PDA

View Full Version : Need advice pricing lawn care business TX

WilsonLawnCare
06-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Hi everybody, just a lurker here that has learned a lot about the lawn care business in the last year from this site. Here's our story briefly. My husband and I bought a lawn care biz from his brother in May of last year. We live in a small town in TX (pop 2300) 15 miles away from a 100,000+ pop city. My husband works full time and we just do lawn care in the evenings and weekends. We absolutely love it, but a dream job/dream house opportunity is in the works and we need to sell because we won't have time to do everything that we have now. I am just looking for a fair price for everything we have, not looking to make a killing. If anyone has suggestions, please help. Here is a list of everything:

04 Chev Z71, loaded, 71,000 miles
14 foot trailer, gates on end and side, weedeater rack
05 Gravely 148Z 615 hrs
1986 Snapper 48" walk-behind, 423 hrs
33" Cub Cadet walk behind 18.5 hrs (bought '08)
Honda 21" self propelled variable speed
Stihl HT100 pole saw
MS290 Stihl chain saw
Echo hedge trimmers, 2 echo weedeaters, echo blade edger
Stihl blower vac(new 08), echo blower(new 08)
Roundup backpack sprayer

Don't really have any contracts, but about 40 + loyal customers (some weekly, some 10 days, some 2 weeks -we are pretty easy, but we will charge more the taller it is, so people have learned not to let it become a jungle and then call us!) If I can find someone trustworthy and dependable to buy this, I am pretty sure I can convince most of our people to stay. A lot of the yards are here in town, so pretty easy to get to and no time and gas expense hauling the trailer around.
Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks!

WilsonLawnCare
06-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Forgot to add that we grossed about 5000 last month,

Also, our 3 br/2bath 1927 beautiful rock house is for sale, has a garage apartment with a nice shop area (where we store our equipment and hubby works on equipment) water well, gorgeous yard.......80,000

WilsonLawnCare
06-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Little more info:

All equipment is 05 or newer, except for the 86 snapper - but that mower works and cuts great -hubby worked on it after we bought it this year from a guy who used to do lawn care but quit and then parked it in his back yard with the goats who promptly chewed all the wiring (has a sulky too)

In the last month we have turned down 8 apartment complexes and a nursing home in abilene, don't have time to do them and I hate driving to abilene, even though it is only 15 miles away.

A person or couple could make some serious money full time with this. Please someone give me some advice and remember I am not wanting to make a huge profit - just need to pay off the pickup and a little bit on all our newer eqpment

larryinalabama
06-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Wish you were out my way

WilsonLawnCare
06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Hey guys! What did I do wrong?!!!!? I was sure I would get some some kind of help from this board (thanks larryinalabama for your reply) I know I have never posted before, but every time I have a question all I have to do is search and I can find what I am looking for. No need to post. I don't have time- (chief weedeater:) , bookkeeper, customer relations, collections, sometimes mower, plus FULL-time mom to 3 kids (ages 3,10,16).

I just browsed through some of the questions yesterday, and a pretty stupid one (he even admits it) gets 15 replies.

I am begging this time for some advice on this. Thanks in advance!

JNyz
06-19-2008, 07:31 AM
25,000.00 if you are lucky, 20k to be more realistic.

DaughtryLC
06-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Is there some other comp. that you can approach in your area that might be interested in the accounts? I know if I was working in your area and full time or starting out I would be interested!

If you do find someone REALLY interested show him or her the props. and discuss business.

Just my 2.....

WilsonLawnCare
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, We talked to a friend who does this part-time here in our small town, we said 30,000, But I got to thinking, that is just for pu and equipment, not for all the accounts, and I know I can convince 80% or more of our people to stay, maybe more, probably can get contracts, but if I can get someone from our nearby(15 miles) 100,000+ city to buy , I just don't know how ro price it. But the price still stands for our friend, just waiting on financing stuff, but if that fails, I just don't know what to do

larryinalabama
06-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah, We talked to a friend who does this part-time here in our small town, we said 30,000, But I got to thinking, that is just for pu and equipment, not for all the accounts, and I know I can convince 80% or more of our people to stay, maybe more, probably can get contracts, but if I can get someone from our nearby(15 miles) 100,000+ city to buy , I just don't know how ro price it. But the price still stands for our friend, just waiting on financing stuff, but if that fails, I just don't know what to do

I thinking 40 accounts would be worth around 7000$, I dont know what all that equiptment is worth so 30 k might be the right price.

