close to 40 cents each.

david shumaker
06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I use the heavy duty blade on my echo. It is a thicker blade. I don't have alot of sidewalks, so don't use the edger that often.

SamTheLawnMan
06-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Go on Ebay and do a search....I got 'em cheap there...

freshprince94
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Oregon makes replacement blades, but check at your local mower shop you can buy them in bulk also its not uncommon to go through blades that quick i use a blade a week per edger. You can also slow down the blade wear a little by raising the depth hight. Hope this helps.

Yup. I use the Oregon blades from my dealer. They are cheap, and work well.

lawns Etc
06-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I get em from Expressmowerparts.com they are a sponsor very good $$ and I go through about 5 per week I have miles of sidewalks

greenred
06-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Out of curiosity are you guys using your edgers every time you edge or do you use your weed eaters to edge most of the time?

I would use my stick edger once in the spring, mid summer, fall and the rest of the time we just edged by turning the weed eater 90 degrees and edging with the line. You have to have good quality line though. We used square gator magnum trimmer line and it worked great for us. We could go straight from trimming to edging or vice versa with out having to walk back to the truck and make a really productive rhythm especially when we had two or three properties next to each other.

As far as quality wise you could not tell the difference between which way we edged, in fact I will go so far as to say that most of the time after our initial stick edging, edging with our weed eaters looked better.

But I got lucky in the fact I had lawns and grasses that this method worked really well on.

lawncuttinfoo
06-28-2008, 10:28 PM
any other options besides expressmowerparts?

S.A.L.
06-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Bottom of the page.
http://www.texasmowerparts.com/catalog/products.asp?ds=SIMPLE&category_id=73

They last fairly well.

traman
06-28-2008, 10:39 PM
go to the sponsers forum,you will find some there to

lawncuttinfoo
06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
expressmowerparts wants $25 to ship 50 blades.
Jthomas 1.17 per blade at 50 count with $10 ship is the cheapest I can find for heat treated at least .125" thick.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Out of curiosity are you guys using your edgers every time you edge or do you use your weed eaters to edge most of the time?

I would use my stick edger once in the spring, mid summer, fall and the rest of the time we just edged by turning the weed eater 90 degrees and edging with the line. You have to have good quality line though. We used square gator magnum trimmer line and it worked great for us. We could go straight from trimming to edging or vice versa with out having to walk back to the truck and make a really productive rhythm especially when we had two or three properties next to each other.

As far as quality wise you could not tell the difference between which way we edged, in fact I will go so far as to say that most of the time after our initial stick edging, edging with our weed eaters looked better.

But I got lucky in the fact I had lawns and grasses that this method worked really well on.

you shouldnt have to walk back to your truck if you have a string. you should edge all of the, trim all of em and then cut em all and then blow em all and then leave.thats what i do on my strings.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I buy Stihl mfg blades at my dealer, but they still cost more than $2 a piece... That's okay, though, b/c I bought an Edge-It. Now I use my edger like once a month, tops...

siclmn
06-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Where are the 50 cent blades? My dealer laughed at that price.

Lazer_Z
06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
I buy Stihl mfg blades at my dealer, but they still cost more than $2 a piece... That's okay, though, b/c I bought an Edge-It. Now I use my edger like once a month, tops...$2.98 each, the last time I bought them.

Has anyone ever tried the star blades? I don't think I'd buy them all the time as they are kinda pricey.

lawncuttinfoo
06-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Bottom of the page.
http://www.texasmowerparts.com/catalog/products.asp?ds=SIMPLE&category_id=73

They last fairly well.

Are these the heat treated ones, also what is the thickness? neither is mentioned on the site.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-29-2008, 11:30 AM
$2.98 each, the last time I bought them.

Has anyone ever tried the star blades? I don't think I'd buy them all the time as they are kinda pricey.

My brother in law, LawnTamer, LOVES those.

lawns Etc
06-29-2008, 01:16 PM
any other options besides expressmowerparts?

Call them and you get 150 blades shipped for $115 you have to call the order to get that price

lawncuttinfoo
06-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Call them and you get 150 blades shipped for $115 you have to call the order to get that price

They have that price online for the non heat treated thin ones, I want heat treated and at least .125"