PDA

View Full Version : WRIHT Standers

DSLND
06-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I am shopping around for a new full time mower. The lesco is just the placeholder for now.

What do you guys think about Wright Standers? I'm looking at the 48" Rapid Height. The are pricey, but I think they are worth it. My dealer quted me $7500 for the 48" with grass catcher. I would like to find a used machine.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

TwistedSister
06-19-2008, 12:25 AM
In my opinion, I think you should get the fixed deck stander. I dont own either (I do own a Wright :weightlifter:) but I have demoed both. The rapid height is NOT a floating deck like most people think. The fixed deck has larger wheels, more engine options, more powerful engines, a simpler design, is lighter, cheaper, and has had much fewer problems according to my dealer. I personally would like that fixed deck but if you change height that often, then the rapid height might be okay. There are always a few standers on ebay in the 48in range if your looking used. Wright mowers are a little more costly than others, but are built with the highest degree of quality. Just my two cents.

delphied
06-19-2008, 12:28 AM
They arent pricey when compared to buying a comparable WB with a good sulky and catcher. If you bought Exmark that set up would prolly be about the same cost.

TwistedSister
06-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I was just comparing it to other standers. You can get a Exmark Viking 36 for 4800 and a wright stander 36 for 5900 here. throw on a velke and the viking is 5100 so its not too far apart. I saw a great dane surfer for 4999. It was a 52/19 which would run 7000 plus for the wright. When you compare the return on investment though, Wrights are the way to go.

Morningside
06-19-2008, 12:42 AM
I have a 36" with the rapid height and it works great.

Mlc gmc03
06-19-2008, 12:42 AM
check your price seems high we bought a pair of 52/23hp fixed deck standers this past spring and 6300 each

TwistedSister
06-19-2008, 12:50 AM
check your price seems high we bought a pair of 52/23hp fixed deck standers this past spring and 6300 each

Thats a heck of a deal. I think RedMAx Man paid a little over 7k for that same model. I just got the quote last week. $5,899.99 for the fixed deck 36in 17HP electric start. IDK what the 15HP model is though.
maybe there just expensive in my area:confused:

Lawnut101
06-19-2008, 12:56 AM

My dealer has these same mowers for $6800 and some change. So, both our dealers are in the ballpark. I think that $7500 seems pretty high for the 48 rh. If I were you, I'd go with a fixed 52 for a lot less. What does your dealer want for one of those?

Danielslawnservice
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
i just got a sentar36" for $6800 w/ catcher

delphied
06-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I was just comparing it to other standers. You can get a Exmark Viking 36 for 4800 and a wright stander 36 for 5900 here. throw on a velke and the viking is 5100 so its not too far apart. I saw a great dane surfer for 4999. It was a 52/19 which would run 7000 plus for the wright. When you compare the return on investment though, Wrights are the way to go.

I have kinda decided to go with an Exmark Turf Tracer HP with sulky instead of the Wright. I think its more versatile and a little cheaper. I dont think the cut quality of the Exmark can be matched either.

TheBigGW
06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
The wright stander is an awesome machine i jsut got mine about a month ago. It was the BEST thing i did..Fixed deck 52 inch cut with a 23 Kawi awesome awesome. DO not get the rapid height unless you have a **** load of cutsomers and you need to ajust the blade for e4ach house. The fixed deck works great. Good luck with it. you will be very happy trust me

lawnprosteveo
06-19-2008, 11:15 PM
My dealer was selling one without the catcher for just under $6K...I think you can find it cheaper.

tallimeca
06-20-2008, 10:44 AM
the turf tracer is a proven unit. I would agree they cut better then the wright.

If you have a gravely dealer, look at the prostace stand ons. They are definetely priced better then wright and i would put them side by side any day, although the die hard wright guys will tell you otherwise. Some wright dealers are priced out of their mind because they were the only guys around. Now that there is more competition, depending on where you are, dealers have dropped their prices on Wright significantly because they started loosing sales.

freshprince94
06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Mitch:

I agree with what the other guys are saying. Get a fixed deck.

You might want to consider a 48" ZTR?

Guzman Properties
06-20-2008, 10:56 AM
I recently picked up a used 48 Wright Stander Rapid Height, electric start 19 HP Kawi with 80 hours. Came with mulching kit, extra set of blades, jungle jack and grass catcher for $4200.

Very fast machine, great cut and the rapid height deck helps getting over curbs.

DSLND
06-21-2008, 12:30 AM
I appreciate all of the relpies.

I liked the Rapid Height deck, but will try a fixed before I make my purchase.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

mattb84
06-21-2008, 03:11 AM
If you are mowing any significant percentage of steep terrain get the walkbehind. The stander definately has its place as I own one. On difficult terrain the walk behind will be more efficient.

