PDA

View Full Version : Bed areas with Mulch and Pine Needles

101 Lawn Care
06-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Quick question for you guys. Do you bury your wires in bed areas or just cover with mulch or pine needles?

CALandscapes
06-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I've seen it done both ways.

TXNSLighting
06-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Youve see it wrong then. Never bury under the mulch!! Thats just bad. always bury in the ground.

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Ryan is right. Rake back the straw or mulch then bury. If done with care no one will know you been there.

Also a good idea is to route wires away from seasonal planting areas where possible and go extra deep or use a piece of steel pipie to protect wires at bed edges where they are most likley to get cut.

David Gretzmier
06-19-2008, 12:43 PM
rake back mulch, take pick and drag small trench or use stick edger for dirt, or flat spade- plunge and wiggle. the reality is the first guy that tries to plant a bush in the beds will take a regular shovel, jump on it with both feet, and cut the wire. unless you bury 12-14 inches deep, which nobody does, your wire is really only as safe as the guy coming behind you. so I try to route wires right next to the foundation or right on the edge of the beds ( unless they are maintenance "dug" edges ) and straight to fixtures. Lot's less likely to have folks digging there.

TXNSLighting
06-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I always try to run by the edge with my wire, and yes, get it as deep as possible. landscapers dont care about your wires...