PDA

View Full Version : Unhealthy for the grass???

lawnranger44
01-04-2002, 11:32 AM
Just the other day a lady asked me to mow her lawn, even though it looked fine. I was hesitant to take the job because I wasn't sure if mowing would be healthy for the grass during the winter months when it doesn't grow. Can mowing in the winter damage a lawn?

ohiolawnguy
01-04-2002, 11:44 AM
i think it would be ok to mow it, so long as there isnt any frost on the grass. frost can have a tendency to leave dead mower lines where the tires roll over the grass.

HOMER
01-04-2002, 12:48 PM
We do it all the time down here..........comes right back in the spring.

eslawns
01-04-2002, 02:38 PM
It shouldn't hurt it at all. I was just wondering what reason she might have for wanting it cut. I get a few calls every winter from people wanting a cut, but it's usually warm enough here that it grows some during winter. Most days are in the upper 40's. What's a typical PA day like?

fivestarlawnken
01-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Should be okay.I would just put one cut on the grass.Don't mow when the frost is on the ground,that actually breaks the blade and turns the grass a gray dark color.

lawnranger44
01-04-2002, 08:24 PM
a typical winter day here is upper 30's, the low is lower 20's.

Planter
01-04-2002, 10:58 PM
It's ok to mow when the grass is not growing. The growth points are in the crown, near the soil. Rule of thumb is to not remove more than 1/3 the blade length.

Cutting it shorter in the cool weather is ok, as the plant is nearly dormant and there is likely not enough sunlight to run up the photosynthesis rate. The need for a longer blade length is to produce the higher Ps to sustain the plant group.