Lawn Enforcer
06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I would tell you to get an Everride, but I know you don't have dealers close by, so go with a Wright 52" fixed deck (so it doesn't cost so much) with a 23 Kawasaki. DO NOT get 48"+ deck with a 19 hp, I mow a back lot every other week and my Everride 52" really barks with a 23 Kohler, I wish I would've bought the 23 Kawasaki, I have the 19 Kawasaki on my 34" and I think it has more torque than my 23 Kohler. So, I recommend a 52" with a 23 Kawasaki.

LawnGuy73
06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Go with the fixed deck, plus I think you were qouted a litle high on the price.

DSLND
08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
So lets discuss cut quality of these machines...

My Lesco 48", when it mows it throws the clippings out fine, but leaves little clumps here and there, nothing major, but to me its a big deal. I need a machine that will throw the clippings as clippings, not clumps. Now in wet grass I can understand clumping, but not in dry terrain.

What is so great about the fixed deck? Is it like my Lesco, drop the castors and adjust the washers?

I would like to possibly keep the Lesco for a backup, but I would like a better-built machine for what I do.

Thanks for all of your time!

-Mitch-

gdguth
08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Mtich, who is the dealer you buy from. I am from the same area as you are.

02DURAMAX
08-10-2008, 08:12 PM

My Lesco 48", when it mows it throws the clippings out fine, but leaves little clumps here and there, nothing major, but to me its a big deal. I need a machine that will throw the clippings as clippings, not clumps. Now in wet grass I can understand clumping, but not in dry terrain.

What is so great about the fixed deck? Is it like my Lesco, drop the castors and adjust the washers?

I would like to possibly keep the Lesco for a backup, but I would like a better-built machine for what I do.

-Mitch-

Get a fixed deck (Large Frame) Stronger and better engine optipons...

TPLawnPro
08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
No doubt, LCO's have a lot of really good commercial mower options out there. For us, we are currently running a Wright Stander w/ Rapid Height 36" deck as our most widely used machine. We have had this mower for just over a year and it has been one hell of performer. We are going to be purchasing a second one this fall.

If you're looking for a low maintenance, extremely well-constructed, and absolutely dependable machine; the Wright Stander is definitely a worthy option.

Where else can you find a commercial mower, with a 36" mowing deck, that has the option of being powered by an optional 19hp Kawasaki V-Twin engine? Undeniably, the standard 17hp Kawasaki V-Twin has more than enough power.

DSLND
08-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Mtich, who is the dealer you buy from. I am from the same area as you are.

Wieland's Out of Pekin. Whats your company name?

I just looked at the MSRP off Wright's website, the rapid height is actually less expensive than the traditional stander. Why is that?

-Mitch-

freshprince94
08-10-2008, 08:23 PM

-Mitch-

ZTRs seem to disperse clippings more as powder, where wbs just shoot out the clippings. I havent used a Wright, but I assume it would perform more like a Z than a walk behind.

I would sell the Lesco 48 and get a Wright 48 or 52 if you have your heart set on a Stander, no need for a 36 now that you have the Lesco 32. Like I said in the other thread, really consider eXmark, out of all the machines I've used and seen in action, the eXmark cuts and disperses clippings the best.

I have no idea about the cut height changing on the Wrights, but its probably like a walkbehind. The eXmarks with the lever adjust pretty easily, but when I was working for the company that had the eXmark we weren't supposed to change the cut height except on a few accounts.

Good Luck

gdguth
08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I would have to agree about the exmarks, leaving the best cut. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Mitch, You might consider getting a demo from German-Bliss in East Peoria, they will let you try it out.

DSLND
08-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I would have to agree about the exmarks, leaving the best cut. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Mitch, You might consider getting a demo from German-Bliss in East Peoria, they will let you try it out.

Thanks, I should try to get up there soon, I've heard good things about eXmarks.

ZTRs seem to disperse clippings more as powder, where wbs just shoot out the clippings. I havent used a Wright, but I assume it would perform more like a Z than a walk behind.

I would sell the Lesco 48 and get a Wright 48 or 52 if you have your heart set on a Stander, no need for a 36 now that you have the Lesco 32. Like I said in the other thread, really consider eXmark, out of all the machines I've used and seen in action, the eXmark cuts and disperses clippings the best.

I have no idea about the cut height changing on the Wrights, but its probably like a walkbehind. The eXmarks with the lever adjust pretty easily, but when I was working for the company that had the eXmark we weren't supposed to change the cut height except on a few accounts.

Good Luck

Thanks. I'll def. be sure to look around before I make my decision.

