PDA

View Full Version : $5 Edging Job!

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-19-2008, 02:29 AM
I was out mowing a customer 2 weeks back and the neighbor comes over and asks me to edge theirs, too. I explain I'll do it the next week b/c I'm too far behind at the moment.

So I do it the next week. Only took 5 minutes, not big.

Today I'm out cutting and she comes over and hands me $5 and gushes thanking me for doing it. I was totally speechless and couldn't respond!

$5? You gotta be kiddin' me! We never discussed price, and I was rendered mute by the sheer audacity of her to presume that $5 would be plenty!

So I'm sending her an invoice for the other $ she owes me with a note explaining that $5 is less than it cost me to do it - and I'm not into charity work for rich folks...

Some people...

DaughtryLC
06-19-2008, 03:04 AM
ALWAYS discuss $, Before the work is done. I know first hand!!!!!!!!!!

Big C
06-19-2008, 03:06 AM
Same thing happened to me... while mowing in a subdivision 2 poeple came and asked me to edge their drive way....thats it...no blow off or nothing..just edge and go...it tooke me 5 min. total and were right across the street from where I was working...charged them $10 each.....$20 for 5 min of work... sounds good to me.

XterraJohn
06-19-2008, 03:50 AM
I was out mowing a customer 2 weeks back and the neighbor comes over and asks me to edge theirs, too. I explain I'll do it the next week b/c I'm too far behind at the moment.

Today I'm out cutting and she comes over and hands me $5 and gushes thanking me for doing it. I was totally speechless and couldn't respond!

$5? You gotta be kiddin' me! We never discussed price, and I was rendered mute by the sheer audacity of her to presume that $5 would be plenty!

So I'm sending her an invoice for the other $ she owes me with a note explaining that $5 is less than it cost me to do it - and I'm not into charity work for rich folks...

Some people...

5$ for 5 minutes of work. How much more are you planning on charging?

greenred
06-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Instead of making a enemy over five dollars why not let the matter settle and take it as a lesson learned? She could potentially become a client for more work. Just next time explain to her the cost up front. If she balks at the cost at first because of what it cost her this time - just politely explain to her that it was your fault you did not settle on a price before hand and explain to her your rates. She may not go with you for more work but most importantly you have not made a enemy by making her lose face. Good rapport with your clients neighbors is a great way to gain extra work and not have them bad mouthing about you to your client or the other neighbors who may also approach you for work.

BrIONwoshMunky
06-19-2008, 04:32 AM
Instead of making a enemy over five dollars why not let the matter settle and take it as a lesson learned? She could potentially become a client for more work. Just next time explain to her the cost up front. If she balks at the cost at first because of what it cost her this time - just politely explain to her that it was your fault you did not settle on a price before hand and explain to her your rates. She may not go with you for more work but most importantly you have not made a enemy by making her lose face. Good rapport with your clients neighbors is a great way to gain extra work and not have them bad mouthing about you to your client or the other neighbors who may also approach you for work.

I agree. Surely the cost difference isn't going to be so noticeable that the OP is going to starve.

I say chalk it up to experience, and remember to settle on prices before your foot hits the property on the job. The lady may have even thought she was doing a good thing by paying someone who was doing a quick bit of a freebie, considering money wasn't discussed previously, 'it only took 5 minutes', and she felt compelled to pay you...

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-19-2008, 04:54 AM
5$ for 5 minutes of work. How much more are you planning on charging?

$15. It'd be less if she was doing it more than once...

Instead of making a enemy over five dollars why not let the matter settle and take it as a lesson learned? ...politely explain to her that it was your fault you did not settle on a price before hand and explain to her your rates

You have a very different perspective than I do. She came and asked me to do it - without asking how much. That means "whatever it takes, I want that done!" It's not MY fault she asked for my service w/o asking price - it's hers.

And I won't burn any bridge. I'll explain that the $15 was a 1x price, but that if she wants to set something consistent up, that I can be far friendlier...

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-19-2008, 04:55 AM
'it only took 5 minutes', and she felt compelled to pay you...

She has no idea how long it took me - they weren't home when I did it...

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-19-2008, 04:56 AM
PLUS, if I let it slide now, no doubt she'll ask me to do it again (once it's all overgrown again) and EXPECT her price to stick...

johnnie5
06-19-2008, 06:01 AM
when she asked you to do it you should have told her how much it was

the invoice should have been in her mailbox when you did the job

when she paid you $5 that was when you should have said sorry its $15

suck it up as an experience and learn from it for future , when she asks you to do it again explain the actual cost is $15 and would she like you to do it COD

cpel2004
06-19-2008, 07:37 AM
I agree her actions was very rude, personally I would never just give somebody money without asking first the price of their service nor would I give someone the ok to do work with knowing how much they will charge me. But its no big deal, take the five dollars and kindly explain that you appreciate her business, and your normal charge for eding is xyz.

I would transition the conversion and ask her who maintains her lawn etc. Like one of the guys said, I would try and use it as an opportunity. Heck, maybe you wont get her but you might get a friend of hers. You never know in this business.

Carolina Cuts
06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
gonna have to agree with majority here.... Price first, work after.
Personally, I like edging peoples property and actually LOOK for potential new customers while in route .... Just last week, driving down the road of a couple customers, I notice this lawn.... great shape, green as can be... always trimmed and cut, but never edged... makes it look aweful.... homeowner is younger, obviously doesn't have an edger. Caught him outside washing his car..... pulled up, rolled down the window.. "Hey buddy.... $20- and I'll edge your sidewalks...."
it's a home run for the guy and he knows it....$20 investment will last him a couple weeks.... we were done in 10 minutes. I'll do that all day long.

Price first.

zemzabob
06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
I would let it go and if she ask again then I would tell her that you let it go the first time but it will be $15 from here on out. I think $10 would be more expectable JMO

topsites
06-19-2008, 09:49 AM
lmao, that was funny.

But you see, in order to see the humor in this you really have to have been there, done that... At least that's been my experience, which I suppose that answers the question I've had for many years, why did it have to be like this?

This isn't about bestowing down upon you the awesomeness, or maybe it is or was but...
$5 for 5 minutes, shoot that ain't so bad.
I might agree the gushing was a bit 'ahem' but other than that...
I might've stood there with the 'awww shucks' bit, no no ma'am it was nothing, $5 is too much really why I wasn't going to charge you nothing for it, and be like that (but it kinda has to come to me, I don't think forcing or faking it would be a good idea necessarily, still it's an option).

What can you do?
At this point it's like that, I would just let it go, be glad she didn't offer you a 'nice shiny quarter,' really all in all it wasn't so bad, I don't think.

Or was it?
I'd a took that $5 and bought me some big fat burger.
Heck they used to get me for 10 minutes for $5 lol!
So Yeah crap take this blessing in disguise and be glad it went as well as it did, what I would do, or might have done.

..............///////////////////
You know another part that's funny...

This is exactly the type of thing what one day spawns those sayings:
"BOY back in the olden days why we used to have to walk to school in the snow barefoot and uphill both ways" stuff...

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I''ll have to reconsider my frustration. My opinion on the matter is obviously a in the minority...

My thoughts were simply this: my costs were probably near $2 with clerical and wear/tear.

WOULD ANY OF YOU EVER DO A JOB WHERE YOU PROFITED $3?? If so, I pity you.

The only reason I want to stick her is b/c there's almost ZERO potential for picking them up. Young couple, husband takes great pride in their brand new home and lawn... Probably mortgaged to the hilt to afford it... Those folks won't hire out for YEARS, if ever...

But I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps I'll have avoided doing something rash by talking with y'all. Thanks...

Dunlaps LawnCare
06-19-2008, 10:55 AM
always have them sign something

larryinalabama
06-19-2008, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=whoopassonthebluegrass;2381519]I''ll have to reconsider my frustration. My opinion on the matter is obviously a in the minority...

My thoughts were simply this: my costs were probably near $2 with clerical and wear/tear.

