PDA

View Full Version : Ramps for dump truck anyone?

padude2004
06-17-2008, 09:51 PM
What do you use to get your mowers into your dump truck, specifically 32", 36", or 48" walk behinds? does anyone use premade, manufactured systems or simply 2, 6" x 10' boards?

DuallyVette
06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I've seen some close calls using boards or other small ramps. It its not at least 5 ft wide & attached to the back of the truck permanently I wouldn't do it (again)

heather lawn sp
06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
We have a flat deck dump body. we have 2 aluminium ramps 16" wide, 1700lbs capacity each with receivers welded to the back of the deck. 5/8" by 20 " pins to lock them on.

DuallyVette
06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
We have a flat deck dump body. we have 2 aluminium ramps 16" wide, 1700lbs capacity each with receivers welded to the back of the deck. 5/8" by 20 " pins to lock them on.

This sounds like a good system. How long are the ramps, and how high is the truck bed. If its pretty steep, you can have a problem when the mower wheels enter the ramp and the mower deck hangs up on the truck bed edge, or rises to quickly. Be careful.

heather lawn sp
06-18-2008, 04:46 AM
This sounds like a good system. How long are the ramps, and how high is the truck bed. If its pretty steep, you can have a problem when the mower wheels enter the ramp and the mower deck hangs up on the truck bed edge, or rises to quickly. Be careful.

The deck is 32" its a modified pick-up truck. The ramps are 8'. The biggest trouble is clearing the blade bolts over the ramp/deck joint. The higher the deck the longer the ramp. You would have to work out the deck/ramp geometry for the situation.

DuallyVette
06-18-2008, 11:35 PM
If I was going to use a dump truck to haul mowers, I would probably put a 4 foot tall tailgate on the truck that hinges down and is suspended on chains., then attach the ramps to that. This would look kind of like a ramp truck. Saving money and risking injury will prove to be a bad decision IMHO.