PDA

View Full Version : Better miles using higher octane

siklid1066
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Buck for buck can you get better gas mileage for high octane gas?What about mowers ect?

nmurph
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
not true unless your engine specifically requires a higher octane; you are just throwing $$ out of the window.

Lawn-Sharks
06-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Nope! I tried 87 and 93 in my Ford and got the same fuel economy.

Lbilawncare
06-17-2008, 08:40 PM
You are better off to change the oil.

mowerbrad
06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
One of my dealers recommends running higher octane fuel in mowers and other equipment. I run premium diesel in my truck and notice a little bit better fuel economy than with regular diesel. As for gas in cars we try and use Shell. Once we started using Shell we noticed that we can get about 30 more miles per tank.

lifetree
06-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Buck for buck can you get better gas mileage for high octane gas?What about mowers ect?

The only lawn equipment that I've been told by the dealer requires mid-grade gas is the ECHO BP blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer that I have ... and when I looked in the manuals it said the same thing, so I use mid-grade in those things. Other than that, I don't have any other equipment that requires a higher octane, so I don't use it becuae like the others in this thread have said ... you're throwing you're money away !!

lifetree
06-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Buck for buck can you get better gas mileage for high octane gas ? ...

BTW, my apology because I forgot to say that i think this observation may not be entirely correct !! You see, I got a 50cc Scooter last that gets 105 MPG and the Scooter only cost $ 1,000 brand new ... I'm not sure, but I think that "buck for buck" my Scooter may be the better deal.

HenryB
06-17-2008, 09:19 PM
BTW, my apology because I forgot to say that i think this observation may not be entirely correct !! You see, I got a 50cc Scooter last that gets 105 MPG and the Scooter only cost $ 1,000 brand new ... I'm not sure, but I think that "buck for buck" my Scooter may be the better deal.

Is it a chinese made one? I saw one last week. Nice!

Two Seasons
06-17-2008, 10:40 PM
I've been told that higher octane fuel has less ethanol in it. Can anyone confirm that?

I know that ethanol has affected my MPG by almost 15% in my cars.

mverick
06-17-2008, 10:50 PM
I've been told that higher octane fuel has less ethanol in it. Can anyone confirm that?

I know that ethanol has affected my MPG by almost 15% in my cars.

Well,

Ethanol can drive the Octane up. But you get less MPG out of it.

Cheap high octane used to be high ethanol blends. Now, they all have ethanol. At least in my area. Some farm area's that are away from large cities still have 100% gas.

A lot of big refinery's don't blend the fuel. They just make it and pump it out. Others buy it and add there additive package and Ethanol.

Octane is adjustable at the Refinery. Part of desulfurization of fuels leads to lower octane. So they have to run it back through a reformer to get the Octane up. They now have hybrid units that take out the Sulphur without loosing octane. One less step. But, they are new units so a lot of investment.

And, There is gas in diesel and diesel in gas. They are just different length carbon chains. No way to remove 100% of it.

Supposedly, refinery's are loosing money on Gas now. Diesel is what is making the money.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
One of my dealers recommends running higher octane fuel in mowers and other equipment. I run premium diesel in my truck and notice a little bit better fuel economy than with regular diesel. As for gas in cars we try and use Shell. Once we started using Shell we noticed that we can get about 30 more miles per tank.

Whose pumping you full of BS
Premium diesel? their is only one diesel fuel #2D, Their is a non winterized diesel, but it only lacks the ant-gel. Both #2D's contain the same fuel lubricants & cetane number minimal 54

Jason Rose
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM

This is something you are going to have to research locally on your own. I found out that one of my customers is a dispatcher for a fuel trucking company, so I hit her with the questions. I found out that, of the whole 2 different "brands" of gasoline available in our town (yes many gas stations, but all are either one brand or the other).

The one has been advertising 10% ethanol in their "mid-grade", and there's a sticker on the pump, in the middle, where it's at. Now that would lead you to assume that the reg. and the preimum had no ethanol. Nope... They are sneaky, and the 10% ethanol sticker that appears to be for the midgrade only is actually goes for all 3 grades. So that means that at those stations all 3 have 10% etahnol. Now, the other brand of gas available still has ethanol free premium available, though the reg. and mid-grade has it, but it's not posted on the pumps, so it has to be 6% or less.

Does the ethanol effect fuel economy, hell yes. I can vouch for that. I just took a 400 mile trip in my truck this weekend, and for a good long time now I haven't been able to get more than even 15 mpg from it on the highway. Before I left I filled up with the known ethanol free premium fuel and I was able to make almost 18 mpg on this trip. That's the best I've gotten in years! Now, I maintained my speed at 70/71 mph for 95% of the trip with the cruise, about 5mph slower than I usually travel, but if 5 mph less can make up an almost 3 mpg increase, I think I'll slow down a little more! I'm betting that the fuel had more to do with it though.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2008, 11:23 PM
You need to do your own fuel analysis to determine the exact Ethanol %. Each fuel company add's their own fuel additive package's.

txgrassguy
06-18-2008, 12:11 AM
I know Stihl recommend mid range to premium fuel in their 4-mix units.
No way I am running thirteen of these things on more expensive fuel and after 3+ years of 450 hrs/yr on most of my hand helds I haven't noticed a problem.
Now, in my S-Type Jag, anything other than 93 octane and this car complains worse than my ex-wife.

topsites
06-18-2008, 12:23 AM
I run premium because it runs better, longer.

