PDA

View Full Version : Using my Ford Escape.....

shocker5oh
06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I plan on using my ford escape to pull my 7 x 16 ft trailer...its a 6 cylinder 4x4 does anyone think this would be a horrible idea? I have plenty of time to figure out what to drive but I figure the gas will be alittle better on it

mowerbrad
06-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Pick-ups are nice because of the storage that you have in the beds. You are able to put grass, leaves, mulch, dirt, tools, etc. in the bed. It is not uncommon to see companies using commercial vans and some SUV's to pull their trailers. Pick-ups are nice because of the storage and capacities that they have but you shouldn't have any problem by using a ford escape.

shocker5oh
06-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the quick response...any pointers for a beginner? Will be starting up in spring 09 so I've got some time for planning and prepping...

Shaun13
06-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Are you sure the 6 cylinder can pull a 16ft trailer loaded with equipment?

Merlin300
06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure the MPG will be much better than a truck. Reason being is, the Escape will have to work HARD to pull that weight. For a truck, the weight isnt really an issue. The extra maintence with having smaller brakes may be more dollars in the long run.

Good luck in your endeaver.

Grits
06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
It'll pull it, but will it stop it?

shocker5oh
06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
So you reccomend getting a trailer with brakes???

bohiaa
06-18-2008, 06:42 PM
So you reccomend getting a trailer with brakes???

No he's telling you DONT DO IT.....

If you check the manafacture's recomand towing weight for that car.

it should give you all the answers you need to know....

P.S. I hope you have GREAT insurance because YOU WILL BE SUED.....

shocker5oh
06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey thanks pal

railman
06-18-2008, 08:05 PM
its always better and easier to use the right equipment for the job.

cgaengineer
06-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Do not use a uni-body (Without a tube frame) vehicle to pull a trailer, you will feel every single bump, jolt, and pothole in the road and I know for a fact that the reciever hitch is way too small on that Escape (1 1/4"). If you had a smaller trailer (4x5 or 4x6) maybe it would be ok.

Liendeni
06-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Those Ford Escapes are great....and the best part is that they come in a 3-Pak...and that way when one goes sh*t....you just leave it on the side of the road and break out one of the others.

Merlin300
06-18-2008, 09:21 PM
I believe in the saying cry once. Yes, a truck will be expensive. Fixing brakes, then a transmission leaves you on the side of the road, then the rear end takes a crap etc....

You end up paying way more in parts, labor, and down time. Hence, cry once not crying more than once.

ED'S LAWNCARE
06-18-2008, 09:24 PM
No NO No....
I bought an escape for my daughter, great little suv would recommend it to everyone, but not for a trailer. I hooked my 7x16 up to it to pull it down to the shop and it struggle the trailer jerked it all around. This was on my property not even on the road. For that size of a truck I would recommend nothing less than a 1/2 ton. I pull mine with a 3/4 f250 diesel.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-18-2008, 09:40 PM
shocker - I currently use my Ford Escape in my Lawn Biz BUT I only pull a 5x8 trailer with it and the 6 cyl is plenty to pull a small trailer like that without brakes. I do question the much larger trailer though. You might want to rethink that or downsize your trailer some. I believe the Escape has a 3500 lb tow capacity or at a Class II level. Not going to take much additional weight on a trailer that large to put you over the top.

I do love the Escape for the utility room with the folded down seats. One big sheet of cardboard protects the carpeting inside, and you can put your leaf blower, tools, gas cans, etc INSIDE and locked up with no fear of getting those items stolen. Big advantage over a pickup that way. Also, don't let anyone make fun of you for using your Escape. Its better than buying something and taking on debt just to haul a trailer and look cool.

KGR landscapeing
06-18-2008, 10:18 PM
ya i wouldnt pull anything more then a 10fter thats just me thou. even the 6cyl ranger with the class 3 is only rated 5k gvw

shocker5oh
06-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info, the good thing i guess is its a start up....and it wont be till 09 so if need be i need to get a truck to pull everything i will, ill tr and find a used ford or something, i had a Dodge RAM 1500 a couple years ago and it felt more like a puss then the escape does IMO...nothing is set into stone, so thats the best thing, id rather hear from the pros before trying to become a professional myself...id like to try and make as little mistakes as a newbie as possible and this forum and everyone on it have some great information

ezgoer1969
06-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Look at an aluminum trailer for lighter weight.. Plenty of used ones out there. Then again, your size recommendation of trailer will look very odd behind an escape.
I pull an aluminum 6.6' x 10' behind a Jeep Liberty with no problems.

jds720
06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I have a Isuzu Rodeo w/ a V6...and i pull a 5x10, and i also get 12 mpg on average, and my route is tight. Get a truck!!

topsites
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I think this question is confirmation of the truth within the doubt.

