PDA

View Full Version : Walker or Grasshopper?

KS_Grasscutter
06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok, so if this deal goes through, I'm gonna need another mower. I have narrowed it down to Walker and Grasshopper. I either want a MTGHS 48" or a 723 48", with a grass catcher. They will be about the same price really, maybe slightly more for the Grasshopper. The Walker will get into more gates, but I'll still either need my 42" Walker, or a 40" or so WB. The Grasshopper would be nice to put a snow plow or areavator on, while the Walker High Dump seems like the way to go too. I just cant decide, and I am NOT gonna buy one of each :laugh:

I bag 90% of the time, but the other 10% would be nice to have the option to S.D., without changing decks (and buying the other deck).

Also, anyone got a used one of either of these they wanna get rid of? The closer to here, the better.

Mowingman
06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
The Walker will be way more expensive than the Grasshopper. I believe the high-dump option is around $2000.00 installed, not including the cost of the Walker.
I ran both types in my operation. The Walker is great for smaller lawns and smooth ground. The Grasshopper works great on the larger properties and can handle rougher ground conditions than the Walker. The Walker requires a LOT more routine maintenance than the Grasshopper. Both have their place. You just need to decide which best fits your needs.

Jason Rose
06-17-2008, 10:43 PM
mowingman: Have you priced either lately? Grasshopper mowers are INSANELY expensive. I'd bet that they are close to the top on the price scale. A 223 midmount, with a 2 bag catcher is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than a MTGHS 23 hp walker! And if you want to look at the front mount Grasshoppers, well you better open the wallet for almost 2 grand more.

The hi-dump for the walker is $3,000, and that's only if you either buy it and install it yourself of order the machine from the factory with it. If you want it installed by the dealer (at least out dealer) it's about $3,800 with tax and everything.

Walker- Small compact size for the width of cut, requires slower mowing speeds to give a quality cut all the time. Harder to dump clippings into a truck bed unless you have the $3+ grand for a dump. MUCH more maintenance.

Grasshopper- Well built, cuts great in almost all conditions, dosn't like dewey grass though. Faster mowing speeds. Only a few grease zerks, engine is much more accessable for maintenance. Whole machine is MUCH larger though. Limits access into tight lawns and through gates.

nosparkplugs
06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I would get the Walker, The grasshoppers are big mowers, you'll find the grasshopper sitting on your trailer more than you may think. The Walker accepts all the attachments you want, and it's GHS system is internal not external. Every time I think I need another fast mid-mount, or large diesel front mower, I realize that a Walkers compact size, GHS, 11 decks, makes/gives it the ability to fit into small area's, and large area both. I just cannot bring myself to purchase anything else now I still an amazed a what the Walkers can do, it's the only ZTR I've owned that makes this fun again.

Mowingman
06-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Last time I checked at our local Walker dealer, that Walker was close $10,000.00. The Grasshopper was about $1000.00 less. I know everyone is going up on prices, so you are probably correct now.

Jason Rose
06-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Last time I checked at our local Walker dealer, that Walker was close $10,000.00. The Grasshopper was about $1000.00 less. I know everyone is going up on prices, so you are probably correct now.

Around here, the 223 Grasshopper with catcher and the MTGHS 23 hp walker are the same price. $9,200.00, plus tax of course.

Of course it's not comparing apples to apples, because the 223 is a 52" cut and the walker is a 48". You can get the 52" GHS deck for the walker, but there's mixed reviews as to how well it actually works...

KS_Grasscutter
06-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Around here, the 223 Grasshopper with catcher and the MTGHS 23 hp walker are the same price. $9,200.00, plus tax of course.

Of course it's not comparing apples to apples, because the 223 is a 52" cut and the walker is a 48". You can get the 52" GHS deck for the walker, but there's mixed reviews as to how well it actually works...

Yup... the 223 is like $9,200 and the 723 is $12,400 or so. Looks like when I upgrade, I'll be getting a new Walker.

Too bad I can't afford a high dump like yours :(

nosparkplugs
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM

Jason,

You have to put all the "mixed" reviews "high" prices out of the equation; regardless of the mower you choose. The Walkers compact size/maneuverability makes any advantage another mower has negated. I was at the Scag Walker dealer today looking at the Turf Tiger, and after all my attempts to justify a sweat Scag TT 61" Mid-Mount purchase, I find myself back looking at a higher HP Walker & 2 additional decks always now. When I'm purchasing a new ZTR Price is second to function, I believe you pay for what you get, and yes some mowers at a lower price are great machines, but I don't think expensive machines are overrated either if they make you money. My passion about the Walkers is based on my early unwillingness to accept that the Walkers are really that good of a mower. I look back wondering what if i would have purchased one sooner, all the money I have wasted on trying to find the right mower for us.

atasteofnature
06-18-2008, 11:08 PM
my brother in-law just bought his 48" walker for $10,000 and it stripes nice. I know he showed me the book and it has so many attachment. I could also see how that mower would not be good for big yards. He just mows average size yards and small lake yards. I have noticed a lot of company around seem to have a walker now. I know I am looking to buy a company and he owns ferris and I know I like what ferris has to offer but that is just me. Good luck with everything and have a good season.

justgreen
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I just purchased a walker GHS with the 26 hp EFI engine and initially with the 36" deck for smaller lots. The cut is second to none and I have got so many customers based on the cut outcome. I am currently looking at purchasing a larger deck as well for some larger properties and it was helpful to hear from Jason Rose that the 52" GHS had mixed reviews.....can you show me where you heard this?
However, the ease of use and the ability to change attachments makes it a desireable machine. Also, I beleive the Walker has an aerator attachment as well.

