PDA

View Full Version : switching out a trimmer head

bare spot
06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
been checking out some shin products and like the look of their trimmer-heads so thinking of switching one out on a fs110. looks like it can be done, just need the parts but has anyone who did have any problems. never use a shin head but like the looks of it, looks like it would give me a better touch with trimming on certain apps (for lack of a better explanation at moment). idk, could be wrong but thanks

okeefl
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I recently changed the head on a FS100 to a shindiawa speed feed head. I had to purchase the adapter, but have had no problems.

Lawn-Sharks
06-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Don't let anyone talk you into buying the Echo U-Turn head, It's a turd! I've had constant problems with it. Shindiawa speed feed is the way to go.

bare spot
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I recently changed the head on a FS100 to a shindiawa speed feed head. I had to purchase the adapter, but have had no problems.

did u like the shin better when trimming, was it worth it, if u don't mind me asking?

swim
06-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Here is a link that will show the part numbers you need to order.
http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/support/partslists/index.php
The speed feed heads are my favorite as well.

bare spot
06-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Here is a link that will show the part numbers you need to order.
http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/support/partslists/index.php
The speed feed heads are my favorite as well.

thanks for the link, not sure what size head to use (didn't see that anywhere unless i'm missing something), for some reason think 450, but gonna go back over the book and check out the link. never used one yet but did always like the looks of the shin trimmer head (give a nice touch with use). thanks again

bare spot
06-19-2008, 02:43 AM
thanks for the link, not sure what size head to use (didn't see that anywhere unless i'm missing something), for some reason think 450, but gonna go back over the book and check out the link. never used one yet but did always like the looks of the shin trimmer head (give a nice touch with use). thanks again
double post but been going through the link and their cat and got to say shin got some nice setups and accessories for their equipment, nice.

N.TX
06-19-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a shin speed feed head.... its great to load but i dont like it that much. Im not sure what it is about it but it doesnt have the right feel when your trimming. I like the stihl head alot better im going to be switching to that soon. And yes you can find adapters for them.

swim
06-20-2008, 10:11 PM
I have used the bigger head since it came out and liked it allot. Then last fall I tried the smaller 350 head and liked it ever more. I just have to keep an extra piece of line in my pocket because it runs out allot faster. It is well worth it for the increased power you get by using the smaller head.

bare spot
06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
I have used the bigger head since it came out and liked it allot. Then last fall I tried the smaller 350 head and liked it ever more. I just have to keep an extra piece of line in my pocket because it runs out allot faster. It is well worth it for the increased power you get by using the smaller head.
haven't had chance to do much on this but were u able to use the same arbor or adapter for this (if u were switching out a stihl)?

swim
06-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Sorry I meant the 375. Yes I did use the same adapter for both heads.

bare spot
06-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Sorry I meant the 375. Yes I did use the same adapter for both heads.

that's good to hear, never used them but think i would prefer the 375 over the 450 for trimmer in mind. swim, thanks

okeefl
06-21-2008, 11:16 AM
did u like the shin better when trimming, was it worth it, if u don't mind me asking?

Absolutly worth it to me. It took a day to get used to it but well worth it when its time to reload.