PDA

View Full Version : mr-8 and gutter mount

David Gretzmier
06-19-2008, 02:00 AM
I've put in some mr-8 j-lighters from nightscaping in the past and did a bid today that included 6 gutter mounts on a 2 story home with setback dormer/peaks. I was wondering if there are any other mr-8 fixtures out there, or maybe some tiny bi-pin floods that cost less than a tank of gas? I was quite shocked when told of the cost of J-liters today, they are at least twice what they used to be at my local supply place.

I am also looking for another option on gutter mounts if anyone has ideas.

on a seperate rant, WHY are j-liters so high anyway? it literally is a one inch copper pipe, a socket, and a few smaller pieces of pipe with screws. I think I could build a workable gutter mount mr-8 fixture in an hour with 10 bucks in copper pipe parts!

JoeyD
06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I dont have an MR8 but I have an MR11 that is real nice.....not a flood though, more of a bullet/spot. Not sure what gutter mount you are using, I thought we were the only company that made one for lighting? I could be wrong.....My suggestion for lighting out of gutters is to use the steller, I think a lot of guys like this application.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/POLARIS.htm

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/Gutterbracket.jpg

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2008, 09:48 AM
I have a couple of the SPJ mr8 lights here. We took them out of the landscape and reinstalled them in the rafters above the bbq outside and they work nice. That with Joeys uni bracket might work nice for ya ? Not sure on the cost comparison tho. Well built light from SPJ but I think they are kinda high in the price dept if I rememeber right.

David Gretzmier
06-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I really don't get the price unless the volume is so low on mr-8s that the tooling is just way expensive to manufacture. I'm gonna actually try to make an mr-8 fixture with a 1 inch sched. 40 copper pipe, a 1 inch cap that I will drill out for lens and a 45 degree street elbow to 1/2 male pipe thread for mounting to base. an o-ring for lens and a socket should complete the job. I've got that simialr gutter base above, it may be from joey's company, I buy it at an electrical supply place here called upchurch electric.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-19-2008, 11:28 PM
David, have fun building that fixture... but remember not to install it onto a client's home until it is either Listed by UL, ETL, ARL, CSA etc OR you might have the ability to have your local Electrical Safety Agency inspect and 'sticker' individual fixtures as we can have done here in Ontario. Either way, make sure it is 'passed' before you install them on a client's property.

I learned this the hard way a number of years ago.... NEVER again.

Eden Lights
06-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Stick with MR11s over the MR8's due to the lamp life, unless it's a must in very special, visable location.

irrig8r
06-20-2008, 09:44 AM
David, you're welcome to a Jayliter I have here that I got as a sample a couple of years ago if you have something reasonable to trade.... I'm just not that impressed with it, and the cost of an MR-8 lamp is ridiculous...

Pro-Scapes
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
the color doesnt match or at least the ones I have dont. Its much cooler color. Works nice over the bbq but it might be getting swapped out for something a bit diff soon

David Gretzmier
06-21-2008, 01:54 AM
something reasonable to trade...I've got a cool super bright ( for aa) cree aa flashlight with those sharpened tip thiny's for close in weapon use. would be great for the glove box. I'd throw in some keychain button lights...pm me if you are interested.

as fas as getting it UL listed, i'm just playing around to see if I can build it first. I've found a source of mr-18's that is reasonable priced, let's say, between washington and lincoln. Since I sorta build and modify flashlights I'm gonna have a go at a landscape light.

for the record, I've check a few of my lights, and some have the UL sticker and some don't, but then I checked a new kichler 120 volt fixture I am installing in my house( wall sconce ) , and it does not have the UL sticker either.

Litewerks Expert Lighting
07-18-2008, 10:33 AM
i've got access to a really nice mr8 fixture that i use for surface mount. the price is right. drop me an email if youd like and i will get with you on pricing. dustin.huling@gmail.com

Tomwilllight
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I think the MR8 is a junk lamp. No life, lousy color, poor distribution and wicked expensive, all it has is "cuteness". I used them for years in the Winona Spirit pathlight where the indirect use of the lamp moderated all the other problems but the lousy life. I finally got tired of always replacing lamps and stopped specifying the Spirit.

Tom

irrig8r
07-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Tom, do you or have you used the Winona Jensons/ JEBRs?

What do you like/ dislike about them?

Looks to me like it might be the "holy grail" that James has been searching for to use with his MR-16 LEDs.

JoeyD
07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I think the MR8 is a junk lamp. No life, lousy color, poor distribution and wicked expensive, all it has is "cuteness". I used them for years in the Winona Spirit pathlight where the indirect use of the lamp moderated all the other problems but the lousy life. I finally got tired of always replacing lamps and stopped specifying the Spirit.

Tom

I agree!!! :clapping:

Tomwilllight
07-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I've used them and my response to the Jenson is complex: I sell a lot of brass pathlights, in fact I can only recall only two jobs that I sold aluminum. I find brass to be a very easy sale; the quality and durablity of the material is obvious to my clients.

Positive - As far as I know, there is no pathlight out there that produces as lovely a distribution as the Winona Spirit/Jenson series. Winona's people are excellent and they support their product.

Negative - (and this is very picky) I don't like to look of the Winona brass when it ages - it doesn't develop the rich, warm black I like. I want PL to blend with the garden and Winona's patina doesn't do that for me.

2nd, I think the shape of the cap/reflector is awkward and to angular when compared to other product. Again the problem with blending with organics.

3rd, I also think the Jenson is oversized for residential applications because of the amount of room taken up by the MR16. And the Spirit requires a junk lamp.

For me, there is other product out there that may not have the light distribution but other issues make the decision for me.

Is the Jenson possibly the "Holy Grail" for retrofit MR16 LEDs? Maybe... The lamp chamber for the MR16 is pretty tight as I recall and there may be some problems with most MR16 LED retrofits

Winona does list the JEBRLED with a 9 watt, 6500K LED and a full range of lenses to modify the color temp. I hope they rethink that approach soon.

Tom

Litewerks Expert Lighting
07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
I typically only use the mr-8 for gutter mount and when i do i always put them on their own run.I tap it in at around 11 volts if possible. I use prism bulbs and typically get at least a year out of them but i have heard of plenty of people who do not like to use them. i just find that they are great for dormers especially because you can aim the fixture to just hit the peaks and not the windows. wow it is awesome to be talking to people who like this stuff as much as me !