PDA

View Full Version : No love for Echo today....

jds720
06-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I bought a BRAND NEW Echo SHC-212 Hedge trimmer today for $250! I was soo excited! I finally would be able to get ride of my Troy-built multi tool! I hated that thing!!! And I bought the U-Turn head for my Echo trimmer as well! Imagine how excited a new guy like my self was!!

Well....what goes up must come down. The trimmer started up on the first pull, and i went to throttle it....blades didnt budge. :confused:
So i started tinkering, pulled the drive shaft out, checked the grease, and put it all back together, and it worked!!...for 2 min :cry:
so that killed an hour of my day...

The U-turn...less head aches? :dizzy: NO!!! ya sure easy to load, minus the fact it likes to swallow the line then you have to take it apart and string it like the original head! What crap!

Sorry Echo fans, I have no love for Echo today, maybe tomorow when they give me a new hedger, and give me my money back for U-turn:hammerhead:

Lazer_Z
06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
I bought a BRAND NEW Echo SHC-212 Hedge trimmer today for $250! I was soo excited! I finally would be able to get ride of my Troy-built multi tool! I hated that thing!!! And I bought the U-Turn head for my Echo trimmer as well! Imagine how excited a new guy like my self was!!

Well....what goes up must come down. The trimmer started up on the first pull, and i went to throttle it....blades didnt budge. :confused:
So i started tinkering, pulled the drive shaft out, checked the grease, and put it all back together, and it worked!!...for 2 min :cry:

The U-turn...less head aches? :dizzy: NO!!! ya sure easy to load, minus the fact it likes to swallow the line then you have to take it apart and string it like the original head! What crap!

Sorry Echo fans, I have no love for Echo today, maybe tomorow when they give me a new hedger, and give me my money back for U-turn:hammerhead: Shoulda went with an HS 81 T and as for the head, go get a Shindaiwa speed feed. Hope your luck turns around.

freshprince94
06-18-2008, 07:22 PM
I use a SHC-212 at my part time job. It works great but it is too short for me.

As for the U-Turn, I never really understood that. I have a rapid loader head on my SRM-210 and love it. But, I'm going orange anyways so it dosen't matter.

Good Luck.

STIHL GUY
06-18-2008, 07:46 PM
that sucks that it wasted so much time

lawnboy dan
06-18-2008, 07:58 PM
serves you right for buying crap at home depot. if you had bought from a dealer -you wouldnt have this problem except you are still buying echo which is crap -no matter how you slice it

ProStreetCamaro
06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
The bolts that hold the 2 blades together. Loosen them VERY slightly.

hockeypro1411
06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
serves you right for buying crap at home depot. if you had bought from a dealer -you wouldnt have this problem except you are still buying echo which is crap -no matter how you slice it

no, you're crap

DaughtryLC
06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I use a SHC-212 at my part time job. It works great but it is too short for me.

But, I'm going orange anyways so it dosen't matter.

Good Luck.

Me toooooo!! When the Echo's die, I replace with Orange!!!!!!!!!!!

ed2hess
06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Both of those are excellent tools.....take some time and learn how stuff works and you will be happy with them. On the Uturn I don't know how much simpler they can get:dizzy:

weve
06-18-2008, 09:46 PM

I had the same problem with a new PAS articulated hedge clipper. The clipper might do okay for five minutes and then lock up. Loosening the bolts slightly solved the problem.

Tom-N-Texas
06-18-2008, 09:49 PM

Sorry Echo fans, I have no love for Echo today, maybe tomorow when they give me a new hedger, and give me my money back for U-turn:hammerhead:

I've got one of those trimmers too...I think it does a good job.

I'm pretty sure it has a grease fitting.......granted, being new it shouldn't need any grease yet, but you might pump it full anyway...maybe the factory forgot to give it the juice.

MJS
06-18-2008, 09:58 PM
. . . except you are still buying echo which is crap -no matter how you slice it

Tell that to my trimmers and blowers which have faithfully served me problem-free for some years now. . .
No problems, ever. :walking:

J&R Landscaping
06-18-2008, 10:00 PM

You have to keep the screw end and bolt end tight but have the washers float a bit. I hated putting them things together when I worked at the dealership...what a pita!

railman
06-19-2008, 01:19 AM
im going orange too. i bought the extreme rack today and when i put the brackets to hold the trimmers and edgers the echo shafts was to small and did not fit snug so im returning my echo stuff and going orange because the shaft on the stihl fit perfect with the bracket.

