PDA

View Full Version : Big Test for Bad Boy Warranty!

cj4
06-19-2008, 12:44 AM
:confused:Hate to have to post this but I've ran into a problem with my Bad Boy 31hp Kawasaki. I've had it 3 wks or so and love it. The day I picked it up at the dealer he and I both noticed some new oil leaking forward of the motor. He said he had thought some oil got spilled at the factory or something like that and had washed it off but was pointing out to me that it came back. We both looked it over good and couldn't find the exact location. It appeared to be coming from the bottom of the engine but couldn't pin-point it. He said take it and keep an eye on it and let him know. Well after several times of power washing it and trying to trace it down, I discovered it was coming from the oil sending unit (may be technically called something else) on the right side of the engine. Called the dealer, he ordered it, he called me today and said the new part was in. The part didn't look exactly like mine so I stepped out to his new line and saw it was the one for the 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki. He made several calls to Bad Boy, they confirmed it would work ok on this 31hp too. He screwed it in, started it up and it leaked worse now. So we put the old one back in thinking we need to order the exact part like the one that came outta mine......it leaked just as bad now also. Come to find out the dealer pointed out to me the engine block right outside of where the part screws in was cracked!!! Sure enough it looked cracked and to me also. Appears to me the factory may have screwed it in too tight or with an impact wrench and mildly cracked it causing the slow leak and then when the dealer messed with it the leak and crack got worse.

Sooooooooo.....dealer says at least the lower sump part of the block is gonna have to be replaced. I agree. I gotta say, the dealer has offered to bring me a new 26hp to use if we can't get this thing going soon. He really has assured me that he is very concerned and will jump on this. He has always so far gone the extra mile for me so I have alot of faith in him. Now if Kawasaki and Bad Boy will just do the same. A test indeed is at hand!! I just hope I don't have to wait and wait for a rep to have to come to look at it before somebody gets something going!!!

Sure miss it already.......::cry:

M&M Mowing
06-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Gonna check my 31hp Gravely tomorrow morining! Havent noticed loosing any oil though. Hope you get your problems straightend out, you will find that the 26hp is a little easier on gas which is a plus!

cj4
06-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm sure if I use his demo I'll like the 26hp but you know how it is........you just don't feel comfortable using someone elses mower for an extended time anyway......esp when you pay over $10k (tax and accessories) for your own new one. I'm patient so far though, heck things happens..........I just expect a quick, efficient response.....hoping it's not like a car dealer/manufacturer!!!! Guess I'll see, huh?

nosparkplugs
06-19-2008, 01:17 AM
:confused:Hate to have to post this but I've ran into a problem with my Bad Boy 31hp Kawasaki. I've had it 3 wks or so and love it. The day I picked it up at the dealer he and I both noticed some new oil leaking forward of the motor. He said he had thought some oil got spilled at the factory or something like that and had washed it off but was pointing out to me that it came back. We both looked it over good and couldn't find the exact location. It appeared to be coming from the bottom of the engine but couldn't pin-point it. He said take it and keep an eye on it and let him know. Well after several times of power washing it and trying to trace it down, I discovered it was coming from the oil sending unit (may be technically called something else) on the right side of the engine. Called the dealer, he ordered it, he called me today and said the new part was in. The part didn't look exactly like mine so I stepped out to his new line and saw it was the one for the 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki. He made several calls to Bad Boy, they confirmed it would work ok on this 31hp too. He screwed it in, started it up and it leaked worse now. So we put the old one back in thinking we need to order the exact part like the one that came outta mine......it leaked just as bad now also. Come to find out the dealer pointed out to me the engine block right outside of where the part screws in was cracked!!! Sure enough it looked cracked and to me also. Appears to me the factory may have screwed it in too tight or with an impact wrench and mildly cracked it causing the slow leak and then when the dealer messed with it the leak and crack got worse.

Sooooooooo.....dealer says at least the lower sump part of the block is gonna have to be replaced. I agree. I gotta say, the dealer has offered to bring me a new 26hp to use if we can't get this thing going soon. He really has assured me that he is very concerned and will jump on this. He has always so far gone the extra mile for me so I have alot of faith in him. Now if Kawasaki and Bad Boy will just do the same. A test indeed is at hand!! I just hope I don't have to wait and wait for a rep to have to come to look at it before somebody gets something going!!!

Sure miss it already.......::cry:

Is the dealer working out of this house or a enclosed trailer?, I know that I would be pissed off, and would want a trained tech working on my engine. You should have told him he might as well get that loan mower right now; because I don't think a cracked lower block can be fixed in one day

Lawnut101
06-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Best of luck to u. But it sounds like you have a great dealer like mine. He's stepping up to the plate for you.

BryceBentleyLCS
06-19-2008, 01:31 AM
I cant wait for the end of this post.
http://comic-mint.com/media/client/0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c7873.JPG

cj4
06-19-2008, 02:06 AM
This dealer runs a hardware store, small engine shop, in a small town, family business, 2nd generation..........they've been around a long time and he seems pretty sharp. Looks to me like the lower part of the block where this is at just bolts on......never seen one tore apart personally like this one but it doesn't look too difficult.

retrodog
06-19-2008, 03:07 AM
This dealer runs a hardware store, small engine shop, in a small town, family business, 2nd generation..........they've been around a long time and he seems pretty sharp. Looks to me like the lower part of the block where this is at just bolts on......never seen one tore apart personally like this one but it doesn't look too difficult.

Keep us updated, did you get the loaner yet, prolly looking at 2 days down anyways if he is getting on the ball about it. My mechanic is fresh out of Kawa school, and he said that kawa is a little slow reacting to getting parts (going down the channels). Bad Boy is pretty good about fixing and getting reimbursed from the engine companies on some issues. We had a Briggs lock up on a customer, and instead of waiting on Briggs to decide what to do, BB jsut sent us the new motor theirselves, and I guess they fought it out with Briggs later, cause all I had to do was stick it on the mower :walking:

skinnydogz
06-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Let me say that last year I purchased my first of two Bad Boy mowers. At the end of the season I began having serious issues with the cut and how the deck was operating. I called my dealer and took it in...he agreed, called BB and said he didn't know how to fix.......one week later, mind you again this is after 4 months of use, BB sent me a brand new mower.....I was like holy shLt.....BRAND NEW no questions asked......they totally stepped up....needless to say, I needed another mower I bought a Bad Boy

zemzabob
06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
I hope it all works out for you let us know.

retrodog
06-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Let me say that last year I purchased my first of two Bad Boy mowers. At the end of the season I began having serious issues with the cut and how the deck was operating. I called my dealer and took it in...he agreed, called BB and said he didn't know how to fix.......one week later, mind you again this is after 4 months of use, BB sent me a brand new mower.....I was like holy shLt.....BRAND NEW no questions asked......they totally stepped up....needless to say, I needed another mower I bought a Bad Boy

Thats been my experience with them. I have seen them do waaay over and beyond even what they are suppossed to do. I kinda cringe sometimes when I see them do stuff like that, cause that costs them a fortune. Prolly a simple fix on the deck, or just a new deck would have fixed your problem. Mine was the one that flipped off the trailer going down the highway. They checked mine over, put a new deck, and a new front piece on it at the factory (with the castor wheels attached), and basically told me not to let it happen again just cause they heard what happened. I was just a regular customer then. I had a Cat diesel customer with a few Cat issues (very minor, just several in a row), they just brought him a new mower a couple of weeks ago with a 72 inch deck for free (he had a 60 and wanted to pay the difference on getting a 72)! Had 2 people run over something on their ZT series 60" mower, and broke their spindle, and caused a crack by the spindle housing. Both instances BB sent them a brand new deck for nothing. $700 a piece for them!! Those really would have been classified as user negligence and been an insurance claim but the factory came through for them to get a good name out there. Funny thing is, they were bought at TSC, and brought in here for fixing. Hey, were you the one with a 48" Pup that didn't cut good? What exactly was it doing? Sounds kinda crazy, I mean its 3 blades that spin, if they are set properly, and the rpms are where they are supposed to be, I just can't comprehend what it could have been doing wrong...lol. Did it have the new air baffling system on it, or was it an older series?

cj4
06-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Update:

First of all I really, really appreciate all of you guys and your concern. It's like having a family on here!! Second of all, the dealer contacted Bad Boy and they are supposedly sending a brand new complete engine today! I'll keep you all informed but sounds like you can't beat that. Well if I was them, think about it......so the engine needs a new lower sump part.......they'll get the engine back, fix it quickly and cheap and have a new engine still and a satisfied customer. They're smart!! Of course they can't put the engine on a new unit but they'll have a good market for it or maybe a replacement on hand for another issue???

nosparkplugs
06-19-2008, 10:15 PM

A new mower, Please thats either some good service or their cheap mowers to be able to just swap out units like their a Bolt or something. The most I have had ever done on a mower deck was a factory leveling, I would think if a mower is built properly it should not have to be replaced like that.

punt66
06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I saw the BB at tractor and supply last week. That has to be the ugliest ztr i have seen. hahah Looks cheap and i personally would never buy. However its good they are backing their product.

tacoma200
06-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Sounds like customer service is getting an A+

MJB
06-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Are you happy with the cut on the new ones then? No problems. Thats awesome !

retrodog
06-20-2008, 12:39 AM
I saw the BB at tractor and supply last week. That has to be the ugliest ztr i have seen. hahah Looks cheap and i personally would never buy. However its good they are backing their product.

its by far the best mower sitting in that parking lot! that is their entry level by the way...lol

MJB
06-20-2008, 12:57 AM
You know I used to bleed Walker , then Scag, then over time Grass Hopper, then Exmark, and now I am no longer blindly loyal to any 1 company. If a new mower comes out that can produce a quality cut, and nice ride to boot and have all the options I could imagine I'd ever need and save me a few bucks then I want to see this company suceed. I can't get over how many people want to talk negative about Bad Boy Mowers almost like they all hope they fail.. BB Mowers is off to a great start and if in this short amount of time can produce a product this good with service getting better every year then all the nay sayers might be eating crow when the next generation of mowers come out, and their all anxiously waiting for there new BB mower to be delivered.. Never say Never fellas, that will always come back and bite you in the butt. IMO :waving:

punt66
06-20-2008, 07:40 AM
You know I used to bleed Walker , then Scag, then over time Grass Hopper, then Exmark, and now I am no longer blindly loyal to any 1 company. If a new mower comes out that can produce a quality cut, and nice ride to boot and have all the options I could imagine I'd ever need and save me a few bucks then I want to see this company suceed. I can't get over how many people want to talk negative about Bad Boy Mowers almost like they all hope they fail.. BB Mowers is off to a great start and if in this short amount of time can produce a product this good with service getting better every year then all the nay sayers might be eating crow when the next generation of mowers come out, and their all anxiously waiting for there new BB mower to be delivered.. Never say Never fellas, that will always come back and bite you in the butt. IMO :waving:

Well if they improve the mower so it doesnt look like a plastic toy and it has proven reliability and NOT sold in big box stores then i would demo. im too busy to take a chance on a home owner mower

zemzabob
06-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Glad to see they are taking care of this keep us updated.

retrodog
06-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Well if they improve the mower so it doesnt look like a plastic toy and it has proven reliability and NOT sold in big box stores then i would demo. im too busy to take a chance on a home owner mower

Homeowner mower? Your Ferris has a 10 guage deck, our Dixon homeowner models have the same deck. Would you call 16cc parker pumps, a 2.38 guage 1/4 inch thick deck that is not welded but bent over, the absolute thickest deck on a lawnmower, the industry's largest hydrolic tank (9 quarts) with dual filters running cooler and lower pressures than everyone else, 4 11 guage 2 x 2 frame rails (one of the best framing system in the industry), 3/4 inch wheel forks. The Bad Boy is 3 times easier to work on with the fold out system. You can get a 26hp LC Kawasaki 14mph, suspension, michigan seat for $7495. You paid more than that for your IS1500 air cooled (which even the LC motor costs over $1000 more than the air cooled one). You can get the BB with a 35hp 4 cylinder diesel for $12195, and the 33.5 hp Cat from Ferris will cost you over $18000 (with an almost flimsy deck compared to the BB). Don't get me wrong, when I was looking for a second mower, I drove to Tyler to look at the Ferris cause a guy here in town had one that I rode on, I liked the ride of it around the parking lot, but I laughed when he told me the price, I thought he was joking....lol. The BB doesn't ride quiet as good, but it rides better than any mower in the market except the Ferris. The Ferris looks like a sooped up Snapper to me. The only plastic on the Bad Boy is the 18 gallon gas tanks, and the 9 quart hydro tank, the rest is all metal, and you wouldn't believe the amount of metal that is on these things, funny thing is, they are still coming in lighter than the Ferris. Sorry for the rant, you must have never looked at the Bad Boy.

tb8100
06-20-2008, 10:30 AM

where is all this plastic you're referring to? I only see 1/4", 3/16", and 1/2" steel all over the place. :waving:

Who gives a care if one model of the entry level machines is sold at TSC? Hustler set up a party rentals store a little ways from me. Does that make Hustler junk?

MJB
06-20-2008, 10:32 AM

I would never buy the the homeowner version for work either. But their commercial line looks good. I know they are a little boxy but I'm at the point where I don't care what it looks like as long as does the job I want it to do, and is reliable. At least you live close enough to put your hands on one . I'm looking at buying a Lightning 60" 26L/C Kawi, because I am sick of Exmark, Hustler, Toro, GHopper, an JDeere. Scag is not really an option either. My choices up here are now Bush Hog which is spendy and unproven , and a little underpowered, and Cub Cadet Tank M60 2007 models which I will consider because I know it cuts & stripes good, the dealer isn't bad but all the dealers are out of town 70 to 100 miles. Bad Boy is a risk, I would be buying with no local dealer support which may be an issue. I do a lot of my own repairs anyway so I am considering it.
repairs anyway.

tb8100
06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
A new mower, Please thats either some good service or their cheap mowers to be able to just swap out units like their a Bolt or something. The most I have had ever done on a mower deck was a factory leveling, I would think if a mower is built properly it should not have to be replaced like that.

trust me, it's good service. Have you ever had a company give you a new mower when you had a little problem like this? Not many companies do that these days. Obviously, it's not the most efficient way of doing business in the short run, but they're after making customers for life!

tallimeca
06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
except for the fact this is a Kawasaki issue and not a bad boy issue. I can't understand how NO ONE, commercial or consumer can understand that the ENGINE, and the MOWER are two different manufacturers, carrying two different warranties. You get TWO different manuals when you buy it.

Kawasaki has nothing to do with bad boy warranty and vice versa.

NEVER have i seen an oem pay for and engine problem on their machine. This was a big debate with many oem's last 2 seasons when they all had problems with the kohler 30's. Everyone was posting Scag sucks, Exmark sucks.......

No, Kohler is the one you blame. Doesn't mater that they put it on their mower and they are responsible and blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is, they are not and if you paid attention up front buying the machine, you would know this. Read your stated warranty policies.

I'm not bashing, just trying to give you guys some insight to understand how this works, and has worked for years and years and you might save yourself a headache.

If you bought a bobcat mower with a kohler, you can bring it to a non bobcat dealer if they are a kohler dealer. They are obligated to fix it. They don't have to do it asap, but under their dealer agreement, they are obligated to honor the warranty if it is in fact a deemed warranty issue.

Hope I helped at least 1 person. I read posts about stuff like this and guys and all flustered and are wasting their time..........

Razorblades
06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
except for the fact this is a Kawasaki issue and not a bad boy issue. I can't understand how NO ONE, commercial or consumer can understand that the ENGINE, and the MOWER are two different manufacturers, carrying two different warranties. You get TWO different manuals when you buy it.

NEVER have i seen an oem pay for and engine problem on their machine. This was a big debate with many oem's last 2 seasons when they all had problems with the kohler 30's. Everyone was posting Scag sucks, Exmark sucks.......

No, Kohler is the one you blame. Doesn't mater that they put it on their mower and they are responsible and blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is, they are not and if you paid attention up front buying the machine, you would know this. Read your stated warranty policies.

I'm not bashing, just trying to give you guys some insight to understand how this works, and has worked for years and years and you might save yourself a headache.

If you bought a bobcat mower with a kohler, you can bring it to a non bobcat dealer if they are a kohler dealer. They are obligated to fix it. They don't have to do it asap, but under their dealer agreement, they are obligated to honor the warranty if it is in fact a deemed warranty issue.

Hope I helped at least 1 person. I read posts about stuff like this and guys and all flustered and are wasting their time..........

That's true but it looks to me like all Bad Boy has done in this case is go"above and beyond" what is actually required of them in order to expedite the resolution of the customers issue with the engine. I would assume that they will then work with Kawasaki behind the scenes to get their reimbursement for the engine exchange. Last fall, Lastec did the same type of thing for me when I was having a Governor issue that was an internal engine related problem. After trying all of the external adjustments to correct it, including carrying it to an authorized engine dealer to let them check it out, Lastec sent a Factory rep down from Indiana to where I live to change out the engine on my mower. I got a brand new engine and it came with a brand new clutch and belts also. My point is that some companies will do more than is necessary to take care of their customers. Razorblades.

cj4
06-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Yes, this is very true......my problem is a Kawasaki issue, but obviously Bad Boy has some stroke to immediately send me a complete new engine with no questions asked!!! I'd bet this is a Bad Boy good cust service deal even though it didn't have to be them taking the hit. I'm not fixed yet so i'm reserving my total happiness a few days but it sure looks like it's going to be superb.

The bashing Bad Boy issue is obviously from people who hasn't had one or demo'd one and who has paid 50% more for a mower that's no better or even less of a mower......i'd be *issed too if I paid 15k for a mower when I could buy a hot Bad Boy in comparison for 10K ?????? Sorry you guys were out the money but live and learn!

punt66
06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Homeowner mower? Your Ferris has a 10 guage deck, our Dixon homeowner models have the same deck. Would you call 16cc parker pumps, a 2.38 guage 1/4 inch thick deck that is not welded but bent over, the absolute thickest deck on a lawnmower, the industry's largest hydrolic tank (9 quarts) with dual filters running cooler and lower pressures than everyone else, 4 11 guage 2 x 2 frame rails (one of the best framing system in the industry), 3/4 inch wheel forks. The Bad Boy is 3 times easier to work on with the fold out system. You can get a 26hp LC Kawasaki 14mph, suspension, michigan seat for $7495. You paid more than that for your IS1500 air cooled (which even the LC motor costs over $1000 more than the air cooled one). You can get the BB with a 35hp 4 cylinder diesel for $12195, and the 33.5 hp Cat from Ferris will cost you over $18000 (with an almost flimsy deck compared to the BB). Don't get me wrong, when I was looking for a second mower, I drove to Tyler to look at the Ferris cause a guy here in town had one that I rode on, I liked the ride of it around the parking lot, but I laughed when he told me the price, I thought he was joking....lol. The BB doesn't ride quiet as good, but it rides better than any mower in the market except the Ferris. The Ferris looks like a sooped up Snapper to me. The only plastic on the Bad Boy is the 18 gallon gas tanks, and the 9 quart hydro tank, the rest is all metal, and you wouldn't believe the amount of metal that is on these things, funny thing is, they are still coming in lighter than the Ferris. Sorry for the rant, you must have never looked at the Bad Boy.

Actually i paid $3700 for my is1500. It was a demo in 2005 and i purchased it in 05 with 120 hours on it. It got over 600 on it now trouble free and mows 63 accounts weekly. All original tires and belts. I do have new belts and tires to put on it but they are not showing signs of excessive wear. All i can comment on with BB is the one i saw in TSC. I have never seen the commercial versions. Oh yea arnt you slightly biased being your a dealer? haha

I can make a good argument why Bush is the best president ever if i throw chosen facts at you. But we all know thats BS right?

coolluv
06-20-2008, 06:06 PM

Agreed and you are right, but if a manufacture decides to put a particular brand engine on their mower then they should stand behind it. I know that is usually not the reality of it, but it doesn't make it right. If customer service matters then you should stand behind the product regardless of if you made the part or if it has its own warranty or not. When I buy a mower regardless if it is a Hustler or an Exmark, I did not buy a Kawasaki or a Kohler I purchased a Hustler or an Exmark or whatever and I would expect that company to stand behind the product and to resolve the situation.

Not hide behind the fact that Kawasaki has their own warranty. I would also expect my dealer to fight for me and to make sure that I'm made whole after all is said and done. Thats what customer service is about and thats what makes me a loyal customer, not my daddy bought Fords and his daddy bought Fords so I'm going to buy Fords. I'm not loyal to any brand or company only the ones that stand behind their products and provide fair customer service after the sale.

Dave...

nosparkplugs
06-20-2008, 10:38 PM
correct engine warranty is a separate responsibility Know what type of engine your getting also, I think the Kawasaki's have a bulletproof stereotype, fact is if a human was involved in production of installation it will break I have heard Kawasaki is slow to ship parts on their motors; an that is frustrating. Just like Kubota is slow to ship parts for their engines powering non Kubota ZTR's. Thats why IMO Kohler may not be the best motor, but I can speak fro experience their easy to fix & get parts for

cj4
06-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Wells guys, all I can say is........HIP,HIP, HORAY FOR BAD BOY.......I'm fixed with a complete brand new engine!!!! Discovered the problem Wednesday late, dealer called factory Thursday, they said it'll be taken care of........obviously OVERNIGHTED

cj4
06-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Dang....sorry....hit the wrong button and it posted before I was finished.

.....obviously the OVERNIGHTED the engine because the dealer called today (Saturday) and said it was ready to pick up.....said he got the engine Friday and it's DONE!!!! I don't know where he got the source but he said it was a $3,200 engine.

So let's recap.......down on Wed.....up on Saturday including parts shipped......what the heck does that tell ANYBODY for service these days????????????????? I am so impressed with Bad Boy and the dealer excitement that I've seen EVERWHERE, it's not only given me a RENEWED faith in business dealings and big companies, but Bad Boy (no matter if it's Kawasaki warranty or what), has turned a frightening experience to me at the onset into almost a pleasureable event!!!!! They keep this up and they can't help but be successful.

Do i regret buying a BAD BOY???? ARE YOU FRICKING KIDDING ME???????

nosparkplugs
06-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Glad to hear that Bad Boy got you up, and running again. Hope BB wants to sell mowers in Memphis some day? "besides the baby BB mowers at Tractor Supply". The closet dealer is Union City 211 miles or 2 hours drive long way for even a Demo with these fuel prices

MJB
06-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Dang....sorry....hit the wrong button and it posted before I was finished.

.....obviously the OVERNIGHTED the engine because the dealer called today (Saturday) and said it was ready to pick up.....said he got the engine Friday and it's DONE!!!! I don't know where he got the source but he said it was a $3,200 engine.

So let's recap.......down on Wed.....up on Saturday including parts shipped......what the heck does that tell ANYBODY for service these days????????????????? I am so impressed with Bad Boy and the dealer excitement that I've seen EVERWHERE, it's not only given me a RENEWED faith in business dealings and big companies, but Bad Boy (no matter if it's Kawasaki warranty or what), has turned a frightening experience to me at the onset into almost a pleasureable event!!!!! They keep this up and they can't help but be successful.

Do i regret buying a BAD BOY???? ARE YOU FRICKING KIDDING ME???????
Try to get that done that fast with any other brand mower manufacturer, and dealer. Awesome ! :weightlifter:

How comfortable are the steering handles when mowing. Do you have to push them way out from your body when mowing at 6 or 7 mph? I want a BB but it has to work for the wife an her arms hurt if they are extended to far.

MJB
06-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Glad to hear that Bad Boy got you up, and running again. Hope BB wants to sell mowers in Memphis some day? "besides the baby BB mowers at Tractor Supply". The closet dealer is Union City 211 miles or 2 hours drive long way for even a Demo with these fuel prices

Here I was about to drive 300 plus miles to look at them, and pull my trailer if I liked it. But they don't have the one in I want ,he sold out, his first 5 mowers went real fast. .....211 miles in 2 hours.... Is that with or without sparkplugs ??:waving:

retrodog
06-21-2008, 11:49 PM

I really think its worth the trip, maybe you could let the dealer meet you half way. If you had the speed and the comfort of the Bad Boy to cut your big yards with, and kept your walker for your confined and high end accounts, you would have one of the most balanced rigs out there. I am considering a Walker for the bagging capabilities and the cut is unreal, for my banks and lawyers and doctors yards, but just can't see spending that kind of money yet. A local LCO here just got a 48" GHS for nearly $12000, thats just crazy. I would rather quit the bank, buy two 30hp Command BB's for $12000, and take on Sara Lee and Kimberly Clark (industrial accounts), and make more money. I am holding out though, and my accounts look awesome with my 52" BB, just a pain to blow off the high end yards, Rumour is Bad Boy is looking into a front deck system, they are just trying to get their MTV line out this year, and then move onto the next project. If I could get a suspension machine front deck and waay over powered with the 1/4" deck, and the speed of the BB with a powerfold deck and a custom made bagging system, I will be at mowing utopia...lol

MJB
06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
I really think its worth the trip, maybe you could let the dealer meet you half way. If you had the speed and the comfort of the Bad Boy to cut your big yards with, and kept your walker for your confined and high end accounts, you would have one of the most balanced rigs out there. I am considering a Walker for the bagging capabilities and the cut is unreal, for my banks and lawyers and doctors yards, but just can't see spending that kind of money yet. A local LCO here just got a 48" GHS for nearly $12000, thats just crazy. I would rather quit the bank, buy two 30hp Command BB's for $12000, and take on Sara Lee and Kimberly Clark (industrial accounts), and make more money. I am holding out though, and my accounts look awesome with my 52" BB, just a pain to blow off the high end yards, Rumour is Bad Boy is looking into a front deck system, they are just trying to get their MTV line out this year, and then move onto the next project. If I could get a suspension machine front deck and waay over powered with the 1/4" deck, and the speed of the BB with a powerfold deck and a custom made bagging system, I will be at mowing utopia...lol

Is mulching those jobs an option? I mulch some pretty high end accts as long as it's not over fertilized and mowed weekly just have to double mow it. Shoot, you could take 1 side discharge an 1 mulcher make a pass with each and never bag a lawn. I know thats what we do here, or you can knock it down and then throw on the accelerator catcher and raise the deck and just bag whats showing on top. I guess I really hate to bag because I do this stuff all the time and it saves me time over hauling grass.

retrodog
06-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Is mulching those jobs an option? I mulch some pretty high end accts as long as it's not over fertilized and mowed weekly just have to double mow it. Shoot, you could take 1 side discharge an 1 mulcher make a pass with each and never bag a lawn. I know thats what we do here, or you can knock it down and then throw on the accelerator catcher and raise the deck and just bag whats showing on top. I guess I really hate to bag because I do this stuff all the time and it saves me time over hauling grass.

Big question. I have never mowed with a mulch kit except on a push mower. I bought the advance chute systems on my mowers, and can close up the chute, but it leaves a little trail of debris on that side of the deck in a little line, and when the grass is wet it leaves chunks when closed. I mow alot of Housing Authority, Apartments, and Industrials in which I have to mow as fast as I can with the best appearance to come out ahead on the profit. Alot of my yards want mowed every 2 weeks and are over grown when I pull up. I get caught in the rain alot mowing, and with the open shoot, it still looks really good. I am scared to pay $200 more on a mower, get the mulch kit, and not be able to mow with it on most of my yards. Am I stupid? What does your mulching kits look like mowing when you have overgrown Bahai, crabgrass, st augustine, and bermuda thats wet? Does it still look ok on the cut? Do you have to go 2mph to cut? Keep in mind that me and my guys look like we are at the Nascar races on my mowers just flying through this grass at top speed on some of my accounts will it benefit me or just slow us waaay down and cut my profits to nothing on the government bids. Sorry to take over the post, just a question I had, and never really got the chance to ask. Out of 75 mowers sold since I became a dealer, and not one customer got a mulching kit for me to check out.

nosparkplugs
06-22-2008, 12:24 AM

Regardless of the brand or type of mower I purchase next their will always be a Walker on our trailer. I have a broad spectrum of accounts: gas stations, apartment complex's, church's, HOA, residentials all require at least one Walker to pick up grass clippings, trash, etc, a mulcher would create a bigger mess, or require more labor to pick up the trash. I would love to invest in a big 60" or 72" midmout diesel, but their like a cub bear in a china cabnit, tearing up the turf, if you can stuff them in the area needed to mow sometimes too? and any speed advantge due to possible turf damage turning is negated expect for large lots more than 1 acre wide-area's? So for now I find myself happy with the Walkers compact size & 11 decks tough combo to compete with even at their higher price, and the Walkers just mow circles around these other mowers in my experience. Like I have said a piece of equipment is never to expensive if it makes you the mower payment & you a profit on top of that. The BB front mower needs to be compact like the Walker to have a chance IMO we already have the large external blower type GHS systems on the Grasshopper, John Deere F-687, etc. i speak from experience with the JD F-680 I own one there too large to be any use.

retrodog
06-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Try to get that done that fast with any other brand mower manufacturer, and dealer. Awesome ! :weightlifter:

How comfortable are the steering handles when mowing. Do you have to push them way out from your body when mowing at 6 or 7 mph? I want a BB but it has to work for the wife an her arms hurt if they are extended to far.

I really cretiqed the arm thing today while mowing my yard with 2 different BB's on my lightning with the michigan seat I scooted my seat all the way up, and to go the full 14mphs still had to extend my arms waay out, or just sit in a forward position to comfortable do the full speed. Half speed was comfortable sitting back, and I am 5'9. I also mowed on my neighbors Pup with the different seat. I was reclined waaay back in a very comfortable position with my feet outstretched and my elbows on the arms mowing just fine (just not full speed). Although it felt more comfortable sitting on the Pup, I would have to sacrifice the positioning to get the 4 wheel Suspension, and Michigan seat on the lightning. I couldn't see myself mowing these country yards 12hours a day sitting on the Pup, but I am spoiled, most of you have never even mowed on a michigan seat, or had suspension, so you guys would prolly like the 4 spring suspension seat on the pup...lol.

MJB
06-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Big question. I have never mowed with a mulch kit except on a push mower. I bought the advance chute systems on my mowers, and can close up the chute, but it leaves a little trail of debris on that side of the deck in a little line, and when the grass is wet it leaves chunks when closed. I mow alot of Housing Authority, Apartments, and Industrials in which I have to mow as fast as I can with the best appearance to come out ahead on the profit. Alot of my yards want mowed every 2 weeks and are over grown when I pull up. I get caught in the rain alot mowing, and with the open shoot, it still looks really good. I am scared to pay $200 more on a mower, get the mulch kit, and not be able to mow with it on most of my yards. Am I stupid? What does your mulching kits look like mowing when you have overgrown Bahai, crabgrass, st augustine, and bermuda thats wet? Does it still look ok on the cut? Do you have to go 2mph to cut? Keep in mind that me and my guys look like we are at the Nascar races on my mowers just flying through this grass at top speed on some of my accounts will it benefit me or just slow us waaay down and cut my profits to nothing on the government bids. Sorry to take over the post, just a question I had, and never really got the chance to ask. Out of 75 mowers sold since I became a dealer, and not one customer got a mulching kit for me to check out.

No It wouldn't work on 2 weeks growth and wet on top of that. I was talking your high end accts that are mowed weekly.I mow every week and double cut to make it look like the clippings dissapeared. But I've done it both ways with the easy chute door closed then going over it a 2nd time trying to blow the windrows down. I mulch becasue it's spread out evenly. If you had a lot of high end accts my suggestions might have worked, not saying they would circumstances vary. High end accts don't want to see you flying accross their lawn, and they are picky if they see clippings flying everywhere. Housing autority jobs are all mow an blow even up here. Nobody cares about clippings there so much.

retrodog
06-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Regardless of the brand or type of mower I purchase next their will always be a Walker on our trailer. I have a broad spectrum of accounts: gas stations, apartment complex's, church's, HOA, residentials all require at least one Walker to pick up grass clippings, trash, etc, a mulcher would create a bigger mess, or require more labor to pick up the trash. I would love to invest in a big 60" or 72" midmout diesel, but their like a cub bear in a china cabnit, tearing up the turf, if you can stuff them in the area needed to mow sometimes too? and any speed advantge due to possible turf damage turning is negated expect for large lots more than 1 acre wide-area's? So for now I find myself happy with the Walkers compact size & 11 decks tough combo to compete with even at their higher price, and the Walkers just mow circles around these other mowers in my experience. Like I have said a piece of equipment is never to expensive if it makes you the mower payment & you a profit on top of that.

No nonsense, the 48" ghs a guy here just paid $12000 for it. The Bad Boy 72" 35hp Cat diesel is $12695. I had a customer buy a new Cat the other day, and asked if i wanted to ride with him and help him mow an 8 acre huuuuuge doctors yard in our big neighborhood addition. I have never mowed on the 35hp, so I went. We mowed the 8 acre yard with a 48" and the new Cat (I was driving it). My first turn I tore a little turf, and after that I had it down. We wiped out the mowing in a little over an hour! I really was eyeballing what I mowed at 2.5 inches on the 72", and couldn't find a stalk of Bahaia sticking up. Honestly it looked like the golf course yards across the street! I was going the full 15mph. Took a few pics with my cell, but can't figure out how to put them on here. Needless to say I ordered a Cat Diesel 72" when I got back to the shop for a demo before the price increase hits. People have got to mow on this thing!!!!!!!!!! I have 8 demos set up already when the diesel comes in. I could honestly see making $200 an hour sitting on this thing at some of my industrial accounts!! As far as the High ends, they are a pain in the neck for me. I bought a bagger system, but had to take it off because it was slowing us down on the regular yards. I have to go slow and that sucks even though I make alot more for the yard. I can't afford to have an extra mower just to mow the few good ones I've got. So I make due. I mow them about every 4 days to help with the grass clippings, and bought little hand held blowers to blow off, works out alot better than the latter.

MJB
06-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Regardless of the brand or type of mower I purchase next their will always be a Walker on our trailer. I have a broad spectrum of accounts: gas stations, apartment complex's, church's, HOA, residentials all require at least one Walker to pick up grass clippings, trash, etc, a mulcher would create a bigger mess, or require more labor to pick up the trash. I would love to invest in a big 60" or 72" midmout diesel, but their like a cub bear in a china cabnit, tearing up the turf, if you can stuff them in the area needed to mow sometimes too? and any speed advantge due to possible turf damage turning is negated expect for large lots more than 1 acre wide-area's? So for now I find myself happy with the Walkers compact size & 11 decks tough combo to compete with even at their higher price, and the Walkers just mow circles around these other mowers in my experience. Like I have said a piece of equipment is never to expensive if it makes you the mower payment & you a profit on top of that. The BB front mower needs to be compact like the Walker to have a chance IMO we already have the large external blower type GHS systems on the Grasshopper, John Deere F-687, etc. i speak from experience with the JD F-680 I own one there too large to be any use.

I bought my 1st midmount Exmark 60" Lazer in 2000. I had that and my Walker on the trailer. Now 8 yrs later No Walkers I can do everyjob I have with a midmount Z. At first my homeowners were saying that won't work you have to bag, well I never lost a customer and sold both Walkers this spring. I liked having the Walkers until everyone was cool with my current setup. But I know what you mean there are some lawns where a Walker is the mower of choice, I just didn't want to work that hard anymore. The economy is such that people are looking for ways to spend less money, those were the 1st to get swapped to mulching with a 60" mower, now everyone is happy.

nosparkplugs
06-22-2008, 01:01 AM
I bought my 1st midmount Exmark 60" Lazer in 2000. I had that and my Walker on the trailer. Now 8 yrs later No Walkers I can do everyjob I have with a midmount Z. At first my homeowners were saying that won't work you have to bag, well I never lost a customer and sold both Walkers this spring. I liked having the Walkers until everyone was cool with my current setup. But I know what you mean there are some lawns where a Walker is the mower of choice, I just didn't want to work that hard anymore. The economy is such that people are looking for ways to spend less money, those were the 1st to get swapped to mulching with a 60" mower, now everyone is happy.

I'm the exact opposite I was mulching with Scag Tiger Cubs 48" velcoity, and it was a headache. I switched to the Walkers mainly for our commercial accounts, and have gained so many more high end customers that over looked our mulching sevice in our lawn maintenance routes. No BS, I have had customers walk across the street to hire us telling me they fired their previous LCO because he refused to stop mulching, and are sold on the Walker GHS cut we provide, and they had to look at daily. I advertise the Walker mower in our business adds I get calls based on the Walkers alone. Not many mowers alone can generate income like that. I'm at that point go with an all Walker fleet or purchase one 60" or 72" diesel midmount.

MJB
06-22-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm the exact opposite I was mulching with Scag Tiger Cubs 48" velcoity, and it was a headache. I switched to the Walkers mainly for our commercial accounts, and have gained so many more high end customers that over looked our mulching sevice in our lawn maintenance routes. No BS, I have had customers walk across the street to hire us telling me they fired their previous LCO because he refused to stop mulching, and are sold on the Walker GHS cut we provide, and they had to look at daily. I advertise the Walker mower in our business adds I get calls based on the Walkers alone. Not many mowers alone can generate income like that. I'm at that point go with an all Walker fleet or purchase one 60" or 72" diesel midmount.

Your right there is always those that want the grass picked up and Walker is the best bagger for small to midsize jobs. I was getting a $100 per week for a lawn I mowed in 1.25 hrs with the Walker But I had to haul off a completely full pickup of grass with high sides each week before I could go to the next job. Now I mulch that lawn double cut it in 40 minutes same $100 only 3 times as fast. My market just was to many large lawns for the Walker so I had to either downsize lawns or go with the bigger mowers. I could of grew my business either way. I chose one way you the other. Nothing wrong with either if your happy and making decent money. I know I could buy a Walker and get a ton of lawns I stay away from for the reasons you mentioned. Walkers are a good mower too my 1992 Walker I just sold it and it came out of retirement and is back working fulltime for a newby who is doing a great job. My biggest relief is now I don't have near the maintenance issues I had with Walker. Midmounts takes 2 minutes to grease or less. No dust buildup in my starters causing problems either.

nosparkplugs
06-22-2008, 01:35 AM
I agree the Walkers do require some "special attention" nothing major, but a lazy employee could care less to take the etra time to blow out the engine bay & hydo pumps or grease all the zerks. Thats one of my main concerns something a dummy could run & not hurt. The Walkers do come with a learning curve & maintenance level you have to constantly remind the employee's about.

retrodog
06-22-2008, 01:43 AM
I agree the Walkers do require some "special attention" nothing major, but a lazy employee could care less to take the etra time to blow out the engine bay & hydo pumps or grease all the zerks. Thats one of my main concerns something a dummy could run & not hurt. The Walkers do come with a learning curve & maintenance level you have to constantly remind the employee's about.

When you go check out the BB, ask the dealer to fully fold it out to show you how easy the maintenance is. I had a Grasshopper that took the dealer 1 hour and a half to change a hydro belt cause he had to take gas tank off etc, the Bad Boy has everything accessable in your yard your at mowing. Very nice when greasing, changing fluids, belts, and working on. We honestly replaced a motor on one the other day...on second thought won't post that they might lower the labor rate they pay on engine swaps....lol. Just believe no time it takes at all to do anything on the BB. You ought to see the Dixies getting worked on, they are one of the hardest we have had in the shop besides the Hopper.

cj4
06-22-2008, 05:48 AM
I've never noticed any problems with the levers being uncomfortable but I have the Michigan seat so it's adjustable I'd think for about anyone. As far as the mulch kit, I have it and love it. I have to admit i'm not doing commercial mowing for prime doctors lawns though. I can say I mowed a nice thick bermuda lawn and at it's thickest part I could see a bit of clippings but they were spread evenly throughout the deck. When I get more history behind me on the mulcher I'll report back. I have the 60" deck and I can tell you one thing for sure, the 31hp Kaw has NEVER bogged down yet.

Big Red Ferris
06-22-2008, 09:19 AM
i had a one of my 21's leaking i took it in it was the plastic aux oil drain plug on the other side of the motor i did work for johndeere and i have seen pin holes in castings thus it pushs oil there was a batch from 2005ish in jd riders and scags they were the 19-26hps

cj4
06-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, it's final......dealer delivered it today since I wasn't in town this w/e. A complete brand new 31hp Kawasaki and no leaks!! I put 6 hrs on it today and everything is fine. What a pleasant experience in dealing with my dealer and Bad Boy. Retrodog, if you know a good phone number where I can call someone important at Bad Boy and express my appreciation, please let me know.

retrodog
06-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Well, it's final......dealer delivered it today since I wasn't in town this w/e. A complete brand new 31hp Kawasaki and no leaks!! I put 6 hrs on it today and everything is fine. What a pleasant experience in dealing with my dealer and Bad Boy. Retrodog, if you know a good phone number where I can call someone important at Bad Boy and express my appreciation, please let me know.

Bad Boy's number is 866 622 3269, and the rep for Oklahoma is Derrick. I am sure he had a little hand in this, but Bill Hurst is the main man in warranty, and he prolly would be the ultimate guy to thank for the fast shipping on the motor. The dealer is supposed to go through kawasaki to get service on the engine, but sometimes the mower companies step up to plate to save the dealer and customer alot of time. Sometimes it takes weeks to get warranty work even approved through the manufactures. I ran into the problem on a Briggs motor, After 7 calls to Briggs and never talking to the right person, Bad Boy just sent a motor on their truck with some mowers. Emails are on the website for everybody, and they are all checked daily. www.badboymowers.com

cj4
06-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Thanks Retrodog. Incredible, that's the way it ought to be ya know? It shouldn't take weeks for someone to to figure out they have a problem with a product in warranty. Bad Boy must feel the same way about that!! I don't really see this as a set-back or a problem to me since they handled it so well, I'm just very thankful that i've found such a great company.