PDA

View Full Version : Irrigating Vinyard

poiuy qwerty
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
We have a customer who wants us to install drip system for a vinyard. Each plant needs 2 gallons of water per day. We are going to be working off of a
2" main. Is it possible or reasonable to go from a 2" main to a drip line? or would you go from 2" pvc to 1" poly and tap into that with the emitters? Let me know what you think.

Wet_Boots
06-19-2008, 10:33 AM
How many vines?

Dripit good
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
We have a customer who wants us to install drip system for a vinyard. Each plant needs 2 gallons of water per day. We are going to be working off of a
2" main. Is it possible or reasonable to go from a 2" main to a drip line? or would you go from 2" pvc to 1" poly and tap into that with the emitters? Let me know what you think.

Yes. Go from your 2" main to gate or ball valve into a 1" RBY filter, then you can run 1" poly to a maximum 800' using 200+\- 6.6gph PC spray emitters for your delivery (assuming you have normal psi & gpm off your main). Just did something similar to a temporary tree holding area. Works great.

poiuy qwerty
06-19-2008, 05:10 PM
right now there are 15 rows of 35 vines +/-
they plan on expanding as far as they can
we have a 2hp pump that will give us approx 40gpm

Dripit good
06-19-2008, 05:25 PM
What's your psi?

Tom Tom
06-19-2008, 05:34 PM
right now there are 15 rows of 35 vines +/-
they plan on expanding as far as they can
we have a 2hp pump that will give us approx 40gpm

how far are the vines apart?

EagleLandscape
06-19-2008, 07:28 PM
dont do spray. you dont want to get the leaves or the fruit wet on wine grapes. do drip irrigation.

i would use netafim with a strainer and pressure reducer. you can even have the drip line suspended on a wire for the vines depending on what pruning system they are using.

Wet_Boots
06-19-2008, 07:43 PM
New vines in California are watered with emitters on tubing suspended about a foot off the ground.

EagleLandscape
06-19-2008, 07:52 PM
where is this vineyard? somewhere in north texas?

best thing is to forget anything anyone of us has to say, and called the agriculture extension agency and ask them:).

or call Dr. McEachern with Texas A&M and ask him.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-19-2008, 08:54 PM
pics from anyone in this thread talking about dripping vineyards plz

bcg
06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
dont do spray. you dont want to get the leaves or the fruit wet on wine grapes. do drip irrigation.

i would use netafim with a strainer and pressure reducer. you can even have the drip line suspended on a wire for the vines depending on what pruning system they are using.

I recently spoke with someone who did something very similar to this for a vineyard, only he was pumping water from a stock tank into a cistern and then using gravity only to geed the drip system. He had the drip line suspended on a wire about 18 - 24 inches off the ground, running right down the rows.

EagleLandscape
06-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Soil conditions are going to be the main factor in how much water to supply. My uncle in New Mexico can run the irrigation 24/7 if he wanted.

I wish we had that option in Texas.