PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper 729 question

coyote556
06-19-2008, 02:46 AM
I am looking at a 729 grasshopper with a 72" deck. It has the gas Kubota engine. My question is will the engine be powerful enough for side discharge on that 72" deck? Anyone have experience with this combo? thanks

retrodog
06-19-2008, 02:59 AM
I am looking at a 729 grasshopper with a 72" deck. It has the gas Kubota engine. My question is will the engine be powerful enough for side discharge on that 72" deck? Anyone have experience with this combo? thanks

My father in law has a 2007 729 with 139 hours with the 61inch deck to mow 5 acres with. He is wanting to sell it after mowing on my lightning. I will ship it to you for $9500 and it doesn't have a scratch on it...lol. It does kinda lay the grass down in front of the chute in a (going back to bale kinda way). He is scared to take the chute off, cause there is a big warning on it (I think it will disperse better with it off). Hope my 2 helped! Don't get stuck with the 4 gallon gas tank, make sure it has the 8 (I got stuck with a 4 on a 722D!)

coyote556
06-19-2008, 03:10 AM
will it power through thick stuff with that 61" deck?

retrodog
06-19-2008, 03:19 AM
When the grass is wet it boggs up to the point that it dies sometimes on him early in the morning in the dew. As far as heavy stuff, he mowed a lot for the bank next door to him that was an overgrown field, and it looked pretty good. I had the 722d 06 model, and it was about the same power, and I mowed some pretty thick stuff with it (I mow the lots that you can't even see me and the mower in...lol), it also had the same wet grass issue. I would slow down to a crawl in the morning to keep it from dieing. I think the front deck takes more power to get to myself, but its never been proven I don't think. My only issues with mine were some grass clumping, I couldn't mow till after 9 after the dew lifts, and I threw a hydro belt 4 times in 179 hours. I sold mine last year for $7900, and swapped over to the BB's for the speed and comfortable ride.