The only reason I want to stick her is b/c there's almost ZERO potential for picking them up. Young couple, husband takes great pride in their brand new home and lawn... Probably mortgaged to the hilt to afford it... Those folks won't hire out for YEARS, if ever...

But I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps I'll have avoided doing something rash by talking with y'all. Thanks...[/QUOTE

Mabey she wanted to TRADE out services and you let her down so she gave you 5 bucks thinking you couldnt get it up

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Mabey she wanted to TRADE out services and you let her down so she gave you 5 bucks thinking you couldnt get it up

Haha. :laugh: If you're referencing the "services" I think you are, I'd have to label her morosely desperate...

Ooooh, look at that filthy guy covered in dog crap and grass! And look at that shaved head - I love guys who are balding prematurely! Those grease and oil stains on his clothes are just plain HOT! Maybe I can be Potiphar's wife to his Joseph! Now HOW do I get this hunk's attention? :laugh:

topsites
06-19-2008, 11:09 AM

Man you ain't right lol

Ooooh, look at that filthy guy covered in dog crap and grass! And look at that shaved head - I love guys who are balding prematurely! Those grease and oil stains on his clothes are just plain HOT! Maybe I can be Potiphar's wife to his Joseph! Now HOW do I get this hunk's attention? :laugh:

That is funny too, but as the song goes, she thinks my tractor is sexy.
Don't ask me why, or how...

SamTheLawnMan
06-19-2008, 12:57 PM
$1.00 a minute....DANG good money....Don't send an invoice!!!

Lawnut101
06-19-2008, 01:01 PM
She probably drives a cadillac too.

XterraJohn
06-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Save your pity, I don't think I'll be needing it. Whether it's $0.30, $3.00, or $3,000.00, is it not still a 60% profit margin? If you get a really big job, are you going to lower your profit margin down to 1% or 2% to avoid making too much profit?

I don't understand how some people are fine charging $35 for a 35 minutes lawn, but to do a 5 minutes job aren't happy with $5. Instead of charging tripple most people's normal hourly rate for maint., maybe you could just decide to set a minimum job size.

k911lowe
06-19-2008, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=whoopassonthebluegrass;2381243]I was out mowing a customer 2 weeks back and the neighbor comes over and asks me to edge theirs, too. I explain I'll do it the next week b/c I'm too far behind at the moment.

So I'm sending her an invoice for the other $ she owes me with a note explaining that $5 is less than it cost me to do it - and I'm not into charity work for rich folks.

sounds a little harsh with the last part.just let her know how much and always discuss price b4 you do anything..you should do it in person..

KGR landscapeing
06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
The thing is the lady has no idea how long it took. next time just charge her by the foot. Just to be a pain. 30 cents a ft no big deal its only 100ft

Grits
06-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I would send an invoice for the total amount. Wasn't the $5 she handed you an additional tip on what the invoice will be? :)

jkilov
06-19-2008, 06:26 PM
$5 for 5min is like $60/hr so that's fair. Of course if you'd have to drive by just for that then charging an extra $15 is a must.

Like someone already posted there should be a minimum size job with a min. price attached.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
what is your adress i will send you the money........

Chris G
06-19-2008, 08:55 PM
think you should just calmy approach this whole situation. I think you have the wrong idea hear, i mean maybe you wont get them as a customer, so what maybe they will put in a good word for you. And if your that tight on $$$ bill her the extra 10 and nicely say i think we had a misunderstanding and explain your reasoning.

HOOLIE
06-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I''ll have to reconsider my frustration. My opinion on the matter is obviously a in the minority...

But I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps I'll have avoided doing something rash by talking with y'all. Thanks...

What??? $2 in expenses? This is a neighbor of an existing account right? How did you arrive at that number? Let's see....already have an edger blade on...shave off a tiny bit of metal. Maybe a fraction of an ounce of gas used. No need to invoice as you're at the house already.

By the way you've wasted more than the original 5 minutes it took to edge by coming on here and venting over it...

dishboy
06-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Five dollars for the edging, five dollars for the bookkeeping and five dollars material cost, send her a invoice for the other 10 she owes you.

Lawn-Scapes
06-19-2008, 11:32 PM
You had 2 opportunities to speak up.. live and learn. Besides.. it was cash money! :D

gorknoids
06-20-2008, 12:12 AM
We used to work the condos adjoining PETA headquarters in Norfolk. The director of operations came out one day and asked me how much it would cost to mow under the wax myrtles along the sidewalk on their side. Knowing that the return trip along the sidewalk was free (It was one swath down, turn off the blades, and drive it back to the trailer) I said "20.00". She asked "That's all?" I broke the cup holder, the gear shift, and the visor in the truck kicking myself in the face on my way to the next job.
Yeah, I have taken money from PETA.*trucewhiteflag*

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-20-2008, 12:55 AM
what is your adress i will send you the money........

LOL.

What??? $2 in expenses? This is a neighbor of an existing account right? How did you arrive at that number? Let's see....already have an edger blade on...shave off a tiny bit of metal. Maybe a fraction of an ounce of gas used. No need to invoice as you're at the house already.

By the way you've wasted more than the original 5 minutes it took to edge by coming on here and venting over it...

Yeah, $2 in expenses. Invoice=toner+paper+envelope+printer wear and tear+postage. My wife does the billing, but that doesn't make it free. Easily $1...

Wear and tear on edger blade and blowers, plus fuel for edger and blower. Then distribute insurance+truck,etc, however small the fraction of their cost may be - and I'm easily at another $1.

My customers don't get to dictate what I do with MY time, Hoolie. Do you schedule yourself 24 /7? Get a clue... And I can't mow after dark... unless I'm way behind. :laugh:

Knowing your operating costs is something that clearly eludes most folks on this site. And even if you disagree, I'd much rather err in this direction than the other...

Sounds a little harsh with the last part.just let her know how much and always discuss price b4 you do anything..you should do it in person..

I, of course, wouldn't actually express that particular frustration. I have SOME people skills. :D

Whether it's $0.30, $3.00, or $3,000.00, is it not still a 60% profit margin?... I don't understand how some people are fine charging $35 for a 35 minutes lawn, but to do a 5 minutes job aren't happy with $5.

It's called OVERHEAD. As a solo operator who isn't expanding, my time is VERY limited. I have no interest in piddly work. (Which is, of course, ironic - considering what I did.) But I did it b/c I didn't forsee getting burned, always look for new blood, work hard to uphold my biz' image...

Maybe I should be more accurate:

5 minutes to edge
3 minutes to initially discuss the prospect with her
1 minute to get underpaid
7 minutes (???) to create a new customer in Quickbooks, create invoice, print invoice, fold invoice, insert invoice into envelope, lick shut, add stamp, walk to mailbox.

So, YEAH, a $3 profit is horse crap based on 16 minutes of work.

freshprince94
06-20-2008, 02:06 AM
I've done small edging jobs for $10, I was helping a neighbor out. I don't usually just edge without mowing though.

johnnie5
06-20-2008, 03:03 AM

5 minutes to edge
7 minutes (???) to create a new customer in Quickbooks, create invoice, print invoice, fold invoice, insert invoice into envelope, lick shut, add stamp, walk to mailbox.

well when she asked you could have said yes no probs i can do it now for you its $15

she could have said no too much dont worry or said no probs i will go and get the money for you now , you could have done the 5 mins edge used a few cents of gas and been away , and possibly had a monthly edge job

lets face it , it was a 1 of job which paid cash , who would actually log that as a job and create a customer etc , you would grab that $5 and buy lunch with it

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-20-2008, 03:57 AM
well when she asked you could have said yes no probs i can do it now for you its $15

Again, she just asked me to do it - no qualifications. How often have YOU asked someone to do work for you without knowing what it'll cost? I NEVER have. I'm too much of a penny pincher...

who would actually log that as a job and create a customer etc...

I would. I would anticipate doing it again in the future... And again, I was looking at $15, not $5...

Carolina Cuts
06-20-2008, 08:03 AM
it was a 1 of job which paid cash , who would actually log that as a job and create a customer etc , you would grab that $5 and buy lunch with it

Oooh boy, here we go now.... this is gonna start all whole new topic when the LS IRS Lil' helpers see this one...:cry::cry:

DLAWNS
06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Oooh boy, here we go now.... this is gonna start all whole new topic when the LS IRS Lil' helpers see this one...:cry::cry:

Thats hilarious. By the way: whoopassonthebluegrass---I see both sides of the argument, but don't just listen to everyone else. You are building a reputable business as it sounds and you have to do what you feel is right.

HOOLIE
06-20-2008, 09:03 AM
LOL.

My customers don't get to dictate what I do with MY time, Hoolie. Do you schedule yourself 24 /7? Get a clue... And I can't mow after dark... unless I'm way behind. :laugh:

Knowing your operating costs is something that clearly eludes most folks on this site. And even if you disagree, I'd much rather err in this direction than the other...

Dude, this lady has gotten into your head, so yeah, she is dictating what you're doing with your free time. At least on this particular night.

You're just mad at yourself for not stepping up and getting paid what you felt you deserve. Take your lumps and get on with it.

I'd love to see a numbers breakdown still of how you arrived at a $2 cost for this particular job.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
You're just mad at yourself for not stepping up and getting paid what you felt you deserve. Take your lumps and get on with it.

I'd love to see a numbers breakdown still of how you arrived at a $2 cost for this particular job.

Yeah, you nailed it on the head. I'm not a confrontational person - and she was just soooooo excited I'd done it I didn't have the gumption to burst her bubble.

As for my costs. I included it earlier in a response where I quoted you. (Though I failed to include taxes in that # - so it's even easirt to attain...)

Oh well, life goes on. Maybe I'll try to vindicate myself by setting her up on a bi-weekly program...

B_gerrits
06-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Some people...

The funny thing is she probaly think she was being nice giving you the 5 bucks. If it only took you 5 min that is a dollar a min how much do you charge? What kind of equip do you use that uses more than 5 dollars for a 5 min job? Anyways you need to quote a price before doing the work if I was you I just let this one go or she will be bad mouthing you to everyone who will listen.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-20-2008, 01:18 PM
...Anyways you need to quote a price before doing the work if I was you...

All your comments have already been related. And, specific to this quote here, how often do you hire someone without talking price? Doesn't that say something?...

Charles
06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
I either quote a prices up front or tell them a hourly rate. You didn't think to do this and she didn't think to ask for it. Really this has happened to me before. I corrected them before excepting the money. "Oh no ms/mr joe tightwad its $10(or whatever) more than that. Another response said let this one go, and when they ask you again, correct them on the price. I would do that

Lawnbiz Jeff
06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
LOL.

Yeah, $2 in expenses. Invoice=toner+paper+envelope+printer wear and tear+postage. My wife does the billing, but that doesn't make it free. Easily $1...

Wear and tear on edger blade and blowers, plus fuel for edger and blower. Then distribute insurance+truck,etc, however small the fraction of their cost may be - and I'm easily at another $1.

I, of course, wouldn't actually express that particular frustration. I have SOME people skills. :D

It's called OVERHEAD. As a solo operator who isn't expanding, my time is VERY limited. I have no interest in piddly work. (Which is, of course, ironic - considering what I did.) But I did it b/c I didn't forsee getting burned, always look for new blood, work hard to uphold my biz' image...

5 minutes to edge

Why are you creating an invoice and setting up this one-time job as a new customer?

lawnboy858
06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I've done a couple edging jobs for neighbors. I charged them 40$ for the initial edge and clean-up, being that it hadn't been edged before. It only took my about 30 minutes.

B_gerrits
06-20-2008, 05:13 PM
I am not trying to critique you but i dont know why you would bill someone or create a new customer for a five min job. If it was me I would just quote the price and get paid on spot no 7 minutes for billing or wear and tear on the printer. Also if you didnt want to do it a polite I would like to help you out but I am booked soild would suffice. As to whopassonthebluegrass I would never hire anyone without talking price but then again I would never pay anyone $40 to egge my lawn either.

BCLM
06-20-2008, 05:31 PM
sad isnt it, dont let ourselves be brought into a situation like that although we all have fell for a quick cheap job and learnt from it,
I have recently re seeded a lawn from a moss invasive, damp, tiny yard, the friend asked me to seed and get grass growing in 1 week, so off I went raked the moss out, aerated by hand, as access is poor, re seeded with Axcella 2 seed, sanded with USGA sand, and fertilised, I went to the graduation held at the location one week later, I walked outside and there was the grass over 3-4 inches high, I felt embarrased, she had told me the grass had not taken well, at the grad was a influential parliament member and big wig who was impressed to see I had grown grass in 1 week, the charges were over $300, total time 3hrs see if you do use proper products, know your product and timing then you can make good money, however you must discuss a price 1st, and the $5 edging put it to charity and dont do it again,.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Why are you creating an invoice and setting up this one-time job as a new customer?

90% of the time one-time-customers come back for more... eventually...

I am not trying to critique you but i dont know why you would bill someone or create a new customer for a five min job.

Because I have methods for running a professional corporation - I'm not just some dumb fool riding mom's craftsman around the neighbor's yard... If you want to be taken seriously, then act in such a manner that evokes that type of response.

...put it to charity and dont do it again,.

Yeah. I just hate myself for ALLOWING this to happen...

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Grow the heck up. Is the $10 missing gonna cause you not to eat tonite? You both made a mistake but let it go, it's $10. Most people on here say shoot for $1 per minute, you got that. And I never enter one time customers in quickbooks, use a seperate 2-part invoice book (customer gets one, and one for your records).

Albemarle Lawn
06-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Just my one sentence is about $10

Dave_005
06-20-2008, 08:45 PM

Some people...

YOU Screwed UP !!! NEVER DO ANY JOB WITHOUT DISCUSSING PRICE FIRST !!!! You did the work without a set price and Without Discussing any price or cost so that homeowner wasn't legally required to pay you anything. basically you did a freebie and the homeowner gave you $5 for it anyway. Live and Learn NEVER do ANY work without a set price Agreed on by both you and the homeowner !

philmdamien
06-20-2008, 08:50 PM
YOU Screwed UP !!! NEVER DO ANY JOB WITHOUT DISCUSSING PRICE FIRST !!!! You did the work without a set price and Without Discussing any price or cost so that homeowner wasn't legally required to pay you anything. basically you did a freebie and the homeowner gave you $5 for it anyway. Live and Learn NEVER do ANY work without a set price Agreed on by both you and the homeowner !

Exactly and it was on the smallest of jobs....imagine how upset he'd be if it was $500 not $5....

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Exactly and it was on the smallest of jobs....imagine how upset he'd be if it was $500 not $5....

I think you're blowing this out of proportion... it was a principle that I was griping about here, not the specific job...

philmdamien
06-20-2008, 09:33 PM
As it been said over and over the principle is you screwed up, you agreed to do a job without first talking price. This whole thread is blown out of proportion.

derbydon
06-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Confused. Maybe my math is bad but isn't $5 for 5 min equal to $60 per hour?

If you guys are getting more then $60 per manhour I'm moving to your town!

Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against a good profit margin, but in my market you just can't average much more than $45 to $50 per manhour and not be completely out-of-line on residential pricing.

Hope it works out.

customcurbdesigns
06-20-2008, 10:01 PM

Because I have methods for running a professional corporation - I'm not just some dumb fool riding mom's craftsman around the neighbor's yard... If you want to be taken seriously, then act in such a manner that evokes that type of response.

I have a professional corp...but who the hell would invoice for 5.00 cash transaction?

Are you even being serious? Its 5 freakin $$$...jesus, get a life.:cry:

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I have a professional corp...but who the hell would invoice for 5.00 cash transaction?

Are you even being serious? Its 5 freakin $$$...jesus, get a life.:cry:

Are you really so thick that you don't get it? It was only a $5 transaction b/c she deemed it so. It was gonna be a $15. Run your business how you want. I'll run mine. I'll put money on the fact that I'll come out ahead b/c I'm not the ass you appear to be. What with your 1 year of experience and all...

Lawn-Scapes
06-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Are you really so thick that you don't get it? It was only a $5 transaction b/c she deemed it so. It was gonna be a $15. Run your business how you want. I'll run mine. I'll put money on the fact that I'll come out ahead b/c I'm not the ass you appear to be. What with your 1 year of experience and all...

Holy smokes.. It turned into a $5 transaction because YOU allowed it to happen!!! Like I said earlier.. live and learn. Stick the money in your pocket and move on.

ATL Lawn
06-20-2008, 11:37 PM

yeah, what he said

PerfectEarth
06-21-2008, 12:13 AM

Hahaha, seems like a popular quote...thread should have ended right here.

customcurbdesigns
06-21-2008, 09:50 AM

haha , I guess the guy with 15 years still cant figure out he should price a job before doing it...:cool2:

Guess I should take after you...lol

philmdamien
06-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Now that's a thread ender.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-21-2008, 12:15 PM
haha , I guess the guy with 15 years still cant figure out he should price a job before doing it...:cool2:

Guess I should take after you...lol

Ha. :) Wish there was a realistic hope that we end up flawless... but that just isn't gonna happen. So I'll eat crow along the way every now and again. Just like all the rest. Sorry for the name calling. I got a bit defensive as every response that came in alluded to my idiocy. :dizzy:

Ah well, live and learn. To be specific: don't look for sympathy on lawnsite. There's none to be had. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

topsites
06-21-2008, 12:22 PM

I know where you're coming from now.

I had a guy earlier this year get me good, just like yourself I didn't see it coming, for one it doesn't come around my way much anymore so I wasn't expecting it. Difference was in my case it was a LOT more work than it was made out to be, and so it was underbid by a great margin, and yeah that's my fault.... But I didn't see it coming and just like in your case after it was all said and done the guy is SO trying to bestow down upon me, I lost my cool and drove off without getting paid.

It was over $100 worth of work, and I was SO pissed off I was going to send that to collections and have them put it on that farking forker's credit record, so as to say 'don't do that!'

I never did anything about it either.
Just let it work itself out, it kept me steamed for a while, but time helps.

M&SLawnCare
06-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Was payment mentioned in any way shape or form in the initual meeting? If not then your at fault, not her. It sounds like she was just asking for a quick favor and the 5$ was just a little something for helping her out. Yes that does happen and i'm sure we've all been asked to help a neighbor out real quick. If that is what happened do you really think she'll appritiate the additude and being forced to pay out at 180$/hour with nothing said up front?

I wouldn't pay it under those circumstances and i'ld make sure everyone i knew heard about it. Is that bad press worth 10$, that you probably wont collect anyway? Live and learn. If she asks you agian then take that opertunity to explain the price to her.

B_gerrits
06-22-2008, 03:44 AM

Professional Corp of one? I actually get 90% of my buis from referalls or return customers so I dont think not writing a sales invoice for a five min job has hurt me any. Personally I think writing up an invoice in this case is excessive but to each his own. I actually have gotten buis for doing a five min job and handing out a buis card and not charging for it. left the cust saying gee that guy is nice and called with a whole landscaping job.

XterraJohn
06-22-2008, 05:22 AM
I actually have gotten buis for doing a five min job and handing out a buis card and not charging for it. left the cust saying gee that guy is nice and called with a whole landscaping job.

Well played. :clapping:

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Professional Corp of one? One in the field, one in the office. My point is that I'm not a local college kid who drives around the yard smoking a cigarette and going shirtless, with the only motivation for my being there coming down to: my truck payment and beer money. We are professionals. We are dependable and reliable. We're going to be here year in and year out. We're going to look presentable and do quality work...

Man, so many of you are like buzzards...

Charles
06-22-2008, 10:59 AM
One in the field, one in the office. My point is that I'm not a local college kid who drives around the yard smoking a cigarette and going shirtless, with the only motivation for my being there coming down to: my truck payment and beer money. We are professionals. We are dependable and reliable. We're going to be here year in and year out. We're going to look presentable and do quality work...

Man, so many of you are like buzzards...

On that note this thread is closed. Just going downhill