PDA

View Full Version : WB size matters?

delphied
06-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Thinking about a WB in either 48 or 52. Which is more versatile? I hate to go small but I need a smaller mower to compliment my 66.

Danielslawnservice
06-18-2008, 12:07 AM
well if all u normally use is a 66" than i'd go 52"

Lbilawncare
06-18-2008, 01:16 AM
A lot depends on the brand you are looking at, the deck offset (cutting edge side) can differ. Also, do you have a lot of gates? I personally would go w/ the 48"

P.Services
06-18-2008, 01:17 AM
i have a 52'' scag for sale let me know if you want more info.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-18-2008, 01:24 AM
delph - need more specifics, why do you need the WB exactly? Gates? Small Residential?

If any of these, I wouldn't get a WB with such a large deck. You already have the big Z. Take a look at a 36" or 44" machine, those would be much more versatile I think, than a big deck WB.

delphied
06-18-2008, 06:55 AM
delph - need more specifics, why do you need the WB exactly? Gates? Small Residential?

If any of these, I wouldn't get a WB with such a large deck. You already have the big Z. Take a look at a 36" or 44" machine, those would be much more versatile I think, than a big deck WB.

Im going to replace my 44 Toro Proline. I need it for small to medium residential. Gates have never been an issue on any properties as of yet. I think the only reason I would go smaller than a 52 is for a better cut quality. The reason I want a WB is to be able to get at weird hills and ditch banks as well. I will also use a sulky or Pro Slide with it. Does a one wheel sulky that Exmark sells leave a tire mark in the stripe? Is a Proslide better than a sulky?

delphied
06-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Im going to replace my 44 Toro Proline. I need it for small to medium residential. Gates have never been an issue on any properties as of yet. I think the only reason I would go smaller than a 52 is for a better cut quality. The reason I want a WB is to be able to get at weird hills and ditch banks as well. I will also use a sulky or Pro Slide with it. Does a one wheel sulky that Exmark sells leave a tire mark in the stripe? Is a Proslide better than a sulky?

Do fixed decks scalp bad ?

Chris G
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
if you were only debating between the 52 and 48 and you already have a 66 i would definitely go with the 48 just because they are easier to fit in and out of gates and they are just all around more versatile

Scagguy
06-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Do fixed decks scalp bad ?

If you're going to mow yards with weird hills and ditches as you say, don't even think about a fixed deck. A floating deck is the only way to go.

delphied
06-19-2008, 10:55 AM
If you're going to mow yards with weird hills and ditches as you say, don't even think about a fixed deck. A floating deck is the only way to go.

Thats what I needed to know. What about 48 vs 52 in terms of cut quality. I would like the 52 since I have no postage stamps and gates arent an issue. Will the cut be just as good ? Is it too big to handle on the sides of slopes,etc?

topsites
06-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Hell yeah size matters!

Oh sorry, wrong track.

C&K
06-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I would recomend the tthp 48 (ultra cut) w/ 19hp kaw. We have one and it is very productive and it will make a difference in cut quality if you are mowing uneven ground. The extra 4" on a 52 can dig in on the sides a little more.

Scagguy
06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I would be hard for me to detremine that for you. I have 2 36" TTHP's and deal with rolling terrain every day. There's some properties that I think a 52" would work on, then there's others where due to some tight fits it would be a hassle. What degree of slopes are you mowing? Some of mine are 25 degrees or so and don't have any problems other than sometimes it's a little harder to get straight lines esp when wet. The cut quality of the 48" and 52" should be the same imo.

delphied
06-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I dont feel comfy at all putting my 66 ZTR on a harsh slope, although others that have looked at them say it can be done. I dont want to risk flipping and why leave burn out marks that usually happen with the big mower. I also want it for ditch banks that are mowed which I think are probably about 45 degree. My smallest lots are around 80x150 and I have no gates that wont take a 52. Thx for the responses you guys.

Lbilawncare
06-20-2008, 12:31 AM
What is wrong with your 44" Toro ? I just ordered a 40" to replace mine due to it being 15 years old and they don't make the 44" anymore.

Runner
06-20-2008, 12:41 AM
delphied, I was just at Lesco yesterday and talked to Tim who I hadn't seen in a long time. He had a trailer full of mowers, and they are letting he est of their wb's go real cheap. He had a 36" that was $2000. Brand new, full warranty. Any warranty work (if any) would be handled by Mid State Equipment. These things just don't need any work, though. Anyway, i thought of you when he told me, and I told him I'd let you know.

Chilehead
06-20-2008, 01:17 AM

Very good point. Kudos. :drinkup:

delphied
06-20-2008, 05:58 PM
delphied, I was just at Lesco yesterday and talked to Tim who I hadn't seen in a long time. He had a trailer full of mowers, and they are letting he est of their wb's go real cheap. He had a 36" that was $2000. Brand new, full warranty. Any warranty work (if any) would be handled by Mid State Equipment. These things just don't need any work, though. Anyway, i thought of you when he told me, and I told him I'd let you know.

Is that on Dort HWY?

Nickos
06-20-2008, 07:28 PM
what is TTHP

BanvilleLawnCare
06-20-2008, 09:39 PM
It is an Exmark Turf Tracer HP and I believe they come in 36'' and 48''. You learn something new everyday.:)

LawnBrother
06-20-2008, 10:17 PM
I have found the 44" to be very versatile, check out that deck size you might like it.