Happy Frog
06-19-2008, 02:16 PM
im going orange too. i bought the extreme rack today and when i put the brackets to hold the trimmers and edgers the echo shafts was to small and did not fit snug so im returning my echo stuff and going orange because the shaft on the stihl fit perfect with the bracket.

Not sure about that... :confused:
I have an Xtreme rack as well and the brackets are fitting my PAS-265 with room to go...

Lawn-Sharks
06-19-2008, 02:44 PM

Ive posted many comment about the Echo U-Turd head "It Sucks" and a waist of money as far as I'm concerned!!!!!:cry:

Lawn-Sharks
06-19-2008, 02:48 PM

Who said he bought his equipment from the Home Repo???? you can buy Echo SRM-210 from any echo dealer.

bare spot
06-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Both of those are excellent tools.....take some time and learn how stuff works and you will be happy with them. On the Uturn I don't know how much simpler they can get:dizzy:

picking up that hedge trimmer tom.

lawnboy dan
06-20-2008, 07:55 AM
first off he had a troy built multi tool-from a big box store as this pos isnt sold else where-second he could have returned his defective echo unit to dealer for replacement/ adjustment.

topsites
06-20-2008, 09:19 AM
I did buy an Echo srm-260s once, and it ran good for a few years, which that appears normal for my trimmers...
But all my stuff is orange, too.

tallimeca
06-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Me toooooo!! When the Echo's die, I replace with Orange!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny you say that because echo has be slowly changing back to their original orange color.....hahaha.

Point 1) Where did you buy it? If you didn't buy it from a dealer who assembled and prepped it for you, serves you right to have to hassel with it. Because if you bought it at home depot, it's not a model that should be used on a commercial trailor........PERIOD.

Point 2) Out of the box, the blades need to be lubed, and you have to check the washer adjustment. This is also something that needs to be done on a day to day basis. Out of the box, you have let the machine power up on part choke to purge the air out. If you started it, slammed the choke off and sat there wondering why the thing is laboring, and the blades aren't turning, i'm not surprised.

grassman177
06-20-2008, 10:51 PM
man there are some really negative folks out there, i too can be but gosh.

echo is fine equipment, used them for 26 years now with very few problems and lots of hours on every piece.

i got a u turn head a few weeks ago and it is easy to use, though i did notice it does not hold quite as much string as the original did, but ok. it is not hard to use, either you are equipment ******ed or it may have a problem. ask the dealer!

hedge trimmers are finicky , the blade bolts are more than likely too tight and not lubed, ours lock up from time to time fro that reason alone. we do however have better luck with the stihl hedge trimmers i might add.

ALC-GregH
06-21-2008, 12:05 AM
After using my 210 for all these years, I decided to stick with Echo for most everything. I did however buy a SH85D shreader/vac since the rating was better then the Echo. On the other hand, I wanted to stick with Echo trimmers and wanted a PAS unit and bought the PAS230 with a edger and spare string trimmer. After using it a day or so, I felt it was under powered for what I'd need it for so I called the dealer and asked if he would take it back and get me a PAS265. Well, it came in today and once it fired up, I knew I was going to be happy. That thing with the edger attachment will slice right through turfed over edges and not miss a beat. Trimming was awesome with all the extra power the 265 has over the 230. I think I'll be happy with the Echo power unit.

Frue
06-21-2008, 06:58 AM

thats exacly what was wrong!

jds720
06-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Yep it was the bolts, to tight! dang rookie!

ALC-GregH
06-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Glad you figured out how to use your new Echo hedger. :) So does this mean you have "love" for your new Echo today? :D

I hate the fact that I have to wait until next week to use my 265 again. I've trimmed, cut, wacked and chopped everything I could at home, I just can't get enough. LOL

jds720
06-21-2008, 04:37 PM
me and echo are ok now, it did a great job

South Florida Lawns
06-21-2008, 05:41 PM

Yeah that's what your problem is. I got 2 commercial echos that I never use, a backpack blower and an edger. I got them both for free and they are crap. Spend some money and get a Stihl, Shindowa, or Redmax. You might spend more but it will make the biggest difference in the long run.

Happy Frog
06-21-2008, 11:17 PM
So much BS...
It is like there is no middle. For most of you guys, either the equipment is great or it is total crap...
Echo equipment is like any other. It is as good as any if you use it the way it is supposed to be... :hammerhead: