PDA

View Full Version : Echo PAS-265 attachment series review

ProStreetCamaro
06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Well this will be short for right now. It just came today along with the articulating hedge trimmer and the edger attachment. I tried both for just a couple minutes.

The PAS265 with the articulating hedge trimmer is VERY heavy (and I am a big guy). This thing has alot of reach and works very good. The blades cut through hedges like a hot knife through butter. I like being able to angle the head for those tricky places. It is very well balanced.

The PAS265 with the edger head is heavy but no more than any Stihl I have ever used. Even though the power head is not broken in yet I can already tell this unit is VERY strong. The power head has a unique tone to the exhaust. It is quieter than any Echo I have ever used.

Once I get a chance to really use it I will update this post with my thoughts. As of right now I can say it is heavy and it is very powerful and starts very easy. I think we are going to like this unit alot except for the weight.

PAS265 shipped to my door $279
Articulating trimmer attachment $258
Edger attachment $95

Next attachments will be the pole saw and trimmer

metro36
06-18-2008, 07:06 PM
I will be getting one soon. My old echo is tired after 8 years of faithful service to me and my dad. I will be getting the articulating hedge clipper and power pruner too. Sounds like echo built another good piece of equipment.

ProStreetCamaro
06-18-2008, 07:43 PM
I will be getting one soon. My old echo is tired after 8 years of faithful service to me and my dad. I will be getting the articulating hedge clipper and power pruner too. Sounds like echo built another good piece of equipment.

Did I mention that its heavy? :laugh:

The tolerances in these new engines are super tight. It has a ton of power already after only 10 minutes of run time. I can only immagine what its going to be like after 2 tank fulls.:)

Liquidfast
06-18-2008, 08:10 PM
I too have the pas265. I got it new a couple of weeks ago. I have the trimmer, tiller and hedge trimmer

The trimmer will go thru anything. The hedge trimmer is heavy but great.

I discovered a tip for the tiller. For some reason, the tiller, when used properly doesn't do that great of a job. One day, I flipped it over and magically it did a phenomenal job. I mean it became a new piece of equipment.

When soil is good, it can be used properly, but when the dirt is hard and scarce, its upside down or nothing else.

Disclaimer: Gotta be careful using it upside down or you could be sacked when it rolls towards you. OUCH.

metro36
06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I have the tiller to and the only thing I use it for is to turn my dads compost pile. It works great for that but I tried to culitvate a bed with it and it would not break the gorund. I spent $50 on a rental tiller for that job. I will have to try flipping it over.

Liquidfast
06-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I have the tiller to and the only thing I use it for is to turn my dads compost pile. It works great for that but I tried to culitvate a bed with it and it would not break the gorund. I spent $50 on a rental tiller for that job. I will have to try flipping it over.

Honestly, I HATED the tiller until I flipped it over. I thought it was a design flaw at first. Guaranteed.....in a short period of time, they will come out with something that will alllow it to be used upside down. It has made me a believer and 1 other company that HATED it also tried it flipped and were very impressed.

It takes LESS EFFORT and you just have to lightly bounce it off the ground and it will break ground easily.

ed2hess
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
We got four of them mainly for trimming hedges but newer option like the SHC-212 is lighter and guys are more productive. I don't like the edger at all it simply won't work for us and definitely not going to even try tiller(didn't know they had one). The plastic sleaves and sparcer wear out in the main unit then cable start breaking....took me a while to figure out what I needed to replace.

Happy Frog
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM
We got four of them mainly for trimming hedges but newer option like the SHC-212 is lighter and guys are more productive. I don't like the edger at all it simply won't work for us and definitely not going to even try tiller(didn't know they had one). The plastic sleaves and sparcer wear out in the main unit then cable start breaking....took me a while to figure out what I needed to replace.

Are you saying you got four PAS-265 or are you talking about the older version?

Happy Frog
06-18-2008, 11:34 PM

The hedge trimmer feel heavy, indeed. This is due mostly to the extra long reach it has.
I had to hedge for two full days and this thing killed my arms and shoulders.

The power pruner works great. I had to cut some pretty big limbs of a tree today (about 6" or 7" dia.) and it went through them easily.

The trimmer works great as well, I do most of my trimming at low rpm but when I have to go through thick grass, I hit full throttle and the thing goes right through it. :cool2:

SILVERSTREAK INC
06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
ive broken every articulating hedge trimmer attachment ive gotten for my pas-260 (3 now) and prolly the heaviest thing i cut thru is saw grass, the gear set in the swivel keep going bad

ive had my straight (non articulating) attachement on there for 3 years now and no probs other than occasional sharpening

i als have the trimmer head so i use it as a backup weedwacker when i gotta

capnsac
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
any more updates? Thinking about buying one of these today. Bump Bump Bumpppp

jkilov
02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
If you're really that much into pole pruners and hate the weight, take a look at the stihl kombi.

You can get a carbon shaft extension and a lightened bar, gearboxes are probably magnesium. All expensive but saves weight. Plus they offer more powerful engines, since 1.2hp is not much for a saw, even a pruning saw.

capnsac
02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
If you're really that much into pole pruners and hate the weight, take a look at the stihl kombi.

You can get a carbon shaft extension and a lightened bar, gearboxes are probably magnesium. All expensive but saves weight. Plus they offer more powerful engines, since 1.2hp is not much for a saw, even a pruning saw.

I am looking more at the edger attachment though. A pole pruner would be nice though.

sven1277
02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I have an older pas 260 with art. hedge clipper, pole saw (10"), brush saw, edger, and paddle broom. Its tired and I will replace it this year. I was thinking of going with the stihl kombi because the attachments connect easier, it has an extension pole, and it has a heavier duty straight shaft edger. If echo offers their new bed redefiner as an attachment, I may reconsider.

tallimeca
02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Honestly, I HATED the tiller until I flipped it over. I thought it was a design flaw at first. Guaranteed.....in a short period of time, they will come out with something that will alllow it to be used upside down. It has made me a believer and 1 other company that HATED it also tried it flipped and were very impressed.

I believe the newer tiller attachments have holes on each side of the shaft so you can lock it in both ways. Otherwise, just make one!

Echo has changed and beefed up the hca cases about a year ago. If you have one of the older ones, check the newer ones out.

As far as the stihl combi, i dont' know how much easier it can be to clip a spring loaded pin in and tighten the wing nut on the echo? Anything less then that would be a safety issue.

ECHO4LIFE
02-20-2009, 09:14 PM
If you are looking at the edgers, ECHO just released a straight shaft 90 degree version for the PAS a few weeks ago.

hefdog
12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
I use this unit primarily for the articulating hedge trimmer feature, to get to hard to reach hedges that I would need a ladder to get to. My only gripe is that with the 36" extension this baby is VERY HEAVY. It takes a lot of strength to hold it straight across to reach far. Your arms and shoulders will be sore and tired in a few minutes. Too bad Echo couldn't have lightened up this unit or come up with a way to hold the weight without killing yourself. It has a harness that is supposed to help hold the weight, but that thing is awkward and really doesn't help much. Other wise, this is a nice unit.

I will be getting the other attachments as I go along, but I'd really like to get the grass edge trimmer attachment. I'm unsure which one to get and what problems it poses. Is it awkward to use? Which edge trimmer is the easiest to use? If anybody has used this with the edge trimmer attachments, please advise and give me your thoughts.

grassman177
12-30-2009, 01:06 AM
we love echo, but when it came to get an extended reach headge trimmer, we chose stihl. it is also very heavy after a while, but i think all of them are.

the shorter versions might not be as bad, but we got the longest one made to cover our bases and have the most reach. would rather have more than not enough length.

The YardSlayer
05-15-2010, 12:28 AM
New here and to the business! I take it most of you think the pro attachment series is dependable? I was first looking at buying individual pieces because i was skeptical of attachment but i see alot of support here the PAS series

RDA
05-15-2010, 01:42 AM
I have a PAS-265 with the trimmer, straight edger, dethatcher, prosweep, brush cutter and tiller, everything works great, I believe it is a great system and very versatile. The engine is very strong, smooth and easy to start. I plan to put together the bed redefiner attachment for it as well but have been putting it off as the cost is pretty high.

Regards,

Rich

Xtreme Sealcoating
05-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I have the pas 265... I loved it at first and still may love it but... When using the trimmer if you have more than 8" of string out on either side, it gets bogged down and will barely edge a sidewalk... Other than that I do like the unit

chesterlawn
05-15-2010, 01:03 PM
I was going to get a pas 265 as my old 260 was getting tired. I saw the weight of the 265 and saw it was two pounds heavier, so I checked ebay and found a new pas260 for $240 and bought it. I'm sure it's not as powerfull as the 265, but it's no problem using it with one arm when reaching or just walking and trimming. I have both hedge trimmers, pole saw and tiller attachments and like them all.

RDA
05-15-2010, 03:43 PM
I was going to get a pas 265 as my old 260 was getting tired. I saw the weight of the 265 and saw it was two pounds heavier, so I checked ebay and found a new pas260 for $240 and bought it. I'm sure it's not as powerfull as the 265, but it's no problem using it with one arm when reaching or just walking and trimming. I have both hedge trimmers, pole saw and tiller attachments and like them all.

I would be surprised if there was truly 2lbs difference between the two. Can you weigh your PAS260 somewhat accurately (gas tank empty)? I can weigh my PAS265 to compare on my digital scales.

Regards,

Rich

Alan0354
05-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Echo stuff seem to be very heavy!!! I just came back from the dealer looking at pole saw, I saw an Echo pole saw and I casually tried to pick it up and I couldn't!!!! I am not weak, I do weights, it just surprised me how heavy it was. I then put the pole saw attachment onto a Shindaiwa M2510 and it was light, I can swing it around. Given that the Shindy is shorter and all, not a good comparison, but the difference is HUGE, I am not kidding. I few sorry for the guy that stuck with that Echo saw!!! Maybe that's the reason Echo is durable, they weight a ton!!!!

nepatsfan
05-15-2010, 05:11 PM
i used to have the pas 260. Always carb trouble on echo. I hate echo but i begrudginly bought the pas 265 because I already had the pole saw, hedge trimmers, weed whacker head and articulating trimmer attatchment. I hate it. Brand new has probably 1 hour on it. I hate echo. If I had it to do over I would buy the redmax and the new attatchments too. Echo might as well be homeowner stuff. If you love echo, you haven't tried redmax or stihl.

RDA
05-16-2010, 12:10 AM
i used to have the pas 260. Always carb trouble on echo. I hate echo but i begrudginly bought the pas 265 because I already had the pole saw, hedge trimmers, weed whacker head and articulating trimmer attatchment. I hate it. Brand new has probably 1 hour on it. I hate echo. If I had it to do over I would buy the redmax and the new attatchments too. Echo might as well be homeowner stuff. If you love echo, you haven't tried redmax or stihl.

1 hour on it and your opinion is so sound, you supported it with absolutely zero information (simply "I hate echo"). Well, I have RedMax and Stihl equipment as well as my Echo stuff and I prefer the Echo brand in general although I also love my RedMax BP blower. My experience with Stihl is less than stellar, I have had a number of issues with a chainsaw over the years that made me want to throw it off a cliff. It never ran right despite pouring tons of money into it with Stihl dealers, never liked to restart when hot, etc. My brother loves his Stihl equipment.

My biggest complaint about the PAS-265 is that it is bit heavy and if I had to use it all day, I would prefer a more svelte trimmer. The PAS-265 with trimmer head weights about 14 lbs dry, compared to the SRM-265 at 13.4 lbs dry (not a huge savings). I would personally go with an SRM-230 at 12.4 lbs dry if I had to use a trimmer more frequently or even one of the lighter trimmers that are available in a similar size.

Otherwise, the PAS-265 is great. Starts easily, reasonable economy, easy to swap attachments, tons of power, easy to modulate the throttle, durable, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the split-boom units typically for commercial use (whether Echo or Stihl) particularly if you are going to pile up the hours, I would recommend the individual pieces of equipment. But, the split boom units make it easier to afford a number of pieces of equipment for less total investment with just one engine to worry about/maintain so for a solo guy starting out or a part-time guy, they might make more sense.

Regards,

Rich

nepatsfan
05-16-2010, 07:07 AM
1 hour on it and your opinion is so sound, you supported it with absolutely zero information (simply "I hate echo"). Well, I have RedMax and Stihl equipment as well as my Echo stuff and I prefer the Echo brand in general although I also love my RedMax BP blower. My experience with Stihl is less than stellar, I have had a number of issues with a chainsaw over the years that made me want to throw it off a cliff. It never ran right despite pouring tons of money into it with Stihl dealers, never liked to restart when hot, etc. My brother loves his Stihl equipment.

My biggest complaint about the PAS-265 is that it is bit heavy and if I had to use it all day, I would prefer a more svelte trimmer. The PAS-265 with trimmer head weights about 14 lbs dry, compared to the SRM-265 at 13.4 lbs dry (not a huge savings). I would personally go with an SRM-230 at 12.4 lbs dry if I had to use a trimmer more frequently or even one of the lighter trimmers that are available in a similar size.

Otherwise, the PAS-265 is great. Starts easily, reasonable economy, easy to swap attachments, tons of power, easy to modulate the throttle, durable, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the split-boom units typically for commercial use (whether Echo or Stihl) particularly if you are going to pile up the hours, I would recommend the individual pieces of equipment. But, the split boom units make it easier to afford a number of pieces of equipment for less total investment with just one engine to worry about/maintain so for a solo guy starting out or a part-time guy, they might make more sense.

Regards,

Rich
I had the pas 260. I went through more carbs in the thing. The motor is siezed in it now. I also had numerous echo trimmers. The pb650 blowers(i believe) Echo is junk. They all have carb issues, I was told because they run very lean. I have a pile of 4 junk echo trimmers behind my shop. The echo I have now......like I said i think it has an hour on it, It doesn't have any problems now but I know that p.o.s. is toast in a couple years. I didnt say anything bad about it because there is nothing bad to say yet, other than its an echo which says enough.

chesterlawn
05-16-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm not going to buy a scale, but echo site states pas 265 weighs 10.8 lbs vs pas 260 at 8.8 lbs. Also, iv'e never had any problems with echo trimmers.

Xtreme Sealcoating
05-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I have owed echo for a long time and I have nothing but accolades for them. I just retired one of my trimmers from 2003 at the end of last yr. The unit ran like a beaut for a long time with a lot of hours on, needing only normal maintenance. My only concern was that I feel as though the engine has bogged down a little and its only a little over a month old.