PDA

View Full Version : A first with a 521

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Using the 521 today I had the ground wire on the common and the red wire on the zone wire and on settings 3&4 it kicked on the valve but not on settings 1,2,&5. Don't recall ever having the 521 turn on a valve before.

Wet_Boots
06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I usually use earth ground when using a detector.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-18-2008, 09:11 PM

what are you talking about?

aren't you always supposed to ground with the earth on the black with that funky screw driver??

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-18-2008, 09:12 PM

I always start that way but I was flushing out a difficult one with a secondary method.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-18-2008, 09:14 PM
what are you talking about?

aren't you always supposed to ground with the earth on the black with that funky screw driver??

After you track the wire path using the normal ground method you can then ground the zone wire and put the red on the common. This will cause them to cancel each other out. After you pass the valve the zone wire is attached to the null and sound will start up again.

Wet_Boots
06-18-2008, 09:16 PM
There's plenty of juice in a detector, so solenoid operation is certainly possible. I can't envision a whole lot of benefit from not using earth ground, with some water to help it out, if necessary. For one thing, using two wires in a multiconductor cable might lead to a signal cancelling itself out. I always get a clarion blast when I find the solenoid.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
After you track the wire path using the normal ground method you can then ground the zone wire and put the red on the common. This will cause them to cancel each other out. After you pass the valve the zone wire is attached to the null and sound will start up again.

Mind= blown....

very nice peter..i dont fully understand what your saying, but ill re read it a few times and let it sink in..

what do you mean by "ground the zone wire" hook black up to zone common and red to the wire in trace question?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
There's plenty of juice in a detector, so solenoid operation is certainly possible. I can't envision a whole lot of benefit from not using earth ground, with some water to help it out, if necessary.

That's cuz you manifold people are peons compared to us Texans when it comes to 521 usage skills.:p

Wet_Boots
06-18-2008, 09:29 PM
That's cuz you manifold people are peons compared to us Texans when it comes to 521 usage skills.:pWe peons are smart enough not to put an 80 volt square wave across a solenoid. Why a solenoid doesn't announce itself, I do wonder.

The general idea in the locating process is for the wire to sort of become an antenna, radiating to your receiver. Grounding it out is something I don't need to do. I cannot recall a time I sent a signal into a solenoid, and couldn't hear its location.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-18-2008, 09:31 PM
We peons are smart enough not to put an 80 volt square wave across a solenoid. Why a solenoid doesn't announce itself, I do wonder.

The general idea in the locating process is for the wire to sort of become an antenna, radiating to your receiver. Grounding it out is something I don't need to do. I cannot recall a time I sent a signal into a solenoid, and couldn't hear its location.

now that we are talking about the 521, can someone please explain how to determine depth?

Wet_Boots
06-18-2008, 09:53 PM
now that we are talking about the 521, can someone please explain how to determine depth?I don't use a 521.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't use a 521.

you dont even do irrigation anymore do you?

Wet_Boots
06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
you dont even do irrigation anymore do you?Thanks heaps. Just for that, you don't get to know what works better than a 521, and gives you precise depths.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks heaps. Just for that, you don't get to know what works better than a 521, and gives you precise depths.

me= totally joking bootz.....you are one of the few here that I have the upmost respect for and have learned much from...

pwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeez! *trucewhiteflag*

greenmonster304
06-18-2008, 10:16 PM
now that we are talking about the 521, can someone please explain how to determine depth?

to find the depth you find the center of the null, turn the reciver 180 degrees from the wire path (mark the path), angle the reciever 45 degrees with the receiver tip on the ground until the bubble is in the circle, then back away from the path (the tone should then sound) until you hear the null again and the distace between the end of the receiver and your mark should be the depth.

Wet_Boots
06-18-2008, 10:21 PM
to find the depth you find the center of the null, turn the reciver 180 degrees from the wire path (mark the path), angle the reciever 45 degrees with the receiver tip on the ground until the bubble is in the circle, then back away from the path (the tone should then sound) until you hear the null again and the distace between the end of the receiver and your mark should be the depth.Ding-ding-ding-ding!!! We have the answer. That 45-degree trick gives you the depth.pwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeez!Doesn't matter, they're too obscure to even show up on eBay (none to be seen today) so you aren't missing anything.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-18-2008, 10:31 PM
If you use that hound dog I pity you.

Wet_Boots
06-18-2008, 10:39 PM
If you use that hound dog I pity you.Ain't tellin' ~ besides, it's one of those brand names that gives you weird results when you search. Like searching for loudspeakers built by Henry Blown.

evergreensolutions
06-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Ain't tellin' ~ besides, it's one of those brand names that gives you weird results when you search. Like searching for loudspeakers built by Henry Blown.

I know I know. Its the "Red Rocket Wire Finder".

Wet_Boots
06-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I know I know. Its the "Red Rocket Wire Finder".Keep guessing :)

Frick
06-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Keep guessing :)

Copper wires work better for witching sticks. :dizzy:

SprinklerGuy
06-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Only time I ever had a huge problem was when I had a solenoid that wasn't completely shorted out.....in a parking island...during a drought.....no water available.....

I blew the solenoid up w/ a neat little remote start trigger mechanism plugged into 120volts AC.....then the solenoid was toast....and I could find where the common AND the zone wire stopped...

Should have smelled it....

Waterit
06-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Only time I ever had a huge problem was when I had a solenoid that wasn't completely shorted out.....in a parking island...during a drought.....no water available.....

I blew the solenoid up w/ a neat little remote start trigger mechanism plugged into 120volts AC.....then the solenoid was toast....and I could find where the common AND the zone wire stopped...

Should have smelled it....

I once used a pigtail left over from a hardwired SL to do the same thing after fruitless hours of searching for a solenoid in a wooded area - worked great, but did have to put out small brush fire:dizzy: