PDA

View Full Version : Luke warm water

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Man, what are some ideas to keep my water cold. I make 6 ice cubes that are the size of a mardi gras cup. I stick those in a 5 gallon water cooler and then after the first house, all the ice is gone. And the water isnt even that cold. What do you guys do to keep your water cool. What kinda coolers you guys using?

FIREMAN Q
06-18-2008, 09:19 PM
I use a 5 gallon jug. I fill it up completely with ice and then I will add the water on top. it will usually last 2 days or so. stop into one of your local fire houses. they usually have ice machines and MAY let you get some everyday. otherwise bagged ice or if you have an ice maker in your fridge?
maybe some tupperware containers that are a little bigger for bigger blocks?

CHoniglandscapes
06-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I freeze 5 regular size gatorade bottles overnight and stick them in a reg cooler. They stay ice cold all day long. also I will freeze a gallon of water and keep a room temp gallon of water to add to the frozen one, this also will stay ice cold all day for me.

Supper Grassy
06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Get bags that seal tight and fill them with water and freeze them, you then have larger ice cubes

Optimum Lawn
06-18-2008, 09:27 PM
get a water jug with the insulated soft jacket that you can unzip from the plastic jug...mine is about 1 gallon in size. Take the jug and half fill it (or more) then toss into the freezer for the night. In the morning fill with water and will stay cold for the day (if really hot out wrap jug further in a blanket)
Other choice is a Camel Back drink system and do the same thing...freeze the bladder half full of water and add water in morning.

Works GREAT

nriddle77
06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Plastic cups from the gas station. I use the quart size ones. Fill them half full, and freeze them, then add to water.

okeefl
06-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I use an Igloo Maxcold and it will hold ice for a day and a half here in the South Florida sun.

Sweet Tater
06-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I use a 5 gallon jug. I fill it up completely with ice and then I will add the water on top. it will usually last 2 days or so.

This is exactly what I do too. Lasts for a few days at least.

trinity1
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
MAx cold is the only way to go I keep it in the enclosed trailer and the ice is still there day and half later. WALMART 19.99

IN2MOWN
06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I use an orange cooler from Home Depot. Fill it with 2 bags of ice, then water and its cold for 3 days. Ice stays for at least 2 days.

lzrj
06-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Combine the two best ideas. Get a Maxcold and fill it all the way to the top with ice then water. That ice cold water should last you forever.

topsites
06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
I use 5 of these:

32 ounce bottles of Gatorade (most any plastic bottle will do, but a liter)...
Fill with water, squeeze it a little then put the cap on while it is squeezed (this helps counteract the expansion once it freezes). Stick in freezer and ROTATE these in some kind of first come - first served type of order, they need at least 24 hours to freeze solid, 36 hours is better.
So the last one in has to be the last one out, rotation...

Then, to keep the cooler cold, I put one in the AM and one in the PM, replace when leaving the house and when returning, yes let it sit overnight and always keep full of water (or near). I also gauge how it is working if the ice is completely melted when I replace it... Like on very hot days sometimes I take a frozen bottle in the morning and stick it in there for 30 minutes, then take it out put it back in the freezer and stick another fresh one in there.

Now mine's a 2.5 gallon cooler, for a 5g capacity it might require more changes.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-19-2008, 03:28 AM
I use an orange cooler from Home Depot. Fill it with 2 bags of ice, then water and its cold for 3 days. Ice stays for at least 2 days.

I have one of those now and that sh!t dosent keep my water cold and it leaks. The igloo max cold with full of ice and then water sounds like a winner. I also read some place else that you can freeze an entire gallon of water with like four inches missin and then in the morning fill the rest of it with water and then it lasts all day.

greenred
06-19-2008, 03:40 AM
I know it sounds weird but I found that I didnt like my water ice cold on those heat wave days. I liked it cool - just below warm. I guess some would call it luke warm. It just seemed to go down easier, in greater volume, and the temperature difference was not such a shock to my system. I have also read articles after the fact that stated pretty much the same thing.

Then again when I wanted COLD i would get those huge bladder busters of diet pepsi. And conviently my bladder always wanted to bust right in the middle of a job after being jarred riding on a Z for an hour. Of course I had no enclosed trailer to take a leak in so I had to just suffer.