I once sold 65 accounts and some basic equiptmrnt for 10k

WilsonLawnCare
06-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks a bunch who responded, I just needed to know if I was way off base or not.

WilsonLawnCare
07-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Sold the biz to our friend, close on my 100-yr old dream home tomorrow, driving a brand new fully-loaded Jeep Commander, bought my 16 year old daughter an 07 Dodge Ram Quadcab, feel like I need to be in the looney bin because of all of the paperwork:rolleyes:

Pays off to have a lawn care biz for 13 months in dry west TX when there is no drought:drinkup:

Thanks again to those who responded!!

TPnTX
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I was about to respond and suggest that I as a business would rather spend "X" amount in advertising rather than purchasing non-contract accounts.

So at the end of the day what happened? How much did you settle for?

ALC-GregH
07-14-2008, 10:07 AM
sounds to me like you hit the lotto. Hell, I can't afford to get a truck that I NEED but you had to make out good if you can buy your 16 year old daughter a new full size truck and yourself a new Jeep plus a new home. WOW

JNyz
07-14-2008, 05:43 PM
sounds to me like you hit the lotto. Hell, I can't afford to get a truck that I NEED but you had to make out good if you can buy your 16 year old daughter a new full size truck and yourself a new Jeep plus a new home. WOW

You should be doing well. You are working in one of the best areas of the country as far as landscaping contracting goes.

ALC-GregH
07-14-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't do any landscaping type work right now. I still need to get my license to do hard-scape/landscape contract work. I have the knowledge and know how to build just about anything. I can do plumbing work, electrical work and other phases of construction work. Just need that license. I want my applicator's license too. I'd much rather be able to spray for weeds and use round-up on my clients property as it will make my job easier and faster. In time I'll have all that. I'm hoping to take any tests over the winter so I'll be ready at the beginning of next season for any and all requests. I've turned work like that away already as I'm afraid to do any work that requires a license, don't want to get in trouble. Right now I'm trying to re-coupe from all the expenses getting started just mowing. :dizzy: :dizzy:

WilsonLawnCare
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey TPnTX

We settled for a pretty nice :dancing: amount. I talked to all of our 40 plus customers and all but one, are going to use him. I had little old ladies crying when I told them we were selling, so I had to do some heavy convincing on them, but everyone else readily agreed. So, we got a little something extra ;) for all of our non-contract accounts. Yeah, I do feel like I hit the Lotto!!!!

ALC-GregH
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
congratulation's and good luck with the new home.

WilsonLawnCare
07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks Greg!! I'm gonna miss this site. I learned a lot of good stuff over the last year. Sue

scottgalat
07-17-2008, 09:16 PM
The actual value will vary with the buyers. Sell the truck elsewhere and you can lower the price. Not every buyer can lay 30k on the table The accounts have value as a stand alone entity, as well. sell the gear and you got your 30k via 3 smaller sales, for which buyers are much easier to find. If you can holdout awhile, don't price your accounts too low. $5,000 per month can be a life-changing raise for someone that's currently earning only $1,800 per month. A route earning that much is worth borrowing money from grandma to aquire.(Don't forget to pay her back...or she might not have it to borrow next time a good opportunity arises.)

JNyz
07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
The actual value will vary with the buyers. Sell the truck elsewhere and you can lower the price. Not every buyer can lay 30k on the table The accounts have value as a stand alone entity, as well. sell the gear and you got your 30k via 3 smaller sales, for which buyers are much easier to find. If you can holdout awhile, don't price your accounts too low. $5,000 per month can be a life-changing raise for someone that's currently earning only $1,800 per month. A route earning that much is worth borrowing money from grandma to aquire.(Don't forget to pay her back...or she might not have it to borrow next time a good opportunity arises.)
Please read the entire thread.

sweetz
07-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Please read the entire thread.

Seriously!!!!! I'm sick of that sh** on this & every other site!!! But, almost everyone does it!!! If you are not going to read the full thread, please do not give any of your sh***y advice. THANK YOU!