PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 33hp Generac

spooln6
06-18-2008, 07:03 PM
I bought a 27hp DC and it can handle 90% of the stuff I go through without much of a hassle. The problem is I want to be able to go through 100% without a hassle. I contacted DC about possibly tuning the motor to run on 91 octane seeing as how it is only 7.5 compression. They recommended instead trading up for a 33hp since I only have 8 hrs on it.

My question is those who have used it what are your thoughts about it on any mower. Fuel consumption so far with the 27hp is 1.5-2 gph and thats going through thick, wet grass. How does the 33hp do and do you ever have to just creep along b/c its bogging down? I know about the premature failure problems but I'm not too worried about that since thats something I can't control. I'm not dissatisfied with the 27hp Gen but just want to hear your thoughts on the bigger version. Thanks

Lawn-Scapes
06-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I have a 72" Extreme with 33hp and I have a 74" Xcaliber with the 33hp. No complaints or troubles. I would say I cut some pretty thick & quick growing lawns and they never struggle.

I did have a 32hp on the Extreme that blew up and a 32hp on a Supreme that blew up.. both at around 3-400 hours.

Lawn-Scapes
06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh.. and I use somewhere between 1-1.5 gallons per hour.

YardBoss Lawncare
06-19-2008, 01:21 AM
I looked at a 33hp 74" Excalibar in Fairfax this Winter Zach, but I didn't demo it. I'm not familiar with that engine enough to give you any input.

Razorblades
06-19-2008, 10:45 AM
My mower has the 32 HP Generac engine on it(61" deck) and I like mine just fine. It starts easily and runs strong. In normal type cutting conditions, it uses about 1.5/1.6 GPH. I used it last week on tall, thick grass that hadn't been cut in 2 weeks, alot of it was bahia with stems from 16" to 24" tall. I did slow down some to cut this property, mainly to ensure a clean cut in one pass as much as possible. I was cutting this at 2.5 to 2.75 inches and the grass blades avg'ed 10 to 12 inches high. So I was cutting off quite a bit in one pass. Anyway, in these conditions it used 2.1 GPH, which was also the first time that I've used the 3" wide super hi lift blades. I can tell that they use a little more power than the std lift blades. So I would consider that a worst case scenario in GPH gas usage. By the way, the grass never could bog the engine down but I could overwhelm the decks ability to discharge efficiently and evenly. That's the other reason why I had to slow down some. Also, I have about 28 hrs on this oil change and it has used about 2 ounces of oil, which Is very acceptable to me. But, this engine is just starting to get broken in with only about 65 hrs on it, so I can't advise you on the reliability of it in the long term. So far, i'm well satisfied with my Generac engine and would choose it again for my needs. I can also tell you that if I had been using a 25/26 HP gas engine on the property that I mentioned above, I would have had to slow down alot more to cut at the same height and believe that it would have burned nearly as much gas, especially considering how much longer it would have taken me to do this property. (about 2.5 acres) Sorry for the long reply but I just wanted to give you my thoughts on the engine. Razorblades.

Green King
06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
I have one on a Encore Prowler it has been great! I also demoed a Bobcat today with one and was very impressed with it! There a slew of Dixie Choppers here with them and people including me love the power!