So, you need a real truck.

bohiaa
06-19-2008, 02:21 PM
There's NO way you could get insurance on the trailer and eupitment telling the agent that your going to pull it with that

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Ask yourself this question 'Will I take my biz into serious debt if I buy a truck this year?"
If yes, and you can get by a year with the Escape, do it. Build some earnings and plow back in for a truck next season.
But, again, you can't pull that big of a trailer with an Escape. Downsize it.

TC MOWING
06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I've got a 2001 Ford Escape. Yes, It will definitely pull a loaded 16' trailer. BUT, I would not do it because the transmission is not made to stand up to continued heavy use like that. Mine has over 190,000 miles on it with no real problems but I can tell by the way it shifts now it would not have lasted if I pulled that heavy of a trailer very often. I say stay with a pickup. Trannies are stronger in p.u's.

Green Finger
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Be careful, watch your tranny. Try to pick up an old pick up. starting out don't worry about image. Focus on getting customers and doing quality work:walking:

the angler
06-20-2008, 07:21 AM
when i turned 16 and started mowing lawns back in 96' i pulled a 16 foot trailer with a ford aerostar !!!!

its not my escape "LOCK AND LOAD"

mnglocker
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
when i turned 16 and started mowing lawns back in 96' i pulled a 16 foot trailer with a ford aerostar !!!!

its not my escape "LOCK AND LOAD"

Aerostars are unbreakable, one of my buds had one a feww years ago. We jumped it, wheeled it, burnt tires till they blew, did doughnuts, drove with no coolant, ect.... he finally got rid of it at 390,000 miles. The ignition coild died and he just wanted a new car finally.

Consider this, if you get a pick-up this will allow you to down size your trailer to a more managable size also.

And no, I would NOT dream of trying to pull anything more than a 1000lbs trailer with the Escape, you're asking for a car accident by having an undersized tow vehicle.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Per below...I pull my 5x8 with a 36" WB, 21" trimmer, and other small misc and the whole works probably goes right around 1K lbs. And I have no problem pulling the trailer at all with my Escape - stopping also does not seem to be a problem either as long as there is not an abrupt stop.

Aerostars are unbreakable, one of my buds had one a feww years ago. We jumped it, wheeled it, burnt tires till they blew, did doughnuts, drove with no coolant, ect.... he finally got rid of it at 390,000 miles. The ignition coild died and he just wanted a new car finally.

Consider this, if you get a pick-up this will allow you to down size your trailer to a more managable size also.

And no, I would NOT dream of trying to pull anything more than a 1000lbs trailer with the Escape, you're asking for a car accident by having an undersized tow vehicle.

konagold
06-20-2008, 04:45 PM
OMG, why don't you just get a foot enclosed trailer while you are at it. Just about anything can get a trailer rolling but it take more to get it to stop. Trailers are just like boats, the bigger they are the more stuff you are going to put in it. But if you must then you might want to know that if you are in an accident and you are towing a trailer that exceeds the towing limit set by the manufacture, your insurance most likely will not pay. I just hope no one dies. OHO

mnglocker
06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Per below...I pull my 5x8 with a 36" WB, 21" trimmer, and other small misc and the whole works probably goes right around 1K lbs. And I have no problem pulling the trailer at all with my Escape - stopping also does not seem to be a problem either as long as there is not an abrupt stop.

So what happens when there's an abrupt stop?

I'm pulling a 7x12' trinity 3k axle trailer that is about 1000lbs unloaded and tips the scales at 2100lbs when loaded. I'm using my 99' Dakota R/t as my primary tow vehicle. The truck is 4250lbs, I know I'm at it's limit as far as brakes and handling go with the trailer attached. Believe me though when I say I would much rather be pulling it with a Dodge or Ford 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I could stop a heck of a lot quicker and not worry about the trailer pushing the truck around corners, especially when braking.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Not so much worried about the stopping on an abrupt stop as I am my equipment getting jarred.....keep in mind it is just a 5x8 trailer with primariliy a 350 lb WB mower on it. Not serious weight, I have confidence the Escape will continue to work for me this season and can look into upgrades for next season or beyond.