02DURAMAX
06-19-2008, 05:53 AM
I fill mine with 3Gal of water pour in some gatorade mix, then two bags of ice..and it stays cold for two days in my trailer,next time i just add ice a some more powerd for flavor as needed..

IN2MOWN
06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
I have one of those now and that sh!t dosent keep my water cold and it leaks. The igloo max cold with full of ice and then water sounds like a winner. I also read some place else that you can freeze an entire gallon of water with like four inches missin and then in the morning fill the rest of it with water and then it lasts all day.

Return it and get a new one. Mine is 5 years old and still going strong.

lawnboy dan
06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
i also freeze gator ade bottles /h20 and put them in the cooler -never have to buy ice!

k911lowe
06-19-2008, 02:19 PM
we just use a rubbermaid 5 gal cooler from Walmart and bag ice from circle K.lasts 2 days.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Return it and get a new one. Mine is 5 years old and still going strong.

Wish i could, its my dads and he got it a while back for his hunting trips i just use it like everything else, lol. Ill eventally go get me a new one so I can call it my own and not have it leak.

btnj47
06-19-2008, 09:57 PM

I use the same setup 2 bags of ice in home depot cooler top it off with 2 gallons water stays cold 3 days. the first time i did it i was suprised the next day to find it still cold and we hat 98 degree days

93Chevy
06-19-2008, 10:02 PM
I have a two gallon Rubbermaid cooler...1 gallon water/1 fresh lemon/1 fresh lime, 1 7lb bag of ice...usually lasts all day...at worst, water is still cold at the end of the day.

h400exinfl
06-19-2008, 10:10 PM
My orange cooler leaks also. I've been tinkering with the idea of getting a new one. The valve is removable so I could pull it, clean it, put a new oring in if need be, or get a new one. This decision will take months, soon winter will be here.

93Chevy
06-19-2008, 10:13 PM
They have winter in Florida?

traman
06-19-2008, 10:17 PM
you want cold ice, mix some rock salt with the water,in some cases you can get the water down to -21 .

h400exinfl
06-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Sort of a winter, it frosts once in a while. Grass doesn't grow. Some people where long pants, I'm not one of them.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Sort of a winter, it frosts once in a while. Grass doesn't grow. Some people where long pants, I'm not one of them.

Dont mess around with it man, 18.88 at walmart I jus bought an Igoo one. They didnt have the maxcold one from igloo, so i jus bought the heavy duty one. Ill see how it does. And then I bought Gerber's version of the knife that uses a razor blade. It folds up nice and small.

mngrassguy
06-20-2008, 03:38 AM
I just plug in my 12 volt elec cooler. Keeps things plenty cold.

93Chevy
06-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Dont mess around with it man, 18.88 at walmart I jus bought an Igoo one. They didnt have the maxcold one from igloo, so i jus bought the heavy duty one. Ill see how it does. And then I bought Gerber's version of the knife that uses a razor blade. It folds up nice and small.

I didn't know Gerber had a version of a folding razor knife, I'll have to check it out sometime. I'll bet it's made a lot better than all the other crap folding razor knives I've bought.:weightlifter:

Big Wes
06-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I have a 5 gal keg and it's in my enclosed trailer. I rarely put ice in it, the water is cool and refreshing, not freezing cold to the point that it hurts the fillings in your teeth or hurts your stomach.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
I didn't know Gerber had a version of a folding razor knife, I'll have to check it out sometime. I'll bet it's made a lot better than all the other crap folding razor knives I've bought.:weightlifter:

Yeah man, 9.76 or somethin at walmart, stainless steel handle, 2.2 ounces, sh!t it has a limited lifetime warrenty. Heres some pics.

93Chevy
06-20-2008, 08:28 PM
That looks pretty dinky for a Gerber...and no blade storage...

Hmm...

Thanks for the pic.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-21-2008, 02:45 AM
I think its made pretty good. Its solid. Has a locking blade. Its nice. No problem.

93Chevy
06-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I guess I can't make a judgement without actually seeing it for myself.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah man, its made good. Go take a look at it if you like gerber. See I was gonna get one of their reg. locking blade knives, but I HATE sharpin blades on a pocket knife so I saw this one and it was cheaper and takes razor blades. So now I can just get a new blade and be bac in business.

South Florida Lawns
06-21-2008, 06:13 PM
we got the rubbermaid 5 gallon orange cooler and that will keep water ICE cold for like 2 days inside the enclosed trailer.