-Mitch-

Barefoot James
08-10-2008, 11:59 PM
My Wright 52 inch fixed deck runs circles around Exmarks (great mower though - biggest seller in USA with the best distribution in the USA - Distribution is everything) - but the Stander is just a superior unit for many reasons. They can get in and out of small spaces faster and take up much less space on a trailer - two inportant reasons - and they are very durable and trouble free - two more - speed and quality of cut - two more.

My biggest disappointment for me here in Lousiville, KY is they have no dealer - SO THEIR DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM S____KS. They promised me two years ago they would have a dealer and nothing so - hopefully they see this post. Great machine but you need better distributors or do it yourself! Pace has dropped the ball over and over. I want to get a 36 rapid height but will not until they get a solid dealer in Lousiville - not 75 miles away. Give floor stock to a reputable dealer here and let them pay when they sell units and REPAIR the damage your past dealer did (who I got mine from).

Since Wright comes to the GIE show here in Louisville in Oct (and they are a sponser of this site) they will for sure get an ear full from me.

KCfireman
08-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I was just comparing it to other standers. You can get a Exmark Viking 36 for 4800 and a wright stander 36 for 5900 here. throw on a velke and the viking is 5100 so its not too far apart. I saw a great dane surfer for 4999. It was a 52/19 which would run 7000 plus for the wright. When you compare the return on investment though, Wrights are the way to go. Thats why they call it "The Wright Way To Mow!". I wouldnt even bother to look at a great dane. NOT to bash GD users but GD just look cheap to me and thats why they sell them for cheap but yet there are thousands of more Wrights than there are GD.

hackitdown
08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I have a Great Dane 48" mower, and it has been excellent. I was considering a 48" hydro WB with sulky, then I found the GD Super Surfer floating deck (rapid height) for $5500. And right now, lesco is selling them for way less...on clearance. The productivity gains are astounding compared to a WB. Very simliar to a ZTR. But before I would ever spend $7K on any stander, I'd be buying a ZTR.

Remember, you cannot go in reverse on a WB w/sulky. This is where a ZTR or stander has a huge productivity advantage. I hop on mine on the trailer, spin it 360 degrees on the trailer, and fly down the ramp and go. No chaining up the sulky, no letting down the sulky. I can fly into tight areas, and just back right out at full speed. I can change direction instantly, and do 3 point turns. This saves loads of time.

BTW, the Gravely, Everide, and Great Dane are all the same machine. John Deere has the same machine with a Deere deck. The Wright machines are unique.

So lets think about this, what makes sense? A hydro WB for $5 or 6K? A stander for $5500? A ztr for $7500? In my opinion, the WB is clearly a bad option. The ZTR or stander is the way to go.

rogerwb
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I am shopping around for a new full time mower. The lesco is just the placeholder for now.

What do you guys think about Wright Standers? I'm looking at the 48" Rapid Height. The are pricey, but I think they are worth it. My dealer quted me $7500 for the 48" with grass catcher. I would like to find a used machine.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

I paid just under $7k including catcher. Wright has a program where the price is lower this time of year. Poke around on there website to find the off season sale prices. I have the 48" RH I which I would have bought the 36" or 42" RH
The smaller ones will get through more of the gates on my accounts.

DSLND
08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Ok, so I talked to my dealer.

Here is what I came up with (i have no clue how i got $7500 for the original estimate, it was a mistake:rolleyes:)

19hp/48" - $6450

They don't sell many of these, and are actually thinking about putting a stop to carrying the WRIGHTS, but he said if they sell it, they will fix it.

Now, this machine has been sitting in the showroom since March. I bet, if I went in with cash, I could get the mower and the grass catcher for $6500. I may think about this.

-Mitch-

heybruck34
08-12-2008, 09:51 AM
that looks like a pretty good deal for this time of year. Especially the Out The Door price- anything you buy has to figure in tax. Here in NC that's 7.5%

http://www.wrightmfg.com/uploads/files/Summary%20Page%20for%20PDF%20for%20Web%20071408.pdf

ALC-GregH
08-12-2008, 11:59 AM
What is a 05-06 Stander going for? It's a 52 Stander with a 15 or 17hp Kawasaki engine. Has new rear tires, new front spindle bushings, new blades and is in perfect condition. Any idea what they are worth? 1000hrs on the meter.

hackitdown
08-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Ok, so I talked to my dealer.

Here is what I came up with (i have no clue how i got $7500 for the original estimate, it was a mistake:rolleyes:)

19hp/48" - $6450

They don't sell many of these, and are actually thinking about putting a stop to carrying the WRIGHTS, but he said if they sell it, they will fix it.

Now, this machine has been sitting in the showroom since March. I bet, if I went in with cash, I could get the mower and the grass catcher for $6500. I may think about this.

-Mitch-

I'd still think about spending only a little more and getting a ZTR, or saving at least $1000 on a Great Dane or Gravely stander.