Now the thread starter is talking about a much larger trailer behind an Escape....that could be problematic.

shocker5oh
06-21-2008, 02:17 AM
I think I've decided to try to fit a truck into my budget, possible a utility van...those bare, usually hold more with out having to worry about weather or theft....and if all else fails throw a blow up mattress in there and snooze...but I should prolly just keep my everyday car just that and have a work specific vehicle....I really appericiate everyone responses though

MUDFLAP
06-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Go buy yourself a new 1500 W/T, i looked at them last week while i had my dump truck at the dealership for some warranty work, they are almost giving them away, they cant sell full size trucks due to gas prices 0-down, $200 a month w/ 100,000 mile warranty. a professional looking rig, with no repair, or safety concerns, is worth $50 a week. DONTCHATHINK ?

shocker5oh
06-21-2008, 10:55 AM
We will see I don't think I want a car payment, haven't had one in 2 years...but thanks for the info...I have some time to figure out what to do...a van is looking like a good option until the business takes off

MUDFLAP
06-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Full size van is prob a good idea, just make sure its clean/late model, image is everything when your getting started,a nice ,professionally lettered rig will get your foot in the door,i dont operate a large LCO, i run 3 trucks, and have 7 employees. But i am as big as i want to be, i turn down work all the time, and i think that is in part because my equipment and crew is is neat and clean,almost all of my accts are residentials in upscale/gated communities, where image may be more important than in some other operations. And really, when you get ready to make a serious investment in a truck, you will want a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel,i know there has to be snow to push there in PA during the off season. dont want to miss out on that $$$$.But its good to hear you are planning things in advace, get legal, get insured, and you will be way ahead of the game.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-21-2008, 05:35 PM
shocker - don't let anyone talk you into debt on here if you don't want that. The only good debt is zero debt - having flashy lawn 'stuff' with a bunch of debt is just living a mirage, a pipe dream. Do you want to owe the man, or be the man:)

PlatinumLandCon
06-21-2008, 05:38 PM
MAYBE a 6x12... but I would pull MAX 5x10. That thing isn't the best for towing. If you had an explorer or expedition then I'd say you're fine.

shocker5oh
06-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Last thing I wanna do is screw up my car, the escape is paid off with less then 50k miles I will look into a ford e series van or something along those lines and make a decision....thanks everyone for there help...anything I get will be paid cash...I'd like to be the man, not owe the man....thank you DA for that one

Liendeni
06-21-2008, 10:32 PM
shocker - don't let anyone talk you into debt on here if you don't want that. The only good debt is zero debt - having flashy lawn 'stuff' with a bunch of debt is just living a mirage, a pipe dream. Do you want to owe the man, or be the man:)

I can not think of a single business that does not take on debt. It is unrealistic to think the every single person on here has paid for their equipment in cash. I actually did however but I was the extreme exception to the norm. I was fortunate enough to have money from another business to pay for all 15K of my start up fees in cash. Does this make me high and might and better than anybody else? No, not hardly.

Taking a loan out is probably the norm. Is it the best way? No, paying up front with no interest payment is the by far the best way in any situation but hardly the norm. Just don't want any news guys thinking every guy on here paid for his new equipment in cash.

Going into unjustified debt without a game plan is not smart. Having the right tools for the right job....with a little bit of debt is not a bad thing. Just make sure you dont' go over board. No debt whatsoever is unrealistic for most people...am I wrong?

Buying all the latest and greatest when first starting out is the other extreme.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-22-2008, 01:27 AM
I agree - but keep in mind debt is accepted too easily in this country this day and age. This gentleman says he will be paying cash for his purchases, and I applaud him for that. And I do think you are far better off having pd cash for your start up than those that are debt laden and may not rake a profit for years. What you did can be done by others, without resorting to debt, if they really want to get it done.

I can not think of a single business that does not take on debt. It is unrealistic to think the every single person on here has paid for their equipment in cash. I actually did however but I was the extreme exception to the norm. I was fortunate enough to have money from another business to pay for all 15K of my start up fees in cash. Does this make me high and might and better than anybody else? No, not hardly.

Taking a loan out is probably the norm. Is it the best way? No, paying up front with no interest payment is the by far the best way in any situation but hardly the norm. Just don't want any news guys thinking every guy on here paid for his new equipment in cash.

Going into unjustified debt without a game plan is not smart. Having the right tools for the right job....with a little bit of debt is not a bad thing. Just make sure you dont' go over board. No debt whatsoever is unrealistic for most people...am I wrong?

Buying all the latest and greatest when first starting out is the other extreme.

Green Team Landscaping
06-22-2008, 07:18 PM
It'll strain it if it's full of z turns, but my dad pulls around my 600lb. z with his v6 jeep no problem. you should be fine though.

rdwittmann
06-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Whatever you decide to pull the trailer with, make sure to get a transmission cooler installed. You will also want to beef up the suspension. Air shocks etc. A lot of people do not realize how hard pulling a trailer can be on a vehicle.

As far as fuel efficiency is concerned, the harder the engine has to work, the worse the fuel mileage. A 6 cyl on a half ton should do okay for what you are talking about. I would not trust the tranny on SUV.