Just Green

Jason Rose
06-20-2008, 10:40 PM
the 52" GHS had mixed reviews.....can you show me where you heard this?
Just Green

It was just things ive seen in reading on here... I have never actually talked to the dealer about the 52", I don't know how many, if any, he has out there and if he has gotten feedback on them. Personally I'd never use one simply because the 48" will fit thru 4 foot gates, and the purpose of my walker is for smaller lawns. The large properties I use a 61" grasshopper on.

jkelton
06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Yup... the 223 is like $9,200 and the 723 is $12,400 or so. Looks like when I upgrade, I'll be getting a new Walker.

Too bad I can't afford a high dump like yours :(

Those prices would be closer to the MSRP, not actually selling price (if so, I need to find out how they can sell them at that price). Current pricing from me on the 223/52 is $7599 and the 723/52 is $9999.

KS_Grasscutter
06-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Those prices would be closer to the MSRP, not actually selling price (if so, I need to find out how they can sell them at that price). Current pricing from me on the 223/52 is $7599 and the 723/52 is $9999.

The prices include the 8f catcher on both (which is significantly more on the midmount because of the counterweights, which are a total SCAM because they are not needed at all). I got a price of $9800 today for a 723/52 powerfold without a catcher, and 11,300 with the 8f catcher. I want it pretty bad...just wish I needed it:laugh:

Jason Rose
06-20-2008, 11:35 PM

Not too suprised really... My dealer here, ahem, former dealer, that sold my 227 61" to me is most likely selling everything at MSRP. He sells very little and dosn't do much more in service work, I'm sure he's grabbing for profit whereever he can. Of course the other dealers within 100 miles check to find who's the highest and then just knock off a couple hundred or so... Too bad we don't have a lowballer dealer around here! Pretty sad that Grasshoppers are made about an hour or so from here, and then we end up paying the highest in the country for them. Makes LOTS of sence...

KS_Grasscutter
06-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Not too suprised really... My dealer here, ahem, former dealer, that sold my 227 61" to me is most likely selling everything at MSRP. He sells very little and dosn't do much more in service work, I'm sure he's grabbing for profit whereever he can. Of course the other dealers within 100 miles check to find who's the highest and then just knock off a couple hundred or so... Too bad we don't have a lowballer dealer around here! Pretty sad that Grasshoppers are made about an hour or so from here, and then we end up paying the highest in the country for them. Makes LOTS of sence...

Yea, he'd be my former dealer, too, if he was talking crap on me to my friends/part time help.

Itsgottobegreen
06-21-2008, 12:28 AM
. Also, I beleive the Walker has an aerator attachment as well.

Just Green

yep! I got one.

KS_Grasscutter
06-21-2008, 12:29 AM
yep! I got one.

Have you used it yet? How well does it work? How do the plugs it pulls compare to that of a good WB unit?

justgreen
06-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Have you used it yet? How well does it work? How do the plugs it pulls compare to that of a good WB unit?

I am also interested in this.....as well as the price!

farmboy52787
06-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Go with a Walker, I just bought a 26HP EFI for about 10,500 with the comfort seat and heavy duty gear box, but dont get the high dump option, its not worth it. I heard it makes the machine suck on hills becaue its another 150lbs and that it will destroy the hydro pumps so you will have to replace those often. It would be a lot easier to just by a truck loader, mount it to your trailer then blow all your grass clippings and leaves right into the truck. Grasshopper mowers look big and bulky, ive seen them and i wonder how time consuming it is to unclog the blower and the house and the deck if your mowing some wet grass whereas i can unclog my walker in less than a minute and be back mowing.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-21-2008, 01:59 AM
You know that you can discharge with the walker, you jus leave the hatch open and wal lauw, the grass isnt being collected. You might have to go a lil slower since it still has to travel through the tube and fan and all, but you can still discharge. They actually make somethin to attach to the GHS to make it safe to do that.

David Gretzmier
06-21-2008, 02:04 AM
You tend to see more walkers with high hours than grasshoppers. I've had several grasshoppers, both front and mid, and all were done for around 1500 hours or so. maybe more if you baby it, but I'm no baby. I've seen walkers with 200o, 2500 hours on them going strong. good luck

nosparkplugs
06-21-2008, 12:36 PM
You tend to see more walkers with high hours than grasshoppers. I've had several grasshoppers, both front and mid, and all were done for around 1500 hours or so. maybe more if you baby it, but I'm no baby. I've seen walkers with 200o, 2500 hours on them going strong. good luck

Good point, glad to here your getting high hours of usage out of the Walkers

KS_Grasscutter
06-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I know of 2 Walkers owned by a friend of mine, that both have over 4500 hours.

I dunno, really want the Grasshopper, but it makes more sense for me to get another Walker I think.

KS_Grasscutter
06-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Well, I talked to another dealer yesterday, they only want $6999 for a 223, or $8499 for one with a catcher. That seems like a GREAT deal, compared to the price the other dealer gave me. Thinking about getting the mower now, and waiting till fall to get the bagger. Then again, I may just keep what I got until next spring...