PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening hedge trimmers

JPL
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a 2 sets of stihl hedge trimmers, cuts on both sides. wondering how everyone goes about sharpening them.

larryinalabama
06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I was going to post this same thing, I used to hane a feller sharpen them for 25$ but Hes not around anymore

jkason
06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Carefully.

Use a Dremel with a polishing pad & grit. Cheaper than $30/side at a dealer.

Lawn-Sharks
06-18-2008, 03:29 PM
I was woundering the samething.

petekief
06-18-2008, 03:43 PM
how much to just replace them?

jkason
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Over $100.00, IIRC.

newtostone
06-18-2008, 04:43 PM
I was just thinking the same thing, its seems we are in hedge season again. I figure ill just use a file and take my time

AWR
06-18-2008, 05:35 PM
i have a ryobi cordless grinder..works great and i can pack in my prunning job box so i have it on all the jobs

saw man
06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
1" belt sander

Ooomwizard
06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Dremel with small circular stone. Fast and easy.

david shumaker
06-18-2008, 08:21 PM
I carry some small files for pruners, loppers, trimmers, etc. Carry a larger file for touching up my mower blades while they are on the mower.

scotlykins
06-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Circular grinder

Roger
06-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer. I disassemble the bar, put each blade in the vice, and sharpen with an angle grinder (flap disk), or a hand file. I've done this for several years. It takes about 1.5-2.0 hours. I like to have the best access to the cutting surfaces, and having them in the vice gives me that advantage.

While disassembled, I am able to clean out the gear box and repack with fresh grease.

Since somebody asked the same question a year ago, when I did the work last off-season, I shot some images of the procedure. If you wish to see the images with the entire sequence, give me a PM with your e-mail address.

A new bar runs over $200, at least the last time I checked. This is the entire assembly, cutting bars, plates (top/bottom), ready to bolt back to the power head.

billslawn89
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
i have an old set for my trimmer and the last time when i was sharpening my mower blades, i took the hedge trimmer blades and use my 4 inch grinder..came out pretty good. alot easier then a file. i was also told that if you spray your hedge trimmer blades with wd-40 after using them, they will stay sharper longer because there will not be as much of build-up on the blades. i've been doing it for awhile and seems to work! :dancing:

scotlykins
06-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I have a Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer. I disassemble the bar, put each blade in the vice, and sharpen with an angle grinder (flap disk), or a hand file. I've done this for several years. It takes about 1.5-2.0 hours. I like to have the best access to the cutting surfaces, and having them in the vice gives me that advantage.

While disassembled, I am able to clean out the gear box and repack with fresh grease.

Since somebody asked the same question a year ago, when I did the work last off-season, I shot some images of the procedure. If you wish to see the images with the entire sequence, give me a PM with your e-mail address.

A new bar runs over $200, at least the last time I checked. This is the entire assembly, cutting bars, plates (top/bottom), ready to bolt back to the power head.

Man blades are expensive. I just paid $72 for one blade for my Shindaiwa 230.

dishboy
06-19-2008, 07:35 AM
i have an old set for my trimmer and the last time when i was sharpening my mower blades, i took the hedge trimmer blades and use my 4 inch grinder..came out pretty good. alot easier then a file. i was also told that if you spray your hedge trimmer blades with wd-40 after using them, they will stay sharper longer because there will not be as much of build-up on the blades. i've been doing it for awhile and seems to work! :dancing:

Spray your shrubs with water before shearing and they will even stay cleaner.

jkilov
06-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I use a cordless drill mounted cylindrical grinding stone. Makes a very very sharp finish. Once per season I also take the blades off and use my wife's precision scale to shave them to the same weight. Don't know if it's necessary, just feel better about it.

topsites
06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Funny, I have never sharpened mine.
Considering I've gone 5-6 years like that I'd just as soon buy a whole new machine.

Lbilawncare
06-21-2008, 12:24 AM
I use a DeWalt 4 1/2" grinder with a 60 grit sandpaper flap disc on it, doesn't take too much off and runs reasonably cool. I have 3 extended reach hedge trimmers, one of which only cuts thick branches like burning bushes, the other 2 cut only yews and soft cuttings. This enables me to go a long time without sharpening.