Specific benefits on carbureted cars I have seen fuel mileage improve, on a fuel injected application it tends to depend on what the computer is tuned for... On my equipment I see less broken recoil ropes, and it's easier to start.

Richard Martin
06-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Supposedly, refinery's are loosing money on Gas now. Diesel is what is making the money.

If you go back and look at the barrel price vs. price we pay at the pump and then look at the same ratio now you'll see where they probably are loosing money right now. Of course the ratio should rise on a curve and not linear in order to maintain 40 bil profits. Also, a huge portion of that 40 bil profits doesn't and never did come from fuel sales. Petro-chemical sales account for huge profits too. Only about 50% of a barrel of oil becomes gasoline.

Crude costs about $3.33 per gallon right now. If you assume that gallon will become gas you've got $3.33 for the crude, add in 40 cents for state and federal taxes (around 40 cents), the costs to refine, administrative costs, pipeline costs to the tanks farms, tank farm costs, distributor costs and service station profits.

It's not hard to see that gasoline should cost about the same as diesel right now.

johnnie5
06-18-2008, 07:29 AM
its all trial and error between fuels

up until recently had an isuzu 3.5l v6 2004 model

we have 3 grades of fuel here , 91 , 95 and 98

i would fill the tank and this is when the fuel low light would light

91 400k
95 420k
98 380k

the 98 being a higher density would end up using more fuel

try them all over several tanks and use what works for you, there is no hard and fast rule , trial and error is the only way

ATL Lawn
06-18-2008, 03:15 PM
anyone run E85 in equipment before?

ProStreetCamaro
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I run 110 octane leaded fuel

In my race car

spooln6
06-18-2008, 05:53 PM
It true about the refineries making their money on diesel. We are selling gasoline at a discounted rate just to get rid of it so we can keep rates up and make diesel.

About the premium diesel, there is some truck stops that sell it. I'm not sure of the cetane rating but they are usually close to 60. I have never ran it b/c it is uncommone around here but have heard of some that have and noticed a difference from a performance stand point. I don't know who or how they up the cetane rating though.

mowerbrad
06-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Whose pumping you full of BS
Premium diesel? their is only one diesel fuel #2D, Their is a non winterized diesel, but it only lacks the ant-gel. Both #2D's contain the same fuel lubricants & cetane number minimal 54

The "premium" diesel had certain additives that others lack. From what I read while filling up it said that it increases fuel economy by up to 5% and had additives that prevents geling (in winter) and helps keep the engine cleaner.

lifetree
06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Is it a chinese made one? I saw one last week. Nice!

Yes, it's Chinese ... and it is a nice one !!

lifetree
06-24-2008, 08:41 PM
... I got a 50cc Scooter last that gets 105 MPG ...

I need to correct myself on this now that I've been using for a couple of weeks ... it gets 110 MPG, not 105 !!

lifetree
06-24-2008, 08:47 PM
... I just took a 400 mile trip in my truck this weekend, and for a good long time now I haven't been able to get more than even 15 mpg from it on the highway. Before I left I filled up with the known ethanol free premium fuel and I was able to make almost 18 mpg on this trip. That's the best I've gotten in years! Now, I maintained my speed at 70/71 mph for 95% of the trip with the cruise, about 5mph slower than I usually travel, but if 5 mph less can make up an almost 3 mpg increase, I think I'll slow down a little more! I'm betting that the fuel had more to do with it though.

I'm not sure about that, I remember 30 years ago (I'm dating myself) during the oil embargo and fuel conservation was the big rage ... they said that the optimal speed for a car was 55 MPH (i.e.-that's why they changed the speed limit to 55) !! If you went faster than that you significantly donwgraded the performance of the engine in terms of gas consumption.

lifetree
06-24-2008, 08:50 PM
I run 110 octane leaded fuel ...

Is that the standard for race cars ?? Leaded gas instead of unleaded ??

milo
06-24-2008, 08:50 PM
in newer trucs like 99 and newer higher octane may give poorer gas mileage than lower octane. now in older trucks like 94 and older high octane might make mileage a little better.

milo
06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Is that the standard for race cars ?? Leaded gas instead of unleaded ??

no, lead gas runs cooler and lead raises octane alot. but vp racing gas smells great... worth running in your handhead items just for the smell and in the small handheld equipment you will feel more power with racing gas

nosparkplugs
06-24-2008, 09:05 PM
This is just crazy, here's a link to Wikipedia, on Octane , While it's bye no means the "holy grail" of knowledge it's more than some know on here on this issue, and a good start to learning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating